As April sexual assault awareness month approaches, the Belles Against Violence Office (BAVO), campus ministry and the wellness program teamed up to present Trauma and Spirituality, a conversation on the effects of trauma on overall health, spirituality and belief systems.
The discussion addressed questions of how one can overcome negative or stressful thoughts about the current pandemic, as well as how to use prayer for meditation and stress relief.
This event is particularly valuable during this time in our society where coronavirus has affected our daily lives and may have altered the way we think about faith, BAVO coordinator Liz Coulston said in an email to students.
Sophomore Emily Karalus, a BAVO Student Advisory Committee (SAC) member, said Trauma and Spirituality served the purpose of including all of the different faiths and spiritualities on campus in the healing process.
It allowed the panelists to explore different coping mechanisms and self-care practices after traumatic events, Karalus said in an email. It was an event that all of our students could participate in despite their differences in faith. Our main focus was on showing students that there is a way to overcome trauma despite what your beliefs may be, before and after the traumatic event.
Though the College is not allowing anyone on campus currently and classes will be completed remotely until the end of the semester, Karalus said BAVO still wanted to continue to hold this event as it is an important topic for many, even when students find themselves stuck at home.
We also chose to continue with this event because it is extremely beneficial during this time of chaos and disarray, Karalus said. We knew that this event could help ground our students and to ensure that they are taking care of themselves. It also provided us an opportunity to let the students, who have experienced trauma, know that there are still resources and supports available for them on and off-campus. We described that during a time like this, it may be harder or easier to heal from the trauma that they have experienced.
Karalus said the event did not change much since it was moved online.
We incorporated all the same questions and panelists, and we sent the goodie bags to the students home address instead of them having them pick them up if the event was in person, Karalus said. It was not hard to make the transition to a virtual event since we had great panelists and many of our ideas already laid out.
The event panelists included assistant director of Campus Ministry Liz Palmer, BAVO coordinator Liz Coulston and senior ministry assistant Annie Maguire.
Maguire said cross-campus events such as those between BAVO and Campus Ministry are important since she believes her community can accomplish more when working together.
When we utilize and harness the assets, wisdom and resources we have in our community, we broaden our reach to students, cultivate our capacity for change-making and deepen our prosperity as an institution, she said.
Maguire said the events partnership between Campus Ministry and BAVO promotes a holistic approach to healing, especially in the midst of a global health emergency.
I found myself [beginning] the process of healing when I reflected upon the questions on the panel, Maguire said in an email. Everyone is affected by this pandemic differently, and this panel helped me open my heart and my mind to the ways I could touch others with my words and reflections to inspire collective healing as well.
Maguire believes her experience ministry assistant on campus at Saint Marys can uplift others right now.
I think its important that students know that despite the distance that separates our community, the community of Saint Marys never leaves them, Maguire said. Saint Marys is here for them no matter what. Its time to extend our love to each other across the miles in creative and meaningful ways.
More than 70 students registered for the event via Google Forms, with more than 50 people appearing on Google Meet during the event time.
We are glad that we could provide support and insight into these topics to so many students today, Karalus said. This is one of the greatest turnouts we have ever had for BAVO events, and we are so happy that we could stay connected as a community today.
BAVO will continue to post tips regarding self-care activities, quotes, recommendations and academic study tips, as well as host more virtual events for students, including GreenDot training overviews and stress-management sessions.
