WASHINGTON D.C., DC Jetpacks, surveillance, and a life expectancy of 100 years old. Those were just some of the predictions for 2020, made by past generations.
So which were on the right path, and which were way off the mark? WUSA9 looked into it.
This prediction was made in 1968 by a mathematician and scientist named DG Brennan. In that year, he predicted that anti-gravity belts would "revolutionize the tactics of land warfare."
In particular, Brennan believed Jetpacks and anti-gravity vehicles would become a normal tool in warfare. Clearly this hasn't been developed on a widespread basis.
Although a quick search of Youtube will show various videos of Jetpacks being tested. So perhaps, this technology isn't far from being used in war.
Here's one we all wish were true. Futurist Ray Kurzweil predicted in 1999 that life expectancy would rise to 100 years old by 2019.
Unfortunately, this has not come true. Globally the rate hovers just below 75-year-old, and in the United States, that number sits just below 80-years-old.
Kurzweil made another ominous prediction, writing that privacy would become a huge political and social issue in 2020. He predicted that every move we make would be tracked and "stored in a database somewhere."
This prediction has indeed come true in a lot of ways. Smartphones can track our exact location at any given moment. Every Google search and Facebook post is collected and analyzed, creating a digital footprint.
And this new technology has become even more apparent when looking at countries like China, where widespread surveillance programs have been initiated.
China - A Global Power:
Another prediction came from futurists Peter Schwartz and Peter Leyden, who wrote their prediction in a 1997 article, titled 'The Long Boom.'
"By 2020," they wrote. "The Chinese economy [will have] grown to be the largest in the world."
They proved correct that China would see massive economic growth. However, they were wrong that China would surpass the United States. Currently, China has the second-largest nominal GDP at $9 trillion. By comparison, the United States has a nominal GDP of over $21 trillion.
Boris' Rise To Power (Scary Accurate):
What's startling about this prediction is that Boris Johnson was just a journalist at the time, who had never held public office.
In 1994, The International Food Policy Research Institute made a prediction for 2020 as well, estimating the world population would reach 2020. That would mean a massive jump of 2.5 billion people in a quarter-century.
This prediction proved to be very close, as the most recent estimate by the United Nations puts the world population at 7.7 billion people.
That same U.N. report estimates that the population will continue rising, jumping by another 2 billion people by 2050.
Most experts would probably argue that this one has not panned out. In 1968, a political science professor at MIT named Ithiel de Sola Pool, made the following optimistic prediction:
"By the Year of 2018," he wrote. "Nationalism should be a waning force in the world.
Many would argue that the global attitude has in fact gone in the other direction. Whether it's the 'Brexit' fight in England, the 'America First' mentality in the United States, or the rise of populist strongmen in countries like China, the Philippines, and India, this Nationalist sentiment is on full display.
Here's one we all wish was true. In 1968, physicist Herman Kahn and futurist Anthony J. Weiner said that Americans would have 26-hour work-weeks by 2020.
In reality, Americans work on average 35 hours per week, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
Maybe there's a good chance for 2021?
RELATED: These are 7 of the most popular New Year's resolutions
RELATED: A look at the DMV's most-read crime stories of 2019
Download the brand new WUSA9 app here.
Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.
