USA TODAY Sports' Gabe Lacques breaks down the greatest issues surrounding negotiations between Major League Baseball and its' players. USA TODAY
As we wait, with hope, for the start of the baseball season, we are analyzing each of the New York Mets' Top 10 prospects with a series of reports.
If you want to know what the Mets think about lefty David Peterson, recall what manager Luis Rojas said during spring training. Multiple times, he stated the club was stretching out seven starting pitchers.
There were six arms competing for five rotation spots. The seventh man?
He did not possess a realistic shot to make the Opening Day rotation, but the fact the Mets were preparing him as a starter speaks to how highly they view him. Of all arms in the farm system, he might be closest to making a big-league start.
Analyzing the NY Mets' Top 10 prospects: No. 7 Mark Vientos
Analyzing the NY Mets' Top 10 prospects: No. 8 Thomas Szapucki
Feb 24, 2020; West Palm Beach, Florida, USA; New York Mets pitcher David Peterson (77) throws against the Washington Nationals at FITTEAM Ballpark of the Palm Beaches.(Photo: Jim Rassol-USA TODAY Sports)
In 2017, MLB.com ranked Peterson as the No. 19 prospect in the MLB Draft. The Mets eventually took Peterson with the No. 20 overall pick, and he's risen ever since.
Peterson began2018, his first full pro season, in Low A. Over nine starts, the Oregon alumpitched to a 1.82 ERA as he displayed his first-round talent. He finished the season in High A, where he started 13 games and pitched to a 4.33 ERA.
In 2019, he started 24 Double A games, finishing with a 4.19 ERA.
Fielder independent pitching (FIP) isolates the outcomes a pitcher can control. Simple terms: It does not account for outcomes that involve luck (balls in play).
Peterson's FIP in 2018 was 2.98. A year later, it was 3.19. Those indicate he might have pitched better than his ERA shows.
Perhaps most important, he proved he can handle the grind of a professional starting pitcher. He has not missed extended time.
Often, minor-league pitchers are evaluated over small sample sizes, whether that be because of injuries or innings limits. Peterson, on the other hand, has started two full seasons.
Feb 16, 2020; Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA; New York Mets pitcher David Peterson (77) waits to do defensive drills during a workout at spring training.(Photo: Jim Rassol-USA TODAY Sports)
Since taking over as general manager, Brodie Van Wagenen has been aggressive. He's acted on the organization's desire to win now.
While noble, it has also come at a cost. Trading Jarred Kelenic haunts fans, but the Mets also lost three good pitching prospects over the last year and a half.
In the Robinson Can-Edwin Diaz deal, the Mets sent the Mariners Justin Dunn,who reached the bigs last season and notched a 2.70 ERA over 6 2/3 innings. Months later, the Mets traded their top two pitching prospects Anthony Kay and Simeon Woods Richardson to acquire Marcus Stroman from Toronto.
These moves created an opportunity for others in the New York farm system, though. Suddenly, Petersonbecame one of the best prospect arms.
He represents needed starting pitching depth. In spring training, six starters competed for five spots. The competition eventually worked itself out when Noah Syndergaard underwent Tommy John surgery.
But behind him?
Well, that's where things get interesting. The Mets sent Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman into last offseason with an order to prepare as if they'd be starters in 2020, but because the club signed Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha, the former two went back to the bullpen.
Walker Lockett made a few spot starts for the Mets in 2019, and could be an option. But Peterson could also be considered.
Peterson made a strong impression this spring, allowing only a run over six innings of Grapefruit League action.
Thus far, his rise has seemed encouraging for an organization that needs capableprospects to move through its ranks.
Justin Toscanois theMetsbeat writer for NorthJersey.com. For unlimited access to allMetsanalysis, news, trades and more, pleasesubscribe todayanddownload our app.
