WASHINGTON Two Democrats broke with their party and voted against impeaching President Donald Trump Wednesday night.
Reps. Collin Peterson of Minnesota and Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey were the only Democrats who opposed impeaching the president. But Van Drew, the partys most vocal impeachment critic, plans to leave the Democratic Party in the coming days and become a Republican, after Trump made an appeal to him in a meeting last week.
Another Democrat, Maine Rep. Jared Golden, voted yes on impeaching Trump for abuse of power, but voted no on impeaching him for obstruction of Congress. Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, who is running for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020, voted present on both articles.
Van Drew and Peterson were the only Democrats to break with their party on an October vote to formalize the impeachment inquiry. Peterson said in the days leading up to the vote that he would likely oppose the articles of impeachment as well, while Van Drew prepared to leave the party.
A number of Van Drews staff resigned Sunday, writing in a letter that his decision to join the ranks of the Republican party led by Donald Trump does not align with the values we brought to this job when we joined his office.
Peterson said he, too, was approached about switching parties by the highest levels of the Republican party in the lead-up to the impeachment vote, but decided against it. Peterson, one of the most conservative Democrats in the House, was first elected in 1991. He, unlike most of his colleagues, supports giving Trump money to build a wall on the Southern border and is staunchly anti-abortion. He maintains an A rating from the National Rifle Association and beat his Republican opponent by about four points in 2018.
Golden, a first-year Democrat, narrowly defeated a Republican last year and is among the list of frontline Democrats party leadership considers most vulnerable in the upcoming election. In 2016, his district voted for Trump by 10 points.
In a statement Tuesday, Golden said he believed the House had clearly unearthed evidence that Trump abused the power of his office by asking Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his family. This action crossed a clear red line, and in my view, there is no doubt this is an impeachable act, the statement said.
But Golden said he planned to vote against the second article of impeachment because he did not believe the House had met the threshold of high crimes and misdemeanors related to obstruction of Congress.
Though Democrats did not tell members how they should vote on the articles of impeachment, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi worked doggedly in recent weeks to secure moderate votes for the articles that ultimately went to the floor abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
Many progressives and longtime impeachment supporters wanted a third article addressing obstruction of justice and Russian interference, related to former special counsel Robert Muellers report, but many moderates felt it went too far. In an effort to appease members on the fence, Pelosi instead made the call that the House would bring just two articles to the floor.
Still, following the release of the articles of impeachment, several moderate Democrats who had been skeptical of the inquiry including Reps. Josh Gottheimer, Kurt Schrader, Anthony Brindisi, and Ben McAdams met to discuss the possibility of censuring the president instead of impeaching him, according to a Politico report last week. Censuring would formally condemn Trumps actions, without actually sending him to a Senate trial for removal from office.
The group ultimately voted in favor of impeaching the president, though McAdams acknowledged at a press conference that he had hoped for a censure vote instead.
I hoped to find bipartisan common ground to censure the president instead of putting the country through a divisive and lengthy Senate impeachment trial with a predetermined outcome of dismissal, the Utah member said, adding I cannot turn a blind eye, thereby condoning this president and future presidents Republican or Democrat to do the same.
On Tuesday night ahead of the vote, Gabbard who is currently running in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary also said she supported a censure motion and was undecided on how she would vote on the articles of impeachment. Ultimately, she voted present on both articles.
New York Rep. Max Rose, another closely watched moderate Democrat and one of the last to officially support the inquiry, released a statement last weekend announcing that he would vote for both articles.
A President coercing a foreign government into targeting American citizens is not just another example of scorched earth politics, it serves as an invitation to the enemies of the United States to come after any citizen, so long as they disagree with the President. Embarking on an unprecedented effort to obstruct this inquiry doesnt make the facts any less true, the statement read.
