Tom Key at Theatrical Outfit in Atlanta.
One of Tom Keys earliest memories of visiting Atlanta is of attending Georgia Tech football games with his father and brother. He recalls driving from the family home in Birmingham, Ala., and watching the Atlanta skyline expand as the car journeyed uphill. He dreamed of living in the bustling city to be part of its cultural scene, and because he saw the citys response to the Civil Rights movement yielding a better result than Birminghams.
Years later, he and his wife, Beverly, moved to the city for its budding film industry and scrappy theatre community. He appeared on the TV show In the Heat of the Night and performed in numerous plays at the Alliance Theatre, while he and his wife raised three children. Key eventually found an artistic home at Theatrical Outfit, a theatre that had started in 1976 in a laundromat on its off hours. The troupe that instigated the theatre bounced around different spaces in town before eventually finding a home in the heart of downtown Atlanta. Key took the reins as artistic director of Theatrical Outfit in 1995.
By that time he had made a name for himself as an actor and director. He has been touring his solo show, C.S. Lewis On Stage, for more than 40 years, and his calling card is Cotton Patch Gospel, a musical adaptation of Clarence Jordans Cotton Patch stories, which retell the events in Jesuss life in a contemporary, rural Georgia setting. In addition to his own work at the helm of Theatrical Outfit, he has produced hit productions of Our Town, Lady Day at Emersons Bar and Grill, The Gifts of the Magi, and Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley as well as Memphis and In the Heights, both in conjunction with Aurora Theatre.
After 25 years, Key announced that he would retire. At the time we spoke with him, he had just made the difficult decision to suspend Theatrical Outfits stirring production of Indecent due to the coronavirus pandemic. We caught up with him to discuss his retirement plans and muse about theatre as an inherently spiritual art form.
KELUNDRA SMITH: Theatrical Outfit is in the heart of downtown Atlanta in an area that has seen ups and downs, from homelessness and drug abuse in the 1990s to intense gentrification now. How have you managed to keep Theatrical Outfit relevant to audiences in both times?TOM KEY: I trust the power of the story to create bridges, to attract people to one another. When we were performing at the Rialto Center for the Performing Arts from 1999 to 2004 to see if we could attract an audience to downtown, we found that the people who came to our theatre were attracted to the radical diversity of downtown. Theres a wonderful discovery that people make when they come down here. They are in a place thats like no other.
Theres something about being physically next to one another and experiencing a story together that maximizes our potential to realize that what we have in common is greater than what divides us.
Theatrical Outfit has a very deliberate spiritual bent to its worknot religious, necessarily, but with a definite acknowledgement of interconnection. Talk to me about that.I have always loved the beginning of the Gospel of John, which says, In the beginning was the Word. I believe that words dont just say things: Words do things.
The art form itself is sacred. To me, what is unique about the theatrical art is that we are telling stories and we are not judging for the audience who is right or wrong. Were not sending a message to the audience of how to vote, were not repeating or affirming a set of doctrines, beliefs, or principles. We are presenting a story of human beings. It creates a space that I believe is intended to impact us on a spiritual level. It can be named many things: the soul, consciousness, or awareness. But if people try to submit art to an agenda, to illustrate a point of view, thats a disservice to the art form.
I must say that I am proud of the fact that among the artists with whom we work, our board, and our audience, we have people who cant even talk about the important issues because theyre so much at odds. Yet the same people come to our theatre and they recognize that this is the way we [as humans] are. When we have that awareness, we can work toward becoming a global community instead of strengthening our tribes.
The great vision that we can capture in the theatre is that we all belong to one another. Its so powerful that it makes us go back and see a play, even when we know how its going to endlike maybe the Friar [from Romeo and Juliet] will get back there in time with the message.
What do you think Theatrical Outfits legacy will be in Atlanta?Its the theatre, I believe, that has the quality of the best theatre around the world, and it is focused on being made by, for, and about the people who live here and care about this community. Its a place where plays are done with the aspiration to be the center of the community. When tourists come to town and they say they want to eat somewhere Atlanta residents want to eat, people can always name their favorite restaurant. We want to be that for the theatrethe place where Atlanta people go to see a good play.
What are your plans for retirement?I have long- and short-term ideas. I definitely want to take a vacation somewhere, plus there are books I want to read and languages I want to learn. I also look forward to being able to take on a role without having to think about whether its going to conflict with another production, a fundraiser, or some other thing that comes along with the responsibility of being an artistic director. Matt Torney, my successor, asked me what would make me feel like I hired the right person. I said that if I looked at the season and wondered if I can audition for a show. Hes already cast me as the father in The Humans next year, and I cant wait to be in the rehearsal room with him. I feel like I have another act in me.
