These spiritual fruits are gifts good for the body, mind and soul.
What are the gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to the Bible? According to Galatians 5, God gifts Christians spiritual fruit to encourage and strengthen faith.
Fruits are good for you, at least thats what we were told growing up. Plenty of studies have come out debating the topic. So, if physical fruit is healthy, imagine how beneficial fruits that are gifts from God can be for your body, mind, and spirit.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
RELATED: How The Bible Defines What Love Is In John 3:16, The Most Popular Bible In Scripture
The Catholic Vulgate says that there are 12 fruits of the spirit: charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, mildness, faith, modesty, continency, and chastity. Some faiths argue that there are 7 and some say there are 9 spiritual fruits given to believers who are growing in their faith with God.
Most of these are qualities that you wouldve (or shouldve) been raised with. Youre taught to love everyone, be patient when waiting for something, be kind to one another and so on.
Its something youve probably been practicing your whole life without even realizing it. And, even if you dont cover all nine, you probably at least cover one or two of them.
If youre unsure if you exemplify each spiritual fruit or how you can start to demonstrate the maturity of a believer, allow me to explain each gift from God, according to Galatians 5 of the Bible.
This ones pretty simple. There are all sorts of ways to show love, whether its for a family member, friend or significant other. Just showing that you care is typically enough.
RELATED: What Is Love, According To The Bible Scripture
You should be joyous in your life in Christ. Find what makes you happy through God. True joy can only be found through journey and self-discovery and it certainly doesnt hurt to have a bit of guidance too.
The Bible defines the gift of peace as maintaining harmony. Dont go out of your way to cause violence and make the best effort you can to get along with everyone. Look for inner peace as well, because its just as if not more important than outer peace.
RELATED: 15 Inspirational Bible Quotes & Verses About God's Love
This is another one thats pretty self-explanatory. Whether youre waiting on a person or a package, reminding yourself to be patient can help to keep your mind at ease (which also helps with peace)!
This is kind of like love but in a more casual sense. You should make the effort to be kind to everyone you know and meet. This means not being insulting or ragging on others and making an effort to help when the opportunity arises.
RELATED: 13 Inspirational Bible Verses For Women Who Need Strength
If there was an actual scale of whether something is good or bad, this fruit would embody it. Its telling you to do the best you can to stay on the good side. This isnt like the idea of if you do enough good things you get into Heaven.
Its more like not intentionally sinning, asking for forgiveness and doing your best to be good in Gods eyes by living faithfully in Christ.
This is straightforward. Listen to God and learn from the Bible. Live your life under the guidance of Christian principles. Doing that shows your faith not only to God but to others as well.
RELATED: Why Leave And Cleave Is Important For Successful Marriages, Even If You Dont Believe The Bible Is Scripture
Another way to put this would be understanding. Think of it as a parent and child situation. When the child does something wrong, rather than yelling at them, the parent is gentle, even in discipline.
Perhaps the hardest of the fruits to practice in life. It applies to so much of our lives, from preventing impulse buys to controlling your temper. But without it, the world would be much more chaotic than it already is.
RELATED: What Is A Sin & Why Does The Bible Scripture Call People Sinners
Honestly, none of the fruits rank higher than another. Theyre all of equal importance because theyre all things you should practice in your daily life.
Even putting aside being a Christian, these are the qualities that make up a decent human being. The Fruits of the Spirit are like guiding principles in life.
Now while theyre all equal, none of them quite embodies all the others like love.
According to 1 Corinthians 13, a popular Bible scripture love is the greatest gift of all.
Love is patient and is kind. Love doesnt envy. Love doesnt brag, is not proud, doesnt behave itself inappropriately, doesnt seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil; doesnt rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7:
To put it another way, love is joyful, love is peaceful, love is patient, love is kind, love is good, love is faithful, love is gentle and love is using self-control to have the best possible relationships with others.
Love is a gift and it covers so much in life. Its why there are so many romance movies, why love and friendship is a theme in so many shows and why we care so much about our families (even if we dont want to admit it). Love gives us all of the Fruits of the Spirit wrapped up with a nice little bow.
However, just because love touches all the bases doesnt mean thats the only one you need. Just as the body cant live off of apples alone, the soul needs all of the fruits. Practicing all of them will make you the best version of yourself in your faith.
RELATED: 50 Best Inspirational, Encouraging Bible Verses & Quotes About Life & Strength
Jesse Oakley is a writer who writes about love, relationships, self-care and spirituality/astrology.
Follow this link:
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020