From your bong to your broomstick.
Cannabis has been included in magical, religious, and spiritual rites for millennia, from Hindu sadhus who use cannabis as a prayer to Lord Shiva to Coptic Christians who burned it on altars as a devotional offering. Witches and warlocks, too, have had a long history with this helper, utilizing it for everything from medical remedies to summoning spirits. Cannabis and hemp were both staples in folk traditions. In his 1653 Complete Herbal, author Nicholas Culpeper wrote of the plant: This is so well known to every good housewife in the country, that I shall not need to write any description of it.
Some classic uses for cannabis were in spells and rites dedicated to healing, love, money drawing, visions, and meditation. Lovestruck witches would wander out under the midsummer full moon to sprinkle hemp seeds while circling a church nine times in hopes of seeing their true love(s). Witches attempting to see into the future would burn an incense made of cannabis, mugwort, coltsfoot, and angelica in front of a magic mirror, watching for signs in the reflection of the glass.
Perhaps the most infamous usage of cannabis in magic is its inclusion in the famed Witchs Flying Ointment. Blended with other mind-altering substances like opium poppies, morning glories, datura, belladonna, and nightshade and mixed with butter or lard, witches would smear it on their broomsticks and ride them, flying off in ecstatic, orgasmic bliss. Modern witches can replicate this by blending cannabis with small amounts of other entheogens like ayahuasca, cyanescens (magic mushrooms), and of course poppies. For an entirely legal version, cunning folks can create a weed blend with blue lotus, wild asparagus root, and mugwort. Make a tincture or decoction from your herbal blend and mix it with coconut oil for a bewitching lube to help you open up and push into the Universe with lust and love.
But you can also turn your cannabis use into a magical act. Do you like to work with crystals? The next time youre having a puff while studying sacred texts or reading tarot, try smoking a sativa that enhances concentration through a pipe made of lapis lazuli, a stone known for facilitating intellectual activity, augmenting learning, and improving memory. You can also keep stones with your weed, or use fruit or vegetables with magical connotations as pipes: apples for love spells, cucumbers before attempting dream or astral work, and potatoes and other root veggies for grounding energy after a ritual.
For an abundance spell, mix a little ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, or thyme, basil, and mint, into fresh water and carefully paint sigils, a wish, or words of power onto a hemp rolling paper and let it dry. Roll up a joint and smoke it to release the energy into the Universe. Alternately, make some edibles with these spice blends, like cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies. Dont forget to press a magical symbol into the top of the cookie.
Last but not least, smoking from a bong or bubbler is a special way for weed witches to commune with all the elements: Earth is represented by cannabis, fire is the fire you light your bowl with, air is your breath, and water is in the bottom of the bong. Make sure you charge your bong water, too, by thinking some good vibes at it.
Thanks to The Fat Feminist Witch Blog for serving as a reference for this piece.
- Isn't it high time we decriminalised the use of psychedelics? - Political Analysis South Africa - April 2nd, 2020
- In Chicago, Legal Pot Could be Just the Beginning. Are Mushrooms Next? - WTTW News - February 12th, 2020
- The Joys of Growing Older - Cannabis Now - February 12th, 2020
- Dazzling Film Fantastic Fungi Shows The Magic Of Mushrooms With An Expanding Theatrical Release - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Cleansing the Doors of Perception - The Good Men Project - October 16th, 2019
- Guide - Wikipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Entheogens - PsychonautWiki - May 1st, 2019
- Entheogens & Existential Intelligence: The Use of Plant ... - January 5th, 2019
- Entheogens and Psychedelics including Ayahuasca, LSD, Peyote ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Erowid Psychoactive Vaults : Term Definitions - November 22nd, 2018
- Entheogens and the Future of Religion: Robert Forte ... - September 25th, 2018
- Entheogens - The SpiritWiki - September 21st, 2018
- Plants - Tribe of the Sun - August 20th, 2018
- Entheogens | Gornahoor - August 3rd, 2018
- Vex - Destinypedia, the Destiny encyclopedia - August 3rd, 2018
- Entheogen - PsychonautWiki - July 22nd, 2018
- Entheogens | Drug War Facts - April 5th, 2018
- European Entheogens: Folk Medicine and Magical Aids ... - March 9th, 2018
- Entheogens today Ethnobotanical 101 - March 9th, 2018
- Yoga and Entheogens (aka Drugs) Do They Mix ... - March 9th, 2018
- Natural vs Synthetic Drugs & Entheogens | Animam Recro - February 24th, 2018
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked religious movements - The Oakland Press - August 25th, 2017
- Entheogens: Whats in a Name? The Untold History of ... - August 21st, 2017
- Outside the Box - HuffPost - August 12th, 2017
- 'Summer of Love' shaped American lives, spiritual expression - Houston Chronicle - July 29th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Independent - July 24th, 2017
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked today's religious movements - Religion News Service - July 22nd, 2017
- The Poisoner: Pharmakos and Veneficus-Poisoner's Apothecary - Patheos (blog) - July 18th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - Metro Newspaper UK - July 7th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Conversation UK - July 6th, 2017
- The Entheogenic Evolution | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic - July 3rd, 2017
- What is the Difference Between Entheogens and Drugs? - Waking ... - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogens : Al-Kemi : spagyrics and alchemy - June 26th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Takes Consciousness Research into Mystic Realms of the Divine Play - The Sociable - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogen - June 14th, 2017
- Psychedelics touted as solution for society - Ashland Daily Tidings - June 6th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post South Africa (blog) - February 8th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post - February 7th, 2017
- A conversation with Haroon Mirza - Ocula Magazine - February 7th, 2017
- Entheogens - Reality Sandwich - February 4th, 2017
- Urban Dictionary: entheogen - February 2nd, 2017
- Entheogens including Salvia, LSD, Peyote, and Mushrooms ... - December 22nd, 2016
- Entheogen | Psychology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia - December 22nd, 2016