By John Darling for the Tidings
While psychedelic drugs rose to prominence in the 1960s, the attendees at an Ashland conference say the nation and world would be a better place if the non-addictive drugs regained their footing in society.
The peace and love message of the '60s inspired in part by psychedelic drugs hasnt changed over the last five decades, speakers told the approximately 300 attendees at the fourth annual Exploring Psychedelics conference, held May 25-26 at Southern Oregon University.
Pointing to a spiritual crisis in the west, conference organizer Martin Ball, an SOU adjunct faculty member, said mind-altering substances such as psilocybin mushrooms have been a positive part of culture since the beginning of history. But the federal government's War on Drugs over the last 50 years demonized the non-addictive entheogens (literally: generating god within) and pushed the movement to the periphery of society.
A psychedelic renaissance is underway as researchers and society learn of its benefits in health, healing and creativity in art, music, philosophy and a greater understanding of how to solve societys problems, says Ball. Were not talking about back-alley druggies and Grateful Dead concerts here. These are important members of our society.
Ball produces a podcast, the Entheogenic Revolution, with a motto, Just Say Know, a play on the Drug Wars just say no credo. Noting that psychedelics are not in the same category as meth or crack, he said they should stop being criminalized.
In the wake of the states legalization of marijuana, Tom and Sheri Eckert of Portland have organized the Oregon Psilocybin Society, which they said is promoting a ballot measure to legalize the mind-altering substance. The measure would set up a process for overseeing and training facilitators of trips, licensing, getting medical clearance for users who must be over 21 but would not legalize personal possession.
The psychedelic movement is rising to prominence and if humanity is to survive, we need to heal the culture, said Sheri Eckert. "Its bottoming out and forcing us to look at ourselves. We have to evolve and claim our higher consciousness or else. Psilocybin helps us reclaim our truth.
The plant offers relief for depression, end-of-life anxiety, addiction and PTSD, the Eckerts said.
When the history of this time is written in a thousand years, said Tom Eckert, a therapist, I bet they wont focus on our absurd politics but how we valued the inner dimension.
In a talk on marijuana, Michael Scott said psychoactive drugs are at the tipping point, with less and less suppression. More and more folks are talking about changing the world to a better place.
John Darling is an Ashland freelance writer. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the original:
- Isn't it high time we decriminalised the use of psychedelics? - Political Analysis South Africa - April 2nd, 2020
- In Chicago, Legal Pot Could be Just the Beginning. Are Mushrooms Next? - WTTW News - February 12th, 2020
- The Joys of Growing Older - Cannabis Now - February 12th, 2020
- Dazzling Film Fantastic Fungi Shows The Magic Of Mushrooms With An Expanding Theatrical Release - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Cleansing the Doors of Perception - The Good Men Project - October 16th, 2019
- Guide - Wikipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Entheogens - PsychonautWiki - May 1st, 2019
- Entheogens & Existential Intelligence: The Use of Plant ... - January 5th, 2019
- Entheogens and Psychedelics including Ayahuasca, LSD, Peyote ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Erowid Psychoactive Vaults : Term Definitions - November 22nd, 2018
- Entheogens and the Future of Religion: Robert Forte ... - September 25th, 2018
- Entheogens - The SpiritWiki - September 21st, 2018
- Plants - Tribe of the Sun - August 20th, 2018
- Entheogens | Gornahoor - August 3rd, 2018
- Vex - Destinypedia, the Destiny encyclopedia - August 3rd, 2018
- Entheogen - PsychonautWiki - July 22nd, 2018
- Entheogens | Drug War Facts - April 5th, 2018
- European Entheogens: Folk Medicine and Magical Aids ... - March 9th, 2018
- Entheogens today Ethnobotanical 101 - March 9th, 2018
- Yoga and Entheogens (aka Drugs) Do They Mix ... - March 9th, 2018
- Natural vs Synthetic Drugs & Entheogens | Animam Recro - February 24th, 2018
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked religious movements - The Oakland Press - August 25th, 2017
- Entheogens: Whats in a Name? The Untold History of ... - August 21st, 2017
- Outside the Box - HuffPost - August 12th, 2017
- 'Summer of Love' shaped American lives, spiritual expression - Houston Chronicle - July 29th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Independent - July 24th, 2017
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked today's religious movements - Religion News Service - July 22nd, 2017
- The Poisoner: Pharmakos and Veneficus-Poisoner's Apothecary - Patheos (blog) - July 18th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - Metro Newspaper UK - July 7th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Conversation UK - July 6th, 2017
- The Entheogenic Evolution | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic - July 3rd, 2017
- The History and Possibilities of Putting Weed in Your Witchcraft - Seattle Weekly - June 29th, 2017
- What is the Difference Between Entheogens and Drugs? - Waking ... - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogens : Al-Kemi : spagyrics and alchemy - June 26th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Takes Consciousness Research into Mystic Realms of the Divine Play - The Sociable - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogen - June 14th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post South Africa (blog) - February 8th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post - February 7th, 2017
- A conversation with Haroon Mirza - Ocula Magazine - February 7th, 2017
- Entheogens - Reality Sandwich - February 4th, 2017
- Urban Dictionary: entheogen - February 2nd, 2017
- Entheogens including Salvia, LSD, Peyote, and Mushrooms ... - December 22nd, 2016
- Entheogen | Psychology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia - December 22nd, 2016