TOP (L to R): Bishop Larry Silva of Honolulu; Bishop Michael Sheridan of Colorado Springs; Bishop Peter Christensen of Boise. BOTTOM: Bishop John Doerfler of Marquette; Bishop Donald Hying of Madison; Bishop Michael Barber of Oakland.
Bishops from Hawaii, Colorado, Idaho, Michigan, Wisconsin and California share their tips for a richer devotional life.
I asked six diocesan bishops in different parts of the United States about saints theyre devoted to and recommendations for the average layman on developing ones spiritual life. Here are the thoughts they shared:
BishopMichael Barberof Oakland, California
I believe our overall goal should be to make the Church a place where people can experience Jesus Christ. The better we do this through prayer, worship, the sacraments, our homilies and works of mercy, the better people can experience Jesus Christ.
Once we have people coming to church, we can start talking to them about morality. A man can learn to be chaste by leaving the bar scene and marrying the woman he loves. He gives up his old life because he loves a person, his wife. In the same way, a person can leave an immoral lifestyle when he comes to love a person, Jesus Christ. I believe it is the same principle giving up what is harmful to us by falling in love with a person.
BishopPeter Christensenof Boise, encompassing the entire state of Idaho
[Explaining that he spends much of his time on the road visiting parishes, using the time in the car to pray and prepare his homilies.] While some bishops may travel with someone to help with the driving, I go by myself. I prefer it that way. I like the solitude. I dont listen to music. I pray and say the Rosary, or think about things. It gives me a lot of time to myself. Not everyone would like it. One recent trip had me on the road 16 days straight.
BishopJohn Doerflerof Marquette, the upper peninsula of Michigan
My favorite [saints] include St. John of the Cross, who is my patron, St. Francis de Sales, St. Thrse and St. Thomas More.
As a young man, my heroes included Pope St. John Paul II When I was a seminarian, I studied theology at North American College in Rome. I had the privilege of serving Mass for Pope John Paul II. It was the beatification mass of St. Katharine Drexel, and they wanted American seminarians to serve at the Mass. I was one of the lucky ones whose name was pulled out of the hat.
I met Pope John Paul briefly after Mass. I remember my exchange with him. I assured the Holy Father I was praying for him. He said, Well, well pray for each other.
[In regards to spirituality, I recommend] the basics, like weekly Mass and regular confession, go without saying. Id also especially mention three other things: the Rosary,Lectio Divinaor praying with Sacred Scripture, and Eucharistic adoration.
BishopDonald Hyingof Madison, Wisconsin
Ive always been impressed by [St. Thrse of Lisieuxs] unique life, short though it was. She didnt accomplish anything in the eyes of the world, but she did love God in an extraordinary way in the ordinary things of life. She is the saint of simple people; Id classify myself as one of those simple people.
Id tell [the average layman] to start with attending Mass regularly on Sundays and holy days. Go to confession once a month. Pray daily; when you start, it may be for just 10 minutes.
Develop a devotional life. This might mean praying the Rosary, or a devotion to a particular saint, some activity that will feed your heart and spirit. Do some form of service to the poor or sick. Go on an annual retreat.
BishopMichael Sheridanof Colorado Springs
[Pope St. John Paul II is] a real hero to me. Im impressed with St. Thrse, the Little Flower, and Ive been reading herStory of a Soulwhich teaches us how to live a simple but saintly life. I also like St. John Neumann, the former Archbishop of Philadelphia, because of his simplicity, dedication and wisdom.
I was trained early on in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. If one is well led, these can be a beautiful source of spiritual enrichment. As far as contemporary programs, Id recommend the work of Dan Burke of the Avila Foundation, the wonderful Augustine Institute and the Denver Biblical School.
