Advanced alien technology drives the plot of NBCs Debris. Those fragments have governments plotting with and against one another. But throughout the first season the show has been telling a much bigger story, one unconcerned with either science or geopolitical concerns. The series has raised existential questions about what it means to be a part of the universe. Because while each piece of the destroyed spacecraft can act in a unique way, theyre all connected. Not only with one another though. Theyre connecting emotionally with people, in a way that feels more spiritual than scientific. Debris explores one of sci-fis best ideas, in the same way as films like Contact, Interstellar, and Arrivaldid.
The issue of what the debris means, rather than what it can merely do, has been present from the beginning of the series. Finola (Riann Steele) believes the destroyed spacecraft came to mankind for a reason. That its presence here has a greater purpose. Her faith in someoneor somethingother than science has already proven powerful in its own way. It pushed her to save people during otherwise hopeless situations. Like when they put the farming community into suspended animation. It also helped keep Bryan (Jonathan Tucker) grounded when alternate timelines split the fabric of reality apart. Her faith guided him across dimensions.
That seemingly supernatural element proved even more relevant in the shows eleventh episode, Asalah. The debris forced Bryan to relive a tragic event from his past because it remembered him. He had come in contact with a different piece earlier in the season. Once he was safe from the experience, Finola told him all of those pieces may be connected. Not just to each other, but also to any person it touches. Its how the debris used another person to reach out to Bryan, though Bryan didnt learn the reason behind the message.
More than real scientific concepts like worm holes and alternate dimensions, this development moves the spiritual nature of the show from an idea to its most important aspect. The series international intrigue is a major element in making the show interesting. It raises the stakes of every mission Bryan and Finola go on. All while weaving together multiple plots into one overarching conflict. But whats clear as we approach the end of the first season is that alien technology unto itself is not what the story is truly about. The most relevant question is much bigger than which nation will rule a single planet. Its about existence, and how were all a piece of something far bigger than ourselves, our country, and even our planet.
Weve seen debris manifest memories. In the pilot it brought back a mothers dead son. Those pieces can wordlessly feel, feed from, and communicate with people who touch it. Now we know those fragments can even retain peoples memories and make them experience them again. The debris is empathetic, as though every piece is alive. They can soothe your pain and comfort you. Or force you to face something youd rather forget. It can become a part of you and make you a part of it.
We dont yet know the reason the ship showed up in Earths orbit. Or why its communicating with Bryan. But we know those unanswered questions point toward answers more meaningful than any potential alien invasion or world domination. Its why, despite its scientific roots, at its core Debris is becoming about something more incorporeal. And that combination of sci-fi and spiritual is a formula other science fiction stories have used to to say something powerful and moving about existence.
Interstellar was as scientifically dense as any big budget sci-fi film. But ultimately it ended up being about how were all connected in ways we dont always understand. There are powerful, measurable forces in the universe. But none of them account for intangible forces like love and a desire to save each other. Those forces transcend space and time.
Contactfollowed Jodie Fosters Dr. Ellie Arroway, a scientist and atheist. Like Debris, the film relied heavily on real scientific concepts. But in the end, when she returned from her journey and the world didnt believe she had made first contact, the movie turned out to be about a different kind of faith. A faith that we are not alone, even if we cant always see whoor whatis also out there. And sometimes all we have is that blind belief that goes beyond the scope of satellites or spacecraft.
Arrival also ended up being a a very different story than it first appeared to be. It explored what might happen during our first interaction with aliens. But it was really about love and the connections we make with others. The language of life is not words or signs. Its something ethereal that binds everything. And those connections, the only ones that matter, can traverse the laws of physics as we know them.
Debris fully embraced this idea when it traveled far away from Bryan and Finolas mission to Arizona. There, a Native American narrated his peoples beliefs about the nature of the world, all while admiring a setting sun alone in the desert. Rather than feel out of place, that scene felt like the perfect metaphor for what ideas the show is really interested in. Debris has far more in common with the tradition and ideals of the Four Directions than it does a theoretical physics class.
Each of those films used complex scientific concepts to say that, in the end, we cant always measure or understand the things that matter most. Just like debris from a ship, were simply a small part of something much bigger than any of us. And that is a force that connects each of us to everyone and everything.
Its also an idea that continues to make for compelling science fiction, for a story like Debris that has something to say about what it means to exist at all.
Editors Note: Debris is produced byLegendary Television. Nerdist is a subsidiary of Legendary Digital Networks.
Mikey Walsh is a staff writer at Nerdist. You can follow him on Twitter at@burgermike, and also anywhere someone is ranking the Targaryen kings.
