As nice as it’d be to have the option of catching up on some reading — or sleep — while an autonomous vehicle drives you to work, the real draw of self-driving cars is the idea that they’ll be safer drivers than whoever just cut you off in the exit lane with inches to spare. After all, if the vast majority of traffic accidents are caused by human error, taking humans out of the equation should save lives, right?
In theory, sure. But in practice? Only if we can build autonomous vehicles safer than, well, the average driver. And right now, the entire auto industry is approaching that same goal from countless directions, and no one even knows what the measure of success is — or should — be.
To bring some orderliness to this currently chaotic situation, a group of 11 companies, including Intel, Audi, and Volkswagen, teamed up to publish a white paper titled “Safety First for Automated Driving,” an exhaustive guide to developing safe autonomous vehicles.
The 146-page-long document’s centerpiece are twelve guiding principles detailing the various capabilities a self-driving car must have before it can be considered “safe.” Here’s a quick primer on each of them.
Safe Operation: An autonomous vehicle must be able to cope with the loss of any of its critical components.
Safety Layer: The self-driving car must know its own limits and understand when it’s safe to return control to the human driver.
Operational Design Domain (ODD): The autonomous vehicle must be prepared to assess the risks of typical driving situations.
Behavior in Traffic: The car’s behavior needs to be predictable to other drivers on the road, and it needs to act according to traffic rules.
User Responsibility: The vehicle needs to be able to recognize a driver’s state of alertness and communicate to them any tasks for which they are responsible.
Vehicle-Initiated Handover: Autonomous vehicles must be able to let drivers know when they need to takeover and make it easy for them to do so. If a takeover request is ignored, the vehicle also needs to have a way to cope with the situation while minimizing risk.
Driver-Initiated Handover: The driver needs to have a way to explicitly ask to take over operation of the self-driving car.
Effects of Automation: An autonomous vehicle must consider how automation could affect the driver even directly after the period of automated driving is over.
Safety Assessment: There needs to be a consistent way to verify and validate the autonomous vehicle’s ability to meet safety goals.
Data Recording: If the self-driving car recognizes an event or incident, it needs to be able to record relevant data in a way that doesn’t violate applicable data privacy laws.
Security: Safe autonomous vehicles will need to have some protection against security threats.
Passive Safety: The self-driving car needs to be prepared for any crash scenarios that might be unique to vehicle automation.
This all sounds well and good. Accomplishing all — let alone most, or even a majority — of these goals is going to be another matter.
Notably, a few major companies and tech players are missing from the list of people who assembled this list (i.e., Tesla, Waymo, et al). Hard not to wonder why: Maybe these companies, all of whom are seemingly behind in the race for self-driving vehicles, are looking to assemble some common ground to edge their behemoth competition out of (or maybe they simply have other ideas about safety).
Whatever the case may be, the autonomous road race won’t be won by anybody who doesn’t adhere to these concepts if they become law — in other words, consider this just another in a long series of shots in the war to earn pole position.
READ MORE: 11 companies propose guiding principles for self-driving vehicles [VentureBeat]
More on autonomous vehicles: This Guide Could Dictate How Cops Handle Autonomous Car Crashes
The post White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars appeared first on Futurism.
