Weve all heard about detox retreats, or spiritual getaways.
Some people have called them a new age travel trend, but wellness tourism has been around for decades. Such getaways, in the last few years, have become increasingly popular in Dubai, particularly among professionals who belong to the upper middle class and are more health-conscious or educated.
Dubai is becoming more spiritually diverse, said 29-year-old Lady Serwaa Bonsu, who has worked as a receptionist at a Dubai-based holistic healing center for nearly two years.
Many clients I meet are choosing to go to places like India and Japan for special four- to 10-day retreats because they are seeking spiritual solutions to their issues.
Bonsu said she meets clients who are considering such retreats to gain insight on how to improve their health, marriages, or even their relationship with money.
Between 2015 and 2017, the annual growth rate of the $639 billion wellness travel market was 6.5 percent, according to the Global Wellness Institute (GWI). This is more than double the 3.2 percent growth rate for tourism overall.
The Middle East and North Africa region (MENA), along with other developing markets such as Latin America-Caribbean, Asia-Pacific, and Sub-Saharan Africa, all accounted for 57 percent of the increase in wellness trips since 2015.
The wellness tourism market is expected to reach $919 billion by 2022, the wellness institute predicts.
People who choose such niche getaways are often seeking safe havens where they can meet like-minded individuals, heal from traumatic experiences, or even gain self-confidence to apply in their everyday lives.
Silfath Pinto who is based in Dubai is a transformational coach and retreat leader. Many of her clients live in Dubai and travel for her getaways in other parts of the world, including Bali, Indonesia, or Greece.
There is a lot going on in Dubai, said Pinto, and I think its because it can be such a transient place where there is so much movement. Local people are facing a lot of challenges and starting to wonder if there is another way and looking for help and resources to be able to change and improve.
Pinto left her corporate banking job in 2009 to begin her life coaching career. Thats when she held her first retreat for clients in Dubai, which has a population of more than three million.
My retreats are not so much focused on discovering the country, although it is part of the experience, said 40-year-old Pinto. The main thing about my retreat is a deep transformational journey. It is really about moving from a state of limitation to a state of expansion.
Pinto facilitates about four retreats a year and packages range from $2,000 to $2,700 for week-long trips.
Pinto admitted that her retreats are not for everyone.
I am not in the retreats where they do yoga in the morning, yoga in the evening, and then they do sightseeing; thats not what I do at all, she said with a laugh. Thats why my retreats might not attract that many people, they attract people who are really ready for a deep transformational journey.
One of Leona Wallaces transformational retreats. Wallace is pictured center. Photo: Courtesy Leona Wallace
Coming from a completely different part of the world, Leona Wallace, a 51-year-old survivor of domestic violence, is a Paris-based certified international life coach.
She worked part-time in 2010 as a life coach and full-time as a real estate agent in the province of British Columbia, Canada.
After attending a retreat in Nice, France, for her own personal development, Wallace decided to quit her job and became a full-time coach and retreat leader in 2011.
She has since led 27 retreats.
Many of these men and women are already on a journey, Wallace told Skift. Some are feeling lost, some have relatable stories, are at a crossroads, and unsure of their next step.
Wallace usually invites six to 12 clients on her trips, which are filled a month in advance.
Clients traveling with Wallace are invited to detoxify physically and mentally by participating in nutrition programs, breathing exercises, and one-on-one coaching sessions, she said.
She typically leads about three retreats a year, but is considering monthly retreats in 2020 due to high demand.
But her five-day retreats are anything but cheap.
Her packages cost about 2,200 euros ($2,467) per person and are held in partnership with luxury spas, chateaus, or with conscious homeowners that have expanded their houses into wellness centers.
While theyve never met before, Pinto and Wallace have much in common.
For starters, they both said they feel called to hold their retreats at energetically charged destinations. They also dont claim to facilitate your average getaways where people go sightseeing, do a few yoga poses, and meditate.
Both Wallace and Pintos clients also come from similar backgrounds. They are typically individuals leading lives in some of the worlds busiest cities from Dakar to Dubai, Paris, New York, and London. Many are also searching for a sense of spiritual and mental fulfillment.
There is also a prescreening process that goes into planning such elite getaways.
Its exclusive in the sense that the people coming on these trips are leaders, thats their path, thats their mission, Wallace said. They might not quite be there yet, but they are influential leaders getting together to reset, renew, and recharge with like-minded people.
See full article
Photo Credit: Silfath Pinto's transformational retreats go beyond yoga and relaxation. Pinto is pictured on a Dubai beach. Seba Haddad
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local Westwood - January 5th, 2020