In a recent article Evolution and artificial intelligence face the same basic problem, Eric Holloway addressed the conundrum faced by artificial intelligence theorists: How can a random process with no insight into the environment increase information about that environment within evolving DNA sequences and/or artificial intelligence programs. By what mechanism can randomness know anything? Dr. Holloways challenge goes to the heart of the problem with the materialist worldview regarding origins, evolution, and ultimately intelligence.
Imagine you knew absolutely nothing about roller skates. Then you awoke this morning to find your ankles and feet permanently installed into roller skates. Instantly, everything you understood about walking and running is worthless.
Getting onto your feet at all is risky. Standing is your second awful challenge. To move, you cant walk; you must glide. To turn is a mysterious twist-and-lean maneuver. Stopping means grabbing onto something stationary or just falling down a lot. Dont even think about moving backward. When you finally gain some skating skills through endless struggles, you find skates are great for speed on paved surfaces. But they are slow and dangerously ill-suited for gravel, grassy terrain, or staircases. You will certainly miss your feet in their natural state.
This thought experiment captures the fundamental distinction between biological hardware and biological software. We have hardware for locomotion: ankles and feet. We need the know-how, the methods, the sequence of commands the software to operate that hardware. Feet dont walk us, nor do they walk independently of us. Rather, we walk using feet. When the hardware changes, for example, if feet were to become roller skates, the software must change radically too.
If you dont figure out how to move around on skates instead of feet, your chances of surviving and thriving greatly diminish. Having to think specifically about every step or glide would drain your energy, so you need to develop the sort of muscle memory with skates as you previously had with feet.
Bottom line: You must change your software to operate new or modified hardware. In the same way, when an animals biological hardware changes, that animals operating software must also change to match the hardware changes.
Somehow, when we think about evolution, the problem of hardwaresoftware coordination is ignored. Take, for example, the neo-Darwinian claim that modern birds evolved from reptile-like dinosaurs. Discussions of dinosaur-to-bird evolution talk about the hardware changes: scales became feathers, legs became wings, cold-blooded (exothermic) physiology became warm-blooded (endothermic) physiology, tooth-filled mouths became beaks, and so on. All of these monumental changes in hardware present enormous operational challenges that incremental mutations somehow solved over millions of years. But totally missing is any account of the evolution of the necessary software.
Assume for the moment that unguided mutation could actually modify a reptile and install the wing apparatus, including all the muscles and feathers. For the early stubby proto-wing to give the modified reptile the survival advantage necessary to win in natural selection, the reptile must know how to use the proto-wing. A reptile with proto-wings instead of legs is like a human with roller skates instead of feet. The reptile must have the biological software to operate the proto-wings successfully. Whatever software the legged reptile had, it wont operate a proto-wing. The stubby-winged reptile is worse off than his legged brothers and sisters, not better, and wont win the natural selection prize.
So lets generously give a reptile a full set of beautiful wings with feathers and the powerful muscles needed. We have doomed the poor creature. She wakes up to the world, clueless about how to use the wings. She cant walk like her legged siblings. She cant fly because she lacks the software, in the sense of neurological adaptations, to launch, flap, soar, glide, turn, and land.
Operating feet or skates, legs or wings, is algorithmic. Robert Marks, Michael Egnor, and Winston Ewert have all argued that the mind is distinct from the brain, at least in humans, and that consciousness does not arise in the brain alone. William Dembski has suggested that consciousness could potentially be the result of material features that are intelligently designed. It is a fair question whether consciousness, human reason, and subjective preferences are algorithmic or non-algorithmic. But those elements of mind function well above walking or even flying in terms of complexity or comprehensibility; the ordinary operations of movement are algorithmic because they can be programmed into computers.
When walking or skating, we develop muscle memory. Our brains and nervous systems internalize the procedures for these tasks. We dont think about them, we just engage them. The toddler toddles around looking for the kitten he wants to play with and finds it prudently perched on a ledge out of arms reach. The toddler doesnt think about having to walk while trying to carry out that intention. Doubtless, reptiles dont think about walking, and birds dont think about flying. They just expect the subroutines in their brains to carry out the tasks.
According to the materialist view, every feature of life is explainable using cause-and-effect physics and chemistry. Neo-Darwinism (the theory that natural selection acting on random mutation builds complex, functional structures) still seems to be the dominant materialist account of the existence of animal species. To properly claim that throne, however, neo-Darwinism must explain not only how hardware features mutated into existence but also how the biological operating software came into existence and could then be modified successfully in dramatic ways.
