The Paypers interviewed Sami Louali, EVP Financial Services at Jumia Group, to learn more about the particularities of the African ecommerce ecosystem
What is the story of Jumia and how do you differentiate among other online marketplaces?
Jumia is the leading African ecommerce platform, and we basically connect sellers and consumers of products and services across Africa. Jumia is built around a marketplace, a logistic platform, and a payment platform, JumiaPay. We started in 2012, in Nigeria, Egypt, Morocco, and South Africa, and the purpose was to enable businesses to increase their online sales. For that reason, we have created a set of digital tools to allow them to sell nationwide. Before, small shops, restaurants had a very local reach and now, thanks to technology and the tools that we provide, they can sell across the nation and expand their businesses.
Moreover, through our marketplace we sell a wide range of both physical (such as electronics, home and living products, fashion items) and digital (paying for TV subscription, air time, bills) goods and services. We also offer on demand services, with food delivery being one of the key ones that we provide. And I think we also stand out among online marketplaces because we are solely focusing on Africa.
Since we are operating only in this region, we understand the unique characteristics of the African market, of the different countries, and thats what we have been focusing on over the past seven years. Therefore, we are really adapting to the local context.
How would you characterise the African ecommerce ecosystem and what impact do online marketplaces have on the African economy overall?
One of the main characteristics of the African ecommerce ecosystem is its freshness because it all started seven or eight years ago. It is a nascent ecosystem, so we are creating the market; and when we started doing this, we noticed that there was an inherited infrastructure that was not fully adapted to ecommerce. Therefore, we need to constantly be innovative and create solutions that can fill in this gap. The environment is quite challenging when it comes to payments and trust as well, so we continuously build this trust and aim to accelerate the shift from offline retail to online retail.
In Africa, the penetration of ecommerce as a percentage of the total retail market is approximately 1%, while this number is probably 13 or 14% in the US, and more than 20% in China so we are still at the very beginning of the journey and the potential is huge. However, when the ecosystem starts to be ready (when we have a payment ecosystem, when we can process payments, when there is a strong supply chain), then it can really take off. And I think we are reaching that point in Africa, with many of the markets really starting to be ready for ecommerce.
Besides actively building this ecosystem, another impact Jumia has on the African economy overall is the fact that we are creating thousands of jobs, both direct and indirect jobs, in all the countries in which we are present. In addition, we are creating new business opportunities for local entrepreneurs and businesses.
When it comes to cross-border ecommerce, what are the main challenges for African merchants trying to sell their products and services across borders?
Right now, the main challenges for cross-border ecommerce within Africa are probably the logistics costs, as well as the taxes, customs duties, and the regulations, which make it difficult for most countries to trade across borders. However, there is the African Continental Free Trade Area that is being implemented. And even if today a Kenyan seller cannot export to Algeria or Morocco because of the costs, I think in the next five or ten years this will be possible and it will open a huge opportunity for all businesses in Africa. The good thing with respect to our footprint is that Jumia will be greatly positioned to serve these needs because we have thousands of businesses selling in each market. Therefore, Jumia will be the platform that businesses will use to enhance their cross-border ecommerce strategy. And even if this is still the very beginning and a lot of changes with respect to the regulation and the trade market must happen, the signals that the authorities are sending are very positive.
How do you see the future of online marketplaces in Africa?
All the innovative platforms, like Jumia and many other players, will keep on empowering small businesses and consumers. Even if we are still at the very beginning of the journey when it comes to the penetration rate of ecommerce, the potential is huge, and there is no reason why it would all decelerate at some point and stop progressing. Therefore, I think the share of ecommerce will boom and it will most probably go even faster than it did in developed markets such as Europe or the US. This is because of the high rate of mobile phone penetration, with more customers now upgrading to a smartphone as a result of the progressive decrease of the average price of a smartphone. The cost of data is also reducing very fast: there are more players in the telco industry and the usage of data is rapidly growing, thus driving cost down. Not to mention that the population is very young and prone to use digital technologies this is another driver that will accelerate the penetration of ecommerce.
Additionally, Africa will keep attracting new entrepreneurs and I think that there will be more and more investors as well. We have many new venture capital firms investing in Africa, and this is a recent, positive trend for the ecommerce ecosystem.
All in all, we are very committed to changing the face of African ecommerce and I think the odds are in our favour.
