There was a time when Juli Everett was hesitant to call herself a witch, or use the word in relation to her work.
Lately, she has shed that inhibition.
The 32-year-old licensed massage therapist was always called to help others through her lifelong interest in herbology, astrology and other techniques that foster spiritual and emotional wellness. She recalled being a middle school student in Sag Harbor and, after school, walking to Metaphysical Books and Tools, the now defunct Main Street store, to satisfy that innate curiosity at a time when alternative approaches to medicine, healing and self-care were not the trendy cultural fascination is today.
Throughout the years, she has come to reclaim the definition of what it means to be witch.
I believe the definition of a witch is a Woman In Total Control of Herself, she said, before adding, with emphasis, Period.
Personally, my belief is that every woman who walks the earth is a witch. The things that youre the absolute best at, and the things you can create, thats what youre a witch of.
Everett founded Knead and Seed two years ago, and it grew faster, and in different ways than she anticipated, becoming so much more than a massage business. The shop is located in a two-story house on a picturesque piece of property in a secluded and wooded area off Merchants Path, on the border of Sag Harbor and East Hampton.
The space where Everett operates her multi-faceted business is an extension of her personality. A large shelf covers one wall, stacked with books on astrology, massage and other forms she practices. The mantle over a large fireplace features, among other things, photos of both her great-grandmother and aunt, who she cites as big influences in her life. A chalkboard in the small working kitchen has a new message everyday; a deck of oracle cards are fanned out, face down, on a nearby counter.
Everett uses many methods to work with her clients, but usually starts by asking them to pull an oracle card. The simple action is usually enough to get the tears flowing or bring out emotions. Then she takes a look at their chart. Even people who start off as skeptics usually come back for more, she says. Its human nature.
People want to be told about themselves, she said. Thats why were here. We have to help ourselves so that whatever we decide to push out into the universe is successful. Otherwise its BS.
Though she never intended to portray herself as a jack of all trades, she sees a synergy in everything provided at the shop. Among the most popular offerings are the full moon and new moon goddess circle gatherings, where women are invited to come and share what theyve been experiencing and carrying with them in their lives in a judgment-free zone. In less than two years, more than 130 different women have attended the circles, which initially began as a one-time gathering of a few of her closest friends in the first week she was open.
Juli makes you feel accepted, and encourages you to show your truth in a safe environment surrounded by women who are supportive, said client Melissa Lynch. Its very hard to put into words. You just have to try it to understand it. Its something everyone should experience at least once.
She has magic hands, Lynch added. When you walk into Knead and Seed, you immediately feel welcomed.
Creating that feeling of acceptance is exactly what Everett intended. And though Knead and Seeds caters to all, there is no denying its devoted female clientele. Helping women harness their power is at the core of what Everett does, and she hopes to expand that mission with Knead and Seed as time goes by.
I wanted to start a place thats a safe space for women to land and feel validated, she said. I think they come with a sense of wanting to be spiritually connected to themselves with a group of women where everyone can feel validated.
She plans to expand her teaching abilities in the future, and wants to host more retreats, which is a service shes offered more recently. For now, she says she is simply grateful for the people who have walked through her doors, and is proud not only of what she has done for them, but what they have done for themselves.
Im just so thankful to all of the women that have stepped in and have been such a support to this place, she said. But mostly, that they keep showing up for themselves. Im just really thankful that people are becoming more open.
Knead and Seed is located at 146 Merchants Path, Sag Harbor
See the original post here:
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local Westwood - January 5th, 2020
- Expanding the physical and spiritual in Swansea space - Fall River Herald News - January 5th, 2020
- Fruit Of The Spirit, According To Galatians 5 - YourTango - January 5th, 2020
- Practices and spiritual world of Jhakri in Nepal - Khabarhub - January 5th, 2020
- Messiahs Mehdi Dehbi on Authenticity of Character Coming From Within - Variety - January 5th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - December 30th, 2019
- Spirituality - December 30th, 2019
- What is spirituality? | Spirituality | ReachOut Australia - December 30th, 2019
- Homage to Vishvesha Teertha: Monk who did not confine spirituality to his room, but embraced one and all - MyNation - December 30th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Where is your storm home? | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - December 30th, 2019
- Metro Exodus is the spiritual successor to Stalker we might never get - PC Gamer - December 30th, 2019
- 'Spiritual realization must to face modern days issues' - Deccan Herald - December 30th, 2019
- Your Spiritual Year in Review: Looking Back to Look Forward to Growth - Patheos - December 30th, 2019
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: To give like the magi - News - Wicked Local - December 30th, 2019
- Demi Lovato Celebrates Her Spiritual 'Rebirth' With New Tattoo: See The Ink - iHeartRadio - December 30th, 2019
- Comedian Geoffrey Asmus plans to get spiritual, swear, and record an album at Sisyphus - City Pages - December 30th, 2019
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019