(Part II in a multi-part post examining IAM in healthcare)
Healthcares rapid transition to a fully digital environment has benefitted from the introduction of sophisticated IT tools to the hospital ecosystem and bedside workflows, which have greatly helped improve the delivery of care. In the course of improving care delivery, however, healthcare also experienced something else: greater complexity.
(Gus Malezis, President and Chief Executive Officer, Imprivata)
Todays modern healthcare delivery ecosystem consists of a much more extensive and expansive population of providers and users, all of whom are operating from multiple locations. Often times, these locations are outside the four walls of the hospital, and furthermore the users access systems through an exploding number of devices and an ever-increasing complement of applications that reside on-prem and progressively in the cloud.
In this post, we will look at the four planes of the modern healthcare ecosystem to get an appreciation for the ways that improving care delivery is creating more complexity across the industry and the pivotal role that digital identity and IAM will play in this environment.
The Four Planes
Healthcare delivery now happens around the clock, with a diverse set of healthcare professionals, each of whom is regularly using all kinds of connected and different devices. By taking the IT tools we have and adjusting them to the dimensions of these rapidly evolving planes, we can continue supporting them and enabling improved care in the healthcare continuum.
Plane I Who are the users?
Now and into the future, the professionals accessing healthcare systems are multiplying exponentially. Instead of just doctors and nurses as was the case in the recent past we now have affiliates, administrative staff, and other external users. This easily doubles, and even triples, the number of people we consider to be users or, more importantly, healthcare providers; its now anybody who is in association with your healthcare ecosystem.
Plane II Where are they operating?
The physical locus of healthcare delivery is no longer only a hospital. It can be a clinic, a doctors office, or a home-care situation. Todays healthcare providers are no longer just operating in a single location at the hospital or acute-care environment theyre everywhere.
Plane III What devices are they using to access the digital networks?
It used to be that providers would access a system through a computer, usually a Windows system, located at a nursing station but thats no longer the case. Now, machines are in a patients room, or are portable and in the hands of the providers as they make their patient rounds. These machines may be corporate devices, or they could be personal. Some can be also be virtual machines, Android or iOS Smartphones and tablets, or medical devices. Healthcare is experiencing an explosion of connected digital devices, taking us from 1X to numbers that are 4X or even 10X (especially if you include medical devices) in terms of access points.
Plane IV What are the apps and services they use to deliver healthcare?
Providers are no longer limited to a constrained complement of apps, to the EHR, imaging, scheduling and communications. Now we are seeing many more apps become available to the providers and that includes HR, payroll and office automation apps. These apps run the spectrum of classical fat-client apps, virtual apps, SaaS and cloud apps, along with mobile apps. Here again the population of offerings continue to explode in volume.
IAM considerations in healthcare
This proliferation ofEVERYTHINGhas eroded the once well-defined network perimeter and the systems and services delivered within that environment. In this new ecosystem, organizations must architect and build for this scale and establish trusted identities across a complex network of people, technology, and information.
With a focus on trusted digital identity, organizations can optimize processes and technologies to solve the equally critical aspects of (a) workflow, (b) security, and (c) compliance challenges. They can give users secure access to the applications, devices, and information they need, anywhere and anytime they need it.
Healthcare has unique considerations and challenges that directly impact IAM purchasing, deployment, and management decisions. And theyre not limited to the entities (users, devices, applications) that must be addressed by an effective IAM program. Clinical workflows are also complicated by the industrys complex ecosystem.
Regulatory concerns pose another unique challenge for the industry. Healthcare is a heavily regulated industry, and the information thats shared is highly sensitive. This requires compliance with unique and specific regulatory requirements, from HIPAA to DEA requirements for electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS).
Addressing the challenges
So, how do we overcome these challenges to give users secure access to the applications, devices, and information they need, anywhere and anytime they need it? This is where a solid identity and access management (IAM) strategy comes into place.
First, IT teams need to grant the right users the right level of access into the right systems. With the right identity management technology in place, healthcare organizations can automate the process of quickly provisioning, updating, and deactivating user access. This has to be accomplished with automation and fast repeatable and consistent process.
Next, give users the anytime, anywhere access they need from any device by eliminating the overreliance on usernames and passwords. Single sign-on (SSO), for example, allows users to access their devices, any devices. This is the case whether its the shared nursing station desktop, the VDI/thin/zero end-point, their dedicated windows desktop/laptop, or the shared smartphone or tablet. Moreover, its all with the simple, well understood and ubiquitous badge tap, and in that same process, they can automatically and appropriately access their applications, be it on-prem, or cloud apps.
To get the security and compliance part right, especially when elevated levels of trust are required or mandated, the next step is layering on an effective and efficient multifactor authentication system. Pick the combination of authentication methods thats right for your organization. The combination of two or more factors including a push token, fingerprint biometrics, or hands-free authentication, amongst others, makes security transparent so it doesnt interrupt clinical workflow. Hands-free authentication with invisible/transparent 2nd factor is a particularly usable innovation, as the technology fades to the background, becoming invisible, enabling the provider to focus on whats important the patient and enhancing productivity.
As an industry, healthcare has traditionally focused on locking down everything within our networks. In the new digital world, its time to take the same precautions with the new non-perimeter and the broader set of variables all of which should support the well trusted clinical workflow and enhance care delivery. Protecting against new cyber security risks requires having the right technology in place, starting with an integrated IAM solution. This is the first step for healthcare organizations to strike the necessary, but often elusive, balance between security and clinical workflow efficiency across the evolving healthcare technology landscape.
Digital identity and IAM now play even a more pivotal role. We need trusted identities. We also need the right infrastructure to support and manage those identities something we will examine in our next post in this series.
Check back in November for the final installment of this series, and for more information, browse the infographic.
Gus Malezis is President and Chief Executive Officer of Imprivata.
Read the original:
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Ten Predictions On The Future Of Work, VC And The Tech Ecosystem For 2020 And Beyond - Forbes - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019
- Vermont Futures Project recommends strengthening the innovation ecosystem - Vermont Biz - October 24th, 2019
- Android 9 was installed on less than a quarter of the ecosystem as Android 10 launched - The Verge - October 24th, 2019
- Leave those fall leaves for a nicer lawn and a healthier ecosystem - Greater Greater Washington - October 24th, 2019
- Innovation and safety: creating a safer road transport ecosystem - Intelligent Transport - October 24th, 2019
- Inmar Expands Innovator Ecosystem with Acquisition of Digitus Solutions - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Plasan Introduces the StreetDrone Open Autonomy Platform to Israel - Army Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Investing In The Nonprofit Ecosystem - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- 35 New Integration Partners Join Thriving Clio App Ecosystem - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Trump Wants Loggers to Tear Through This Pristine Forest. If It Happens, the Ecosystem Will Be in Chaos. - Mother Jones - October 24th, 2019
- Treating the IT Ecosystem as an Actual Ecosystem - MarketScale Industries - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding Startup Investment Dynamics Within The Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding the Decentralized Finance Ecosystem: Part 2 Top DeFi Projects - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - October 24th, 2019
- Indian startups have raised a record $11.3B this year - TechCrunch - October 24th, 2019
- Global Access Control Ecosystem, 2019 | 5 Year Forecasts of Unit Sales & Revenues for Smart Door Locks, Video Doorbells, and Smart Garage Door... - October 24th, 2019
- Restoration Agriculture: A New Approach to Growing Food - WCAI - October 24th, 2019
- Yurok Tribes Connection to Klamath River Weakens as Ecosystem Declines - The LumberJack - October 24th, 2019