Follow this link:
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Ladies and gents in festive attire and more - SILive.com - January 16th, 2020
- Former WingHouse on 4th Will be a Rumba Island Bar and Grill - St. Pete Rising - January 16th, 2020
- Staten Island Tech ranks 2nd in list of top 2020 NYC high schools - SILive.com - January 16th, 2020
- Whats the average credit score on Staten Island? - SILive.com - January 16th, 2020
- Meet Love Island Winter 2020 contestant Finley Tapp the bombshell footballer who fancies three Islanders - RadioTimes - January 16th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom on China's Island Bases Is Dangerously Wrong - War on the Rocks - January 16th, 2020
- Hawaii island takes brunt of storm - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 16th, 2020
- the first building of zaha hadid's 'unicorn island' nears completion in china - Designboom - January 16th, 2020
- White Island Tours restarts visits to Moutohor Island - RNZ - January 16th, 2020
- Are Americans drinking less wine? Staten Island business owners weigh in. - SILive.com - January 16th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean currently offering cruises from Galveston to its magical private island, CocoCay - Chron - January 16th, 2020
- Heres how you can live on a remote Irish island for free this year - IrishCentral - January 16th, 2020
- Matchbox Twenty, Wallflowers announced for Treasure Island concert series - Bring Me The News - January 16th, 2020
- Treasure Island residents say contamination could be making them ill - Business Insider - January 16th, 2020
- 6 versions of paradise: How to choose the right Hawaiian island for you - The Points Guy - December 27th, 2019
- Oil Spill Occurs in the Galapagos Islands; Emergency Declared - EDM Digest - December 27th, 2019
- The lesson from my trip to China? Solomon Islands is not ready to deal with this giant - The Guardian - December 27th, 2019
- Watching NYE fireworks? Stay away from Treasure Island, officials warn - KRON4 - December 27th, 2019
- 38% of Survivor fans cant wait until Winners at War, even if 12% thought Island of the Idols was the worst season ever [POLL RESULTS] - Gold Derby - December 27th, 2019
- 187 Rescued from Small Raft Off Turks and Caicos Islands - The Maritime Executive - December 27th, 2019
- New Zealand volcano: 17th person dies from White Island eruption - CNN - December 27th, 2019
- Billionaires and Their Superyachts Are Flocking to This Caribbean Island - Vanity Fair - December 27th, 2019
- 50 years, 50 photos with Santa: Bainbridge Island family members come from near and far to keep tradition going - Seattle Times - December 27th, 2019
- Ex-'Love Island' host Caroline Flack hit boyfriend with lamp as he slept, court hears - CNN - December 27th, 2019
- Support The Enlisted Project (STEP) and North Island Credit Union Distribute Over 300 Holiday Gifts & Supplies To Military and Veteran Families -... - December 27th, 2019
- Year-end wet weather could push Grand Island to its third wettest year on record - Grand Island Independent - December 27th, 2019
- Laura Whitmore announced as new 'Love Island' host - CNN - December 27th, 2019
- Relocated island wolves outlasting mainland wolves in new Isle Royale home - Science Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- Watch: Driver smashes into SUV, then barrier on Staten Island Expressway - SILive.com - December 27th, 2019
- College of Staten Island hitting refresh button on Tournament of Heroes - SILive.com - December 27th, 2019
- Hart Island Cemetery Will Be Reincarnated as a Public Space - Hyperallergic - December 26th, 2019
- Snake Island And 19 Other Islands That Are Just Plain Dangerous - TheTravel - December 26th, 2019
- Marco Island police officers will carry life-saving drug Narcan - Naples Daily News - December 26th, 2019
- All Residents Leave Canadian Island After Government Cuts Off Power. One Couple Remains. - The Daily Wire - December 26th, 2019
- Royals in B.C.: Prince Harry and family celebrating Christmas on Vancouver Island - National Post - December 26th, 2019
- Island takes action on shoreline projects - Brownsville Herald - December 26th, 2019
- A Staten Island holiday ritual: Waiting in line at Royal Crown bakery - SILive.com - December 26th, 2019
- World Class Scuba Diving Abounds Off the US Virgin Islands - St, Thomas Source - November 13th, 2019
- Love Island star and pro boxer Tommy Fury eyes fight with KSI - CNN - November 13th, 2019
- Family seeks information after woman's body discovered in Merritt Island - Florida Today - November 13th, 2019
