The blasting sounds of cannons and muskets exploding in the distance rang out as the distinct smell of burning gunpowder permeated the landscape. Unaware of what was hiding behind the trees, British soldiers marched in unison down the tree-lined dirt road. Hiding in the forest were patriots, farmers and common men both young and old holding rifles, swords, axes and rustic farm equipment. As their hearts pounded and their shallow, rapid breaths created small clouds of fog in the cold morning air, they stood silently. They stood as free men, free men willing to die rather than merely exist under the shackles of tyranny. Against all odds, they were willing to stand up to perhaps the most powerful army in the history of the world to build a nation of their own ... and what a nation they built.
244 years later
At the suggestion of Siri, my iPhone alarm woke me up a little early on my day off. I slowly arose from my adjustable bed and stumbled to the kitchen to make a perfect cup of pick-me-up with my instant coffee maker. After filling my stomach with some leftovers from my wonderful wifes cooking, I began rummaging through my overflowing closet to pick out something to wear. As I shuffled through my shirts, I suddenly came across the Trump sweatshirt that I had worn to a rally a couple of weeks before.
A little apprehensive to wear it in the public square, the blood of my forefathers began to boil through my veins as I remembered the Democrats scheme to remove President Donald Trump from office and render my vote meaningless. Defiantly, I threw on the sweatshirt, jumped in my Jeep and headed out to do some last-minute Christmas shopping.
Driving to my destination, I began to wonder, Why the apprehension? Im an outspoken Trump supporter !q why do I feel any hesitation at all about advertising it on a sweatshirt in public?
The answer came quickly. People with loud voices on large media and social media !q stages are trying to label this president and his supporters as something that we are not. They call us racists; they call us bigots, sexists, uneducated and hate-mongers full of incoherent rage.
None of this is true.
I was raised to believe we should love everyone at a human level regardless of ethnicity, religion or political persuasion. That every human being should be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of disability or social status. Our culture has produced this massive lie that somehow disagreement equals hate.
Maybe thats a big part of the political and social chasm that exists today. The truth is I can disagree with aspects of your life, with your beliefs, with your decisions and still love and respect you as a fellow human being.
Why are we silent?
As I arrived at my first destination and maneuvered through the busy aisles, I began to observe peoples faces as they spotted my sweatshirt. Some people smiled and nodded; some couldnt hide their disdain, while a few actually whispered, Nice sweatshirt. A woman at a register lowered her voice and spoke quietly but vehemently of her disdain for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and described the impeachment as a total travesty.
In the next store, the man at the checkout looked quickly over his right shoulder before pointing at my sweatshirt and giving me a silent thumbs-up.
Driving home, I tried to sort it all out. Why are people afraid to express themselves with their voices at normal volume? Why the secrecy?
Maybe living in the most comfortable time in the most prosperous place in human history has made us forget about how all of this came to be. Have we forgotten the brave men and women who were willing to sacrifice everything to give us this nation? Has our comfort somehow caused us to bow to mischaracterizations and lies in order to avoid any form of confrontation? Do we lack the courage to speak truth regardless of the risk of offending others? Have we ever second-guessed saying the words Merry Christmas to a stranger? Does the fear of being falsely labeled cause us to lower our voices to a whisper?
Success! An email has been sent with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Hasnt the incredible courage of common men standing up to the mighty British Empire for freedoms sake afforded us the right (at the very least) to wear whatever sweatshirt we want? To have our say?
This quote from the author G. Michael Hopf has stayed with me: Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.
The late, great Ronald Reagan said it perhaps better than anyone: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnt pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our childrens children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
So if you ever wear a Trump sweatshirt out in public and you suddenly hear someone yell from across the aisle, Hey buddy! Nice sweatshirt! that will probably be me.
God bless and merry Christmas.
Charles Stouff owns A+PC, a computer repair company in Manor Township. Hes also a former freelance cartoonist.
