(Part II in a multi-part post examining IAM in healthcare)
Healthcares rapid transition to a fully digital environment has benefitted from the introduction of sophisticated IT tools to the hospital ecosystem and bedside workflows, which have greatly helped improve the delivery of care. In the course of improving care delivery, however, healthcare also experienced something else: greater complexity.
(Gus Malezis, President and Chief Executive Officer, Imprivata)
Todays modern healthcare delivery ecosystem consists of a much more extensive and expansive population of providers and users, all of whom are operating from multiple locations. Often times, these locations are outside the four walls of the hospital, and furthermore the users access systems through an exploding number of devices and an ever-increasing complement of applications that reside on-prem and progressively in the cloud.
In this post, we will look at the four planes of the modern healthcare ecosystem to get an appreciation for the ways that improving care delivery is creating more complexity across the industry and the pivotal role that digital identity and IAM will play in this environment.
The Four Planes
Healthcare delivery now happens around the clock, with a diverse set of healthcare professionals, each of whom is regularly using all kinds of connected and different devices. By taking the IT tools we have and adjusting them to the dimensions of these rapidly evolving planes, we can continue supporting them and enabling improved care in the healthcare continuum.
Plane I Who are the users?
Now and into the future, the professionals accessing healthcare systems are multiplying exponentially. Instead of just doctors and nurses as was the case in the recent past we now have affiliates, administrative staff, and other external users. This easily doubles, and even triples, the number of people we consider to be users or, more importantly, healthcare providers; its now anybody who is in association with your healthcare ecosystem.
Plane II Where are they operating?
The physical locus of healthcare delivery is no longer only a hospital. It can be a clinic, a doctors office, or a home-care situation. Todays healthcare providers are no longer just operating in a single location at the hospital or acute-care environment theyre everywhere.
Plane III What devices are they using to access the digital networks?
It used to be that providers would access a system through a computer, usually a Windows system, located at a nursing station but thats no longer the case. Now, machines are in a patients room, or are portable and in the hands of the providers as they make their patient rounds. These machines may be corporate devices, or they could be personal. Some can be also be virtual machines, Android or iOS Smartphones and tablets, or medical devices. Healthcare is experiencing an explosion of connected digital devices, taking us from 1X to numbers that are 4X or even 10X (especially if you include medical devices) in terms of access points.
Plane IV What are the apps and services they use to deliver healthcare?
Providers are no longer limited to a constrained complement of apps, to the EHR, imaging, scheduling and communications. Now we are seeing many more apps become available to the providers and that includes HR, payroll and office automation apps. These apps run the spectrum of classical fat-client apps, virtual apps, SaaS and cloud apps, along with mobile apps. Here again the population of offerings continue to explode in volume.
IAM considerations in healthcare
This proliferation ofEVERYTHINGhas eroded the once well-defined network perimeter and the systems and services delivered within that environment. In this new ecosystem, organizations must architect and build for this scale and establish trusted identities across a complex network of people, technology, and information.
With a focus on trusted digital identity, organizations can optimize processes and technologies to solve the equally critical aspects of (a) workflow, (b) security, and (c) compliance challenges. They can give users secure access to the applications, devices, and information they need, anywhere and anytime they need it.
Healthcare has unique considerations and challenges that directly impact IAM purchasing, deployment, and management decisions. And theyre not limited to the entities (users, devices, applications) that must be addressed by an effective IAM program. Clinical workflows are also complicated by the industrys complex ecosystem.
Regulatory concerns pose another unique challenge for the industry. Healthcare is a heavily regulated industry, and the information thats shared is highly sensitive. This requires compliance with unique and specific regulatory requirements, from HIPAA to DEA requirements for electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS).
Addressing the challenges
So, how do we overcome these challenges to give users secure access to the applications, devices, and information they need, anywhere and anytime they need it? This is where a solid identity and access management (IAM) strategy comes into place.
First, IT teams need to grant the right users the right level of access into the right systems. With the right identity management technology in place, healthcare organizations can automate the process of quickly provisioning, updating, and deactivating user access. This has to be accomplished with automation and fast repeatable and consistent process.
