(Deposit Photos/Tasha Tuvango)
Maricopa County Attorney Allister Adel has hired the attorney who botched an investigation into the Fiesta Bowl a decade ago to oversee a probe of County Assessor Paul Petersen.
Adels office announced that former Attorney General Grant Woodswill oversee the work of two private law firms hired to investigate whether Petersen neglected his duties.
Petersen stands accused in three states of running an illegal adoption scheme involving Marshallese women, and the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors suspended him Oct. 28 for 120 days for neglecting his duties. He was in federal custody in Arkansas at the time, but he is free on bail.
Woods, in 2009, conducted a week-long investigation into a campaign-finance scandal involving Fiesta Bowl employees and found no credible evidence of wrongdoing. But when state and federal investigators got involved, several employees of the college-football organization ended up pleading guilty to various misdemeanors and felonies, including former Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker, who spent eight months in prison.
Woods has said in a subsequent interview in 2017 with Tempe-based journalist Nancy Puffer that the Fiesta Bowl manipulated him.
At the end of the day I had lots of excuses, but I was hired to see if there was a problem, and I didnt see it, Woods said.
Petersens criminal defense attorney, Kurt Altman, questioned whether it is necessary to have Woods oversee the neglect-of-duties investigation because one of the firms tasked to investigate the county assessor, Stein Mitchell Carey Chapman, is a seasoned and respectedoutfit that specializes in criminal defense.
Woods will be providing regular updates to Adel.
Sounds like a good gig if you can get it, Altman said.
Additionally, Cosmich Simmons & Brown, a litigation firm, will look into all of Petersens documents found on his county computer in an internal audit. The audit found that only five percent of those documents pertained to official county business.
Kory Langhofer, Petersens attorney who is defending him in the suspension matter, said Woods has already judged Petersen.
Langhofer provided Arizona Capitol Times a tweet from Oct. 9 in which Woods congratulated Attorney General Mark Brnovich for indicting Petersen and liked a tweet stating Petersen should learn to enjoy prison.
Great Work General, Woods tweeted.
Langhofer said Woods social media activity reveals a bias against Petersen and makes him the least qualified investigator.
He said the verdict is already in on Petersens suspension.
The Board of Supervisors premade conclusionswhich theyve already announced and voted to approvewill be dressed up and reprinted on Grant Woodss letterhead, Langhofer said.
The Board of Supervisors voted last week to have a suspension appeal hearing on December 11.
Woods laughed at hearing Langhofers comments and denied having any bias against Petersen. He also denied that the Board of Supervisors have already predetermined the investigation outcome as Langhofer suggests.
The Board suspended him and they need to review the suspension and what steps to take going forward. They need to know more about the Assessors Office and the job hes done. Its completely separate [from the criminal charges], Woods said.
Jennifer Liewer, an Adel spokeswoman, said Woods overall reputation and experience is why Adel considered him and why she thinks he is qualified.
[Woods] is a well-respected member of the community, Jennifer Liewer, a county spokeswoman, said. He has conducted hundreds of investigations as attorney general and overseen many we believe the team we compiled will do a thorough job and will be able to provide Adel and the Board of Supervisors with a thorough investigation.
Both Adel and Woods also have a history with Sen. John McCain. Adel interned for McCain while in college and Woods was McCains Chief of Staff when he was a congressman.Liewer said that history was not considered when choosing the former AG to oversee the investigation.
Woods said he was approached last week to begin overseeing the investigation, but still has not seen a contract yet for how much he will be paid for the work, which is expected to take less than one month.
He said the short timeframe will be challenging, but that the majority of the work will be conducted by Lee Stein of Stein Mitchell Carey Chapman.
Woods was vague on whether there is enough time before the Dec. 11 hearing to conduct a thorough investigation.
It depends on your definition of thorough, he said. Were going to do what were going to do and give [the Board of Supervisors] what we have and thats up to them.
Prosecutors say Petersen paid the Marshallese women up to $10,000 to come to the United States, where they were crammed into houses to wait to give birth and provide their babies for adoption.
Petersen faces charges in Arizona, Utah and Arkansas that include human smuggling, sale of a child, fraud, forgery and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Petersen has now pleaded not guilty in courts in Arkansas, Arizona and Utah. And next month, he is scheduled for his next court dates in Arkansas on Dec. 5 and Arizona Dec. 19.
Editors note: This story has been revised to include direct quotes and paraphrased statements from Grant Woods.