- Freedom is never defined as mob rule | Opinion - nj.com - May 19th, 2020
- American freedom was tug-of-war from the start - York Dispatch - May 19th, 2020
- Finding the balance between safety and freedom in the shadow of COVID-19 - VentureBeat - May 19th, 2020
- In time of quarantine, we must resist Grand Inquisitors view of freedom - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom Does Not Mean Being on the Loose - Psychiatric Times - May 19th, 2020
- The van gives me such freedom: Custom conversion gives Eugene woman wheels on which to roam - The Register-Guard - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom is Never Free - The Hudson Reporter - May 19th, 2020
- Germany's flag burning ban is a threat to freedom of expression - Spectator.co.uk - May 19th, 2020
- What will we do with the new freedom to shop and dine? - cleveland.com - May 19th, 2020
- What does freedom mean in this moment? - The Irish Times - May 19th, 2020
- Event captures memories of Freedom Riders' heroic journey between Anniston and Birmingham - Bham Now - May 19th, 2020
- Are Contact Tracing Apps the Key to Lockdown Freedom? - Redbrick - May 19th, 2020
- Hundreds expected to gather for local Faith & Freedom Rally - KDRV - May 19th, 2020
- Freedom of information laws 'have failed to keep pace with public services' - Aberdeen Evening Express - May 19th, 2020
- Captain Tom Moore receives Freedom award during City of London's first 'virtual' ceremony - FE News - May 11th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's roadmap to ease lockdown will start with more freedom to exercise and back-to-work moves from Wednesday - Telegraph.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- God alone is the source of liberty and freedom - Akron Beacon Journal - May 11th, 2020
- 'Deadly Dictatorship': How Rodrigo Duterte Has Attacked Freedom of the Media in Latest Closure of Main Broadcaster - The National Interest - May 11th, 2020
- Conjure Women is a tale of slavery and its aftermath - The Economist - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Haven Emergency Shelter and Transitional Living Home - - KUSI - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Festival events postponed to 2021, firework show will be held - Deseret News - May 11th, 2020
- Granite State confined at home find freedom and calm in the garden - The Union Leader - May 11th, 2020
- MSNBC contributor: Americans 'freedom-obsessed' to point 'we're blind to other types of threats' | TheHill - The Hill - May 11th, 2020
- Faith and freedom of choice are key ingredients for parenting - The New Indian Express - May 11th, 2020
- Just after Elon Musk denounced coronavirus lockdowns as infringements of freedom, research shows Britons are too scared to leave their homes anyway -... - May 11th, 2020
- Another Freedom Square resident has died of COVID-19 in Pinellas - Tampa Bay Times - May 11th, 2020
- Celebrating freedom in the same garden 75 years on - Jersey Evening Post - May 11th, 2020
- Freedom Is An Issue That Stirs Voters - America's 1st Freedom - May 11th, 2020
- How You Can Advance the Cause of Reason and Freedom - New Ideal - May 11th, 2020
- As Spaniards got their first real taste of freedom this weekend, hundreds of them got arrested and thousands were fined - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown phase one freedoms in Spains holiday island Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2020
- Book Review: America, Guns, and Freedom - Accuracy in Academia - April 27th, 2020
- Accountability goes hand-in-hand with personal freedom, especially during adversity - Green Bay Press Gazette - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Freedom & rallies to reopen - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- From The Editor: Barriers to Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom binds us all. Today is all about the greater good - News24 - April 27th, 2020
- Watchdog: Pandemic worsening threat to global media freedom - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2020
- Theodore Gaffney, who photographed the Freedom Riders as they protested segregation, dies of Covid-19 complications - CNN - April 27th, 2020
- This Week in Technology + Press Freedom: April 26, 2020 - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - April 27th, 2020
- 15:32 Armenia Ombudsman on freedom of expression in the country - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - April 27th, 2020
- Protesting for the Freedom to Catch the Coronavirus - The New York Times - April 27th, 2020
