In Part 1 of this series, we explained the basics of Decentralized Finance (DeFi). We also evaluated its difference from the traditional financial systems and discussed how they will change the future. In this Part, we will review the top DeFi projects across segments.
A quick recap of the different DeFi segments:
0x is an open protocol that enables the peer-to-peer exchange of assets on the Ethereum blockchain. Anyone in the world can use 0x to service a wide variety of markets ranging from gaming items to financial instruments to assets that could have never existed before.
0x boasts of the following numbers: Total Transactions: 713K, Total Volume: $750M, Total Projects: 30+
Popular projects which are already using 0x Protocol include dYdX, Gods Unchained, etc.
Paxos Standard (PAX) considers itself a digital dollar. Just like other crypto assets, it can move instantaneously, anywhere in the world, any time of any day, and its programmable. It is USD-pegged (1:1). The funds are carefully protected, audited and regulated.
PAX boasts of the following numbers: Total PAX transacted ~ $ 60.7 Bn, Total PAX minted ~ $ 1.2 Bn
PAX is a programmable token that can participate in the larger global community of tokens, helping create a global platform for programmable money with stability.
Maker comprises a decentralized stable coin, collateral loans, and community governance. Its product, Dai (DAI) is a stable and decentralized currency. It allows businesses and individuals to realize the advantages of digital money without experiencing volatility. Maker (MKR) is the governance token for the Dai Credit System. MKR holders have the important responsibility of making decisions around the risk that will impact the future of the system.
Anyone who has collateral assets can leverage them to generate DAI on the Maker Platform. This can be done through Makers unique smart contracts known as Collateralized Debt Positions (CDP). These CDPs hold collateral assets deposited by a user and permit this user to generate DAI. But, generating DAI also accrues debt. This debt effectively locks the deposited collateral assets inside the CDP until it is later covered by paying back an equivalent amount of DAI. At this point, the owner can again withdraw their collateral.
When the user wants to retrieve their collateral, they have to pay off the debt in the CDP. They will also have to pay a stability fee, which they have continuously accrued on the debt over time. It is paid in MKR (or DAI if using the CDP Portal UI).
Lending through Collateralized Debt Position is MakerDaos game-changer. It is still a work in progress and will be made more effective in the coming days.
Bob needs a loan, so he decides to generate 100 DAI. He locks an amount of ETH worth significantly more than 100 DAI into a CDP and uses it to generate 100 DAI. The 100 DAI is instantly sent directly to his Ethereum account. Assuming that the stability fee is 1% per year, Bob will need 101 DAI to cover the CDP if he decides to retrieve his ETH one year later.
From MakerDao s website.
Read more here: Top 5 Working Cryptocurrency Projects With Great Token Utility
Augur is a trustless, decentralized oracle and peer to peer protocol for prediction markets. It is deployed on the Ethereum blockchain. Augur forecasts the results of different events basing on the Wisdom of the Crowd Principle (large groups aggregated answers are often superior to the answer given by any of the individuals in the group).
Augurs decentralized oracle system has the ability to identify the truth of an incident. This is Augurs ultimate innovation. So Augur produces honest predictions about the future and reports of what has already occurred and the present state of the world.
Augur markets follow a four-stage progression:
A user can ask a specific question about a real-world event in the future. Trading begins immediately after the market creation, and all users are free to trade on any market. Market creators will receive an Augur coin (REP) encouragement from the fees for buying shares. After the event, on which the market is based, has occurred, its outcome is determined by Augurs oracle. Then, traders can close out their positions and collect their payouts.
In a Decentralized Prediction Market (DPM) theres no operator! A market actor or a group of actors stand to gain millions or even billions by manipulating an outcome and claiming that Y occurred when in fact X was the true outcome. This is The Oracle Problem.
Augur uses an incentivized communal resolution system. Market outcomes undergo a resolution process whereby participants can dispute outcomes by placing a financial stake. Those who stake on the accurate outcome, or more precisely, on the outcome that the market ultimately resolves to, win an additional stake. Those who report inaccurate outcomes lose their stakes. This incentivizes honest reporting.
Reporters use Reputation (REP) during market dispute phases of Augur. REP holders must perform work, in the form of staking their REP on correct outcomes, to receive a portion of the market settlement fees. If s/he does not report correctly, s/he does not get the fees and loses REP. Also, if s/he does not participate in a fork (when the network has a very large dispute over an outcome), s/he loses 5% of his REP. Passive holders of REP who dont use the coinwithin the Augur protocol to stake on disputes and forks are penalized.
Launched in 2018, Harbors mission is to power the future of crypto-securities. For this, it wants to build a decentralized compliance protocol that standardizes the way securities are issued and traded on blockchains. The platform streamlines the alternative investment experience for investors, issuers and their placement agents. It unlocks liquidity options for traditionally illiquid assets.
Do read our detailed articles on Security Tokens:
Understanding Security Tokens Part 1
Understanding Security Tokens Part 2
SelfKey is an identity system built on an open platform consisting of several key components including
Selfkey introduces a concept called Self-Sovereign IDentity (SSID). This concept of Self Sovereign Digital Identity is similar to the way we store and manage our non-digital identities today. Currently, most of us keep identity documents such as passports and birth certificates or utility bills at our homes safely, securely, under our own control. Self-sovereign identity in SelfKey is the digital equivalent of what most of us already do with our physical identity documents.
References: We have heavily referred to the official websites of individual projects.
Read more from the original source:
- Herring River project will revive long-afflicted estuary ecosystem - Cape Cod Times - February 18th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis of Electric Vehicle Ecosystem in the United Kingdom, 2018-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 18th, 2020
- Governor's grizzly council makes tracks to Libby City Hall this month - The Western News - February 18th, 2020
- Explained: Mobile App Architecture - The Basis of App Ecosystem - Appinventiv - February 18th, 2020
- Balance Your Own Ecosystem in the Great Board Game Ecosystem - Paste Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- What are Bhutan's sacred forests worth? - Forests News, Center for International Forestry Research - February 18th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services Assessment of the Prins Hendrik Zanddijk - Dredging Today - February 18th, 2020
- ConsenSys Grants funds third cohort of projects to benefit the Ethereum ecosystem - CryptoNinjas - February 18th, 2020
- OIF Members to Showcase Innovation and Interoperability Solutions for the Industrys Most Critical Challenges at OFC 2020 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- JPMorgan Dipping its Toes into the Ethereum Ecosystem Could Be Bullish for ETH - newsBTC - February 18th, 2020
- Regenerative farming: how farmers can make the transition - The Poultry Site - February 18th, 2020
- Announced the Addition of New Statistical Data Titled as Embedded Computing Ecosystem Market 2020 by Growth, Demand & Opportunities & Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Here's how a visiting venture capitalist explores Houston's startup ecosystem for the first time - InnovationMap - February 18th, 2020
- On Apple's revenue warningJim Cramer and others weigh in - CNBC - February 18th, 2020
- Floating Farms May Help Reinvent the World's Food Ecosystems - WIRED - February 18th, 2020
- Italian carmaker Maserati to invest USD 1.29 billion to build an electric ecosystem - The New Indian Express - February 18th, 2020
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Ten Predictions On The Future Of Work, VC And The Tech Ecosystem For 2020 And Beyond - Forbes - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019