- Spirituality or occult? Mahindas visit to sacred city before resigning as PM raises questions - ThePrint - May 12th, 2022
- Finding Faith with Randy Ollis: IndyCar Ministry provides spiritual support for race teams - WISH TV Indianapolis, IN - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual values in nation-building - The Star Online - May 12th, 2022
- The power of prayer in health and healing: Venture capitalist Vani Kola vouches for benefits of spirituality - Times Now - May 12th, 2022
- Higher Self Yoga: Nanette V. Hucknall goes right to the source - theberkshireedge.com - May 12th, 2022
- Ntsiki Mazwai talks about African spirituality and the need for traditional bodies to lay down the law - TimesLIVE - May 12th, 2022
- St. Gianna's daughter planning to open spiritual pilgrimage center. Published May. 9 2022. Nation. - The Pilot - May 12th, 2022
- The parasites inside my mother were both real and spiritual - Salon - May 12th, 2022
- The Reckless Curiosity of Spiritual Friendship | Anne Kennedy - Patheos - May 12th, 2022
- Investigative Reporter Julie Roys Removes Herself From Her Own Conference After Accusations of 'Spiritual Abuse' - Church Leaders - May 12th, 2022
- Synod on synodality to be 'process of spiritual discernment,' participants say - Crux Now - May 12th, 2022
- Missionary Diary: The spiritual discipline of fishing | The Paradise News - The Paradise News - May 12th, 2022
- Michelle Huneven's 'Search' offers spiritual wisdom and cookies - Frederick News Post - May 12th, 2022
- Spice of Life | From strangers to family on a spiritual journey - Hindustan Times - May 12th, 2022
- I Traded Traditional Talk Therapy For Spiritual Healing Sessions - POPSUGAR - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual Leader Monsignor Gerard McCarren Appointed Interim Rector and Dean of Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology at Seton Hall... - May 12th, 2022
- Conrad Black: A D-Day-level assault on the intellectual and spiritual freedom of Canada's soldiers - National Post - May 12th, 2022
- Spiritual adviser explains what to do on the luckiest day of the year - New York Post - April 14th, 2022
- ASIA/CHINA - Prayer, relationship with Christ, new ways of evangelizing: the Beijing Seminary continues its synodal journey in the spirituality of... - April 14th, 2022
- ASIA/MALAYSIA - In a book, the spirituality and missionary legacy of the first Malaysian Cardinal - Agenzia Fides - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual leader for Cleveland's non-conformists leaves a legacy of slowing down and opening up - ideastream - April 14th, 2022
- Jim Carrey Once Felt He Saw God After Going on a Spiritual Journey - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 14th, 2022
- The universal and spiritual relevance of the number seven - Times of Malta - April 14th, 2022
- The blessing is Spiritual - Chronicle - April 14th, 2022
- Stations of the Cross, a spiritual journey, is observed in variety of ways in the Miami Valley - Dayton Daily News - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual Perspective: As you see the day drawing near - Los Altos Town Crier - April 14th, 2022
- With devices like retire out, cricket may be witnessing a spiritual return to its grassroots, to its unorganised avatar - The Indian Express - April 14th, 2022
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Be ready for pain, and be ready to grow from it - Wicked Local - April 14th, 2022
- IUST holds Conference on Impact of Fasting on Spiritual and Mental Health - Brighter Kashmir - April 14th, 2022
- Spiritual BlackBerry KEY2 successor could arrive with upcoming Unihertz launch - Android Central - April 14th, 2022
- Stevenson | Living with the Long Emergency: Spiritually engaged activism - Brattleboro Reformer - April 14th, 2022
- COMMUNITY VOICES: The resurrection of Christ: Spiritual or physical? - The Bakersfield Californian - April 14th, 2022
- Rolls-Royce Ghost review: On a spiritual journey in the lap of luxury - NationalWorld - April 14th, 2022
- Ascend With Poog, the Spiritual Beauty Podcast - Papermag - January 25th, 2022
- September's Harvest Moon Will Bring Uneasiness and Opportunity - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- This New Moon in Aquarius Bao Will Help You Manifest Your Goals - POPSUGAR - January 25th, 2022
- 'I was so close to the sky. It was spiritual': Sonny Rollins on jazz landmark The Bridge at 60 - The Guardian - January 25th, 2022
- 3 reasons Star Trek: Prodigy is a spiritual successor to Voyager - Redshirts Always Die - January 25th, 2022
