Thank you, Philip Qualman. Thanks for saying what has needed to be said for months now, and for putting the focus back where it needs to be.
If you missed last weeks two-hour plus school board meeting that resulted in a vote on a district reopening plan, you missed the superintendent calling out all the armchair experts and trolls in the online comments underneath Vail Daily stories.
Ive read a lot of Vail Daily articles and got sucked into the rabbit hole of the comments, Qualman said before mentioning the story of a man being arrested at the Avon City Market following an argument over wearing a mask. Those debates need to stop. We need to put our energy towards following the five commitments of containment that public health has identified for us.
Couldnt agree more. The reason people live here, vacation here or buy a second home here is because this valley is a stunningly gorgeous, prosperous place where youll encounter world-class service and hospitality. Weve got great schools, were highly educated, and youd be hard-pressed to find a healthier county on the planet.
But wade into those comments, and youd think the Vail Valley is some backwater full of extremists and idiots.
Its nauseating. It can be, at times, humorous. But, more than anything, its pointless.
No one is winning these arguments. The only thing thats winning is the stupid and the stupid is running strong nearly five months since our first reported case of COVID-19 in Eagle County and less than 100 days from Election Day.
These commenting forums have turned into a toxic waste dump of misinformation, harassment, name-calling and general idiocy. And thats on a good day.
And while Id love to say its harmless, like a few cows burping in a field, we should know by now that all those cows burping is bad for the planet. Likewise, for all these stupid, selfish debates about wearing a mask or following the directional arrows in the grocery store.
Its no wonder why the United States leads the world in COVID-19 cases and deaths 149,684 and counting and why 21 states have outbreaks so serious theyre in the red zone, logging more than 100 new cases per 100,000 people in the past week. Or why here, in Eagle County, were in our own red zone, based on key performance indicators for COVID-19 transmission, with a shrinking window to turn things around before the school district has to start the academic year with remote learning because we, as a community, cant get our act together.
We are better than this, Eagle County. You know it. I know it. Does it really have to take our superintendent, or the public health director, or the county commissioners, or the CEO of Vail Resorts, or the president of the Vail Valley Partnership, or the editor of the paper, to constantly remind everyone where we should be directing our energy as a community? That schools dont just magically open in a vacuum? That to get kids back in class, so parents can get back to work, and our economy can stay up and running, weve all got to do our part.
This is grade-school science, and were failing. These five things youre being asked to do in those commitments of containment theyre so unbelievably basic.
Its time to move past these inane arguments. Its also time to kill the narrative that all of these debates are inherently political or that one side is being muzzled based off what does and doesnt make it through our comment moderation software. Or that Im somehow behind the scenes, playing favorites.
Real talk: Most of these claims of censorship end up being the result of boomers not being able to figure out how to set up a profile and post. Trust me, I get all the emails.
What also inevitably happens is some particularly nasty troll gets brought to my attention, or my web editors attention, via email, and we warn them or boot them and that person just shows up trolling under a different profile shortly thereafter.
Dumb and dumber.
Past that, were not equipped, as a small publishing outfit, to monitor these comments 24-7. If we did, we wouldnt spend any time doing any actual reporting and editing. You tell me whats more important.
As a newspaper group, we entered into this online engagement sphere like other publishers with noble intentions of fostering healthy community discussions. It says right up top: Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil. If you dont follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
But just as other larger sites have learned, these appeals go unheard and the trolls win. They figure out all the loopholes and theyre relentless.
The comments that adhere to those guidelines, and dont resort to name-calling or mudslinging, have become the exception, not the norm. Thats a shame.
I spent eight years working at CBSSports.com. Somewhere in the middle of that, with comments running into the hundreds and thousands on any story about Colin Kaepernick, or NFL players kneeling for the national anthem, or pretty much anything Tim Tebow did or said, the company just decided to just do away with the comments altogether. And perhaps the least shocking thing is that web traffic went up after the move.
A free press isnt a free-for-all, and no publisher is under any obligation to host these forums. Its a privilege, not a right.
So what say you, Vail Daily readers? Do you want to get schools back open? Do you care about parents being able to make it through a workday knowing their kids are getting the best education they can get in a classroom? Do you want the online debate in your local newspaper to actually reflect the community you live in?
Or are you resigned to letting the trolls win?
Its your paper. You decide.
Nate Peterson is the editor of the Vail Daily. Email him at email@example.com.
Read more from the original source:
- Charming D.B. Cooper suspect Sheridan Peterson dies at 94, spent years dedicated to political causes - OregonLive - January 31st, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals at the Pro Bowl, Patrick Peterson talks, Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl and - Revenge of the Birds - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson, Langford, Colson, Morgan, Zubcic named in BCL team of January - Eurohoops - January 31st, 2021
- T.I. and Tiny Deny Allegations of Drugging and Sexual Coercion - Vulture - January 31st, 2021
- Greg Peterson will succeed Bob Bjorklund as Bethel AD - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - January 31st, 2021
- 2021 IPPE: How has COVID-19 impacted the US broiler industry? - The Poultry Site - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020