As nice as it’d be to have the option of catching up on some reading — or sleep — while an autonomous vehicle drives you to work, the real draw of self-driving cars is the idea that they’ll be safer drivers than whoever just cut you off in the exit lane with inches to spare. After all, if the vast majority of traffic accidents are caused by human error, taking humans out of the equation should save lives, right?
In theory, sure. But in practice? Only if we can build autonomous vehicles safer than, well, the average driver. And right now, the entire auto industry is approaching that same goal from countless directions, and no one even knows what the measure of success is — or should — be.
To bring some orderliness to this currently chaotic situation, a group of 11 companies, including Intel, Audi, and Volkswagen, teamed up to publish a white paper titled “Safety First for Automated Driving,” an exhaustive guide to developing safe autonomous vehicles.
The 146-page-long document’s centerpiece are twelve guiding principles detailing the various capabilities a self-driving car must have before it can be considered “safe.” Here’s a quick primer on each of them.
Safe Operation: An autonomous vehicle must be able to cope with the loss of any of its critical components.
Safety Layer: The self-driving car must know its own limits and understand when it’s safe to return control to the human driver.
Operational Design Domain (ODD): The autonomous vehicle must be prepared to assess the risks of typical driving situations.
Behavior in Traffic: The car’s behavior needs to be predictable to other drivers on the road, and it needs to act according to traffic rules.
User Responsibility: The vehicle needs to be able to recognize a driver’s state of alertness and communicate to them any tasks for which they are responsible.
Vehicle-Initiated Handover: Autonomous vehicles must be able to let drivers know when they need to takeover and make it easy for them to do so. If a takeover request is ignored, the vehicle also needs to have a way to cope with the situation while minimizing risk.
Driver-Initiated Handover: The driver needs to have a way to explicitly ask to take over operation of the self-driving car.
Effects of Automation: An autonomous vehicle must consider how automation could affect the driver even directly after the period of automated driving is over.
Safety Assessment: There needs to be a consistent way to verify and validate the autonomous vehicle’s ability to meet safety goals.
Data Recording: If the self-driving car recognizes an event or incident, it needs to be able to record relevant data in a way that doesn’t violate applicable data privacy laws.
Security: Safe autonomous vehicles will need to have some protection against security threats.
Passive Safety: The self-driving car needs to be prepared for any crash scenarios that might be unique to vehicle automation.
This all sounds well and good. Accomplishing all — let alone most, or even a majority — of these goals is going to be another matter.
Notably, a few major companies and tech players are missing from the list of people who assembled this list (i.e., Tesla, Waymo, et al). Hard not to wonder why: Maybe these companies, all of whom are seemingly behind in the race for self-driving vehicles, are looking to assemble some common ground to edge their behemoth competition out of (or maybe they simply have other ideas about safety).
Whatever the case may be, the autonomous road race won’t be won by anybody who doesn’t adhere to these concepts if they become law — in other words, consider this just another in a long series of shots in the war to earn pole position.
READ MORE: 11 companies propose guiding principles for self-driving vehicles [VentureBeat]
More on autonomous vehicles: This Guide Could Dictate How Cops Handle Autonomous Car Crashes
The post White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars appeared first on Futurism.