This interview was first published in ourCross-Border Payments and Commerce Report 2019 2020, which provides a comprehensive overview of the major trends driving growth in cross-border payments, cross-border commerce, andmarketplaces.
About Sami Louali
Sami joined Jumia since its launch in 2012, where he served as co-CEO of Jumia Morocco, co-MD of Jumia Marketplace, and most recently as EVP Strategy & Investor Relations. Sami is a French-Moroccan national with a Master of Science from cole Nationale des Ponts et Chausses in Paris, and an MBA from Collge des Ingnieurs in Paris.
- An Entrepreneurial Ecosystem on the Rise - Babson Thought & Action - May 31st, 2020
- Poaching in Indonesia's biodiverse Leuser Ecosystem on the rise amid COVID-19 - Mongabay.com - May 31st, 2020
- Anchoviesand Their PredatorsHelp Researcher Solve Ecosystem Mysteries - The Pew Charitable Trusts - May 31st, 2020
- How EcoMotion evolved from 'unconference' to ecosystem - Automotive News - May 31st, 2020
- Weeds get a bad rap, but many are crucial to the ecosystem - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2020
- driverplus Joins the Automate with Velodyne Ecosystem - The Auto Channel - May 31st, 2020
- Idriverplus Joins the "Automate with Velodyne" Ecosystem - Financial Post - May 31st, 2020
- Smart Command plumbing eco-system expanded to deliver greater insight into bathroom water usage - Architecture AU - May 31st, 2020
- LabCorp Accelerates Adoption of Decentralized Clinical Trials, Expands Technology Ecosystem Through Alliance With Medable - Business Wire - May 31st, 2020
- Ecosystem thinking is the path to future growth - AV Magazine - May 31st, 2020
- ForgeRock supports Telkomsel to secure its customer identities and power digital ecosystem ambitions - GlobeNewswire - May 31st, 2020
- lucy zakharova + ted lu design ocean capsules to help restore the aquatic ecosystem - Designboom - May 31st, 2020
- 5G Wireless Ecosystem Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 31st, 2020
- AI in BFSI Ecosystem Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - WaterCloud News - May 31st, 2020
- 'Regenerative agriculture could reduce volatility in the feed system' - FeedNavigator.com - May 31st, 2020
- ICSB event on Covid19 and its impact - The Financial Express - May 31st, 2020
- Need to monitor Chinas role in Indian ecosystem - The Tribune India - May 15th, 2020
- Sharp and the 8K Ecosystem - Display Daily - May 15th, 2020
- Huawei Partners With Carmakers to Build 5G-Enabled Automobile Ecosystem - Caixin Global - May 15th, 2020
- Cyberbank Group Expand New Cloud-Based Digital Asset Solutions - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Key drivers changing the banking ecosystem landscape - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - May 15th, 2020
- Articles - The power of the ecosystem - Actuarial Post - May 15th, 2020
- Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Atari Teams Up with Arkane Network to Integrate the Atari Token Across Digital Entertainment Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 15th, 2020
- Microsoft announces definitive agreement to acquire Metaswitch Networks, expanding approach to empower operators and partner with network equipment... - May 15th, 2020
- Privacy And Information Are The New Cloud Currency And Google Owns The Mint - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on the World's Cybersecurity Industry, Major Verticals, Regions and Key Vendors (2019-2021): Optimistic/as-is/Pessimistic Scenarios... - May 15th, 2020
- Is Ethereum 2.0 really the next big wave in the crypto-ecosystem? - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Review of Facing the Anthropocene: Fossil Capitalism and the Crisis of the Earth System - Resilience - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Hellish reality of modern information ecosystem presents particular danger during pandemic - CNN - May 11th, 2020
- MOXY Is A Non-Partisan Online Ecosystem To Inform And Engage You In Politics - Android Headlines - May 11th, 2020
- Humio Joins the IBM Edge Ecosystem to Bring Real-Time Insights to Organizations Deploying Edge Computing - DevOps.com - May 11th, 2020
- Square Still Represents a Very Attractive Investment - TheStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Pakistan is one of the fastest emerging startup ecosystem in Asia, McKinsey & Co - Technology Times Pakistan - May 11th, 2020
- Revealed: Plants Molecular Alarm System That Protects Them From Predators - SciTechDaily - May 11th, 2020
- The Rise of the Modern Tech Ecosystem | Sponsored Content | Tech-Talk Webinar, On-Demand - eMarketer - April 26th, 2020