- From lions to lambs: Covid-19 reveals supposedly freedom-loving British to be anything but, as we happily clap away our liberty - RT - April 27th, 2020
- Outrage as thousands abuse guidelines on first day of freedom - The Leader Newspaper Online - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom, the first casualty in Covid-19 war - Free Malaysia Today - April 27th, 2020
- Hazel C. Boone of Freedom Twp., OH - The Weekly Villager - April 27th, 2020
- Freedom Day: We have a way to go to be truly free - Daily Maverick - April 27th, 2020
- Whither freedom? - The News International - April 27th, 2020
- The rising cost of religious freedom in Vietnam | TheHill - The Hill - April 27th, 2020
- Calls for NHS workers to receive the Freedom of the Borough for their tireless bravery - Wrexham.com - April 27th, 2020
- Passover, Freedom and the Coronavirus | Clifford Rieders - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Shaw warns that Freedom Mobile isn't adding as many customers as planned due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - April 11th, 2020
- America Must Prove the Future Is Freedom - American Greatness - April 11th, 2020
- Israelis mark Passover, a celebration of freedom, in virtual isolation - Reuters - April 11th, 2020
- Eric Johnson on Breaking Patterns to Play with More Freedom - Premier Guitar - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom for man who killed brother in 1996 in argument over smoking - SILive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Whitmer issues order allowing delayed in-person processing of Freedom of Information Act requests - MLive.com - April 11th, 2020
- Wife of imprisoned former congressman cites COVID-19 risk in plea to Trump for husband's freedom | TheHill - The Hill - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom From Facebook Expands To Take On Google - Oakland News Now - April 11th, 2020
- Freedom in the time of COVID-19 - The New Indian Express - April 11th, 2020
- Dispute in Ireland over academic freedom and internationalization - Inside Higher Ed - April 11th, 2020
- Married With Kids: Freedom in the age of the coronavirus - Canadian Jewish News - April 11th, 2020
- 30 Years of Freedom: The Opposition Roundtable Laying the Groundwork for Democratic Hungary - Budapest Business Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The cost to freedom in the war against COVID-19 - Pursuit - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus has exposed the myth of British exceptionalism - The Guardian - April 11th, 2020
- Jennifer Kohan of Fellowship Freedom Plans selected as Top Director of the Year by the International Association of Top Professionals - TAPinto.net - March 4th, 2020
- Schools must earn the freedom to make decisions, says Premier - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Supporting freedom; part of the package; end death penalty - NWAOnline - March 4th, 2020
- Darmanovi on Freedom of Religion Act: No need for international arbitrage in Montenegro - European Western Balkans - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom Solar: record profits and growth in Texas residential and commercial PV - pv magazine USA - March 4th, 2020
- How Some Union Bosses Menace American Workers' Freedom - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- Ask a North Korean: can money buy freedom in the DPRK? - NK News - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom in the World 2020: Armenia and Artsakh rated as 'partly free' - - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom of movement could be retained in Scotland post-Brexit - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- The Reverse Freedom Rides And Their Long Aftermath : Code Switch - NPR - March 4th, 2020
- Freedom boys hoops clips No. 1 seed Allen, is 1 win away from ending 44-year drought - lehighvalleylive.com - March 4th, 2020
- A Tweet Shows How Scared Gun-Control Activists are of Women and Minorities Enjoying Their Freedom - America's 1st Freedom - March 4th, 2020
- Sophie and Hans Scholl died resisting the Nazis. Let's not take freedom for granted - TheArticle - March 4th, 2020
- Tacky's Revolt review: Britain, Jamaica, slavery and an early fight for freedom - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- These Are the 10 'Most Urgent' Threats to Press Freedom in March 2020 - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Submariners from HMS Vengeance and Bury sea cadets exercise Freedom of Bury St Edmunds with parade in town centre | Latest Suffolk and Essex News -... - March 4th, 2020