The sponsor of a bipartisan bill that would resolve banking issues in the marijuana industry is preparing to amend the legislation as a planned House floor vote approaches in order to bolster its appeal among GOP members.
The bill, which currently has 206 cosponsors, including 26 Republicans, was revised to clarify that banking protections apply to hemp and CBD businesses and also shields certain businesses such as firearms dealers from being targeted by financial regulators, as was the case under a 2013 Justice Department initiative that flagged various industries as higher risk for fraud and money laundering.
Other changes include an expansion of the definition of ancillary businesses working with marijuana firms that would be protected, extending and clarifying protections to federal home loan banks and insurers and language specifying that financial regulators wouldnt be uniquely restricted in their supervisory roles over the cannabis industry.
The text of the updated bill as prepared for floor action next week was obtained by Marijuana Moment.
The provisions are meant to entice conservative members who might have been wary of approving a bill that is narrowly tailored to help the cannabis industry.
A new section of the bill notes that hemp was federally legalized under the 2018 Farm Bill yet some hemp businesses (including producers, manufacturers, and retailers) continue to have difficulty gaining access to banking products and services and that businesses involved in the sale of hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) products are particularly affected, due to confusion about their legal status.
In order to address that problem, the legislation stipulates that financial regulators must issue guidance confirming the legality of hemp, hemp-derived CBD products, and other hemp-derived cannabinoid products, and the legality of engaging in financial services with businesses selling hemp, hemp-derived CBD products, and other hemp-derived cannabinoid products, after the enactment of the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018.
Regulators must also provide recommended best practices for financial institutions to follow when providing financial services and merchant processing services to businesses involved in the sale of hemp, hemp-derived CBD products, and other hemp-derived cannabinoid products.
The section that seems to aim to prevent actions such as the controversial Justice Department initiative known as Operation Choke Point targeting the gun industry states that federal banking agencies may not formally or informally request or order a depository institution to terminate a specific customer account or group of customer accounts or to otherwise restrict or discourage a depository institution from entering into or maintaining a banking relationship with a specific customer or group of customers unless theres a valid reason.
Getting more Republicans on board will be critical as House leaders plan to advance the Secure and Fair Enforcement (SAFE) Banking Act through an expedited process known as suspension of the rules, which requires two-thirds of the chamber of pass and does not provide opportunities for floor amendments.
The expanded version of the legislation will also likely fare better in the Republican-controlled Senate if it clears the House. Senate Banking Chair Mike Crapo (R-ID) said earlier this month that his panel will also hold a vote on the banking issue, ideally by the years end, but he didnt commit specifically to a vote on the SAFE Banking Act as currently drafted.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), whos made clear that hes no fan of marijuana, could presumably feel better about brining the bill to his chambers floor given his long-standing advocacy for hemp and CBD issues.
Its not just the GOP that the bills supporters have to consider, however. While Democrats have capitalized on popular marijuana reform issues, the banking legislation has recently been a topic of contention among progressive advocates and lawmakers.
After House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) informed the Democratic Caucus of his intent to bring the bill to a floor vote by the end of the month, some groups such as the ACLU, Human Rights Watch and Drug Policy Alliance signed a letter urging leadership to delay a vote until comprehensive legalization legislation that addresses social equity is passed.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is a prominent example of a lawmaker who indicated she might not vote in favor of banking legislation without Congress first tackling the racial injustices of cannabis prohibition, with a staffer telling Marijuana Moment on Thursday that the congresswoman feels strongly that addressing racial justice should be the first priority.
Marijuana Moment spoke to a number of lawmakers about the internal Democratic caucus debate on Wednesday. House Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (D-CA), whose panel passed the bill in March, said that she understands the groups perspective but that the issue is that Judiciary Chair Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) has yet to hold a vote on his more wide-ranging legalization bill.
Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO), sponsor of the SAFE Banking Act, made a similar point and stressed the need for action on any cannabis reform legislation regardless of its scale. Revising his bill signals that hes not letting up on that goal, and it also bodes well for the prospects of getting a vote next week.
A vote has yet to be scheduled but a key signal will be whether the SAFE Banking Act is listed on a weekly floor schedule that Hoyers office will release on Friday.
Marijuana Moments Patreon supporters can read the full text of the revised banking bill below:
This premium content is available only for Marijuana Moment supporters on Patreon. Please start a monthly pledge to help us continue our cannabis advocacy journalism. (Please contact [emailprotected] if you are a patron and have trouble logging in.)
