Shirin Saeidi, assistant professor of political science serving as University Housing's Faculty in Residence for the north end of campus, will sponsor a series of talks this academic year addressing several social topics.
Saeidi planned a series of dialogues with on-campus residential students on topics that include vaccinations, woman's rights, sexual identity and what freedom means.
The first dialogue of the spring semester had Adam Blehm and Blake Hereth as guest speakers focusing on public health and compulsory vaccinations. Blehm is a doctoral student in philosophy and Hereth is an assistant professor of philosophy. They recently published a paper on the debate surrounding mandatory vaccination.
Students had the opportunity to participate in the discussion and interact with faculty members throughout the presentation.
"My favorite part of the Diversity Dialogue regarding the COVID-19 vaccination was when the differing arguments on mandatory vaccination were presented. Seeing the logic and information behind each side's opinion was rather helpful in formulating my own stance on the subject," said freshman psychology major, Andrew Ruegsegger.
"That's why I think the Diversity Dialogue sessions are so critical for the student community understanding the various reasons by which people arrive at their beliefs allows us to form our own educated, moderate and diverse opinions."
Ruegsegger encourages other students to join the conversation and benefit from the explored areas. Topics he would like to see in future sessionsinclude safety measures for women working in food delivery services, ridesharing, and other jobs where one-on-one interactions are required.
This series is open to students, faculty and staff. The Diversity Dialogues are a hybrid series where participants can join via Zoom or in-person at Morgan Hall room 108. Student participants also have the chance to win an Amazon gift card for their contribution to the discussion.
RSVPs to the Diversity Dialogue Series are done through Living Learning Communities' pages on HogSync.
Saeidi, organizer of the dialogue series, shares that "the purpose of the Diversity Dialogue is to introduce students to the various forms of inequality and discrimination that exists in our world, and how we can address them collectively."
She believes conversations about diversity and inclusion are crucial at this moment in time.
"It is urgent for our students to have access to leading scholars, activists and artists concerned with different aspects of US politics and society. Such conversations will facilitate progressive change and connect us better locally."
This is Saeidi's second semester as a Faculty in Residence and she continues to bring light to the current issues that contribute to the evolving dynamic of society.
During Fall 2020, the Diversity Dialogue Series hosted conversations about cultural competence, public discourse, becoming an ally in the fight against racism and the psycho-historical and socioeconomic development of "Latinx" individuals in the United States.
All events will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
About University Housing. University Housing is a department within the Division of Student Affairs serving a residential community of around 6,200 on-campus students. More than 200 students find employment opportunities with University Housing each year. We offer educational programs that support the success of students and services that help students focus on academics at the University of Arkansas. Living on campus starts with a housing contract.
About the Division of Student Affairs. The Division of Student Affairs supports students in pursuing knowledge, earning a degree, finding meaningful careers, exploring diversity, and connecting with the global community. We provide students housing, dining, health care resources, and create innovative programs that educate and inspire. We enhance the University of Arkansas experience and help students succeed, one student at a time.
See the original post:
- Opinion | No, Vaccine Mandates Arent an Attack on Freedom - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter on the University of Florida Situation - Reason - November 2nd, 2021
- Vaccination, Freedom and Responsibility - Coronavirus Coverage - State of the Planet - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom football rules 2nd half to beat Liberty, claim city title - lehighvalleylive.com - November 2nd, 2021
- 'Economic freedom' rankings are contrived, meaningless nonsense - The Real News Network - November 2nd, 2021
- Central Valley Right to Life group claims vaccine protection law prohibits freedom of speech - Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register - November 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Community Projects Communicate The Message Of Freedom - Bitcoin Magazine - November 2nd, 2021
- Investigative Journalist Roohollah Zam Tops November Ranking Of The One Free Press Coalitions 10 Most Urgent Press Freedom Cases - Forbes - November 2nd, 2021
- Stalin inaugurates exhibition on freedom struggle - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2021
- G-20 Needs a Freedom and Prosperity Agenda More Than Ever - Heritage.org - November 2nd, 2021
- When Jane Johnson jeopardized her freedom for the people who aided her to escape from slavery - Face2Face Africa - November 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Responsibility of Freedom | Opinion | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot - November 2nd, 2021
- Positive Vibes Only: Mayorkun Performs Liberating Track "Freedom" From His New Album 'Back In Office' - grammy.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Do vaccine mandates violate or support our freedom? Avoid anyone who thinks this question is easy - The Dallas Morning News - November 2nd, 2021
- Passing reveals pursuit of happiness, freedom and safety - District - November 2nd, 2021
- Freedom to Roam: The Rhythms Of Migration - Folk Radio UK - November 2nd, 2021
- Capitol Talk: Antifa; 'Religious Freedom', And Limits On Local Control - MTPR - February 20th, 2021
- John Mayall: The blues have given me musical freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 20th, 2021
- Greta comes out in support of Disha, says freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest non-negotiable - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Mosaic Announces Long-Term Partnership with Freedom Forever - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2021
- Creative freedom restricted by cloaking it in religion - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- Statutes of Liberty: Freedom of Information Act Requests are Free for Immigrants and U.S. Citizens - ARLnow - February 20th, 2021
