Learning how to listen without an agenda. Our society today is polarized because we dont listen to each other or respect others viewpoints. Were led by those seeking power and any advantage they can get by going on offense. People must learn how to compromise in ways that allow both sides to win. I write in detail about win/win negotiations in my book. All great relationships, in business, in marriage, or anywhere in life, rely on compromise, on letting the other guy win, too. And such relationships are rooted inrespect.
I had the distinct pleasure to interview Joel Peterson. Joel is the Chairman of JetBlue Airways and Founding Partner of Peterson Partners, an investment management firm. He was previously the CEO of Trammell Crow Company. Since 1992 he has been on the faculty at Stanfords Graduate School of Business, where he was awarded the 2005 Distinguished Teaching Award and the 2016 Robert K. Jaedicke Silver Apple Award. He is the author of THE 10 LAWS OF TRUST: Building the Bonds That Make a Business Great (Expanded Edition; HarperCollins Leadership; September 17, 2019).
Thank you so much for doing this with us Joel! Can you share your backstory with us?
Im a teacher, entrepreneur, author, husband, father and grandfather.
I began my career in commercial real estate and became the managing partner of Trammell Crow which, at the time, was the worlds largest private real estate development firm.
For the past 27 years I have been an Adjunct Professor at Stanford Universitys Graduate School of Business. A quarter century ago, I founded an investment firm, Peterson Partners, to help great entrepreneurs achieve their dreams.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you in your career?
Well, at 45 years old, I started over. My time at Trammell Crow had wrapped up with some unfortunate pyrotechnics, and I had to figure out what to do next. I began a career teaching courses at Stanfords Graduate School of business in Real Estate Finance, Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Managerial Skills.
I was nearly 50 when I founded Peterson Partners, where weve been lucky to be partners with some great leaders and the companies they founded, including Bonobos, Allbirds, JetBlue and Asurion.
Okay, lets jump to the core of the interview. Most times when people quit their jobs they actually quit their managers. What are your thoughts on the best way to retain talent today?
We all want to feel were respected members of a winning team doing something meaningful. If any of these elements is missing, our commitment declines, we consider leaving, or were just unhappy. This gets to the thesis of The 10 Laws of Trust. The best way to retain talent is to create a culture of trust and transparency where people feel empowered to reach their potential while, at the same time, working together toward shared goals that typically include growth, profits and respect for otherscustomers, teammates, investors, suppliers and communities.
The thesis of this book is that one can measure the trust level within ones organization. One can be intentional about building a high-trust organization and can either repair a broken trust or move on without becoming cynical or overly cautious. But it starts with understanding the nature of trust and building upon itone conversation at a time, one on-time, on-budget project at a timeas the foundation for a great career, a great business and great relationships with others.
How do you synchronize large teams to work together?
It starts with having a shared goalone developed by the team, not imposed from on high. If you can decide what winning is, youre halfway there. Then its a question of coming up with a strategy, assigning tasks and measuring the right keys to success, recognizing and rewarding people along the way. Naturally, this means you must communicate lavishlybad news as well as good news to effectively build trust. And you must delegate. Leaders at the top of an organization should be making only the close calls, those of a 5149 nature. Those who find themselves making easy decisions on a daily basis, failing to delegate and reserving every decision are sowing the seeds of low trust. This will make it impossible for a team to work without politics, recrimination and friction.
What advice would you give to other CEOs or founders to help their employees thrive?
Be transparent. Create headlines. Repeat them. Measure them. Celebrate their achievement. In a word, communicate more and better. Dont run the company by rumor or gossip. Trust your team and empower them one assignment at a time as you build trust.
You are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be?
Learning how to listen without an agenda. Our society today is polarized because we dont listen to each other or respect others viewpoints. Were led by those seeking power and any advantage they can get by going on offense.
People must learn how to compromise in ways that allow both sides to win. I write in detail about win/win negotiations in my book. All great relationships, in business, in marriage, or anywhere in life, rely on compromise, on letting the other guy win, too. And such relationships are rooted in respect.
Can you please give us your favorite Life lesson quote? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
Oliver Wendell Holmes said: I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity. Many people in our world of social media, fake news, quick turnarounds settle for near-side simplicity. Its only when youve worked your way through the complexity to find simplicity on the far side of complexity does one have a goal that others can implement. The paradox is that simplicity only yields to a study of the complex. But its a long road to get thereand there are no shortcuts.
