COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah -- An internal investigation with assistance from outside agencies is underway regarding the actions taken by Cottonwood Heights Police Officers during Sunday evening's protest which resulted in several arrests.
Whenever we use use of force, well do an internal investigation thats begun immediately. Well do that internally and well use some outside assistance to objectively look at our finding and well use that guide us going forward, said Cottonwood Heights Mayor Mike Peterson to FOX 13 on Tuesday. We hope that Sunday night was something we never see again.
Protesters gathered at Mill Hollow Park for a demonstration in memory of Zane James, a man who was shot and killed by officers in 2018. When the protesters left the park and traveled down a street into a neighborhood, thats when police were called.
Yeah, theyre blocking traffic, its on a Sunday on a low-traffic residential street, this is not impacting me, it wasnt impacting any of my neighbors to a degree that it should have been met with violence, said a local long-time resident named Jake in an interview with FOX 13.
With a number of live-streaming videos showing the demonstration moving from the park, down the street and quickly into a violent skirmish with police, its unclear exactly what led to the confrontation. Protesters are saying that police instigated the situation. Police told FOX 13 on Monday that demonstrators wanted a confrontation with law enforcement.
It feels like in that situation the Cottonwood Heights Police Department went from coming in to de-escalate straight to an enacting violence, skipping 20 other steps in what should be a rational de-escalation process, said Jake, who grew up in Cottonwood Heights. It was a group of kids mostly dancing down the street and weve seen this happen in places all over this community for the past eight weeks.
According to Mayor Peterson, there was no permit granted for protesters to be using a street that evening.
We will approve closing a street and facilitating it; That was not the case, said Mayor Peterson.
I didnt witness it personally, said Mayor Peterson who lives nearby where the clash took place. I did take the opportunity to talk to at least 20 residents who were on the route and asking for their thoughts and opinions and I got a variety of responses.
In an emergency meeting on Monday afternoon, discussions took place between city officials regarding de-escalation techniques and officers applying the law where appropriate. According to Mayor Peterson, conversations regarding police policy and reform have been in the works for weeks.
I was shocked, to see people being taken down on somebodys lawn was really quite shocking, said District 8 Senator Kathleen Riebe who calls Cottonwood Heights home. We clearly have work to do, were trying to be empathetic to both sides and understand where it transpired and how it escalated.
Riebe, along with others reacting on social media and publicly, wondered what distress call was made from police to trigger such an alarming response from area agencies.
What would solicit that many police officers showing? It was more police officers than protesters, you know? said Riebe.
Mayor Peterson says that hes received mixed reaction from members of the community. Some saying they support the actions taken place by officers on Sunday, while others think less force should have been applied. Regardless, Peterson vowed to listen to both sides and work towards enacting policy reform within the department. He applauds Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown and Mayor Erin Mendenhall along with members of the community who worked towards Mondays executive order regarding immediate reform.
Its just an unfortunate situation and we will get better, said Peterson. We have outstanding officers. They want to do the right thing. Its an unfortunate situation and I think from what happened Sunday night to what happened last night was a great step forward.
Read the original here:
- Doherty Needs to Hear Where Kean and Peterson Stand on Ukraine - InsiderNJ - January 25th, 2022
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson retires from tenured position at U of T - Varsity - January 25th, 2022
- Vikings' Patrick Peterson Linked to Patriots in Free Agency - Heavy.com - January 25th, 2022
- Peterson marks 1000th point in rout over Webster - Amery Free Press - January 25th, 2022
- Man Steals, Crashes Jeep With Two Young Girls Inside In Peterson Park - CBS Chicago - January 25th, 2022
- Deltek Government Contracting Experts Deniece Peterson and Kevin Plexico Named to the 2022 Wash100 List - WFMZ Allentown - January 25th, 2022
- UFC's Steven Peterson boycotts fighting in Texas, says 'commission is f*cked' - MMA Junkie - May 29th, 2021
- Keston Hiura returns to Brewers, Alec Bettinger optioned and Jace Peterson DFAd - Brew Crew Ball - May 29th, 2021
- Michigan State Baseball: Bailey Peterson wins Big Ten Player of the Week - The Only Colors - May 29th, 2021
- Charming D.B. Cooper suspect Sheridan Peterson dies at 94, spent years dedicated to political causes - OregonLive - January 31st, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals at the Pro Bowl, Patrick Peterson talks, Bruce Arians in the Super Bowl and - Revenge of the Birds - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson, Langford, Colson, Morgan, Zubcic named in BCL team of January - Eurohoops - January 31st, 2021
- T.I. and Tiny Deny Allegations of Drugging and Sexual Coercion - Vulture - January 31st, 2021
- Greg Peterson will succeed Bob Bjorklund as Bethel AD - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - January 31st, 2021
- 2021 IPPE: How has COVID-19 impacted the US broiler industry? - The Poultry Site - January 31st, 2021
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020