ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah (ABC4 News, ABC News) The sister of the missing hiker who survived 12 days in Zion National Park without any food or water said her survival is nothing short of a miracle.
38-year old Holly Courtier, the Woodland Hills mom who went missing inside the Zion National Park on Oct. 6, has checked herself into a mental health facility to process some trauma she has not dealt with for several years, her family told ABC News.
41-year-old Jaime Strong, one of Hollys sisters, said that Courtier had likely suffered a mental breakdown and had planned to go on a spiritual journey while eating no food or water for a couple of days inside the national park.
I think she went in there mentally wanting to be there, and then I think she was stuck in there physically, Strong said. She was in over her head and had no way to get out.
Strong said that she doesnt feel the incident was a cry for help, but rather a series of bad choices that just went horribly wrong. The sister confirmed that Holly had left the park in the middle of the night and did not tell her family where was going, planning to disconnect from technology, pray and read the Bible, and fast.
She wanted to go on a spiritual journey and had planned it out and decided to do it, Strong said.
Her family said that Holly was in the middle of a dry fast and had not eaten for several days prior to her arriving at the park. After over-exerting herself on the first day while going on a hike, the family said she suffered a concussion while setting up her hammock along the Virgin River and could not call for help.
When she was setting up her hammock between two trees, I guess there was a stump behind with a very sharp tree edge on it, Strong said. I guess when she sat into her hammock and kind of swung back, she hit her head very hard on the sharp edge of the tree.
She was very disoriented and very dizzy, Strong added. I think she bit off more than she could chew. She definitely thought she could fast longer than she could.
Courtier was allegedly unaware that there were search parties looking for her and signs posted throughout the park because she was disoriented, the family said. Courtier kept track of the number of days she was lost by writing them in black marker on a tree, per a photo provided to ABC News.
Strong said the family took Courtier to the emergency room and a doctor allegedly diagnosed her with a concussion, although the family said Holly had decided to forgo a MRI or CAT scan.The family said Courtier had lost approximately 18 pounds while out in the wilderness.
The familys statement comes after Sgt. Darrell Cashin, the liaison of the Washington County Sheriffs Search and Rescue for the past nine years and an advanced EMT, spoke out Tuesday about several discrepancies he says he sees between Zion National Parks and the familys statements.
Cashin says its a high possibility Courtier would have died if she was drinking the river water for 12 days amid a toxic algal bloom detected in the north fork of the Virgin River in early July. Without any water, she would have died within two to three days, he says.
If she had been drinking that water, unless she had some really high immune system, she wouldve been very, very ill and probably unable to come out on her own, Cashin said. She either took a lot of water with her or had another clean water source that was near here, but the Virgin River is not that source.
Strong told ABC News her sister was unable to call for help because she was so dehydrated she couldnt open her mouth and did not drink the river water. The family did not specify how Courtier was able to survive for 12 days without water.
Cashin also raised questions regarding Courtiers head injury as Zion National Park officials reported Courtier was able to leave on her own with minimal assistance and was released directly to her family.
If we had found somebody in that condition with that kind of severe head injury, we would have at minimum called for a transport agency to check her out, Cashin says. The fact that that didnt happen tells me that they did not find any significant injury to her that wouldve prompted them to do that.
Physically, she seemed to be in a condition that did not warrant an ambulance and they felt was comfortable to release her to her family to address, Cashin added.
Amanda Rowland, chief of interpretation atZionNational Park,told ABC4 News the final investigative report on the Courtier Search and Rescue (SAR) will be made public, although its unclear exactly when it will be released. ABC4 News requested a copy of the final investigative report from the U.S. Department of the Interior through the Freedom of Information Act.