Walking and flying are two animal functions that are often called behaviors. I scoured the Encyclopedia of Evolution (2002) a few years ago but found no substantive explanation for the origins and implementation of behaviors.
Computer systems within robots can engage in behaviors and we can see and modify the software code that was designed for the purpose. Ive been reading articles about dinosaur-bird evolution, but none have described where and how the walking and flying software is encoded and stored in the animals bodies or brains. No article Ive seen reveals the mechanism for modifying behavioral software in animals, let alone how the algorithm for walking in two dimensions can be modified by undirected mutation to become the algorithm for flying in three dimensions.
Materialist thinkers contend that every feature of brain, mind, and consciousness arose via cause-effect physics and chemistry accounted for by neo-Darwinism. In that case, they first need to explain how biological software is created and stored in animals, and then how such software can be mutated by accident just in time to operate new biological hardware. Solve those problems first, before claiming human consciousness is mere biochemistry.
Note: See also the detailed presentation about bird flight prepared by Professor Gary Ritchison, Eastern Kentucky University here and here.
Figure 1: Roller skates is by Ryan McGuire at Pixabay.
Figure 2: Foot by HeelsandFeet is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Figure 3: Feathered Dinosaur: File:Harpymimus steveoc.jpg by Steveoc 86 is licensed under CC BY 2.5
Figure 4: Archaeopteryx closer to a bird by Luna04 at French Wikipedia is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
You may also enjoy: Evolution and artificial intelligence face the same basic problem. Think of the word ladder game, where we transform one word into another by changing only one letter at a time. (Eric Holloway)
- Woke Comes Back to Bite the Darwinists and They Deserve It - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - January 11th, 2022
- Confusing Artificial Selection with Darwinism - Discovery Institute - January 11th, 2022
- Is Darwinism a Theory in Crisis? - Discovery Institute - October 20th, 2021
- DNA Energy Code: Survival of the Fittest Phenomenon Is Only Part of the Evolution Equation - SciTechDaily - February 20th, 2021
- Remembering Tom Bethell: Wordsmith of Courage and Controversy - KMJ Now - February 20th, 2021
- A True Portrait of Tom Bethell - Discovery Institute - February 20th, 2021
- Iconoclast: Farewell to Tom Bethell - Discovery Institute - February 20th, 2021
- What Is Mutual Aid? | How to Get Involved in the Community Movement - MarieClaire.com - February 20th, 2021
- One People, One House: The truth about race IS there is no race - masslive.com - February 20th, 2021
- Darwin's theory of evolution got us thinking about our understanding of God, says Bharat Jhunjhunwala - Free Press Journal - February 11th, 2021
- Darwin and Race: Three Strikes, He's Out - Discovery Institute - February 11th, 2021
- DigiPlus Conclave: Optimism and imagination are key approaches for dealing with technology - ETBrandEquity.com - February 11th, 2021
- Jonathan Wells: Scientific Revolutions and Counter-Revolutions - Discovery Institute - February 11th, 2021
- Past and prologue: Engaging with our history | Columnists | eastoregonian.com - East Oregonian - February 11th, 2021
- Excerpt: Darwinism and Design - Discovery Institute - December 5th, 2020
- Darwin's Finches: Galpagos Islands as an Evolutionary Model - Discovery Institute - December 5th, 2020
- Agency Darwinism: Will Covid-19 force the agency world to drag itself into the future? - The Drum - September 8th, 2020
- Alfred Russel Wallace: Shedding Light on Darwin's Shadow - Discovery Institute - September 8th, 2020
- Darwinism Paved the Way to Our Perilous Cultural Moment - Discovery Institute - August 11th, 2020
- Ignoring the Obvious: Convergent Evolution in Strickberger's Evolution - Discovery Institute - August 10th, 2020
- Darwinism - Wikipedia - August 6th, 2020
- Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica - August 6th, 2020
- An Evolution Definition of Darwinism - ThoughtCo - August 6th, 2020
- Social Darwinism - HISTORY - August 6th, 2020
- Darwinism 2048 | Addicting Games - August 6th, 2020
- How Darwin Shaped the Young Joseph Stalin - Discovery Institute - July 27th, 2020