Follow this link:
- Facebook Is Finally Fighting Its Pseudoscience “Miracle Cure” Content Problem - July 6th, 2019
- This AI Gives Other AIs Names Like “Ass Federation” And “Hot Pie” Because Robots Can Be Weird Too - July 6th, 2019
- Here’s How You Can Watch Today’s Total Solar Eclipse - July 6th, 2019
- World’s Smallest MRI Machine Means We Can Now Scan Individual Atoms - July 6th, 2019
- NASA’s Orion Crew Capsule Aced Its Abort System Test - July 6th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants Its Own Orbital Space Station, Like a Death Star, But Not, Okay? - July 6th, 2019
- Russian Sub That Caught Fire Possibly Sent to Cut Internet Cables - July 6th, 2019
- What Do a Toy Store and a Tech Accelerator Have in Common? Cloud-Based Tech. - July 6th, 2019
- This Room-Sized Device Could Create Artificial Gravity in Space - July 6th, 2019
- AI Poised to Ruin Internet Using “Massive Tsunami” of Fake News - July 6th, 2019
- CRISPR Helps Scientists Cure HIV In Living Animals For First Time - July 6th, 2019
- Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space - July 6th, 2019
- Possible Alien Radio Signals Way More Common Than Believed - July 6th, 2019
- We May Never Know When That Third CRISPR Baby Is Born - July 6th, 2019
- The Era of Sex for Reproduction Is Coming to an End, Says Author - July 6th, 2019
- A Physicist and His Son Are 3D-Printing a Full-Scale Lamborghini - July 6th, 2019
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 28th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 28th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 28th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 28th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 28th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 28th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 28th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 28th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 28th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 28th, 2019
- Elon Musk Ridicules Jeff Bezos’ Plan For Space Colonies - May 28th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 28th, 2019
- This Robot Scans Preschoolers’ Faces Daily for Signs of Sickness - May 28th, 2019
- New Research: The Oceans Are Slowly Leaking Into the Earth - May 28th, 2019
- Studying the Sun’s Atmosphere Could Make Fusion Power a Reality - May 28th, 2019
- NASA Just Hired the First Contractor to Build Lunar Space Station - May 28th, 2019
- Anonymous Group of 3D-Printed Gun Makers Is Spreading Online - May 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Menu - islandsrestaurants.com - May 11th, 2019
- Careers | Islands Restaurants - May 11th, 2019
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - May 11th, 2019
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - April 29th, 2019
- Island - Wikipedia - April 29th, 2019
- Lists of islands - Wikipedia - April 29th, 2019
- Hawaiian Islands | Go Hawaii - April 29th, 2019
- Expert: AI-Generated Music Is A “Total Legal Clusterf*ck” - April 21st, 2019
- The Mueller Report Confirms We’re Living in a Cyberpunk Dystopia - April 21st, 2019
- When the Large Hadron Collider Turns on, It May Trap Dark Matter - April 21st, 2019
- This Space Roomba Could Clean the ISS While Astronauts Sleep - April 21st, 2019
- John McAfee Vows to Reveal Bitcoin’s Creator - April 21st, 2019
- Astronomers Finally Found the Universe’s First Type of Molecule - April 21st, 2019
- India Blew up a Satellite. Now A “Space Fence” Is Tracking Its Debris - April 21st, 2019
- Amazing New Rocket Engine Sucks up Atmospheric Oxygen for Fuel - April 21st, 2019
- Climate Change Could Cause Fukushima-Style Meltdowns in the US - April 21st, 2019
- Denver Is Voting on Whether to Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms - April 21st, 2019
- Listen to Brutal Death Metal Made by a Neural Network - April 21st, 2019
- Professor: Total Surveillance Is the Only Way to Save Humanity - April 21st, 2019
- China’s Military Built an Autonomous Amphibious Landing Vehicle - April 21st, 2019
- Boston Dynamics Unveils SpotMini You’ll Actually Be Able to Buy - April 21st, 2019
- Puerto Rico Will Stop Burning Coal Next Year - April 21st, 2019
- Scientists Find Genetic Variants That Prevent Obesity, Diabetes - April 21st, 2019
- IBM Pulls the Plug on Drug-Discovering Watson AI - April 21st, 2019
- The Government Wants to Make an Example out of Mark Zuckerberg - April 21st, 2019
- From Coffee to Popcorn, Celebrate 420 With These Futuristic CBD Edibles - April 21st, 2019
- Scientists Create Material With “Artificial Metabolism” - April 21st, 2019
- Island Maps: Caribbean Islands, Greek Islands, Pacific ... - April 20th, 2019
- Islands (band) - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Island - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 12th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 12th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 12th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 12th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 12th, 2019