Next, give users the anytime, anywhere access they need from any device by eliminating the overreliance on usernames and passwords. Single sign-on (SSO), for example, allows users to access their devices, any devices. This is the case whether its the shared nursing station desktop, the VDI/thin/zero end-point, their dedicated windows desktop/laptop, or the shared smartphone or tablet. Moreover, its all with the simple, well understood and ubiquitous badge tap, and in that same process, they can automatically and appropriately access their applications, be it on-prem, or cloud apps.
To get the security and compliance part right, especially when elevated levels of trust are required or mandated, the next step is layering on an effective and efficient multifactor authentication system. Pick the combination of authentication methods thats right for your organization. The combination of two or more factors including a push token, fingerprint biometrics, or hands-free authentication, amongst others, makes security transparent so it doesnt interrupt clinical workflow. Hands-free authentication with invisible/transparent 2nd factor is a particularly usable innovation, as the technology fades to the background, becoming invisible, enabling the provider to focus on whats important the patient and enhancing productivity.
As an industry, healthcare has traditionally focused on locking down everything within our networks. In the new digital world, its time to take the same precautions with the new non-perimeter and the broader set of variables all of which should support the well trusted clinical workflow and enhance care delivery. Protecting against new cyber security risks requires having the right technology in place, starting with an integrated IAM solution. This is the first step for healthcare organizations to strike the necessary, but often elusive, balance between security and clinical workflow efficiency across the evolving healthcare technology landscape.
Digital identity and IAM now play even a more pivotal role. We need trusted identities. We also need the right infrastructure to support and manage those identities something we will examine in our next post in this series.
Check back in November for the final installment of this series, and for more information, browse the infographic.
Gus Malezis is President and Chief Executive Officer of Imprivata.
Read the original:
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020
- Ricoh unveils new AI-powered digital transformation ecosystem to drive Workflow and Process Automation - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Global mHealth Ecosystem Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2025 |... - September 4th, 2020
- IoT Ecosystem Creates an Optimized Smart Warehouse - The Union Journal - September 4th, 2020
- Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- TRON and Band Protocol Form Strategic Partnership; Scalable Oracle Technology and Ecosystem Integrations Underway - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- The Eight Startups That Could Transform The Aviation Ecosystem - Aviation Week - September 4th, 2020
- Eisai will shift U.S. HQ to New Jersey 'bio-ecosystem' in move to boost oncology, neurology portfolios - FiercePharma - August 12th, 2020
- What is an entrepreneurial ecosystem? And why you need one to raise a startup - TNW - August 12th, 2020
- Thales Expands Technology Partner Ecosystem to Accelerate Enterprises' Cloud and Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - August 12th, 2020
- Navajo Nation and Environmental Groups Oppose Dam Project Impacting Grand Canyon Ecosystem - Between The Lines - August 12th, 2020
- Alchemy Goes Public With Developer Platform in Bid to Grow DeFi Ecosystem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2020
- ScamNation Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - GlobeNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services: Nature's Gifts That Help Us Thrive | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - August 12th, 2020
- How an entrepreneur saved Kerala wetland ecosystem from real estate interest - Down To Earth Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- QDX HealthID Signs Distribution Agreement with Innova Medical Group Inc. Adding Antigen, Molecular and Antibody Tests to its COVID-19 Test Ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- 5 VCs on the future of Michigans startup ecosystem - TechCrunch - August 12th, 2020
- VCIA: blockchain-based ecosystem will shape digital future of captive industry - Captive Insurance Times - August 12th, 2020
- Microsoft and Samsung need each other now more than ever - The Verge - August 12th, 2020
- "ScamNation" Report Profiles Digital Ecosystem Targeting Readers of False, Hyperpartisan News with COVID-19 Subscription Traps - Benzinga - August 12th, 2020
- "Transitioning to future with stronger APAC healthcare ecosystem" - BSA bureau - August 12th, 2020
- BBT is the first and most competitive game ecosystem - GameDev.net - August 12th, 2020
- Purple urchin has overrun kelp forests, commercial divers and conservationists have have joined forces to restore the North Coasts marine ecosystem -... - August 12th, 2020
- Four Altcoins Could Break Out As Ethereum-Based Ecosystem Goes Parabolic, According to Messari Researcher - The Daily Hodl - August 12th, 2020