Read more from the original source:
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 4th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 4th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- [Listen] Mike and Kay Peterson Outstanding Conservationist - kdhlradio.com - August 4th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020
- Man accused of shooting tenants' AC with shotgun - Rutland Herald - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 31st, 2020
- 'Voire Dire': How the Portage County Circuit Court inspired an opera, and now a CD - Stevens Point Journal - July 29th, 2020
- Brett Favre Gave Adrian Peterson the Motivation to Keep Playing - Sportscasting - July 29th, 2020
- Rookie David Peterson in the conversation to join Mets rotation - New York Post - July 28th, 2020
- Hello Idaho: The Speedy Foundation continues to offer guidance surrounding suicide prevention - KTVB.com - July 28th, 2020
- Peterson: Re-discovering that theres no one-size-fits-all for college football - Des Moines Register - July 28th, 2020
- Athlete of the Week: Dylan Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 28th, 2020
- After 30 Years, Making Accessibility Information Accessible - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 28th, 2020
- Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - Standard-Times - July 28th, 2020
- SAISD: Allison Peterson Named Region 15 Secondary Teacher of the Year - ConchoValleyHomepage.com - July 26th, 2020
- Millie Peterson - Antioch On The Move - July 26th, 2020
- Hochman: With compassion and grace, Wainwright showed why Cardinals wore Black Lives Matter shirts - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 26th, 2020
- How They Shot the Wrong-Way Car Chase in To Live and Die in L.A. - Film School Rejects - July 26th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: The happiest story of the week - The Bakersfield Californian - July 26th, 2020
- Peterson: Can it be there is a glimmer? | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- Original artist working to restore replica fish car - The Wilton Bulletin - July 26th, 2020
- BenFred: Cardinals are showing their city how to have hard discussions about racism. Let's learn from them - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 26th, 2020
- Hamilton Health Center to roll out free community Covid-19 testing - ABC27 - July 25th, 2020
- 'Your inner voice will need to be your compass': Turners Falls High School says goodbye to Class of 2020 - The Recorder - July 25th, 2020
- Grand Chute police will not take disciplinary action against officer who posted racist tweets in high school - Post-Crescent - July 25th, 2020
- Madison Local Schools will offer online academy option - Richland Source - July 21st, 2020
- Original artist working to restore replica fish car - Huron Daily Tribune - July 21st, 2020
- Gervase Peterson urges Survivor to be more equally diverse, both on-screen and behind-the-scenes - Gold Derby - July 21st, 2020
- Peterson Way Office Project Variance Gets Approved - The Silicon Valley Voice - July 21st, 2020
- ABC 27 reporter Alex Peterson announces he will be leaving the Harrisburg TV station - PennLive - July 21st, 2020
- Peterson Farm Bros. Check In With Some Summer Fun - Southeast Produce Weekly - July 21st, 2020
- Western News - The Western News - July 21st, 2020
- Rockaway Township's recreation overhaul moves forward. Here are the plans - Daily Record - July 21st, 2020
- A Peterson Farm Brother breaks down why it is OK to be a small farmer | AGDALY - AGDAILY - July 21st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Devastatingly Lost His 2-Year-Old Son That He Never Met - Sportscasting - July 21st, 2020
- The Recruiting Trail: Belmont checked all the boxes for K-W's Peterson - PostBulletin.com - July 21st, 2020
- Body of fisherman recovered from Root River near Peterson - WXOW.com - July 21st, 2020
- Whalan foregoes renting of city hall until further notice - Fillmore County Journal - July 21st, 2020
- How to rethink therapy to address Black trauma in the wake of Covid-19 - The Philadelphia Citizen - July 21st, 2020
- Carson Palmer, Patrick Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald have good showing at American Century Championship celeb - Revenge of the Birds - July 21st, 2020
- Debbie Peterson: How to focus your career on the future - GoErie.com - July 20th, 2020
- LETTERS: Public health measures send readers into the red zone - Waco Tribune-Herald - July 19th, 2020
- Bird Droppings: Michael Bidwill released from hospital, defensive line improvements, Peterson and Fitz at the - Revenge of the Birds - July 19th, 2020
- After Storms, Red Cliff Band Declares State Of Emergency On Reservation - FOX 21 Online - July 19th, 2020
- Peterson: Former Cyclone QB great Seneca Wallace has a stake in a healthy and successful 2020 football season - Des Moines Register - July 19th, 2020
- ESPN poll: 3 Cardinals defensive players are top-10 at their position - Arizona Sports - July 18th, 2020
- Bravehearts: Kevin Hummer of Shrewsbury is ready to serve the game - Worcester Telegram - July 18th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Should the kiddos go to school in person? - The Bakersfield Californian - July 18th, 2020
- ScanSource Reaffirms Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion with Creation of Dedicated Program - Business Wire - July 18th, 2020
- Peterson: Matt Campbell compares Breece Halls running back skill to David Montgomery and Kareem Hunt - Ames Tribune - July 18th, 2020
- What's with all the heat? Heat wave nothing really new | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - July 18th, 2020
- AMATEUR BASEBALL: Production at the plate | News, Sports, Jobs - Marshall Independent - July 18th, 2020
- 5 best players for the New Orleans Saints that you forgot about - ClutchPoints - July 18th, 2020
- 'I try to stress the positive' - Albert Lea Tribune - Albert Lea Tribune - July 15th, 2020
- Beefed-up rosters give Cardinals opening to flex versatility, depth of bullpen - The Salem News - July 15th, 2020
- Original artist working to restore D.C. Booth fish car - Black Hills Pioneer - July 15th, 2020
- Barbara Palumbo and Kate Peterson Provide Retailer Insights and Tips for The Plumb Club's July Podcasts - INSTORE MAG - July 15th, 2020
- Parayko, Bortuzzo not on the ice as Blues start training camp - St. Louis Post-Dispatch - July 15th, 2020
- Peterson: Unique perspectives of Big Ten's non-conference football decision that engulfs Cy-Hawk - Des Moines Register - July 15th, 2020
- Former QB Campbell remembers his time in Washington - NBC Sports Washington - July 15th, 2020
- In overnight orders, justices allow federal execution to proceed - SCOTUSblog - July 15th, 2020
- Peterson: No matter the obstacles and unknowns, Matt Campbell says his Cyclones will be ready - Des Moines Register - July 15th, 2020