Read more here:
- Ascend With Poog, the Spiritual Beauty Podcast - Papermag - January 25th, 2022
- September's Harvest Moon Will Bring Uneasiness and Opportunity - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- This New Moon in Aquarius Bao Will Help You Manifest Your Goals - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- 'I was so close to the sky. It was spiritual': Sonny Rollins on jazz landmark The Bridge at 60 - The Guardian - January 25th, 2022
- 3 reasons Star Trek: Prodigy is a spiritual successor to Voyager - Redshirts Always Die - January 25th, 2022
- The practice of meditation spans from the strictly spiritual to secular. - Monterey County Weekly - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Downtown - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- David Bowie Said It'd Be Really 'Hard' to Have George Harrison's Spiritual Life - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 25th, 2022
- Author Takes Readers on a Spiritual Journey and Provides Life-Changing Tips and Tricks - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 25th, 2022
- Health First's Director of Pastoral Care 'Father Bob' Bruckart Retires After 26 Years of Bedside Spiritual Care - SpaceCoastDaily.com - January 25th, 2022
- Good News, Mech Fans: Armored Core Spiritual Successor Will Soon Be Free - Kotaku - January 25th, 2022
- The Medical & Spiritual Solutions to End the COVID-19 Pandemic - Digital Journal - January 25th, 2022
- Sundance Q&A: 'Watcher' director Chloe Okuno on her spiritual nod to 'Rosemary's Baby' and the therapy of horror - Screen International - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- Ranking the NESCAC Mascot Costumes: An Emotional and Spiritual Journey - The Bates Student - January 25th, 2022
- A spiritual look at the violence in Columbus - WSAV-TV - December 14th, 2021
- Foucaults Political Spirituality, Punjab And TLP - The Friday Times - December 14th, 2021
- Whitney Hubbs's Unholy Rites for the Spiritually Bankrupt - frieze.com - December 14th, 2021
- Column: This Christmas, reach out to those who are spiritually, emotionally lonely - The Columbus Dispatch - December 14th, 2021
- Did COP26 Have Spiritual Implications? Yes, Says One Attendee. - ChristianityToday.com - December 14th, 2021
- The call of awakening - The New Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- If there is any country that is mother of spirituality, culture, democracy, it's India: Om Birla - Devdiscourse - December 14th, 2021
- Sunday Scripture reading, Jan. 9, 2022: New spiritual resolutions - Catholic News Service - December 14th, 2021
- Idol Worship: The Brooklyn Museums Important New Warhol Show Casts the Pop Artist in a Spiritual Light - artnet News - December 14th, 2021
- Need to spread spiritual intelligence, says Governor Koshyari - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- Varanasi: Spiritual and structural rejuvenation - Times of India - December 14th, 2021
- Explore Spiritual Warfare And Learn Defense Against The Forces Of Evil - WFMZ Allentown - December 14th, 2021
- ASIA/CHINA - Christmas lights are turned on: the Catholic community intensifies its spiritual journey and its works of charity - Agenzia Fides - December 14th, 2021
- Author and Spiritual Teacher Iyanla Vanzant on Missing Loved Ones During the Holidays: 'Make It a Celebration' - Inside Edition - December 14th, 2021
- How to Spot a Spiritual Impersonator Scam on Instagram (And What To Do) - Patheos - December 14th, 2021
- For spiritual reading or gift-giving, new readings on peace - The Hutchinson News - December 14th, 2021
- Hiker spots spooky 'spiritual' illusion in the clouds - Liverpool Echo - December 14th, 2021
- This Full Moon Limpia Will Heal Your Heart and Clear the Path For 2022 - POPSUGAR - December 14th, 2021
- SPIRITUAL: Shepherds were looked on with disdain | Life | pentictonherald.ca - pentictonherald.ca - December 14th, 2021
- The spiritual healing path is a way to healing your mind, body, and spirit - ABC 4 - May 17th, 2021
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Life (and traffic) returns to normal - Wicked Local - May 17th, 2021
- Time for a spiritual vaccine - The Times of India Blog - May 17th, 2021
- 'Run the World' is the spiritual successor to 'Living Single' we deserved all along - Yahoo News - May 17th, 2021
- DEBRIS Uses Science Fiction to Tell a Moving Spiritual Story - Nerdist - May 17th, 2021
- Spiritual Side: Food Distribution Drive-Thru in DeLand on May 15 and 29 - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- Are You Experiencing Bloating? | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - May 17th, 2021