- The practice of meditation spans from the strictly spiritual to secular. - Monterey County Weekly - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Downtown - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- David Bowie Said It'd Be Really 'Hard' to Have George Harrison's Spiritual Life - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 25th, 2022
- Author Takes Readers on a Spiritual Journey and Provides Life-Changing Tips and Tricks - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 25th, 2022
- Health First's Director of Pastoral Care 'Father Bob' Bruckart Retires After 26 Years of Bedside Spiritual Care - SpaceCoastDaily.com - January 25th, 2022
- Good News, Mech Fans: Armored Core Spiritual Successor Will Soon Be Free - Kotaku - January 25th, 2022
- The Medical & Spiritual Solutions to End the COVID-19 Pandemic - Digital Journal - January 25th, 2022
- Sundance Q&A: 'Watcher' director Chloe Okuno on her spiritual nod to 'Rosemary's Baby' and the therapy of horror - Screen International - January 25th, 2022
- The Bible's spiritual purpose - Church of the Resurrection - January 25th, 2022
- Ranking the NESCAC Mascot Costumes: An Emotional and Spiritual Journey - The Bates Student - January 25th, 2022
- A spiritual look at the violence in Columbus - WSAV-TV - December 14th, 2021
- Foucaults Political Spirituality, Punjab And TLP - The Friday Times - December 14th, 2021
- Whitney Hubbs's Unholy Rites for the Spiritually Bankrupt - frieze.com - December 14th, 2021
- Column: This Christmas, reach out to those who are spiritually, emotionally lonely - The Columbus Dispatch - December 14th, 2021
- Did COP26 Have Spiritual Implications? Yes, Says One Attendee. - ChristianityToday.com - December 14th, 2021
- The call of awakening - The New Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- If there is any country that is mother of spirituality, culture, democracy, it's India: Om Birla - Devdiscourse - December 14th, 2021
- Sunday Scripture reading, Jan. 9, 2022: New spiritual resolutions - Catholic News Service - December 14th, 2021
- Idol Worship: The Brooklyn Museums Important New Warhol Show Casts the Pop Artist in a Spiritual Light - artnet News - December 14th, 2021
- Need to spread spiritual intelligence, says Governor Koshyari - The Indian Express - December 14th, 2021
- Varanasi: Spiritual and structural rejuvenation - Times of India - December 14th, 2021
- Explore Spiritual Warfare And Learn Defense Against The Forces Of Evil - WFMZ Allentown - December 14th, 2021
- ASIA/CHINA - Christmas lights are turned on: the Catholic community intensifies its spiritual journey and its works of charity - Agenzia Fides - December 14th, 2021
- Author and Spiritual Teacher Iyanla Vanzant on Missing Loved Ones During the Holidays: 'Make It a Celebration' - Inside Edition - December 14th, 2021
- How to Spot a Spiritual Impersonator Scam on Instagram (And What To Do) - Patheos - December 14th, 2021
- For spiritual reading or gift-giving, new readings on peace - The Hutchinson News - December 14th, 2021
- Hiker spots spooky 'spiritual' illusion in the clouds - Liverpool Echo - December 14th, 2021
- This Full Moon Limpia Will Heal Your Heart and Clear the Path For 2022 - POPSUGAR - December 14th, 2021
- SPIRITUAL: Shepherds were looked on with disdain | Life | pentictonherald.ca - pentictonherald.ca - December 14th, 2021
- The spiritual healing path is a way to healing your mind, body, and spirit - ABC 4 - May 17th, 2021
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Life (and traffic) returns to normal - Wicked Local - May 17th, 2021
- Time for a spiritual vaccine - The Times of India Blog - May 17th, 2021
- 'Run the World' is the spiritual successor to 'Living Single' we deserved all along - Yahoo News - May 17th, 2021
- Spiritual Side: Food Distribution Drive-Thru in DeLand on May 15 and 29 - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- Are You Experiencing Bloating? | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - May 17th, 2021
- CRiver: Church of God Mission gets first indigenous spiritual leader - Vanguard - May 17th, 2021
- Prince Harry feels US is his spiritual home as he gears up to welcome baby girl - The News International - May 17th, 2021
- Cause & Effect: Where is Your Focus? - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2021
- Voices of Faith: Re-imagining the covenant as we mark Shavuot - Record-Courier - May 17th, 2021
- Between the lines: Do we have the spiritual grit our beliefs require? - The West Volusia Beacon - May 17th, 2021
- MENTAL HEALTH WEEK: It's Important To Remain Mentally Healthy And Spirituality Can Help - South Asian Link - May 17th, 2021
- Meghan Markle is Diana's 'spiritual heir' and 'Age of Meghan' will last for years - Daily Express - May 17th, 2021