Senate Committee Blocks DC Marijuana Legalization While Advancing Hemp Regulations
- Spirituality at Tufts: The Humanist Approach - Tufts Now - October 16th, 2019
- on the spiritual matter of art - Announcements - E-Flux - October 16th, 2019
- My Bhutan Pilgrimage-ish, Part Tourism, Part Leaning into the Spirituality of a Himalayan Buddhist Country - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Rudy Giulianis Ukraine smear pals courted powerful Jewish spiritual leaders and right-wing backers of Israe - New York Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon Synod Press Briefing: The spiritual dynamic of the Synod - Vatican News - October 16th, 2019
- Education, compensation, and spiritual outreach protect threatened whale sharks - Mongabay.com - October 16th, 2019
- "A Spiritual Experience": The Artist Behind a Rediscovered Last Supper Talks About Its Creation - Washingtonian - October 16th, 2019
- 500 SoCal Spiritualists, Marianne Williamson, and UCSD's PC Princess || PC Princess - The UCSD Guardian Online - October 16th, 2019
- Why Gitanjali JB wants to put the soul and spirituality back in Indian education - EdexLive - October 16th, 2019
- A man walked into a wild corner of Hatcher Pass last year on a spiritual quest. He never came out. - Anchorage Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- The Spiritual Need for the Arts - Juneau Empire - October 16th, 2019
- Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity, "Blurred Lines," and "Spiritual Warfare" - GQ - October 16th, 2019
- Rashad and Monica Bey - News-Talk 1380 WAOK - October 16th, 2019
- Exeter Cathedral to host 'spiritual' underwater video game service inspired by Jonah and the Whale - The Telegraph - October 16th, 2019
- Education & Health Experts fear new Quebec legislation will further erode religion in schools October 16 - Grandin Media - October 16th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Even for a Midwesterner, work and play can be balanced - SW News Media - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion | Graham Rockingham: A year of living spiritually without religion - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- Workplace and spirituality: Meeting of opposites - The Manila Times - October 1st, 2019
- The spiritual meaning of St. Michaels name reminds us how we should live our lives - Aleteia EN - October 1st, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Opens Up About Her New Venture and Why She Wont Force Spirituality on Her Kids - PEOPLE.com - October 1st, 2019
- This Spiritual Fitness Experience Is Coming to Philly for the First Time Ever - phillymag.com - October 1st, 2019
- 4 Misconceptions That Keep You From Growing Spiritually - Patheos - October 1st, 2019
- 'My Year of Living Spiritually' is a book for the spiritual but not religious - rabble.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - October 1st, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - October 1st, 2019
- Knead & Seed is a haven for spiritual, emotional wellness in Sag Harbor - Northforker - October 1st, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Panday honoured in Tobago by Spiritual Baptist - Trinidad Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Institute for Priestly Formation puts spiritual lives of priests front and center - The Catholic Spirit - October 1st, 2019
- Music and spirituality at the end of life - OUPblog - September 29th, 2019
- Kourtney Kardashian Opens Up About Her New Venture and Why She Wont Force Spirituality on Her Kids - PEOPLE.com - September 29th, 2019
- Denzel Curry finds spirituality in boxing and reveals his most treasured memory - 88Nine Radio Milwaukee - September 29th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - September 29th, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - September 29th, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - September 29th, 2019
- The New Moon Is In Libra, & Its Time To Get Romantic - Refinery29 - September 29th, 2019
- Princess Diana's Relationships With Psychics and Spiritual Healers - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 29th, 2019
- Spirituality and Health 3 Ways Faith Helps to Overcome Stress - spokanefavs.com - September 29th, 2019
- Book Review: My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma - Raise the Hammer - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Being a blessing is the only road to being blessed - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 29th, 2019
- David Brooks discusses spiritual hunger, Weave project in Baylor visit - Waco Tribune-Herald - September 29th, 2019
- Meet Greta Thunbergs spiritual precursor: The 12-year-old who silenced the world - RT - September 29th, 2019
- Brad Pitt May Be Dating a Spiritual Healer But They Also May Just Be Friends - Jezebel - September 29th, 2019
- Children lead the way to stop violence, save Earth - National Catholic Reporter - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritual wanderlust in new books from Bay Area authors - The Jewish News of Northern California - September 19th, 2019
- Kanye West: What Religion Is the Rapper and Does He Have His Own Church? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 19th, 2019
- In pursuit of the spiritual, practical, abundant | About The Valley - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - September 19th, 2019
- Deepika Padukone's spiritual leaning showcases her unshakable faith in God - Times Now - September 19th, 2019
- PRAYER FOR ALL SEASONS SALAD LUNCHEON | Spirituality - The Southern - September 19th, 2019
- This Is How You Attract A Partner Who Has Spiritual Health & Wellness - YourTango - September 19th, 2019
- The Rev. Michael Haynes was the spiritual leader of Roxbury - The Boston Globe - September 19th, 2019
- Chance The Rapper Says Kanye West Still His Spiritual Advisor, Talks Paternity Leave - Hip-Hop Wired - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritual fulfilment - Economic Times - September 19th, 2019
- Cosmic Pineapple gets spiritual, ethical and eco-conscious - Ibiza Spotlight - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Out of time for Out of Town News - Wicked Local - September 19th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Five things to say to someone who's dying - SW News Media - September 19th, 2019
- Meet Shaman Durek ' Hollywood's spiritual healer who's on a mission to make us all feel 'lit' - Lifestyle from Xpos - virginmediatelevision.ie - September 19th, 2019
- Author reflects on clerical celibacy as spiritual fatherhood - CatholicPhilly.com - September 19th, 2019
- Today's Video: How to Handle Spiritual Setbacks - thecatholictelegraph.com - September 19th, 2019
- Bible & Tire Recording Co. spotlights rich history, contemporary spiritual singers in Memphis - The Commercial Appeal - September 19th, 2019
- Holy Transfiguration to hold Spiritual Formation conference - East Cobb News - September 19th, 2019
- Ferrari Dino Spiritual Successor Not Happening In The Near Future - Motor1.com - September 19th, 2019
- Friday 13th spiritual meaning: The reason Friday 13th is considered unlucky - Express - September 19th, 2019
- Spirituality - Wikipedia - June 2nd, 2019
- What Is Spirituality? | Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing - June 2nd, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 28th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 28th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 28th, 2019
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 28th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 28th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 28th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 28th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 28th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 28th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 28th, 2019
- NASA Just Hired the First Contractor to Build Lunar Space Station - May 28th, 2019
- Elon Musk Ridicules Jeff Bezos’ Plan For Space Colonies - May 28th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 28th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 28th, 2019