By Kathleen J. Sullivan
At its Oct. 13-15 meeting, Stanfords Board of Trustees heard an annual report from President Marc Tessier-Lavigne, discussed the universitys research ecosystem and heard a presentation on sustainability solutions from the dean of the School of Earth, Energy and Environmental Sciences.
Trustees also discussed investment responsibility, received a briefing on the 2019 AAU Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Misconduct at Stanford, and heard an update on the universitys application for a General Use Permit. They also honored departing trustee Ram Shriram.
Jeffrey S. Raikes, chair of the board, led the board meeting, which was the first of the 2019-2020 academic year.
In his annual report to the board, Tessier-Lavigne reviewed Stanfords accomplishments of the last academic year and also looked forward, in particular through the lens of the university vision that has been developed through the long-range planning process.
The vision, which Tessier-Lavigne launched last spring, involves a set of initiatives that are now in various stages of development in the schools and across the campus.
The president summarized the vision with the quote: Fueled by optimism, ingenuity and a sense of responsibility, we seek to have a meaningful impact on the world.
I like that framing of the vision because it both sets a tone of where Stanford is going, but also links back to the original vision that Jane Stanford had for the university, Raikes said. He articulated how one piece of the vision has to do with supporting the university community because that is obviously foundational to the vision, but a key part, of course, is the academic vision how we see research and teaching evolving in the coming years.
Raikes said Tessier-Lavigne framed the academic vision with two very important themes: Accelerating Impact and Transforming Education.
Under the Accelerating Impact theme, the university has initiatives focused on empowering discovery and creativity; accelerating solutions for our planet, our health and society; and embedding ethics in innovation.
Under Transforming Education, the university has initiatives focused on renewing liberal education at Stanford and advancing the science of learning and development for all students, both here at Stanford and in the broader world.
We continue to be excited about the vision of accelerating impact and transforming education, Raikes said. The Board of Trustees will be engaged on an ongoing basis, both as the initiatives are being built out and also as we look ahead to a campaign that will raise the financial resources to support a number of them.
Trustees heard two presentations on the universitys research ecosystem.
As part of his presentation, Tessier-Lavigne underscored the importance of investing in research and in mobilizing the government, the private sector and the academy to continue advancing knowledge and innovation. He also underscored the importance of the international exchange of people and ideas in the development of new knowledge, and the importance of the international members of the Stanford community.
Trustees also heard a report from Kathryn Kam Moler, vice provost and dean of research, who elaborated on those themes in her presentation. She provided an overview of the scope of the research ecosystem at Stanford, how its organized and what she sees as the universitys opportunities.
Moler noted that Stanford faculty continue to be very competitive for funding from external resources.
Jeffrey S. Raikes, chair of the Board of Trustees (Image credit: Aaron Kehoe)
Stanford has a very strong tradition of research collaboration across departments in interdisciplinary activity, Raikes said. But one of the points Kam made was that to really address some of the key questions of our time, were going to have to have even larger, more diverse and more flexible research teams.
Moler also emphasized the importance of weaving data science into the universitys fabric by providing the tools and skills for data-driven research, because scholars in virtually every field today are using data and data science in ways that were never before thought possible. An important part of the universitys long-range vision is providing the flexible resources and platforms that Stanfords scholars need, she told the board.
Moler emphasized that over the last 20 years, Stanford has lowered barriers across organizations by creating institutes and other opportunities to collaborate. She told trustees that Stanford can further transform its research ecosystem by lowering the barriers for individuals to collaborate with each other, and to access the state-of-the-art resources that they need.
It was a great presentation that really helped all of the trustees get a strong sense of the research ecosystem, Raikes said.
Stephan Graham, dean of Stanford Earth, told trustees that Stanford faculty are developing an approach to accelerating solutions for sustainability that emphasizes both the basic knowledge needed for fundamental advances, as well as action pathways with partners to get those solutions out into the world.
He also told trustees that Stanford envisions sustainability as a vibrant thread that runs through each students time at Stanford in the curriculum and in the campus experience.
While some of the research is long term in nature, Raikes emphasized that Stanford faculty are committed to accelerating efforts in the short term.
Graham discussed some of the areas where Stanford faculty believe they can tackle fundamental scientific advances that can then be applied at scale around the world:
Graham and the trustees also discussed how to more effectively bring all of Stanfords assets to bear on the problem, including faculty, laboratories, shared facilities, graduate students, research projects and undergraduate students.
There was a strong round of applause from the trustees as we heard about these exciting efforts which are critical to our planet, Raikes said.
In a new video, Stanford Climate Solutions, faculty describe how they are looking at climate change from multiple angles to limit impacts and to adapt when necessary.
Raikes said the boards Special Committee on Investment Responsibility has set up a task force to consider the request for review from Fossil Free Stanford, a student organization, to divest from oil and gas companies.
The task force, consisting of several members of the special committee, will engage with students involved in Fossil Free Stanford and others in the university community to listen and to understand the underpinning of the divestment proposal more deeply.
The special committee is proceeding based on the new Ethical Investment Framework issued by Stanford Management Company (SMC) and an updatedStatement on Investment Responsibility, which were both approved by the board last year.