- social Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica - July 21st, 2020
- Darwinism Would Fare Poorly Against Pandemics - Discovery Institute - July 11th, 2020
- On "Darwinism" - Scientific American Blog Network - June 9th, 2020
- Darwinism Quotes (148 quotes) - Goodreads - June 9th, 2020
- Darwinism in full play as the pandemic rages - Deccan Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Behe Vindicated Again: Sherpas Climb Everest Easier, Because Darwin Devolves - Discovery Institute - June 1st, 2020
- 52 ideas that changed the world - 49. Ecology - The Week (UK) - June 1st, 2020
- Sickle Cell, Darwinism, and COVID-19: Is My Life Worth Less Than... - Sickle Cell Anemia News - April 27th, 2020
- What Is Darwinism? - ThoughtCo - April 24th, 2020
- 'Kiss the Son, lest He be angry' | Columns - Weatherford Democrat - April 12th, 2020
- Darwinism: Survival without Purpose | The Institute for ... - April 2nd, 2020
- As Netanyahu and Gantz prepare for unity, social Darwinism is at the gates - Haaretz - April 2nd, 2020
- Culling the old & weak: Eugenics and social Darwinism rear their ugly heads in the Covid-19 pandemic - RT - April 2nd, 2020
- How Emily Dickinson Wrestled with Darwinism - JSTOR Daily - March 21st, 2020
- VIDEO: The Unholy Trinity Atheism, Feminism and Darwinism - 5Pillars - March 9th, 2020
- Was Darwin wrong about 'survival of the fittest'? Collaboration may be just as natural as competition - Genetic Literacy Project - January 30th, 2020
- Darwin on Trial As Fresh and Relevant as Ever - Discovery Institute - November 8th, 2019
- Your Witness, Mr. Johnson: A Retrospective Review of Darwin on Trial - Discovery Institute - November 8th, 2019
- Bible revelation: Richard Dawkins reveals Charles Darwin theory for Noahs Ark - Express.co.uk - October 16th, 2019
- Pop Social Darwinism in Contemporary American Capitalist Society: the Marketization of Che as Individualist Symbol - CounterPunch - October 8th, 2019
- Darwinism | biology | Britannica.com - April 20th, 2019
- Darwinism - New World Encyclopedia - April 20th, 2019
- An Evolution Definition of Darwinism - thoughtco.com - April 20th, 2019
- Social Darwinism - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- social Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica.com - March 6th, 2019
- Urban Dictionary: Darwinism - March 6th, 2019
- Darwinism - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - December 27th, 2018
- Challenge B Origins Six More Summers - October 5th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - AllAboutScience.org - August 24th, 2018
- Pseudo-scientific racism and Social Darwinism | South ... - August 24th, 2018
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and ... - August 19th, 2018
- Challenge B Origins | Six More Summers - July 2nd, 2018
- Neo-Darwinism - Wikipedia - June 23rd, 2018
- Social Darwinism: The Theory of Evolution Applied to Human ... - June 8th, 2018
- Digital Darwinism (9780749482282) - Kogan Page - May 21st, 2018
- Nazi racial ideology was religious, creationist and ... - May 21st, 2018
- Marketing Darwinism | by Paul Dunay - May 8th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - Science - AllAboutScience.org - April 24th, 2018
- Digital Darwinism: How Disruptive Technology Is Changing ... - April 24th, 2018
- Social Darwinism: The Theory of Evolution Applied to Human Society - April 10th, 2018
- Darwin's Influence on Ruthless Laissez Faire Capitalism - March 26th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - March 22nd, 2018
- The Institute for Creation Research - March 22nd, 2018
- The Royal Society's Evolution Meeting: James MacAllister ... - March 22nd, 2018
- Darwinism: Survival without Purpose - The Institute for ... - March 19th, 2018
- How Darwinism Corrodes Morality: Darwinism, Immorality ... - March 16th, 2018
- Economic Darwinism | On the origin of crises by unnatural ... - March 16th, 2018
- The Imminent Death of Darwinism and the Rise of ... - February 24th, 2018
- FitzRoy, Captain of the Beagle, Fierce Critic of Darwinism - February 24th, 2018
- The eclipse of Darwinism - Wikipedia - January 26th, 2018
- Modern synthesis - Wikipedia - August 25th, 2017
- The Effect of Darwinism on Morality and Christianity | The ... - August 25th, 2017
- Darwinism and the Nazi race Holocaust - creation.com - August 25th, 2017
- 'Radical' new biography of Darwin is unreliable and inaccurate - New Scientist - August 25th, 2017