- Samsung Unveils Five New Power Devices in the Galaxy Ecosystem to Empower Your Work and Play - Samsung Global Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud partner ecosystem is thriving and valuable to partner companies, says IDC - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- Global Forecasts for the Intelligent Transportation System Market to 2025 with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Offering, System, Application, and... - August 10th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Investment Management: SEC Explores Creating a More Inclusive Capital Formation Ecosystem - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Marine Park in Australia's Northern Territory Protects a Flourishing Ecosystem - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 10th, 2020
- Ecosystem of innovation - The News International - August 10th, 2020
- Chehalis River: Watershed Helath, Climate Resilience, and Ecosystem Restoration - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- CerebrumX Launched - Buckling Up the Car Data Monetization Ecosystem for the Exciting Ride Ahead - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Vinli Hires George Ayres as Executive Vice President of Partnerships to Drive the Future of Its Connected Vehicle Ecosystem - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- 6 Ways to Build the Healthcare System of the Future - HealthLeaders Media - August 10th, 2020
- How The Chinese Open Source Ecosystem Is Thriving And Advancing AI - Analytics India Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Best of BS Opinion: Indias digital ecosystem, beyond Ayodhya, and more - Business Standard - August 10th, 2020
- How can Canadas performing arts ecosystem change in the face of COVID-19? - The Globe and Mail - August 10th, 2020
- yEarn Expanding its Ecosystem to Bring in Hot DeFi Tokens into the Mix - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - August 10th, 2020
- What is the current state of the UAE's startup ecosystem? - Gulf Business News - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Commercial Vehicle Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS) Market (2020-2024) | Integration of Advanced... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Connected Cow and Farm Market Report 2020: Market Size, Forecasts, Insights and Opportunities to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Alabama Mercedes plant among first in world to use innovative production system - Alabama NewsCenter - August 8th, 2020
- Enhanced efficiency thanks to new family of applications: Digital Mercedes-Benz production ecosystem MO360: global production networked in real time -... - August 8th, 2020
- Peril in the hills: Extreme weather a danger for Nilgiri ecosystem - Down To Earth Magazine - August 8th, 2020
- IPL returns but will be played in UAE; Indian cricket ecosystem loses out - The Times of India Blog - August 8th, 2020
- The Giant Panda Is a Conservation Icon, But The Success Story Masks a Dark Truth - ScienceAlert - August 7th, 2020
- This mobile game lets you build ecosystems that will help solve real-world ecological problems - Fast Company - August 7th, 2020
- BigPanda Invests in Partner Ecosystem to Deliver on Customer Demand for Improved IT Operations - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- The IoT Community Internet of Things Community Announces Phizzle Has Joined Its Elite IoT Ecosystem as a Gold Level Corporate Member - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Clinical Trial Management System Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Almost 11% Through 2020-2024 | Increasing Outsourcing of... - August 7th, 2020
- The AR/VR ecosystem Are we there yet? - VentureBeat - August 4th, 2020
- Spixii Joins Duck Creek Technologies Partner Ecosystem, Offering Award-Winning Claim Solution to Deliver on Customer Expectations at the Moment of... - August 4th, 2020
- DIY phishing kits dissected: Organizations urged to tackle the underground ecosystem that democratized cybercrime - The Daily Swig - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on The Wearable Technology Ecosystem Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2018 to 2030... - August 4th, 2020
- India Gaming Summit 2020: How Dream11 plans to build the esports ecosystem from the bottoms up - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Huawei Ecosystem has gone beyond the heights with 1.6 M Global Developers - - Technology Times Pakistan - August 4th, 2020
- Opinion | How to make online payments bustle with competition - Livemint - August 4th, 2020
- Building ecosystems is hard. Auditing them is worse. - Stacey on IoT - August 4th, 2020
- AB 3030 fails to recognize marine protections that exists in California - CALmatters - August 4th, 2020
- VoLTE (Voice over LTE) Ecosystem Industry Market Professional Survey 2020 by Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Trends, Types and Applications, Forecast to... - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Global Automotive Intelligent Door System Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of almost 12% through 2020-2024|Growing Demand for... - August 4th, 2020
- Podcast: CLUECON SPECIAL FEATURE OrecX not only delivers top shelf stereo recording, but delivers a huge ecosystem of add on technology that may... - August 4th, 2020