- Love Island's Lucie Donlan almost spills out of her dress as she joins beau Joe at ITV Palooza - Mirror Online - November 13th, 2019
- Lorraine cackles tension between Love Island Amy Hart and Curtis Pritchard - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- Mother of 4 killed in head-on collision on Hawaii Island - KHON2 - November 13th, 2019
- You can buy this tiny island near Mackinac for $850K - MLive.com - November 13th, 2019
- 'The Curse of Oak Island': This Theory About the Buried Treasure Makes So Much Sense - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 13th, 2019
- Watch: Rock Island holds panel discussion on what recreational marijuana will look like for the city - WQAD Moline - November 13th, 2019
- Vancouver Island teacher suspended for inappropriate comments - Vancouver Sun - November 13th, 2019
- How Greece is tackling overtourism, the migrant crisis and the fallout from Thomas Cook's failure - The Telegraph - November 13th, 2019
- Love Island and Rugby World Cup boosts ITV - The Guardian - November 13th, 2019
- Two arrests after probe into tobacco smuggling from Cook Islands - RNZ - November 13th, 2019
- Volcanic eruption creates new island in Tongan archipelago - The Guardian - November 13th, 2019
- The Cynthia Taylu Conversation We All Missed On Love Island Australia - HuffPost Australia - November 13th, 2019
- SE Neighborhood Meeting Talking Beaver Islands, Talahi Woods - WJON News - November 1st, 2019
- Want an island? Here are six you can choose from, including five off the B.C. coast - National Post - November 1st, 2019
- Wild swimming, art walks and islands: five car-free day trips from Sydney - The Guardian - November 1st, 2019
- Insurance fraud investigation leads to Rock Island womans guilty plea - WQAD Moline - November 1st, 2019
- HAUNTED: Fainting Goat Island Inn - WBNG-TV - November 1st, 2019
- Black Travel Vibes: Relax On The Colorful Shores Of Komodo Island - Essence - November 1st, 2019
- Grand Island woman not interested in $4.5 million lottery win - Grand Island Independent - November 1st, 2019
- Love Island's X Factor stars needed therapy to work through their trust issues - Mirror Online - November 1st, 2019
- On a Greek Island, a Bookstore With Some Mythology of Its Own - The New York Times - November 1st, 2019
- Final Bannerman Island Tour Set For This Weekend - wpdh.com - November 1st, 2019
- Turks and Caicos Private Island Ambergris Cay Unveils Villas With Upgraded All-Inclusive Perks - Robb Report - November 1st, 2019
- Lord Howe Island rodent eradication program on track for success as last bait traps laid - ABC News - November 1st, 2019
- Trick or treat! Its already Christmas at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - November 1st, 2019
- Prince Charles set for emotional Solomon Islands trip in bid to tackle climate change - Express - November 1st, 2019
- One New Thing to Check Out on Every Hawaiian Island From new stargazing opportunities to exclusive - msnNOW - November 1st, 2019
- Love Island star Amber Gills reaction to exes Greg and Michael hanging out is all of us - cosmopolitan.com - November 1st, 2019
- United efforts to tackle falling population in Scottish Highlands and Islands - The National - October 29th, 2019
- Coral cover around popular Great Barrier Reef islands has almost halved - The Guardian - October 29th, 2019
- A New Way to Vacation in the British Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - October 29th, 2019
- Will There Be a Season 7 of 'The Curse of Oak Island'? Details! - Distractify - October 29th, 2019
- Love Island's Jourdan Riane and Danny Williams have reportedly split - cosmopolitan.com - October 29th, 2019
- Love Island's Olivia Buckland and Alex Bowen named the show's richest contestants ever - Irish Mirror - October 29th, 2019
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard says Strictly may not be the right move for him - Mirror Online - October 29th, 2019
- Pollock will preserve island's quality of life | Letter to the editor - Bainbridge Island Review - October 29th, 2019
- City of Davenport removing some flood measures, re-opening Credit Island - KWQC-TV6 - October 29th, 2019
- A Bright-Green Island Stars in this Seriously Bold Forest Hills Kitchen - Washingtonian - October 29th, 2019
- Revealed: The law that means Argentina can never take Falkland Islands by force again - Express.co.uk - October 29th, 2019
- Seal of approval: Farne Islands population boom gathers pace - The Guardian - October 29th, 2019