Originally posted here:
- The Roger Tory Peterson Institute is set to reopen next week, July 18 | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - July 12th, 2020
- Peterson: Matt Campbell compares Breece Halls running back skill to David Montgomery and Kareem Hunt - Ames Tribune - July 12th, 2020
- Pekins Peterson moves to IUPUI - Pekin Daily Times - July 12th, 2020
- Arizona Cardinals 2020 cap hits: Patrick Peterson needs to show he can still be great - Revenge of the Birds - July 12th, 2020
- Peterson, Catherine M. - Press of Atlantic City - July 12th, 2020
- The Times recommends: Strom Peterson for the 21st Legislative District, Position 1 - Seattle Times - July 12th, 2020
- Peterson: No matter the obstacles and unknowns, Matt Campbell says his Cyclones will be ready - Des Moines Register - July 12th, 2020
- Judge blocks first federal execution in 17 years after victims' family raises concerns over virus - CBS News - July 12th, 2020
- Beefed-up rosters give Cardinals opening to flex versatility, depth of bullpen - STLtoday.com - July 12th, 2020
- Robin Yvonne Ingbretson Peterson | Obituaries - Ashland Daily Press - July 12th, 2020
- Man accused of murder after body found at homeless camp in Mead - The Spokesman-Review - July 12th, 2020
- Peterson: Unique perspectives of Big Ten's non-conference football decision that engulfs Cy-Hawk - Des Moines Register - July 12th, 2020
- Peterson: Steve Prohm advocates players players utilizing their platform to bring much-needed social change - Ames Tribune - July 12th, 2020
- BenFred: Baseball's first week back was a bumpy ride. Can things improve from here? - STLtoday.com - July 12th, 2020
- Judge postpones execution of inmate who was set to be first federal prisoner put to death in 17 years - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- Riding the waves: Rock River Safety Patrol sees swell in summertime traffic - Daily Union - July 11th, 2020
- Riding the waves: Rock River Safety Patrol sees swell in summertime traffic - HNGnews.com - July 6th, 2020
- Some Unexpected Survey Results - The New York Times - July 6th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Tim Peterson - Thoroughbred Daily News - July 6th, 2020
- They recall the turmoil of '68. Here's what they think of Black Lives Matter. - PublicSource - July 6th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Trusted 'the Wrong People' and Ended Up With a Negative $4 Million Net Worth - Sportscasting - July 6th, 2020
- Peterson: This college football season will be different from broadcast, advertising perspective, too - Boone News-Republican - July 6th, 2020
- What Is the Real Deal at Jordan Peterson's Thinkspot? - Merion West - July 6th, 2020
- Cardinals lefty Andrew Miller: 'There's still some doubt we're going to have a season' - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 6th, 2020
- Detroit Perfume-Maker Says New Scents Will Help Us Move Past Pandemic - WDET - July 6th, 2020
- Analysts think Saquon Barkley could be the next Adrian Peterson - 247Sports - June 9th, 2020
- Is Saquon Barkley the next Adrian Peterson? - Giants Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Analyzing the NY Mets' Top 10 prospects: No. 6 David Peterson - NorthJersey.com - June 9th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson Says He Will Kneel During The National Anthem Without A Doubt - uSports.org - June 9th, 2020
- How Michigan couples are getting married - or not - during the coronavirus pandemic - MLive.com - June 9th, 2020
- Protesters Renew Demand To Change The Name Of Faneuil Hall - WBUR - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: The things you won't see in 2020 | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: Iowa football allegations show the societal impact empowered college athletes can have here and nationally - Des Moines Register - June 9th, 2020
- James Peterson elected to roadbuilders hall of fame - Daily Reporter - June 9th, 2020
- McKinnon to test knee in workouts with AP - NFL.com - May 9th, 2020
- Behind the scenes with retail reporter Hayley Peterson - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 9th, 2020
- YouTuber Coyote Peterson willingly got stung by a Murder Hornet and it seemed awful - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 9th, 2020
- Student of the Week: Caley Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 9th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Is there too much 'fuss' over first responders? - The Bakersfield Californian - May 9th, 2020
- Sebring quarterback headed to powerhouse program: Theyre going to get my 100% - WKBN.com - May 9th, 2020
- Restaurants begin opening to dine-in guests once again - Daily Journal Online - May 9th, 2020
- Dickinson surprises teacher, staff of the year with parade - The Dickinson Press - May 9th, 2020
- Apart.y Helps You Connect With Loved Ones From Afar - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Some Children Diagnosed With Coronavirus Also Stricken By Inflammatory Syndrome - News On 6 - May 9th, 2020
- The Book-Length Critique of Jordan Peterson Isn't Perfect, Either - Merion West - May 9th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 9th, 2020
- Bee Peterson: We want to work. We will do it safely. Let us help figure things out so we can reopen - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 27th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson reacts to Trent Williams trade with disappointment - ClutchPoints - April 27th, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - April 27th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career - Redskins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- KC DoorDash driver starts petition for hazard pay; what other companies are doing - KSHB - April 27th, 2020
- Nursing homes sounded the alarm weeks ago, knowing COVID-19 could be devastating - WTSP.com - April 27th, 2020
- Three from Central Missouri to be inducted into MIAA Hall of Fame - The Daily Star-Journal - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan's 'last dance' at Carolina, through the eyes of his teammates - Winston-Salem Journal - April 27th, 2020
- The faces of adversity: Bemidji seniors mourn the death of a final season that never was - Bemidji Pioneer - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan feared a certain NFL legend on the basketball court, according to his North Carolina roommate - CBS Sports - April 27th, 2020
- The economic fallout of COVID-19: Baxter Regional fights to survive - ktlo.com - April 27th, 2020
- Fighting the virus with personal freedom in socialist Sweden - Chicago Daily Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Maryann Plunkett, Liza Jessie Peterson and More to Appear on 10PM WITH GALINSKY - Broadway World - April 24th, 2020
- Politics behind the pandemic - WAOW - April 24th, 2020
- 'The Last Kids on Earth': Max Brallier and Scott Peterson on Season 2 and Beyond - Collider.com - April 24th, 2020
- Iowa State starts re-stocking what could be a depleted tight end position with immediately eligible transfer - Des Moines Register - April 24th, 2020
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020