- Woman who fought for racial equity as a Freedom Rider reflects on the past, gives outlook on the future - WLWT Cincinnati - February 20th, 2021
- Rescue horses move to Freedom to teach, provide therapy for people in need of rescue - Boothbay Register - February 20th, 2021
- Sudan: Forces of Freedom of Change refuses army appointments as governors - Middle East Monitor - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom Foods sees another CFO depart troubled Australian dairy business - just-food.com - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion | Give Fred Gray the Medal of Freedom, because no one deserves it more - alreporter.com - February 20th, 2021
- Biden Has No Time to Lose on Freedom of Navigation Operations Against China - Foreign Policy - February 20th, 2021
- The scars of solitary: Albert Woodfox on freedom after 44 years in a concrete cell - The Guardian - February 20th, 2021
- Washington Spirit owners, Freddy Adu, and more: Freedom Kicks - Black And Red United - February 20th, 2021
- Readers Write: Impeachment trial, freedom of speech, the cold weather - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 20th, 2021
- What the Trump administration meant for freedom of information requests - Columbia Journalism Review - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom and security: On social media platforms operating in India - The Hindu - February 20th, 2021
- 'You have to stay strong': 102-year-old freedom fighter's message to Disha Ravi - Hindustan Times - February 20th, 2021
- Freedom | Definition of Freedom at Dictionary.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom - Wikipedia - December 3rd, 2020
- After 400 Years, The Reason People Come To America Is Still ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Medicare Advantage Plans for Florida at Freedom Health ... - December 3rd, 2020
- Freedom of Religion or Belief club formed at BYU - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom 76 At Grandview Will Be Live On FloRacing - FloRacing - September 18th, 2020
- Aviation Analysis: Revival of Fifth Freedom Flights? - Sam Chui - September 18th, 2020
- Trump Attacks The 1619 Project: U.S. Wasnt Founded On Slavery And Oppression, It Was Freedom - Moguldom - September 18th, 2020
- PAUL TIYAMBE ZELEZA - Beyond Political Freedom to Inclusive Wealth Creation and Self-Reliance - The Elephant - September 18th, 2020
- Backyard pool will bring joy and freedom to Niagara Falls boy - StCatharinesStandard.ca - September 18th, 2020
- Parson James Talks New Single, Lockdown, and Artistic Freedom - vmagazine.com - September 18th, 2020
- Private Railways Will Have Freedom To Set Their Own Fares: Government - NDTV - September 18th, 2020
- McCarthy focused on election, not Freedom Caucus push to remove Pelosi - Roll Call - September 18th, 2020
- Julian Assange, and Press Freedom, on Trial in London - Democracy Now! - September 18th, 2020
- Heres How to Retire at 45 with Financial Freedom - Investment U - September 18th, 2020
- Freedom and Madison off to a 'super' school year - Conway Daily Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom and Independence group formed to combat Soviet terror founded 75 years ago today - The First News - September 2nd, 2020
- COMMENTARY: Your freedom hinges on freedom of speech - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - September 2nd, 2020
- Will it be Freedom Hilly cross country course? - The Macomb Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- Joliet Township Sued Under The Freedom of Information Act; Unauthorized Fees - Edgar County Watchdogs - September 2nd, 2020
- OPINION/LETTER: Gun range noise is the 'sound of freedom' - Cape Cod Times - September 2nd, 2020
- What was the Red Sox best trade-deadline acquisition? Freedom from luxury-tax penalties - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- Fortify Your Home on the Cheap, Part 2 - America's 1st Freedom - September 2nd, 2020
- Sen. Gardner touts vaccine progress, pandemic legislation at Steamboat Institute's Freedom Conference in Beaver Creek - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Zombies of the Corn' haunted attraction set for 8th season of frightful fun in Freedom - TribLIVE - September 2nd, 2020
- President Armen Sarkissian: Artsakh Was the Spark Which Lit the Fire of Freedom - Armenian News by MassisPost - September 2nd, 2020
- One Database to Rule Them All: The Invisible Content Cartel that Undermines the Freedom of Expression Online - EFF - September 2nd, 2020
- Personal freedom is still limited in most of the Islamic world - The Economist - September 2nd, 2020
- 'Mental Freedom' part two - The River Reporter - September 2nd, 2020
- Tuesday Freedom Kicks: Gelmin Rivas to D.C. United, continued fallout at Real Salt Lake, and more - Black And Red United - September 2nd, 2020
- Freedom Means Something Different to Liberals and Conservatives. Heres How the Definition SplitAnd Why That Still Matters - TIME - August 31st, 2020
- Trademark Parody and Freedom of Speech in the U.S. - JD Supra - August 31st, 2020
- D.C., Loudoun lose, Weston to Juve done & more: Freedom Kicks for 8/31/20 - Black And Red United - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: The real meaning of freedom - The Bakersfield Californian - August 31st, 2020
- Bass: Exercising freedom to be exposed to COVID-19 - Berkshire Eagle - August 31st, 2020
- Dean Cain: NYC becoming land of the flee as people leave in search of more freedom - Fox News - August 31st, 2020
- In Conversation: Georgia Anne Muldrow on Finding Freedom as Jyoti - FLOOD Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Watershed moment for freedom of speech: Prashant Bhushan on SC verdict. Read full statement here - Hindustan Times - August 31st, 2020
- Trumps ban of TikTok and WeChat would reduce Americans freedom of speech and harm foreign investment in the U.S. - MarketWatch - August 31st, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: It's All About Freedom - Centralia Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- CLARK B. HALL: Rare images record freedom in the making - starexponent.com - August 31st, 2020
- Tantrum Or Freedom Of Expression Over Face Masks? - wcrz.com - August 31st, 2020
- This is my freedom of speech - Newnan Times-Herald - August 31st, 2020
- There are limits to freedom - Mount Airy News - August 31st, 2020
- Freedom in the Muslim World - Cato Institute - August 31st, 2020
- Shevar Perry to Open Solo Exhibit Moments of Freedom August 24th, 2020 - Suburban Journals - August 31st, 2020