Financial technology, or fintech, has experienced fantastic growth over the past decade, transforming the way many financial tasks have traditionally been accomplished. This ranges from banking apps and robo-advisors to commission-free trading and mobile payments. Searching for investments in rapidly growing sectors, such as fintech, can be a great way to produce market-beating returns.
For investors looking to juice their investment returns in 2020, here are three fintech companies that just might get the job done: Broadridge Financial Solutions (NYSE:BR), Global Payments (NYSE:GPN), and Square (NYSE:SQ). Let's take a closer look at each to see why I believe these stocks will provide great returns for investors in 2020 -- and beyond.
Fintech is changing the financial industry from the inside out. Image source: Getty Images.
Broadridge Financial delivers mission-critical services to asset managers, banks, brokers, and other financial industry players. Among the many necessary services the company provides are "investor communications, securities processing, data and analytics, and customer communications solutions." The company operates two business segments, Investor Communication Services (ICS) and Global Technology Operations (GTO).
ICS makes up the bulk of Broadridge's revenue, earning $3.5 billion in revenue in 2019, relatively flat compared to 2018's results, with $1.8 billion of this representing recurring revenue streams. This segment comprises the many platforms Broadridge provides to its clients, including ProxyEdge, an electronic proxy delivery and voting solution, and Matrix Financial Solutions, a mutual fund trade processing service. ICS also provides services to corporations that allow them to communicate with shareholders about annual meetings, financial reporting document management, and SEC disclosure and filing services.
GTO reported $954 million in recurring revenue in 2019, an approximate 5% increase year over year. As Broadridge's 10-K, its annual filing with the SEC, states, the GTO segment offers "advanced solutions that automate the securities transaction lifecycle, from desktop productivity tools, data aggregation, performance reporting, and portfolio management to order capture and execution, trade confirmation, margin, cash management, clearance and settlement, asset servicing, reference data management, reconciliations, securities financing and collateral optimization, compliance and regulatory reporting, and accounting."
Whew! These services allow asset managers to cost-effectively manage their books and records, allowing them to focus on their core competencies.
None of these services is sexy, but they are absolutely essential, meaning companies aren't going to stop paying for them during an economic downturn. Asset managers and financial institutions also face mountains of regulatory red tape over these types of communication and equity processing services, meaning they will think long and hard before switching from a proven vendor, such as Broadridge, to a competitor.
Broadridge is not for investors looking to get rich quick. Its revenue growth is lumpy and semidependent on the tuck-in acquisitions that management is prone to make. But the stock has outperformed the market over the trailing 10-, 5-, and 3-year periods, and I don't see any reason that outperformance is going to stop any time soon.
Global Payments' biggest event of the year was its acquisition of Total System Services for a cool $22.15 billion, the second-largest fintech acquisition ever. The deal combined one of the largest merchant processors, Global Payments, with one of the largest payment processors for card-issuing financial institutions, Total System. The combined company has already upped expectations for cost savings and revenue synergies the merger will recognize. It now expects to save $325 million annually and realize $125 million in revenue synergies within three years due to the combination. The acquisition creates a payments powerhouse that will process payments at more than 3.5 million merchant locations, facilitating 50 billion transactions per year, and recognize about $3.5 billion in adjusted EBITDA annually.
While payment processing is largely a commodity, Global Payments has managed to transform about 50% of its payments services into what it calls "technology-enabled solutions." Global Payments now owns eight industry-specific software verticals, and it's within these verticals that its payment processing services are embedded. These vertical software stacks make it much harder for customers to switch payment processing vendors in the future, giving them a lot more to consider than just price.
For instance, in August 2018, Global Payments acquired AdvancedMD for $700 million, a company that provides small- and medium-sized physician offices with cloud-based scheduling, billing, health record management, and payments solutions. Doctor offices that use AdvancedMD's software solutions would not want to swap out its entire back-office software just to switch to another payments vendor -- this comes with a high switching cost, something not usually associated with a commoditized service.
Square is another example of how a company innovated beyond basic payment processing to the point that it was offering much more than a commoditized service. When the company was founded, it offered a cool way for smaller merchants to accept card payments with a simple dongle that plugs into a mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet. While this was innovative at the time, it was soon copied by a host of other payment processing services. Fortunately for Square investors, the company has since built out an entire ecosystem around its payment processing services.
This ecosystem includes:
Once merchants subscribe to one or more of these solutions, they will think awfully hard before leaving for another payment processing provider. No business wants to disrupt their payroll service just to save a few bucks on facilitating payments.
Not only do these services make Square's ecosystem sticky, but they are also incredibly lucrative and growing at a rapid clip. Subscription- and services-based revenue, where these services are accounted for, grew to $280 million in 2019's third quarter, a 68% increase year over year, and gross profit from this segment rose 82% to $216 million. As long as Square continues to innovate around building out a comprehensive ecosystem for small businesses, it should continue to experience explosive growth, fueling market-beating returns for investors.
