The best direction for your new year may not be new at all.
In fact, the thirst for something new and different may well keep you from growing in devotion, discipline, selflessness the steady rhythm of a God-centered life you desire yet struggle to maintain.
Youre not alone in this.
People of faith always swim against a strong current of new fascinations that pull us away from the proven, ordinary graces that grow our love toward God and others.
This is what the LORD says: Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls. But you reply, No, thats not the road we want!
We really dont know who we are apart from the God who made us. And our Creator tells us through the prophet Jeremiah that we are a people in desperate need of evaluating direction from time to time: Stand at the crossroads and look around.
The implication in that command is that we will not find right direction, nor satisfaction, by looking within.
God never leaves us to rely upon ourselves or our own resources when it comes to growing spiritually. Self, as it turns out, is often the greatest obstacle to spiritual growth.
Even when looking outside of ourselves, well find plenty to distract us.
Social media shape what we think of ourselves and others. A nonstop news feed shapes what we think of our world. None are especially truthful or complete.
Happily, God does the necessary work of telling us which way to turn when were at the crossroads of evaluating direction: Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it.
We cant become our best selves by looking inward or staring incessantly at our smartphones. We need to look outward at the Word of God.
Jesus, the only perfect person who has ever lived, needed time with the Father every day first thing.
Morning by morning He wakens me and opens my understanding to His will, says Isaiah 50.
The Father continuously called to the Son, and Jesus continuously responded with glad attentiveness: The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away.
Jesus, the person Christians strive to imitate, craved time alone with the Father morning by morning.
His love toward and attentiveness to the Father surely must inform our own.
As God speaks to us through Scripture, He hears from us through prayer.
The Christian is never deprived of a listening ear, someone who cares, someone who understands, someone whose strong presence truly matters. What a privilege is prayer; and how frequently we trade this privilege for far lesser things.
Again, Jesus pattern is meant to be ours: Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray, Mark 1:35.
Of course, spending time with God in Scripture and prayer does not sound new and exciting to us. It sounds so routine; and yet, for many of us, its really not our routine.
Did you notice that the God who knows us best also anticipates such a disposition? But you reply, No, thats not the road we want!
A new year brings us a new opportunity to change our reply: God has spoken to me, and Ive listened. Ive not rebelled or turned away.
This year it might be time not to try something new. The best direction for your new year may not be new at all.
Why not try something old and find rest for our souls?
Steve Massey is pastor of Hayden Bible Church. He can be reached at (208) 772-2511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
View original post here:
- BAVO, campus ministry host 'Trauma and Spirituality' discussion virtually - Observer Online - March 31st, 2020
- There's A Spirit In My Spirituality - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Spirituality and social distancing: Amsterdam church offers drive-up prayer - The Daily Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: Creating a new vision for our world is how we rise - Dearborn Press and Guide - March 31st, 2020
- Blood Drives and Online Religious Services: Spirituality in the Time of COVID-19 - WYSO - March 31st, 2020
- Epistles Of The EndTime, Part 3: Spiritual Sluggishness - Modern Ghana - March 31st, 2020
- Album Review: IGORRR Spirituality and Distortion - Metal Injection.net - March 31st, 2020
- How Spirituality and Jewish Values Informed Lucas Asher's Business Success - The Jewish Voice - March 31st, 2020
- 'Four Last Things' Spiritual Successor 'The Procession to Calvary' Hits Desktop April 9th with Mobile Versions in the Works - Touch Arcade - March 31st, 2020
- Online group meets regularly to pray the Rosary to nourish spiritual and mental needs of community - Catholic Leader - March 31st, 2020
- 'People Are Coming to Us Saying, I Need Hope': Fighting on the Front Lines of Spiritual Awakening - Christianheadlines.com - March 31st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is a threat to the United States' spiritual well-being - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 31st, 2020
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020
- Exploring the Meaning of Spirituality - dummies - March 16th, 2020
- Spirituality - March 16th, 2020
- We asked rabbis for their spiritual guidance in handling the coronavirus crisis. Here's what they said. - JTA News - March 16th, 2020
- Have Faith: Spirituality and addiction - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being in Times of Crisis - My Jewish Learning - March 16th, 2020
- Out & About: NAACP prayer breakfast focuses on spiritual weapons - TribLIVE - March 16th, 2020
- Social Distancing and Spiritual Dirction in the Age of COVID-19 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Local author comments on writing, spirituality and tying them together - Left Hand Valley Courier - March 16th, 2020
- A nation confronting its own mortality needs spiritual leadership. So where is Justin Welby? - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Rancor spreads faster than the virus - Enterprise News - March 16th, 2020
- Getting Spiritual Protection from Coronavirus - Wine-Searcher - March 16th, 2020
- I tried a spiritual awakening in one of Londons top hotels - and I couldnt believe what happened - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Should Coronavirus Stop Us from Going to Church? - Crosswalk.com - March 16th, 2020
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020