BishopLarry Silvaof Honolulu, encompassing all the islands of Hawaii
I often take pilgrimage groups to a tiny peninsula on the island of Molokai known as Kalaupapa. This is where St. Damien and St. Marianne Cope ministered to people with leprosy (Hansens disease). It can only be accessed by a small (9-passenger) airplane, by footviaa switch-back trail on a 2,000 foot cliff, or by mule on the same trail. A couple of times I intended to go there on a day trip, but the weather turned bad during the day so the small planes were not allowed to fly in. Without being prepared to spend the night, I had to do so, along with members of our group. The people there are always accommodating and help us make do.
Read the original post:
- BAVO, campus ministry host 'Trauma and Spirituality' discussion virtually - Observer Online - March 31st, 2020
- There's A Spirit In My Spirituality - Thrive Global - March 31st, 2020
- Spirituality and social distancing: Amsterdam church offers drive-up prayer - The Daily Gazette - March 31st, 2020
- A Spiritual Walk: Creating a new vision for our world is how we rise - Dearborn Press and Guide - March 31st, 2020
- Blood Drives and Online Religious Services: Spirituality in the Time of COVID-19 - WYSO - March 31st, 2020
- Epistles Of The EndTime, Part 3: Spiritual Sluggishness - Modern Ghana - March 31st, 2020
- Album Review: IGORRR Spirituality and Distortion - Metal Injection.net - March 31st, 2020
- How Spirituality and Jewish Values Informed Lucas Asher's Business Success - The Jewish Voice - March 31st, 2020
- 'Four Last Things' Spiritual Successor 'The Procession to Calvary' Hits Desktop April 9th with Mobile Versions in the Works - Touch Arcade - March 31st, 2020
- Online group meets regularly to pray the Rosary to nourish spiritual and mental needs of community - Catholic Leader - March 31st, 2020
- 'People Are Coming to Us Saying, I Need Hope': Fighting on the Front Lines of Spiritual Awakening - Christianheadlines.com - March 31st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: April 2020 - Publishers Weekly - March 31st, 2020
- Why Donald Trump is a threat to the United States' spiritual well-being - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- Bishop tests negative, urges all to care for physical and spiritual health - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 31st, 2020
- Making Sense of Meditation: Religion and Spirituality - Psychiatric Times - March 26th, 2020
- Students report on the impact of COVID-19 on religion and spirituality - USC News - March 26th, 2020
- How Deepak Chopra Is Using This Time For A Spiritual Reset - mindbodygreen.com - March 26th, 2020
- David Carlson: The spiritual challenge of the coronavirus - Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- spiritual connections - The Batavian - March 26th, 2020
- Teachers & Healers: Carr mixes medicine and spirituality with his two professions - Huron Daily Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- These are the most spiritual travel destinations in the world - Travel Weekly - March 26th, 2020
- Spiritual Life: Leave anxiety behind and be open to today - Blue Mountain Eagle - March 26th, 2020
- Post-reformation theology of the priesthood influenced abuse crisis, author says - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - March 26th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - March 16th, 2020
- Exploring the Meaning of Spirituality - dummies - March 16th, 2020
- Spirituality - March 16th, 2020
- We asked rabbis for their spiritual guidance in handling the coronavirus crisis. Here's what they said. - JTA News - March 16th, 2020
- Have Faith: Spirituality and addiction - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritual Well-Being in Times of Crisis - My Jewish Learning - March 16th, 2020
- Out & About: NAACP prayer breakfast focuses on spiritual weapons - TribLIVE - March 16th, 2020
- Social Distancing and Spiritual Dirction in the Age of COVID-19 - Patheos - March 16th, 2020
- Local author comments on writing, spirituality and tying them together - Left Hand Valley Courier - March 16th, 2020
- A nation confronting its own mortality needs spiritual leadership. So where is Justin Welby? - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Rancor spreads faster than the virus - Enterprise News - March 16th, 2020
- Getting Spiritual Protection from Coronavirus - Wine-Searcher - March 16th, 2020
- I tried a spiritual awakening in one of Londons top hotels - and I couldnt believe what happened - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Should Coronavirus Stop Us from Going to Church? - Crosswalk.com - March 16th, 2020
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020