Kelundra Smith is an arts journalist based in Atlanta and a frequent contributor to this magazine.
Read the original here:
- Letter: Be spiritual all the year through - Grand Forks Herald - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual direction: What is it, who needs it, and why? - The Catholic Telegraph - January 5th, 2021
- 'I see miracles every day': Hospital chaplain reflects on spiritual care during pandemic - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Inspiration - The Abundant Empower Hour 01/04 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Editorial: Walk confidently In 2021 and always | Faith - NorthcentralPa.com - January 5th, 2021
- New Religious Fiction Novel 'The Chronicles of Assignments: Principalities' Presents Thrilling Adventure in Spiritual Warfare - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Reflections: Remember to find joy the new year - SW News Media - January 5th, 2021
- 2020 YEAR IN REVIEW: Washington reflects on a year of 'Spiritually Speaking' - The Atlanta Voice - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual politics in the world: Is it an utopian expectation? - WION - January 5th, 2021
- African-American Educator and Spiritual Leader Jay Vinson Offers Hope for American Youth - Publishes Powerful New Memoir and Devotional That Turns... - January 5th, 2021
- Ignatian spirituality in 'Wonder Woman 1984': The line between greed and the true more of 'magis' - America Magazine - January 5th, 2021
- Spirituality: This is time of year to make our dreams real - Norwich Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Surviving Death on Netflix, A Scientific and Spiritual Investigation into the Afterlife | Movie trailer - Prudent Press Agency - January 5th, 2021
- JI spiritual leader Bashir set to be released on Friday - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- New Year's resolutions: A spiritually uplifting thing to do - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - January 5th, 2021
- Spiritual Successors Are Keeping Iconic Game Series Alive, and They're Not Slowing Down - The Escapist - January 5th, 2021
- Landry: How to make spiritual New Year's resolutions - Grandin Media - January 5th, 2021
- Contagion Spiritual Sequel In The Works From Steven Soderbergh - Screen Rant - January 5th, 2021
- Generation Z and spiritual wellness The Famuan - Famuan - November 10th, 2020
- Pastor Paula White calls on angels from Africa and South America to bring Trump victory - USA TODAY - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual Warriors on Behalf of Donald Trump - The Bulwark - November 10th, 2020
- COLUMN/PERSPECTIVE: The spiritual experience of hiking the Appalachian Trail - Brunswick News - November 10th, 2020
- NJAC Rededication: 1970 Revolution impacts spirituality and religion in T&T - Wired868 - November 10th, 2020
- US election 2020: Biden seeks spiritual comfort before maelstrom of 'loneliest job in the world' - Sky News - November 10th, 2020
- OPINION/SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Were still in this together - Wicked Local Kingston - November 10th, 2020
- Inspiration - The Abundant Power Hour 11/09 by Universal Energy | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - November 10th, 2020
- Spiritual teacher Sri M comes out with new collection of short stories - Times of India - November 10th, 2020
- Morality, spirituality must be at centre of discussions aimed at lasting unity - Stabroek News - November 10th, 2020
- Yes, There Is a Spiritual Side to Having a Healthy Relationship With Food | RELEVANT - RELEVANT Magazine - November 10th, 2020
- Tokayev receives head of Spiritual Administration of Muslims of Kazakhstan - Kazinform - November 10th, 2020
- Worldly concerns bleed into the spiritual realm | State - Southernminn.com - November 10th, 2020
- Trip to top of wind turbine offers spectacular sights and spiritual sensation - Wicked Local Plymouth - November 10th, 2020
- The strange tale of a former massage therapist turned religious leader & his 5 spiritual wives - The Independent - November 10th, 2020
- Study links daily spiritual practices to improved well-being and mental health - Baptist News Global - October 28th, 2020
- Brother Voodoo offers Marvel a chance to explore Black spirituality and acceptance - SYFY WIRE - October 28th, 2020
- Everything eco-friendly for the spiritual vibe - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- The Alchemy of Heartbreak and Hope: A Spiritual Practice for Our Time - Resilience - October 28th, 2020
- Chaplains and the role of spiritual care in Healthcare - The Laconia Daily Sun - October 28th, 2020
- As Witchcraft Surges in America, Is the Church Prepared for the Spiritual Battle? - CBN News - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual Editorial: God Is With Us Through It All - NorthcentralPa.com - October 28th, 2020