- UAE- Formula One paying teams to protect 'ecosystem' - MENAFN.COM - April 26th, 2020
- How Facebook is logging into the Reliance Jio ecosystem - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- Interactive Graphic: Salafi Jihadi Ecosystem In The Sahel - Critical Threats Project - April 26th, 2020
- What will it take for the micro-entrepreneurial ecosystem to survive the crisis that has been amplified by COV - YourStory - April 26th, 2020
- The federal IT service provider of Germany relies on Cloudogu EcoSystem - PR Web - April 26th, 2020
- Treehouse Village overnights available this summer at Metroparks Toledos Oak Openings Preserve - cleveland.com - April 26th, 2020
- Apple Pay outage preventing some users from paying their Apple Card bill and more - 9to5Mac - April 26th, 2020
- Why Cash App Can Drive Square's Valuation Much Higher - Seeking Alpha - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 has positive impact on Thailand's ecosystem - Pattaya Mail - April 26th, 2020
- Pasadenas mayor reflects on the pandemics strictures - The Pasadena Star-News - April 26th, 2020
- One in 3 death certificates were wrong before coronavirus. It's about to get even worse. - USA TODAY - April 26th, 2020
- RT-Thread RTOS Creates a New Model of the Real-Time Operating System - IT News Online - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Global Industrial Robotics Market - Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 10.4% During 2020-2025; Down by ~3% on the Pre-COVID-19... - April 26th, 2020
- The Extinction Crisis Devastating San Francisco Bay - The Nation - April 26th, 2020
- How Coronavirus Is Impacting The SDN, NFV & Network Virtualization Ecosystem: 2017 2030 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Education Ecosystem with Unified Technology Market Countries Analysis Report 2020 by Industry Size, Share, Growth Rate and Revenue - Latest Herald - April 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research Report prospects the HetNet Ecosystem Market - Jewish Life News - April 26th, 2020
- The Coming Ecosystem Collapse Is Already Here for Coral - The New Republic - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Linked to Destruction of Wildlife and World's Ecosystems - EcoWatch - April 17th, 2020
- A new venture studio is aiming to foster the development of the Algorand ecosystem - CryptoSlate - April 17th, 2020
- Ethereum Tops DApp Ecosystem in Q1 Followed by Tron and EOS: DappRadar Report - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - April 17th, 2020
- New report reveals a growing and diverse VR/AR ecosystem in B.C., but challenges loom - BCBusiness - April 17th, 2020
- Meet the businesses collaborating for the good of the SME ecosystem | News - Speciality Food - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic will hit the tech startup ecosystem hard but there is hope - SiliconANGLE - April 2nd, 2020
- Hardware Threats to an IoT Ecosystem - IoT For All - April 2nd, 2020
- Mozilla to extend Coil support in the Firefox Reality ecosystem - Neowin - April 2nd, 2020
- Secure Technology Alliance Publishes White Paper on Mobile Driver's Licenses and Emerging Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - April 2nd, 2020
- Plague is a significant source of mortality in pumas in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - Outbreak News Today - April 2nd, 2020
- How to EcoSystem-ize Your PCs & Laptops to Reduce Carbon Footprint and Boost Productivity - News & Features - April 2nd, 2020
- In Other Waters review - PC Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- The startup ecosystem gets its ACT together, sets up fund to help fight COVID-19 - Moneycontrol - April 2nd, 2020
- Mobile accessory brand juice creates its own global ecosystem - Packaging News - April 2nd, 2020
- Paradigm Is Biggest Winner of MakerDAO Lending Systems MKR Governance Tokens, to Cover $4.5 Million of Undercollaterized Debt - Crowdfund Insider - April 2nd, 2020
- CSP Cloud-native Technology Adoption & K8s Ecosystem Report 2020 - CSPs' 5G Success Will Depend on Having a Low-Cost, Fast-to-Deploy and Scalable... - April 2nd, 2020
- AUSABLE WATER WISE: Ecosystem engineers of the river channel | News, Sports, Jobs - Lake Placid News - April 2nd, 2020
- Rebooting The Global Economy After Coronavirus: Physical Scarcity To Digital Abundance - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Ecosystem Healthier than 2014 and BitMEX Research Explains Why - U.Today - April 2nd, 2020
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020