On Monday, the South China Morning Post published a story about the content moderation operations at Inke, one of China’s largest live-streaming companies.
The piece offers a rare glimpse at how China’s private sector helps facilitate government censorship. In some cases, that means flagging streams of people smoking or wearing bikinis — content that would likely seem fairly innocuous to an American audience — but in others, it means preventing internet viewers from seeing streams of people committing acts of terrorism or violence.
That’s the same kind of content multinational corporations such as Facebook have had trouble moderating — raising questions about what these Chinese companies have figured out that American ones haven’t.
Inke tasks a team of 1,200 moderators with policing the streams of its 25 million users, according to SCMP.
The moderators watch streams 10- to 15-seconds before they actually go live, and in that time, they’re expected to catch anything “that is against the law and regulations, against mainstream values, and against the company’s values,” Zhi Heng, Inke’s content safety team leader, told the SCMP.
Inke defers to guidelines published by the China Association of Performing Arts to know what content falls under that umbrella, and according to the SCMP story, it ranges from politically sensitive speech and violence to people smoking or wearing bikinis.
The document is updated weekly, however, meaning content that might be acceptable one week could be censored the next, or vice versa.
To make this massive task of censoring content a little more manageable on its human moderators, Inke also employs algorithms and recognition software capable of filtering content into different risk categories.
The company sometimes dedicates just one human reviewer to watching streams considered “low-risk,” such as cooking shows, according to SCMP, while higher-risk streams receive closer scrutiny.
The idea of censoring streams of people smoking cigarettes or wearing bikinis might seem ridiculous to a Western audience.
However, if Inke’s combination of human and AI moderators is effective at flagging the content deemed objectionable in China, it’s worth considering what it’s doing that others, such as Facebook, aren’t. Are Inke’s algorithms better in some discernible way? Has it stumbled upon the optimum human moderator-to-user ratio?
You might not agree with the content China is censoring, but content moderation isn’t by default objectionable — even Facebook’s own execs believe the company should have prevented the horrific livestream of the Christchurch shooting from reaching its audience, for example.
So perhaps there’s something Facebook and others could learn from how Inke is managing the job of filtering out undesirable online content, even if we don’t agree with China’s definition of undesirable.
READ MORE: No smoking, no tattoos, no bikinis: inside China’s war to ‘clean up’ the internet [South China Morning Post]
More on censorship: China Is Censoring “Genetically Edited Babies” on Social Media
The post China Is Trying to Scrub Bikinis and Smoking From the Internet appeared first on Futurism.
See the original post:
- Bicoastal startup Kriya Therapeutics to grow gene therapy manufacturing in NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio tees up $125M IPO to push next-gen gene therapies - FierceBiotech - May 27th, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces IND Approval by the FDA for Hemophilia A Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Troubleshooting the Development of New Gene Therapies - Technology Networks - May 27th, 2020
- Philadelphia gene therapy company gets FDA designation that could be worth big money - Philadelphia Business Journal - May 27th, 2020
- Beacon Targeted Therapies Launches Its Latest Clinical Trial and Drug Database Solution - Beacon Gene Therapy - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2020
- Novartis' gene therapy approved in Europe, talks ongoing on price - BioPharma-Reporter.com - May 27th, 2020
- NOVASEP and LYSOGENE Announce their New Collaboration for Development and Production of GM1 Gangliosidosis Gene Therapy Product - Business Wire - May 27th, 2020
- BRIEF-Novasep And Lysogene To Partner On Gene Therapy Product - Reuters - May 27th, 2020
- Navigating Cell and Gene Therapy Development - BioPharma Dive - May 27th, 2020
- Ultimate fitness hack: Imagine being able to build muscles with a gene therapy - Genetic Literacy Project - May 27th, 2020
- Lab Mice Shed Fat and Build Muscle with Gene Therapy - The Great Courses Daily News - May 27th, 2020
- Evox Therapeutics Appoints Martin Andrews as Non-Executive Director - BioSpace - May 27th, 2020
- New Zolgensma 'inflection point' is here as Novartis snags EU nod for SMA gene therapy - FiercePharma - May 27th, 2020
- Gene therapy could help millions of ash trees fight deadly beetle Emerald Ash Borer - inews - May 27th, 2020
- Generation Bio Leads a Trio of Biotech Companies Aiming for the Nasdaq - Xconomy - May 27th, 2020
- European regulators accept FibroGen's anemia drug for review; Passage Bio's lead gene therapy gets more love from the FDA - Endpoints News - May 27th, 2020
- QPS Continues to Expand UPLC-HRMS Quantitation Capabilities to Support Gene Therapy and Protein Drug Development - PRNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Novartis wins conditional EU approval for gene therapy Zolgensma - Reuters - May 19th, 2020
- The Roller Coaster of Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - May 19th, 2020
- Gene therapy reduces fat and builds muscle in mice - BioNews - May 19th, 2020
- Forget ExerciseThese Mice Got Ripped With Gene Therapy - Singularity Hub - May 19th, 2020
- UPDATED: Pfizer gene therapy ups levels of dystrophin expression in Duchenne trial but another safety setback mars results - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Thermo Fisher to invest $180M in new gene therapy plant - BioPharma Dive - May 19th, 2020
- Beam Therapeutics Taking Novel Approach to Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Gene-Therapy Treatments for Tay-Sachs, Sickle Cell to Be Featured in Online Gathering - Barron's - May 19th, 2020
- Sarepta And Dyno Therapeutics Will Develop Next-Gen Gene Therapy Vectors - Contract Pharma - May 19th, 2020
- New gene therapy cuts fat and builds muscle with ease. But theres a catch - Digital Trends - May 19th, 2020
- New Gene Therapy Promises You Will Get Ripped Without Stepping in a Gym - Interesting Engineering - May 19th, 2020
- Merck KGaA adds to gene therapy manufacturing boom with 100M facility in California - Endpoints News - May 19th, 2020
- Japan's health insurance to cover 167 million gene therapy drug - The Japan Times - May 19th, 2020