See more here:
- Former Addict Recounts Journey to Find Strength, Spirituality and Self-Love in New Memoir - GlobeNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Seek the nectar of spirituality - The Sunday Guardian - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual healers torture results in childs death - The Nation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritual Leaders Share What Spiritual Wellness During the Pandemic Looks Like for Them - Well+Good - July 14th, 2020
- Weaving together art, spirituality - Winnipeg Free Press - July 14th, 2020
- Humility needed on the spiritual path - Deccan Herald - July 14th, 2020
- Dry Prong is spiritually abundant - The Baptist Message - July 14th, 2020
- What Is Shadow Work And Why Is It Crucial To Spiritual Practice? - Patheos - July 14th, 2020
- Streaming platforms offer fitness, spiritual content - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Defrocked Coronavirus-Denying Priest Tells Putin to Step Down - The Moscow Times - July 14th, 2020
- Rev. Martin Smith to lead All Saints services July 19, 26 and Aug. 2 - Boothbay Register - July 14th, 2020
- Candace Cameron Bure Is Ready to Share Her Faith As the New Chief Spiritual Officer of Woman's Day - WomansDay.com - July 14th, 2020
- Podcast Corner: Guru tells of sweat-lodge tragedy and James Arthur Ray - Irish Examiner - July 14th, 2020
- Naagin actress Mouni Roy has taken to spirituality in the lockdown; heres what she says - Times of India - July 14th, 2020
- Lutheran leader shares spiritual insights on pandemic - The Lutheran World Federation - July 14th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Norwood - July 14th, 2020
- Guthrie Ramsey's creative journey of healing, collaboration, and persistence - Penn Current - July 14th, 2020
- A Public Art Project Near Londons Grenfell Tower Presents the Spiritual Work of Artist Khadija Saye, Who Died in the Tragic Fire - artnet News - July 14th, 2020
- How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) | How to Conquer the Spiritual Coronavirus: the Colossian Heresy (Part 2) -... - July 13th, 2020
- St. Ignatius: When are pious thoughts not from God? - Catholic Culture - July 13th, 2020
- There is no one way to find God - Arizona Daily Star - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Framingham - July 13th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing - ArtsHub - July 13th, 2020
- Nallur Kovil: Spiritual beacon of the North - Ceylon Daily News - July 13th, 2020
- Out in Faith NL welcomes people of all faiths and sexual orientation - The Telegram - July 13th, 2020
- Mount Carmel Society Feast Procession and Family Barbecue Goes On With COVID-19 Adjustments - TAPinto.net - July 13th, 2020
- The Breathtaking Image of God | Messy Spirituality-Finding God in Unexpected Places - Patheos - July 13th, 2020
- Author's ideas on meeting God offer welcome antidote to isolation - CatholicPhilly.com - July 13th, 2020
- UNLV, NFL great Cunningham ready to heed the Raiders' spiritual needs - Las Vegas Sun - July 13th, 2020
- There Are No Spiritual Growth Hacks, We've Got to Train - Team Jesus Magazine - July 13th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Silver linings from a dark cloud of a year - Wicked Local Sharon - July 12th, 2020
- American Spirit: Alcohol abuse in US highest among Native Americans but there is hope with spiritual treatment - MEAWW - July 12th, 2020
- Above the Sun: Boring days are filled with opportunity - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - July 12th, 2020
- Jesus and change - National Catholic Reporter - July 12th, 2020
- Mary Lisa Reaches Out To Help In This Time Of Spiritual Need. - Patch.com - July 12th, 2020
- Beat Stress | Spiritual and Physical Wellness - ChicagoNow - July 12th, 2020
- Psychic Awareness & The Art and Science of Spiritual Alchemy - BlogTalkRadio - July 12th, 2020
- 'One drop of spirituality' to every human being: Sadhguru shares vision for the planet - Free Press Journal - July 12th, 2020
- It's time to talk about spiritual wellbeing | ArtsHub United Kingdom - ArtsHub UK - July 11th, 2020
- Divya Pandit masters the art of spiritual healing - Mid-day - July 11th, 2020
- Amy Satori selected as Top Intuitive Spiritual Teacher of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals (IAOTP) - Life Pulse Health - July 11th, 2020
- Full Buck Moon spiritual meaning: What does a Full Buck Moon signify? Read here - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Patience: The best remedy for every problem - Free Press Journal - July 11th, 2020
- An open heart receives the seed of God's Word, which bears fruit - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Seeing the way when there's no path ahead - CatholicPhilly.com - July 11th, 2020
- Steak House Ribera: Wrestling's spiritual home in Japan - The Japan Times - July 11th, 2020
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020