The Dothan Eagle released its Super 12 Girls Basketball Team Sunday. Eufaula junior Kaitlin Peterson was named its Player of the Year.
Petersons Eufaula teammates, Denahria Hicks and Zahria Hoskey, were named to the Honorable Mention squad, as was Lakesides Anna Murph.
Background: Peterson was a 5-foot-9 junior guard at Eufaula in her fourth full season on the Tigers varsity team, led by head coach Jermieke Cliatt.
By the Numbers: Peterson averaged a Wiregrass-best 23.7 points a game this past season for the Tigers, who finished with a 25-7 record and reached the Class 5A Southeast Regional Tournament. She also earned 7.1 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 5.5 steals per game. She also carries a 3.4 grade point average in classes.
On being named the player of the year: I am just excited and proud of myself. It feels good to be the player of the year.
What were your preseason goals? Just take my team to the state championship, but it didnt happen. At least, we made it far.
Did you have any individual goals? To be a great player and a great leader. To speak to the other players as I was the captain.
What did you want to improve on this year? I wanted to improve on being a leader and a better person, while still working on my game.
What parts of the game did you want to improve on? Defense and my ball handling. I feel like I have improved in both.
What kind of goals do you have for next year? To win a state championship with my team.
What kind of offers are you getting from colleges? D-I interest. I am looking forward to committing before school starts back (in August). I have had offers from Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, South Alabama, Georgia Southern, East Tennessee State, St. Johns, East Carolina, Jacksonville State, Troy, Grambling and Southern Miss.
Anything else about this past season? I love my teammates. I enjoy playing with them. They are my best friends. We love each other and we have fun. I really enjoyed the season with them even though we didnt make it to Birmingham. It really was a good season.
Cliatt on Peterson this season: I challenged her to be more of a vocal leader and also establishing the 3-point shot. She is so fast that she drives and drives, so I wanted her to establish a 3-point shot and a dribble-pull-up jumper, but most importantly was being more vocal on the court. Sometimes in her three previous years, she was just out there playing ball, but I told her that her teammates look up to her and she needed to be more vocal and be the quarterback of the team. Throughout the season, she really showed that, especially in the last ball games. She was communicating at halftime in the locker room and pumping the girls up. I also challenged her on change of pace knowing when to push the ball and knowing when to stop and set up the offense. She improved a lot in this area.
Kaitlin Peterson, Eufaula
In 32 games, Peterson averaged a Wiregrass-best 23.7 points (758) along with 7.1 rebounds (227), 6.0 assists (192) and 5.5 steals (175) per game.
In 25 games, Hudgens averaged 14.1 points (353), 5.3 rebounds (132), 4.6 assists (115) and 2.7 steals (68) a game.
In 23 games, Crews averaged 15.6 points (359), 4.8 rebounds (111), 2.5 assists (57) and 2.3 steals (52) a game.
Niaira Jones, Charles Henderson
In 29 games, Jones averaged 19.6 points (569), 6.0 rebounds (173), 6.6 assists (190) and 7.0 steals (203) a game for 5A state champions. Signed with Belmont.
Samira Moore, Charles Henderson
In 29 games, Moore averaged 20.0 points (580), 7.3 rebounds (212), 2.2 assists (62), 1.9 steals (55) and 3.9 blocks (114) a game for 5A state champions. Signed with Troy.
In 24 games, Bell averaged 13.6 points (327), 10.0 rebounds (240), 2.5 assists (60) and 1.7 steals (40) a game.
Adrianna Galloway, Headland
In 25 games, Galloway averaged 18.1 points (453), 7.2 rebounds (180), 5.3 assists (133) and 6.3 steals (158) a game.
Madisen Grimsley, Abbeville
In 24 games, Grimsley averaged 12.4 points (298), 10.5 rebounds (251), 2.3 assists (54), 1.8 steals (42) and 2.1 blocks (51) a game.
In 21 games, Johnson averaged 20.8 points (436), 11.0 rebounds (231), 2.4 assists (50), 2.8 steals (58) and 1.7 blocks (35) a game.
Mary Beth Long, G.W. Long
In 32 games, Long averaged 17.9 points (574), 7.3 rebounds (233), 0.8 assists (27) and 1.2 steals (37) a game for the state semifinal Rebels.
Karoline Striplin, Geneva County
In 31 games, Striplin averaged 21.2 points (658), a Wiregrass-high 13.3 rebounds (412) plus 3.4 assists (105), 3.2 steals (99) and 5.7 blocks (176) a game. Committed to Tennessee.
Courtney Lunsford, Kinston
In 21 games, Lunsford averaged 14.1 points (297), 7.1 rebounds (149) and 4.5 steals (95) a game.
Honorable Mention Super 12: Denahria Hicks, Eufaula; Zahria Hoskey, Eufaula; Anna Murph, Lakeside; Brianna Reese, Dothan; Amiyah Rollins, Dothan; Sylvia Somma, Rehobeth; Jayden Blackmon, Headland; Alexus Neal, Headland; Madison Johnson, Geneva; Shekinah McDaniel, Providence Christian; Autumn Mayes, Providence Christian; Jamya Glover, Abbeville; Willow Brumfield, Cottonwood; Jordyn Alston, Geneva County; Charlianna Boutwell, Geneva County; Emmaline Hughes, G.W. Long; Makenna Long, G.W. Long; Jaylyn Baker, Elba; Nina Williams, Elba; Ashlyn Simpson, Northside Methodist; Lucy Griffin, Northside Methodist; Shelby Renfroe, Pike Liberal Arts; Analeigh Givens, Abbeville Christian.
See more here:
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020
- Man accused of shooting tenants' AC with shotgun - Rutland Herald - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 31st, 2020
- 'Voire Dire': How the Portage County Circuit Court inspired an opera, and now a CD - Stevens Point Journal - July 29th, 2020
- Brett Favre Gave Adrian Peterson the Motivation to Keep Playing - Sportscasting - July 29th, 2020
- Rookie David Peterson in the conversation to join Mets rotation - New York Post - July 28th, 2020
- Hello Idaho: The Speedy Foundation continues to offer guidance surrounding suicide prevention - KTVB.com - July 28th, 2020
- Peterson: Re-discovering that theres no one-size-fits-all for college football - Des Moines Register - July 28th, 2020
- Athlete of the Week: Dylan Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 28th, 2020
- After 30 Years, Making Accessibility Information Accessible - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 28th, 2020
- Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - Standard-Times - July 28th, 2020
- SAISD: Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - ConchoValleyHomepage.com - July 26th, 2020
- Millie Peterson - Antioch On The Move - July 26th, 2020
- Hochman: With compassion and grace, Wainwright showed why Cardinals wore Black Lives Matter shirts - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 26th, 2020
- How They Shot the Wrong-Way Car Chase in To Live and Die in L.A. - Film School Rejects - July 26th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: The happiest story of the week - The Bakersfield Californian - July 26th, 2020
- Peterson: Can it be there is a glimmer? | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - July 26th, 2020