See original here:
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020
- DoD issues travel restrictions: What this means for military in Colorado Springs - KKTV 11 News - March 17th, 2020
- REPORT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers to Announce Patriot QB Tom Brady Signing on Wednesday | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson through the years - The Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Lauralie Peterson wins third edition of 'Faces of St. Martin' - The Daily Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Oscar Peterson's Africa Suite has never been performed in its entirety until now - CBC.ca - February 12th, 2020
- Peterson wanting to put Alberta back in the PMO - EverythingGP - February 12th, 2020
- Dear Jordan Peterson Fans, Try to Actually Be More Like Him - Merion West - February 1st, 2020
- Lawrence returns to Trans Am with Peterson Racing - RACER - February 1st, 2020
- BOYS BASKETBALL REPORT | Austin Peterson has a night to remember in Windham - Record-Courier - February 1st, 2020
- As hemp production booms, Rep. Collin Peterson works to expand the CBD market - MinnPost - February 1st, 2020
- The Takeaway: San Antonio Pitmaster Brandon Peterson on Breaking From the Texas Barbecue Norm - San Antonio Current - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson leads by example on young team - The Sheridan Press - February 1st, 2020
- Peterson Companies Acquires The Shops at Stonewall in Gainesville - Prince William Living - February 1st, 2020
- Breaking News - All-New Series "Coyote Peterson: Brave the Wild" Premieres on Animal Planet Feb. 9 at 9PM ET/PT - The Futon Critic - February 1st, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 1st, 2020
- 49ers' one-year turnaround has ties to Gophers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 1st, 2020
- Mother and Son Alumni Share Connection as Chargers, Passion for Learning - University of New Haven News - February 1st, 2020
- 'I take full responsibility': Former Nampa teacher sentenced to 17 years in prison in lewd conduct case - KTVB.com - January 13th, 2020
- Miles adds to KU coaching staff - News - The Ottawa Herald - January 13th, 2020
- Bail denied for man charged in connection with death of Baltimore businesswoman - WBAL TV Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- 'Ive got five, and Im going to hit:' Man standing trial in deadly shooting in York - York Daily Record - January 13th, 2020
- Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson: Abortion 'didn't used to be a partisan issue' - City Pages - January 13th, 2020
- Permits for in-law flats and other ADUs are down but interest remains high - OregonLive - January 13th, 2020
- 29-Year-Old Terrance Peterson Charged In The Fatal Shooting Of Baltimore Mother Carmen Rodriguez At Kims Deli - CBS Baltimore - January 13th, 2020
- Player of the Week: Nick Peterson - The Bridgton News - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- Lehi and the Fragrant Highway | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 13th, 2020
- Death and Transfiguration | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 11th, 2020
- Peterson: Change on the way | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - January 5th, 2020
- NFL rumors: Why Eric Bieniemy might be the ideal coach for Giants mentality, according to Adrian Peterson - NJ.com - January 5th, 2020
- "He's A Heck Of A Coach": Players Give Their Thoughts On Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera - Redskins.com - January 5th, 2020
- The Lehites and Arabia | Dan Peterson - Patheos - January 5th, 2020
- Okies in the NFL: Peterson sits fifth on rushing list - Oklahoman.com - January 5th, 2020
- Legends built here - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sitting Down with the Director of The Rise of Jordan Peterson - Merion West - December 27th, 2019
- Collin Peterson goes his own way on impeachment; will it matter? - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 27th, 2019
- This former firefighter has a criminal past. Now, hes on the board that advises the state on its EMS system. - The Boston Globe - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Time, conditions might be right for beginning dairy farmers - Crow River Media - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson passes Walter Payton on the all-time rushing touchdown list - NBCSports.com - December 27th, 2019
- Giants gear up for another round with Adrian Peterson - Giants.com - December 27th, 2019
- Beast of the East wrestling: Patience pays off with title for SJVs Dean Peterson - nj.com - December 27th, 2019
- Peterson: Meet the most loyal of Iowa State's very loyal fans, who have attended each Cyclones bowl game - Des Moines Register - December 27th, 2019
- Tre Petersons story of excellence and perseverance - WRBL - December 27th, 2019
- Was Laci Peterson Found? Where Was Her Body? - Heavy.com - December 27th, 2019
- Hosey: Where in the world is Drew Peterson? - Northwest Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Information Released On Single Vehicle Accident In Broken Bow - Sand Hills Express - December 27th, 2019
- For these Detroit Lions, jersey swaps are more than just about the piece of cloth - Detroit Free Press - December 26th, 2019
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson has ties to Tom Peterson, Portland wrestling and, of course, Salt & Straw - OregonLive - December 26th, 2019