LOS ANGELES >> For Linna Spransy, who grew up in a Christian commune in Oregon with a rock musician father, religion and art have always been intertwined.
"Religious lifestyle, and expression and art were all the same thing," Spransy told Religion News Service.
Spransy is one of the directors of Bridge Projects, a new Southern California gallery that seeks to link art with spiritual and religious traditions.
The gallery's inaugural exhibition, "10 Columns" by artist Phillip K. Smith III, features glowing mirrored panels that convert the otherwise dark room into a simulated sunrise and sunset. The panels shift colors, from warm yellow and orange tones to bright blue and red hues.
The exhibit opened in October in Bridge Project's 7,000-square-foot gallery, which sits between a Mobil gas station and a Public Storage facility on Santa Monica Boulevard. Visitors to the gallery have described their experiences in the space on Instagram, calling the installation "enthralling" and saying it made them feel reflective and meditative.
Is one witnessing a sunrise or a sunset, a cultural awakening or a catastrophic meltdown? wrote Julia Ingalls in The Architect's Newspaper.
Bridge Projects directors Spransy and Cara Megan Lewis, who are both artists, said they wanted to create a space where people can talk about spiritual and religious perspectives.
The two have known each other for about a decade and both have roots in Kansas, where Lewis had a gallery space.
Lewis, whose background is in commercial galleries, said she's seen how artists have felt the need to "suppress their faith traditions or religious convictions in the context of the contemporary art world."
"Just a fear of rejection and misunderstanding," she said.
Lewis, who grew up in the Methodist church, said she was raised with a faith-driven and social justice mindset that has influenced her own art. She was part of an interactive artwork, dubbed "34,000 Pillows," that drew attention to a congressional rule that required the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to maintain 34,000 beds in its facilities.
Bridge Projects was funded by Roberta Ahmanson, who along with her husband, Howard Ahmanson, was in 2005 named as one of Time magazine's "25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America." Spransy said Roberta Ahmanson began collecting her work when Spransy was still in Kansas City.
The Ahmansons have a track record of funding cultural endeavors, spanning back to the late Howard Ahmanson Sr., whose family name is on the Ahmanson Theatre in LA.
Through the private philanthropy Fieldstead and Co., Ahmanson and her husband have sponsored a number of art exhibitions in the United States and Great Britain along with journalism about the arts and religion. Fieldstead and Co. also funded support of California's Proposition 8, a same-sex marriage ban that passed but that was later ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge.
Roberta Ahmanson, a former newspaper reporter and editor who covered religion in Southern California, said that in order to understand human beings, you need to understand their beliefs.
"You need to be able to talk about it in the art world because it's there," Ahmanson added. "It was just a subject you couldnt talk about."
With the "10 Columns" exhibition, which continues through Feb. 16, Bridge Projects has hosted programming that relates to "the subject matter of light from diverse sources."
In November, anthropologist Ronald Faulseit lectured about the role natural light played in influencing ancient temples, ritual and religion in Mesoamerica. Earlier this month, artist Lita Albuquerque spoke about her work and the intersections of light, landscape and scientific cosmologies.
Spransy is pleased to see people being open to this kind of programming.
"I was really encouraged and interested in how many people responded well when we talked about inviting archaeologists to come talk about Mesoamerican temple architecture and the fact that light orientation was so important to a lot of ancient cultures," she said.
Spransy said that in her professional life, she's been told that religion and art need to be "strained out from one another."
She hopes the new gallery proves otherwise.
"I still believe it doesnt have to be that way, and it shouldnt," she said.
(Editor's note: Fieldstead and Co. has supported past RNS arts coverage through a grant to the Religion News Foundation.)
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020
- Exploring the Meaning of Spirituality - dummies - March 16th, 2020
- Spirituality - March 16th, 2020
- We asked rabbis for their spiritual guidance in handling the coronavirus crisis. Here's what they said. - JTA News - March 16th, 2020
- Have Faith: Spirituality and addiction - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being in Times of Crisis - My Jewish Learning - March 16th, 2020
- Out & About: NAACP prayer breakfast focuses on spiritual weapons - TribLIVE - March 16th, 2020
- Social Distancing and Spiritual Dirction in the Age of COVID-19 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Local author comments on writing, spirituality and tying them together - Left Hand Valley Courier - March 16th, 2020
- A nation confronting its own mortality needs spiritual leadership. So where is Justin Welby? - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Rancor spreads faster than the virus - Enterprise News - March 16th, 2020
- Getting Spiritual Protection from Coronavirus - Wine-Searcher - March 16th, 2020
- I tried a spiritual awakening in one of Londons top hotels - and I couldnt believe what happened - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Should Coronavirus Stop Us from Going to Church? - Crosswalk.com - March 16th, 2020
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020