Chicago could become the largest city in the nation to decriminalize natural psychedelics like mushrooms and peyote.
A little over a month after Chicago made recreational marijuana legal, the City Council is considering whether to decriminalize what are termed entheogenic plants that contain psychoactive substances that can induce a spiritual experience.
Denver decriminalized psychadelic mushrooms in May and Oakland followed suit in June. Last month, Santa Cruz voted unanimously to decriminalize all entheogenic plants.
Among the proponents of such a move in Chicago is Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd Ward) who introduced a resolution in October to have the Chicago Department of Public Health explore the potential benefits of such substances for treating a range of illnesses, from post-traumatic stress disorder to drug addiction.
The resolution recommends that law enforcement reduce the pursuit of criminal cases involving organic psychedelics to amongst the lowest priority.
In a statement, Hopkins said hed like to encourage a public discussion to explore the use of such substances for the treatment of a range of ailments, from PTSD to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) to anxiety and depression.
Used for ceremonial and healing purposes for thousands of years by cultures around the world, the science is showing tremendous potential for healing ailments of the mind, said Hopkins.
Entheogens have also shown promise in the treatment of substance abuse and addiction, and even as a smoking-cessation tool.
Psychedelic mushrooms growing in Veracruz, Mexico. (Alan Rockefeller / Wikimedia Commons)
Richard Miller, professor of pharmacology and psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern Medicines Feinberg School of Medicine, says that its important to recognize that the period of prohibition since 1970 is highly unusual.
People have taken these things for thousands and thousands of years, said Miller. What happened was they became associated with the counterculture movement of the 1960s which was a very, very powerful counterculture much more powerful than the kinds of things we have these days. And it was very frightening to middle-class America and the Nixon government decided it had to go away, so they passed a law in 1970 called the Controlled Substances Act which made all these things illegal.
Prior to that, Miller says, thousands of medical papers had been written which seemed to suggest some very, very promising medical uses for the plants. But after passage of the Controlled Substances Act, all of that research was effectively shut down.
Thats the abnormal time, the time we have just been living through, said Miller. So really, if you decriminalize these things you are really getting back to what for thousands of years has been normal. Now theres a renaissance in interest in these things again either with respect to individual spirituality or with respect to medicine.
Last year, the Food and Drug Administration designated psilocybin a breakthrough therapy for treating major depression in a move designed to accelerate drug development. The FDA said that preliminary evidence seemed to indicate that it may be a substantial improvement over currently available therapies.
These drugs can really shake up your psyche a lot and make you look at things in a completely different way, said Miller, who notes that modern research tools and techniques mean that we now have a far greater understanding of what these substances are doing to the brain.
For example, brain scans have revealed that psilocybin the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms seems to increase brain connectivity.
What you can say is that when you take something like psilocybin what you see is that the different parts of the brain become much more connected with each other than they were before, said Miller. Now what exactly that has to do with spirituality is a very interesting question at the cutting edge of research at the moment.
According to Miller, the classification of these substances as Schedule 1 drugs the same designation given to heroin was always nonsense.
The whole drug categorization thing was a completely political thing. It had absolutely nothing to do with what the drugs were or werent good for, said Miller. Some of them are dangerous and some of them really arent. It was a completely political thing. Its actually got nothing to do with what the drugs do at all.