- How this Indigenous architect designs buildings with Indigenous history and spirituality in mind - CBC.ca - October 28th, 2020
- PEARRELL: Our spiritual revival is not tied to who wins an election - Rockdale Newton Citizen - October 28th, 2020
- Amazing high school choir sings spiritual Down to the River to Pray from hotel balconies - Classic FM - October 28th, 2020
- A window on to Ram Kumars visionary and spiritual world - Financial Times - October 28th, 2020
- Are we experiencing a pandemic spiritual mutation? An approach from Kabbalah - The Times of Israel - October 28th, 2020
- Holly Courtier planned to go on spiritual journey, fast inside Zion National Park, family says - ABC 4 - October 28th, 2020
- Spiritual coaches aim to ease COVID-19, other health disparities in West Baltimore - Yahoo News - October 28th, 2020
- Indulgence for cemetery visits extended to spiritual visits and whole month of November - Aleteia EN - October 28th, 2020
- Russia is fighting coronavirus with prayers: a companion of Putins spiritual father has published a special book - Pledge Times - October 28th, 2020
- 4 Women of Color Share How Spirituality Has Helped Them Heal, Rest, and Resist - Well+Good - October 19th, 2020
- Tent revival focused on spiritual breakthrough | Religion - The Mountaineer - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality in the second half of life - Catholic Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Hot on the healers: The best spiritual practitioners in London - Tatler - October 19th, 2020
- Spirituality: Know that you represent God when you show up - Norwich Bulletin - October 19th, 2020
- UK churches urged to wake up to spiritual abuse of LGBT people - The Guardian - October 19th, 2020
- Kangana Ranaut is all praise for grounded and spiritual Will Smith, wants Bollywood to show same keenn - Times of India - October 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed a moral and spiritual vacuum. Who will fill it? - TheArticle - October 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Love, Light, and Spiritual Bypassing | Opinion, Paganism, Perspectives, Politics, Witchcraft - The Wild Hunt - October 19th, 2020
- The Office of Religious & Spiritual Life to host eighth annual Crossroads Lecture - TCU 360 - October 19th, 2020
- The Spiritual Power of Pharoah Sanders - The Vinyl Factory - October 19th, 2020
- Mission Committee strives to improve faith and spirituality among Belles - Observer Online - October 19th, 2020
- Crossing over from spiritual world of ancestors to visual art - SowetanLIVE - October 19th, 2020
- Fight the second wave with apps for financial, spiritual and physical success - USA TODAY - October 19th, 2020
- Galway clergy pledge to run each day during Level 3 for spiritual and financial reasons - The Irish Times - October 19th, 2020
- Spiritual aspects of the climate and extinction crises - Uniontown Herald Standard - October 19th, 2020
- The Covid-19 pandemic tests everyone's spiritual wellbeing, atheists and believers alike - NBC News - September 21st, 2020
- Author Shares Journey of Spiritual Discovery and Healing in New Book - GlobeNewswire - September 21st, 2020
- Assemblies of God (USA) Official Web Site | Reaping a Spiritual Harvest - AG News - September 21st, 2020
- Autumn equinox spiritual meaning: What is the meaning behind the autumnal equinox? - Express - September 21st, 2020
- One Thing I Ask of YHWH: Humility and the Spiritual Search - jewishboston.com - September 21st, 2020
- Special Online Event: Being In The Now - A Spiritual Perspective - Patch.com - September 21st, 2020
- New priests will spark a 'spiritual pandemic' - The Catholic Weekly - September 21st, 2020
- From the Pulpit: God with us in time of spiritual warfare - The Daily Times - September 21st, 2020
- Owusu Bempah gives detailed account of how things work in the spiritual realm - GhanaWeb - September 21st, 2020
- This Life: Spiritual poverty is the real problem - Sight Magazine - September 21st, 2020
- FEC Chair Says There's No Separation of Church and State, Calls 2020 Election a 'Spiritual War' - Newsweek - September 21st, 2020
- Beatification cause opened for spiritual son of Padre Pio - Catholic News Agency - September 21st, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: Find your serenity in these crazy days - Wicked Local Georgetown - September 21st, 2020
- Faith matters: Awaken the spiritual artist within | Lifestyle - thereporteronline.com - September 21st, 2020
- Leaders in Peace Building, Science, Mindfulness and Spirituality to Transmit the Experience of Peace to 40 Million People Across the Globe on... - September 21st, 2020