- COVID 19 PANDEMIC: Gene Therapy Market Is Set To Experience Revolutionary Growth By 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 19th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics Presents Data at Annual Meeting of American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy Demonstrating Cells Mobilized with MGTA-145 in a... - May 19th, 2020
- Passage Bio Announces Expansion of Gene Therapy Collaboration with University of Pennsylvania - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Orgenesis sees 1Q revenue rocket driven by its Cell and Gene Therapy Biotech platform - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - May 11th, 2020
- Gene therapy for follistatin mitigates systemic metabolic inflammation and post-traumatic arthritis in high-fat dietinduced obesity - Science Advances - May 11th, 2020
- BioMarin broadens its gene therapy horizons with a new R&D alliance in rare cardio cases - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- BioLife Solutions to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Provide Business Update on May 14th, 2020 - Chinook Observer - May 11th, 2020
- Adverum soars on early gene therapy data; BerGenBio raises 45.4M on the heels of Covid-19 move - Endpoints News - May 11th, 2020
- Neurophth Therapeutics Announces Presentations at ASGCT and ARVO Annual Meetings - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- Genprex Enters Into Exclusive Worldwide Patent and Technology License Agreement for Combination of its TUSC2 Gene Therapy with Immunotherapies -... - May 11th, 2020
- Study suggests effective fat-reducing therapy - Tech Explorist - May 11th, 2020
- Senti Biosciences to Present on Gene Circuit-Based Therapies at the 2020 ASGCT Annual Meeting - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions and apceth Biopharma GmbH Enter into Strategic Clinical and Commercial Manufacturing Agreements with... - May 11th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics Announces Virtual Poster Presentations for FX201, an Intra-Articular Gene Therapy Candidate for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis,... - May 11th, 2020
- UPDATE Amicus Therapeutics Announces Upcoming Presentations at the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy 23rd Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- This Gene Is a Molecular "Knob" That Fine-tunes Our Cortex's Electrical Activity - Technology Networks - May 11th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Rare Disease Market 2020 Coronavirus (Covid-19) Business Impact 2026 Growth Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application,... - May 11th, 2020
- Can gene therapy help develop coronavirus vaccine? Researchers banking on this technology for breakthrough - MEAWW - May 11th, 2020
- A Tribute to Max Randell, Gene Therapy Pioneer - PLoS Blogs - April 27th, 2020
- Merck KGaA to spend $110M on new gene therapy facility in California - BioPharma Dive - April 27th, 2020
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Affinia Therapeutics Establish Multi-Year Collaboration to Discover and Develop Novel AAV Capsids for Genetic Therapies |... - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - Telangana Today - April 27th, 2020
- Regenxbio Is A Leader In Gene Therapies - A Case Where The Platform Is Worth More Than The Pipeline - Seeking Alpha - April 27th, 2020
- UK Startup to Manufacture Cell and Gene Therapies with... - Labiotech.eu - April 27th, 2020
- Sangamo- Early-Stage Progress in Gene Therapy - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Inclusive Comprehension 2020: Gene Therapy Market (Trending PDF) Addressing Structure, Scope, Potential, and Growth Prospects Till 2029 - Jewish Life... - April 27th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology to Report First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Host a Conference Call and Webcast on May 7, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - April 27th, 2020
- Lysogene S.A. (EPA:LYS): When Will It Breakeven? - Simply Wall St - April 27th, 2020
- Diabetes reversed in mice with genetically edited stem cells derived from patients - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - April 27th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable... - April 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact: Gene Therapy Market 2019 Business Insights,Top Companies,Growth, Market Size Global Market Share, Trends, Outlook, Opportunity and... - April 27th, 2020
- Gene Therapy For Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Glaucoma Could Be Successfully Treated With Gene Therapy - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Reversing diabetes with CRISPR and patient-derived stem cells - FierceBiotech - April 26th, 2020
- Glaucoma can be successfully treated with gene therapy - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - April 26th, 2020
- AskBio acquires BrainVectis to expand its gene therapy portfolio - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - April 26th, 2020
- 'We're really at a tipping point': COVID-19 brings research into other medical conditions to a grinding halt - CBC.ca - April 26th, 2020
- ThermoGenesis and ImmuneCyte Joint Venture Developing Several Convalescent Plasma and Antibody Therapeutic Approaches Against COVID-19, Featured on... - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market : Global Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Surfacing Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Frontotemporal Dementia With a GRN Mutation Gets Fast Track Status - Monthly Prescribing Reference - March 26th, 2020
- Redpin bags A round to advance Chantix-controlled gene therapies - FierceBiotech - March 26th, 2020
- Vycellix and Avectas Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Avectas and Vycellix Announce Collaboration to Advance Next-Generation Solutions for the Optimized Manufacture of Cell & Gene Therapies - BioSpace - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Codexis and Takeda partner on gene therapies for rare diseases - Pharmaceutical Technology - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Strengthens Leadership Team with the Appointment of Two Accomplished Life Science Executives - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Study reveals gene therapy may help in treating cardiac disease - The Siasat Daily - March 26th, 2020
- TCR therapy an attractive alternative to CAR T for immunotherapy - Drug Target Review - March 26th, 2020
- Genprex Bolsters Board of Directors, Appoints Three Biotechnology and Healthcare Industry Leaders - Insurance News Net - March 26th, 2020