- What Are Psychedelic Drugs (Hallucinogenics)? | Leafly - November 29th, 2021
- Cannabis & Marijuana Education: Learn All About Weed | Leafly - November 29th, 2021
- University of Michigan police say safety will be top priority at psychedelic shroom festival - MLive.com - August 24th, 2021
- Psychedelic Drug Therapy: Tips and Support for the Experience - Greatist - August 24th, 2021
- Check out virtual Hempfest protestival, live this weekend - The Leaf Online - October 10th, 2020
- Entheogen - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- Entheogens | Sacred Geometry - August 10th, 2020
- Global Psychoactive Drug Market Forecast and Analysis (2019-2026), by Type, by Application, by Region. - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 10th, 2020
- Visions, Mushrooms, Fungi, Cacti, and Toads: Joseph Smith's Reported Use of Entheogens - Patheos - August 7th, 2020
- Entheogen - PsychonautWiki - August 3rd, 2020
- Entheogens and Psychedelics including Ayahuasca, LSD ... - July 29th, 2020
- Entheogen - New World Encyclopedia - July 27th, 2020
- The Only Obstacle To A Healthy World Is Government Secrecy And Propaganda - Scoop.co.nz - July 25th, 2020
- Reopening The Doors Of Perception: The Psychedelics Renaissance In Canada - Cannabis & Hemp - Canada - Mondaq News Alerts - July 24th, 2020
- There's More to the CHOP Than What the Media Will Have You Believe - Study Breaks - July 21st, 2020
- Isn't it high time we decriminalised the use of psychedelics? - Political Analysis South Africa - April 2nd, 2020
- The Joys of Growing Older - Cannabis Now - February 12th, 2020
- Dazzling Film Fantastic Fungi Shows The Magic Of Mushrooms With An Expanding Theatrical Release - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Cleansing the Doors of Perception - The Good Men Project - October 16th, 2019
- Guide - Wikipedia - May 14th, 2019
- Entheogens - PsychonautWiki - May 1st, 2019
- Entheogens & Existential Intelligence: The Use of Plant ... - January 5th, 2019
- Entheogens and Psychedelics including Ayahuasca, LSD, Peyote ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Erowid Psychoactive Vaults : Term Definitions - November 22nd, 2018
- Entheogens and the Future of Religion: Robert Forte ... - September 25th, 2018
- Entheogens - The SpiritWiki - September 21st, 2018
- Plants - Tribe of the Sun - August 20th, 2018
- Entheogens | Gornahoor - August 3rd, 2018
- Vex - Destinypedia, the Destiny encyclopedia - August 3rd, 2018
- Entheogens | Drug War Facts - April 5th, 2018
- European Entheogens: Folk Medicine and Magical Aids ... - March 9th, 2018
- Entheogens today Ethnobotanical 101 - March 9th, 2018
- Yoga and Entheogens (aka Drugs) Do They Mix ... - March 9th, 2018
- Natural vs Synthetic Drugs & Entheogens | Animam Recro - February 24th, 2018
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked religious movements - The Oakland Press - August 25th, 2017
- Entheogens: Whats in a Name? The Untold History of ... - August 21st, 2017
- Outside the Box - HuffPost - August 12th, 2017
- 'Summer of Love' shaped American lives, spiritual expression - Houston Chronicle - July 29th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Independent - July 24th, 2017
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked today's religious movements - Religion News Service - July 22nd, 2017
- The Poisoner: Pharmakos and Veneficus-Poisoner's Apothecary - Patheos (blog) - July 18th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - Metro Newspaper UK - July 7th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Conversation UK - July 6th, 2017
- The Entheogenic Evolution | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic - July 3rd, 2017
- The History and Possibilities of Putting Weed in Your Witchcraft - Seattle Weekly - June 29th, 2017
- What is the Difference Between Entheogens and Drugs? - Waking ... - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogens : Al-Kemi : spagyrics and alchemy - June 26th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Takes Consciousness Research into Mystic Realms of the Divine Play - The Sociable - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogen - June 14th, 2017
- Psychedelics touted as solution for society - Ashland Daily Tidings - June 6th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post South Africa (blog) - February 8th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post - February 7th, 2017
- A conversation with Haroon Mirza - Ocula Magazine - February 7th, 2017
- Entheogens - Reality Sandwich - February 4th, 2017
- Urban Dictionary: entheogen - February 2nd, 2017
- Entheogens including Salvia, LSD, Peyote, and Mushrooms ... - December 22nd, 2016
- Entheogen | Psychology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia - December 22nd, 2016