SportFootballFOR Rotherham folk, the view from the bridge is nothing to do with a play by American writer Arthur Miller.
Saturday, 9th May 2020, 6:00 am
It does possess drama and a compelling plot all the same with Millmoor, that inimitable former home of Rotherham United, taking centre stage.
Glory days, legendary figures, crises and then it was all over and briefly off to an athletics stadium over the border in the Steel City before reconvening across the dual carriageway.
Museums, galleries and entertainment venues may be closed and Millmoors famous Tivoli Nitespot has long since staged its last dance but the view from Coronation Bridge overlooking Millmoor remains open and vivid.
A stadium vacated by its tenants in 2008, but still largely intact, including its half-built new main stand which was never finished. The CF Booth Ltd signage on the Railway End still standing sentinel-like.
Should you walk or drive by, you are instantly transported back for those of us who are not teenagers at any rate.
What memories Millmoor, a stadium rich in history and unique in character, provided. Goodness, gracious me as much-loved Millers radio commentator Brian Chapple once said.
It was Chapple whose words complete with an explosion of joy from co-commentator Gerry Somerton painted a golden picture to describe Alan Lees late promotion-clinching goal against Brentford in April, 2001.
It was a moment when time stood still and one that no Miller of a certain age will ever forget.
The Railway End also witnessed a similarly iconic moment 20 years earlier when the late Rod Fern latched onto a pass from John Breckin, that great servant of Millmoor, before firing home to secure another famous 2-1 win in the home finale of 1980-81, this time against Plymouth Argyle.
It enabled the Millers to claim the Division Three title at the expense of rivals Barnsley.
Sadly, tragedy would arrive on the final day of the 1999-2000 season when the Millers and Swansea City, both promoted and competing for the Division Three championship, drew 1-1.
Rival fans had clashed before the game with brewery drayman Terry Coles, a Swansea supporter, trampled to death by a police horse in an incident on a single-lane track just behind the Millmoor Lane stand.
A central figure amid the fanfare of those more treasured times in the early Eighties and early Noughties was the man known simply as The King.
All hail Ronnie Moore, whose sign used to hang above the old Millmoor Hotel, where the club legend used to enjoy a post-match pint with supporters.
It was opposite the Railway End in front of the Tivoli where Moore mostly held court on the pitch in front of his adoring Millmoor public in his playing days with Rotherham.
As he did with Fern on an unforgettable autumnal day in October, 1981 when they destroyed Chelsea in a 6-0 rout with Yorkshire TV cameras there to witness one of the darkest hours in the Blues history with visiting custodian Petar Borata never quite the same after.
Moores time in charge of the club produced similarly beguiling stories at Millmoor, which proved no respecter of reputation during its last hurrah.
A kerfuffle famously arose in August, 2003 when Championship newcomers West Ham refused to change in the away dressing rooms because they felt they were too cramped.
The press box was also packed that day, but no-one moaned. The old facility used to be at the opposite end of the Main Stand and was on stilts and that was far more precarious.
Unsurprisingly, no home team-talk was required that day against the Londoners and the Hammers returned south with no points and a flea in their ear from the Millers faithful.
It was a time when I covered the club for the Rotherham Advertiser. The pleasure of seeing well-heeled clubs and big-names given a reality check was something you never tired of.
Former Chelsea and Italy striker and Watford manager Gianluca Viallis unique food for thought involved a meat pie being thrown in his direction. Benvenuto to Rotherham, Luca.
Much earlier, Millmoor had proved fateful for another well-known forward of his day in Malcolm MacDonald.
Supermac, then in the colours of Arsenal, suffered a career-ending knee injury in a League Cup tie at the start of the 1978-79 season the Gunners lost 3-1.
Millmoor staged many other memorable cup occasions of note, although its perhaps better not to mention one particularly controversial FA Cup fourth-round replay with Manchester United in 1966 to any Millers old-timers.
The Millers, who drew 0-0 at Old Trafford, cruelly lost out 1-0 after extra-time to a line-up including Best, Charlton and Law with the hosts left incensed at referee Jack Taylors non-award of a goal from John Galley. If anyone asks, it was a goal...
The Sixties saw the likes of Peter Madden and Dave Watson stride around with authority, while high-quality forwards Albert Bennett, Barry Lyons, Frank Casper, Ken Houghton and Ian Butler struck fear into the heart of many a visiting backline.
Fast-forward to the early Eighties in the era of those much-missed figures of Ian Porterfield and Emlyn Hughes and it was the turn of Moore and Fern to impose their will upon defenders, with the trickery provided by Tony Tiger Towner.
Millmoors contribution to football history is also significant.
It is where the first penalty shoot-out in the FA Cup took place, with Ally Pickering bestowed with the honour of converting the winner for the Millers in a 7-6 victory over Scunthorpe in November, 1991.
The first League Cup final, when it was a two-legged format, was staged there in August, 1961, with Barry Webster and Alan Kirkham netting in a 2-0 first-leg win over Aston Villa.
Millmoor. Abandoned, but still adored.
Editors note: First and foremost - and rarely have I written down these words with more sincerity - I hope this finds you well.
Almost certainly you are here because you value the quality and the integrity of the journalism produced by The Yorkshire Posts journalists - almost all of which live alongside you in Yorkshire, spending the wages they earn with Yorkshire businesses - who last year took this title to the industry watchdogs Most Trusted Newspaper in Britain accolade.
And that is why I must make an urgent request of you: as advertising revenue declines, your support becomes evermore crucial to the maintenance of the journalistic standards expected of The Yorkshire Post. If you can, safely, please buy a paper or take up a subscription. We want to continue to make you proud of Yorkshires National Newspaper but we are going to need your help.
Postal subscription copies can be ordered by calling 0330 4030066 or by emailing email@example.com. Vouchers, to be exchanged at retail sales outlets - our newsagents need you, too - can be subscribed to by contacting subscriptions on 0330 1235950 or by visiting http://www.localsubsplus.co.uk where you should select The Yorkshire Post from the list of titles available.
If you want to help right now, download our tablet app from the App / Play Stores. Every contribution you make helps to provide this county with the best regional journalism in the country.
Sincerely. Thank you. James Mitchinson, Editor
Read the rest here:
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020
- Peace and Spirituality in Times of Fear and Gossip - RiverBender.com - April 15th, 2020