Read the original here:
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- The Laws of Physics May Break Down at the Edge of the Universe - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- Astronomers Warn That Our Sun Is Having a "Midlife Crisis" - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- This COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be Ready by September - Futurism - May 3rd, 2020
- We Are The New World: Global Conversation With Optimistic Futurists - Thrive Global - April 27th, 2020
- Automated Education This Grad Student Used a Neural Network to Write His Papers - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Night of the Comet NASA: Something Is Off About This Interstellar Comet - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk Says the Starlink Network Will Go Live in Six Months - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Be Doing Something Strange to Your Toes - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- This is What Air Travel Could Look Like After the Pandemic - Futurism - April 27th, 2020
- Terrifying Simulation Shows How Viruses Spread When You Cough - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The Earth is Standing Still During the Pandemic. Literally. - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The World's First Cyborgs: Humanity's Next Evolutionary Phase Is Here - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Here's What It Would Be Like to Drive on Different Planets - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- The Pandemic Stranded Them in the Worst Place: Antarctica - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Trump Threatens to Pull Funding for the World Health Organization - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- 'Tales from the Loop,' Amazon's sci-fi anthology, makes sense for our current alternative universe - theday.com - April 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Conspiracy Theorists Are Setting 5G Towers on Fire - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- A New Hole Is Forming in the Ozone Layer Over the Arctic - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Scientists Are Spying on Google Searches to Track the Coronavirus - Futurism - April 9th, 2020
- Post-lockdown world will be 'a new, different reality' expert - Rappler - April 9th, 2020
- Respect for the natural world - Opinion - The Hutchinson News - March 31st, 2020
- Its tough to imagine, but what will life after coronavirus look like? - BizTimes - Milwaukee Business News - March 31st, 2020
- Congress Must Pass the Living Artists Act - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- The Book List: Science Fiction - The Bagpipe - March 31st, 2020
- Now's the time for organizations to show their humanity - Tech Wire Asia - March 31st, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - March 15th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - March 15th, 2020
- How to Think Like a Futurist - MIT Technology Review - March 15th, 2020
- Does The Travel Industry Have A Future? - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- IGCF: What are the best practices in government communication? - Euronews - March 15th, 2020
- Bright-Red "Blood Snow" Is Falling From the Sky in Antarctica - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Here's a Glossary for the Ongoing Coronavirus Outbreak's Vocab - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Uber Tells Drivers to Stay Home If They Have the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Astronomers: Our Planet Might Have Another Moon, Except It's Tiny - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Whistleblower: US Gov May Have Helped Spread Coronavirus - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- Governments Shut Down the Internet Hundreds of Times in 2019 - Futurism - March 3rd, 2020
- A top Silicon Valley futurist on how AI, AR and VR will shape fashion's future - Vogue Business - February 1st, 2020
- The fashion futurist: how Vogue's wartime editor revolutionised women's lives - The Guardian - February 1st, 2020
- 'Futuring' can help us survive the climate crisis. And guess what? You're a futurist too - The Conversation AU - February 1st, 2020
- Scientists Want to Explore Ocean With "Cyborg Jellyfish" - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Google Says Its Chatbot Is Capable of Near-Human Conversation - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Smart Bandage Detects Infections, Auto-Releases Antibiotic - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- The Politics of Fast - Governing - February 1st, 2020
- Someone Hacked Dozens of United Nations Servers - Futurism - February 1st, 2020
- Brent Csutoras on the Evolution of Social Media, the Rise of SEJ & His Fascinating Journey [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal - January 30th, 2020
- Finding the sweet spot in the food conversation - RealAgriculture - January 30th, 2020
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Innovator and Futurist to Benefitfocus One Place 2020 - AiThority - January 19th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 19th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 19th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 19th, 2020
- How futurists from the past predicted life in 2020 - 9News - January 5th, 2020
- The Australian Wildfires Are So Bad You Can See Them From Space - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Proposed Sending Japanese Astronauts to the Moon - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Hints That a Cybertruck Is Headed to Mars - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Mysterious Swarms of Giant Drones Have Officials Baffled - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- China Quietly Confirms Birth of Third Gene-Edited Baby - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Hypersonic planes and robots: Futurist predicts what we can expect by end of decade - Daily Star - January 5th, 2020
- We live so fast I can't even finish this sent... - The Register - January 5th, 2020
- This Tiny Particle Accelerator Fits on a Microchip - Futurism - January 5th, 2020
- Brett King produces the future in Qatar - Euromoney magazine - December 18th, 2019
- How Farmers Can Rule the World With Technology - Successful Farming - December 18th, 2019
- Robot Bartender Developer Wants to Pay the Humans It Replaces - Futurism - December 18th, 2019
- Heres What Would Happen if Earth Collided With a Black Hole - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- This AI Decodes Your Brainwaves and Draws What You're Looking at - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- An Oral History Of Blade Runner's 2019 Los Angeles, Because The Future Has Arrived - laist.com - November 7th, 2019
- Scientist Rita J. King wears sparkly dress to NASA talk - TODAY - November 7th, 2019
- Scientists Discover New Class of Tiny Black Holes - Futurism - November 7th, 2019
- Iron man: 10 Things Fans Never Knew About The Mark 1 Armor | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 7th, 2019