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020
- On The Bench Moves Swiftly to Support the HubSpot Business Ecosystem Putting its Commercial Activity on Hold in the Wake of Coronavirus Disruption -... - March 26th, 2020
- Certain Individual Fish Contribute Far More to Ecosystem Health than Others, Research Shows - Earth Island Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Investing in the Airport Ecosystem: Prospects and Risks - JD Supra - March 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down The Disinformation Ecosystem Around Coronavirus - Newsy - March 26th, 2020
- Duff & Phelps analyses impact of Covid-19 on the value of IPL ecosystem - Best Media Info - March 26th, 2020
- Jack Liu on how Bitcoin SV is changing the payments ecosystem - CoinGeek - March 26th, 2020
- Deepwater Horizon and the Rise of the Omics - Eos - March 26th, 2020
- Tracking app to thermal camera, Indian startup ecosystem is coming together to fight Covid 19 - Economic Times - March 26th, 2020
- Initiative to foster growth of Bangladeshs impact ecosystem launched - The Financial Express BD - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Conducts Its First Virtual "VIVE Ecosystem Conference" (VEC) fully in VR Allowing Global Attendees to Join Virtual Sessions - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2020
- Heres A Look Inside HTCs In-VR Vive Conference, Running This Week - UploadVR - March 21st, 2020
- Navigating the sustainability ecosystem - Recycling Today - March 21st, 2020
- [Startup Bharat] CrAdLE is mentoring entrepreneurs to grow the ecosystem in Gujarat - YourStory - March 21st, 2020
- UTEP partners with City Accelerator to provide insights on El Paso Minority Business Ecosystem - El Paso Herald-Post - March 21st, 2020
- Singapore Emerges as the "Food Tech Ecosystem" of Asia - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - March 21st, 2020
- IPL cancellation may lead to ecosystem value reducing by $700 mn to $1 bn: Duff & Phelps - TelevisionPost - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Just Hosted Is Vive Ecosystem Conference In Virtual Reality - Ubergizmo - March 21st, 2020
- Vietnams telco becomes latest member of i3forum dedicated to transforming the carrier ecosystem - Telemedia Online - March 21st, 2020
- W Energy Software's New Partner Ecosystem Accelerates Market Expansion and the Move from Legacy Solutions to the Cloud - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Will the Ecosystem Completely Change with Ethereum 2.0? - Crypto Daily - March 16th, 2020
- Pact inked to boost drone ecosystem - The Hindu - March 16th, 2020
- The Irish Banking Ecosystem, Interconnection and the Speed of Change - Finextra - March 16th, 2020
- The Impact of Automated Vehicles on the Transportation Ecosystem - MarketScale - March 16th, 2020
- Most Definitive & Accurate Study on The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies... - March 16th, 2020
- Trends driving the Thiamazole market in the digital ecosystem - 3rd Watch News - March 16th, 2020
- The road to the strategy on the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - UN Environment - March 4th, 2020
- Northern Ireland litter's threat to ecosystem revealed - Newry Times - March 4th, 2020
- The particularities of the African ecommerce ecosystem - The Paypers - March 4th, 2020
- The death of the Democratic Party ecosystem - Washington Examiner - March 4th, 2020
- Individual behavior drives ecosystem function and the impacts of harvest - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to test information ecosystem as misinformation goes viral - Macau Business - March 4th, 2020
- The function of fire in the ecosystem - The Community News - March 4th, 2020
- Global Asset Tracking Market 2020-2025: Insights Into Technologies, Solutions, and the Ecosystem Including Major Players - GlobeNewswire - March 4th, 2020
- Johnson fast-tracks bid to solve Australia's player pathway crisis - SBS - The World Game - March 4th, 2020
- New Research from Farnell Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Switzerland based AMNIS Partners with Ripple to Create an Ecosystem First - TWJ News - March 4th, 2020
- Help shape the strategy for the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - Landscape News - March 4th, 2020
- Binghamton University research highlights ecosystem problems, can it be managed? - WBNG-TV - March 4th, 2020
- Fishing targets the 'super-urinators' that ecosystems need - Futurity: Research News - March 4th, 2020
- Houston needs to overcome its lack of density to continue to develop as an innovation ecosystem, says expert - InnovationMap - March 4th, 2020
- Pulse42: Mumbai's Tech Ecosystem's Break From The Hustle To Unwind - Inc42 Media - March 4th, 2020
- Alt Code Bengaluru is bringing together the healthcare ecosystem to solve India's biggest challenge - healthca - YourStory - March 4th, 2020
- Senet and T-Systems Partner to Deliver Ready-to-Use IoT Solution Bundles - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Herring River project will revive long-afflicted estuary ecosystem - Cape Cod Times - February 18th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis of Electric Vehicle Ecosystem in the United Kingdom, 2018-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 18th, 2020
- Governor's grizzly council makes tracks to Libby City Hall this month - The Western News - February 18th, 2020
- Explained: Mobile App Architecture - The Basis of App Ecosystem - Appinventiv - February 18th, 2020
- Balance Your Own Ecosystem in the Great Board Game Ecosystem - Paste Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- What are Bhutan's sacred forests worth? - Forests News, Center for International Forestry Research - February 18th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services Assessment of the Prins Hendrik Zanddijk - Dredging Today - February 18th, 2020
- ConsenSys Grants funds third cohort of projects to benefit the Ethereum ecosystem - CryptoNinjas - February 18th, 2020
- OIF Members to Showcase Innovation and Interoperability Solutions for the Industrys Most Critical Challenges at OFC 2020 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- JPMorgan Dipping its Toes into the Ethereum Ecosystem Could Be Bullish for ETH - newsBTC - February 18th, 2020
- Regenerative farming: how farmers can make the transition - The Poultry Site - February 18th, 2020
- Announced the Addition of New Statistical Data Titled as Embedded Computing Ecosystem Market 2020 by Growth, Demand & Opportunities & Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Here's how a visiting venture capitalist explores Houston's startup ecosystem for the first time - InnovationMap - February 18th, 2020
- On Apple's revenue warningJim Cramer and others weigh in - CNBC - February 18th, 2020
- Floating Farms May Help Reinvent the World's Food Ecosystems - WIRED - February 18th, 2020
- Italian carmaker Maserati to invest USD 1.29 billion to build an electric ecosystem - The New Indian Express - February 18th, 2020
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020