- CRiver: Church of God Mission gets first indigenous spiritual leader - Vanguard - May 17th, 2021
- Prince Harry feels US is his spiritual home as he gears up to welcome baby girl - The News International - May 17th, 2021
- Cause & Effect: Where is Your Focus? - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2021
- Voices of Faith: Re-imagining the covenant as we mark Shavuot - Record-Courier - May 17th, 2021
- Between the lines: Do we have the spiritual grit our beliefs require? - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- MENTAL HEALTH WEEK: It's Important To Remain Mentally Healthy And Spirituality Can Help - South Asian Link - May 17th, 2021
- Meghan Markle is Diana's 'spiritual heir' and 'Age of Meghan' will last for years - Daily Express - May 17th, 2021
- Spirituality - From one end to other - Goa Chronicle - Goa Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- 8 Women in Spirituality to Know in 2021 - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Simplicity of spirituality - The New Indian Express - February 4th, 2021
- THE CREATIVE SOUL Podcast Explores The Intersection Of Creativity & Spirituality - Broadway World - February 4th, 2021
- Upcoming exhibit to show connection between lowriders and spirituality - KRQE News 13 - February 4th, 2021
- SOLOS goes on a spiritual journey with Bill Forchion - Brattleboro Reformer - February 4th, 2021
- Bring Me the Horizon's Oli Sykes Had 'Spiritual Rehab' With Monks at an Ashram - Loudwire - February 4th, 2021
- Skiing and the spiritual life - Arlington Catholic Herald - February 4th, 2021
- Spirituality for Millennials: Choosing quality over quantity is always a good idea - Free Press Journal - February 4th, 2021
- Horoscope, Thursday, February 4, 2021: Spiritual Day for Gemini, Love is in the Air for Virgo - India.com - February 4th, 2021
- Sophie Xeon passes away in terrible accident while being true to her spirituality - Republic World - February 4th, 2021
- Sundance's 'Son of Monarchs' Is the Spiritual and Scientific Anthem We Didn't Know We Needed - Daily Utah Chronicle - February 4th, 2021
- One of the last living spiritual sons of Padre Pio reveals what he learned - Aleteia EN - February 4th, 2021
- Vow of poverty: Jesuits to look at its spiritual, practical implications - The Catholic Sun - February 4th, 2021
- A holistic professional shares a guide to transform life through reflections, practical tools and spiritual wisdom - GlobeNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Want to Know Your (Spiritual) Family's History? Then Read What They Wrote Southern Equip - The Southern News - February 4th, 2021
- Letter: Be spiritual all the year through - Grand Forks Herald - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual direction: What is it, who needs it, and why? - The Catholic Telegraph - January 5th, 2021
- 'I see miracles every day': Hospital chaplain reflects on spiritual care during pandemic - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Inspiration - The Abundant Empower Hour 01/04 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Editorial: Walk confidently In 2021 and always | Faith - NorthcentralPa.com - January 5th, 2021
- New Religious Fiction Novel 'The Chronicles of Assignments: Principalities' Presents Thrilling Adventure in Spiritual Warfare - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Reflections: Remember to find joy the new year - SW News Media - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 YEAR IN REVIEW: Washington reflects on a year of 'Spiritually Speaking' - The Atlanta Voice - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual politics in the world: Is it an utopian expectation? - WION - January 5th, 2021
- African-American Educator and Spiritual Leader Jay Vinson Offers Hope for American Youth - Publishes Powerful New Memoir and Devotional That Turns... - January 5th, 2021
- Ignatian spirituality in 'Wonder Woman 1984': The line between greed and the true more of 'magis' - America Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Spirituality: This is time of year to make our dreams real - Norwich Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Surviving Death on Netflix, A Scientific and Spiritual Investigation into the Afterlife | Movie trailer - Prudent Press Agency - January 5th, 2021
- JI spiritual leader Bashir set to be released on Friday - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- New Year's resolutions: A spiritually uplifting thing to do - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Successors Are Keeping Iconic Game Series Alive, and They're Not Slowing Down - The Escapist - January 5th, 2021