See more here:
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson leads by example on young team - The Sheridan Press - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson Companies Acquires The Shops at Stonewall in Gainesville - Prince William Living - February 1st, 2020
- Breaking News - All-New Series "Coyote Peterson: Brave the Wild" Premieres on Animal Planet Feb. 9 at 9PM ET/PT - The Futon Critic - February 1st, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 1st, 2020
- 49ers' one-year turnaround has ties to Gophers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 1st, 2020
- Mother and Son Alumni Share Connection as Chargers, Passion for Learning - University of New Haven News - February 1st, 2020
- 'I take full responsibility': Former Nampa teacher sentenced to 17 years in prison in lewd conduct case - KTVB.com - January 13th, 2020
- Miles adds to KU coaching staff - News - The Ottawa Herald - January 13th, 2020
- Bail denied for man charged in connection with death of Baltimore businesswoman - WBAL TV Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- 'Ive got five, and Im going to hit:' Man standing trial in deadly shooting in York - York Daily Record - January 13th, 2020
- Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson: Abortion 'didn't used to be a partisan issue' - City Pages - January 13th, 2020
- Permits for in-law flats and other ADUs are down but interest remains high - OregonLive - January 13th, 2020
- 29-Year-Old Terrance Peterson Charged In The Fatal Shooting Of Baltimore Mother Carmen Rodriguez At Kims Deli - CBS Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- Player of the Week: Nick Peterson - The Bridgton News - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- Lehi and the Fragrant Highway | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 13th, 2020
- Death and Transfiguration | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 11th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2020
- Peterson: Change on the way | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- NFL rumors: Why Eric Bieniemy might be the ideal coach for Giants mentality, according to Adrian Peterson - NJ.com - January 5th, 2020
- "He's A Heck Of A Coach": Players Give Their Thoughts On Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera - Redskins.com - January 5th, 2020
- The Lehites and Arabia | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 5th, 2020
- Okies in the NFL: Peterson sits fifth on rushing list - Oklahoman.com - January 5th, 2020
- Legends built here - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sitting Down with the Director of The Rise of Jordan Peterson - Merion West - December 27th, 2019
- Collin Peterson goes his own way on impeachment; will it matter? - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 27th, 2019
- This former firefighter has a criminal past. Now, hes on the board that advises the state on its EMS system. - The Boston Globe - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Time, conditions might be right for beginning dairy farmers - Crow River Media - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson passes Walter Payton on the all-time rushing touchdown list - NBCSports.com - December 27th, 2019
- Giants gear up for another round with Adrian Peterson - Giants.com - December 27th, 2019
- Beast of the East wrestling: Patience pays off with title for SJVs Dean Peterson - nj.com - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Meet the most loyal of Iowa State's very loyal fans, who have attended each Cyclones bowl game - Des Moines Register - December 27th, 2019
- Tre Petersons story of excellence and perseverance - WRBL - December 27th, 2019
- Was Laci Peterson Found? Where Was Her Body? - Heavy.com - December 27th, 2019
- Hosey: Where in the world is Drew Peterson? - Northwest Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Information Released On Single Vehicle Accident In Broken Bow - Sand Hills Express - December 27th, 2019
- For these Detroit Lions, jersey swaps are more than just about the piece of cloth - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2019
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson has ties to Tom Peterson, Portland wrestling and, of course, Salt & Straw - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019
- Patrick Peterson is Projected to Be the #86 DB the Rest of the 2019 Season... Keep on the Waiver Wire - Scout - December 26th, 2019
- Harsin and the Broncos to face former head coach Chris Peterson in upcoming Las Vegas Bowl - Boise State University The Arbiter Online - December 26th, 2019
- Hosey: Where in the world is Drew Peterson? - DeKalb Daily Chronicle - December 26th, 2019
- These Are The Democrats Who Voted Against Impeaching President Trump - BuzzFeed News - December 18th, 2019
- Peterson, a Gretna resident, outskates the competition for the game she loves - Omaha World-Herald - December 18th, 2019
- AP's road to 1000 yards is hard, but doable - NBCSports.com - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Irishman' costume designers Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson on working with Martin Scorsese - Screen International - December 18th, 2019
- Champaign moms to open preschool that will 'immerse children in nature, play' - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- OU football: Kyler Murray beats Baker Mayfield, Adrian Peterson breaks a record, more Sooners in the NFL week 15 - The Oklahoma Daily - December 18th, 2019
- Justice for Kona: Puppy Station in Post Oak Mall closed in wake of lawsuit - KAGSTV.com - December 18th, 2019
- Patrick Peterson says he will be back with the Cardinals in 2020 - ClutchPoints - December 18th, 2019
- Peterson: Iowa State recruiting is still about turning three-star recruits into five-star players - Des Moines Register - December 18th, 2019
- 'I think it'll help': City plans to install traffic lights at Dublin and Peterson - KKTV 11 News - November 25th, 2019
- Adrian Peterson not selected to the NFLs All-Time Team - The Viking Age - November 25th, 2019