Raikes said the task force will take steps to reach out to students and to the Stanford community during fall quarter.
Raikes said trustees received a briefing from Provost Persis Drell and Brian Cook, director of assessment and program evaluation in the Office of Institutional Research and Decision Support at Stanford, on the results of the Association of American Universities (AAU) 2019 Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Misconduct at Stanford, which was released Oct. 15.
I want to echo what Provost Persis Drell said, which is the survey clearly indicates that we and other universities have a long way to go in creating the kind of campus culture that we aspire to have at Stanford, Raikes said. Sexual assault and sexual harassment need urgent attention, and they need the attention of both the institution and everyone as individuals in the university community.
Drell also outlined some of the initial action steps the university will take to address the critical issues identified in the report. She also identified the steps in an Oct. 15 letter to the Stanford community.
We certainly cant be satisfied with our past efforts, and we cant rely on any single effort to make a difference, Raikes said. Its going to be many things together that are going to help us make progress. Its a very, very important issue and I was very pleased that it was a very open and transparent discussion on the things that need to be improved.
Trustees also received a briefing on Stanfords application for a General Use Permit, which would govern land use on Stanfords lands in unincorporated Santa Clara County over roughly the next two decades.
The proposed permit includes provisions for new academic facilities, provisions for new housing and measures that are important to neighboring communities, including traffic mitigation and environmental conservation. The Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors recently began holding hearings on the permit application.
Raikes said Stanford leadership has put together a responsible plan for gradual development over the next 20 years that supports the universitys academic mission and adds much-needed housing.
Were hopeful for a positive resolution that advances our academic mission and is also good for the people and communities of this region, he said.
The trustees honored board member Ram Shriram, who is departing after 10 years of service on the board, with a dinner recognizing his generosity and service.
Raikes said that Shriram has served on a range of advisory boards and councils across the university. He was also involved in the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program from the outset, and he and his wife, Vijay, endowed the programs directorship. Raikes noted that the Shriram Center for Bioengineering & Chemical Engineering and the Shriram Chair in the Department of Bioengineering bear their name.
Raikes worked closely with Shriram as a vice chair of the Board of Trustees.
Ram has brought an acute sense of strategy and a skill for being able to ask the right, thoughtful, penetrating question in order to aid the deliberations of the board, he said. Our real responsibility is oftentimes to be good thought partners with university leadership. Ram exemplifies how trustees can be effective in that thought partnership.
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Ten Predictions On The Future Of Work, VC And The Tech Ecosystem For 2020 And Beyond - Forbes - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019
- Vermont Futures Project recommends strengthening the innovation ecosystem - Vermont Biz - October 24th, 2019
- Android 9 was installed on less than a quarter of the ecosystem as Android 10 launched - The Verge - October 24th, 2019
- Leave those fall leaves for a nicer lawn and a healthier ecosystem - Greater Greater Washington - October 24th, 2019
- Innovation and safety: creating a safer road transport ecosystem - Intelligent Transport - October 24th, 2019
- Inmar Expands Innovator Ecosystem with Acquisition of Digitus Solutions - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Plasan Introduces the StreetDrone Open Autonomy Platform to Israel - Army Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Investing In The Nonprofit Ecosystem - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- 35 New Integration Partners Join Thriving Clio App Ecosystem - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Trump Wants Loggers to Tear Through This Pristine Forest. If It Happens, the Ecosystem Will Be in Chaos. - Mother Jones - October 24th, 2019
- Treating the IT Ecosystem as an Actual Ecosystem - MarketScale Industries - October 24th, 2019
- Identity and Access Management for Healthcare getting it right to support clinical workflows Part Two - HealthLeaders Media - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding Startup Investment Dynamics Within The Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding the Decentralized Finance Ecosystem: Part 2 Top DeFi Projects - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - October 24th, 2019
- Indian startups have raised a record $11.3B this year - TechCrunch - October 24th, 2019
- Global Access Control Ecosystem, 2019 | 5 Year Forecasts of Unit Sales & Revenues for Smart Door Locks, Video Doorbells, and Smart Garage Door... - October 24th, 2019
- Restoration Agriculture: A New Approach to Growing Food - WCAI - October 24th, 2019
- Yurok Tribes Connection to Klamath River Weakens as Ecosystem Declines - The LumberJack - October 24th, 2019
- For the love of learning: Moglix boss is a fan of NYC's startup ecosystem, LA's diversity - Economic Times - October 24th, 2019
- The Value Of Pollinators To The Ecosystem And Our Economy - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Op-ed | The space industry: A closer look at the new ecosystem - SpaceNews - October 16th, 2019
- Merged Mining in Bitcoin: Contributing to Sustainability on the Bitcoin ecosystem - Equities.com - October 16th, 2019
- China has built 'massive global data-collection ecosystem' to boost its interests - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- SoftAtHome Welcomes Aerial Technologies to Software Ecosystem to Accelerate Innovation in the Digital Home - Multichannel News - October 16th, 2019
- Biopharma Leaders to Discuss and Share Insights on the Regional Biopharma Ecosystem at LeadingBiotech's NY/NJ CEO Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Huawei, HKT, and GSA Jointly Release the Indoor 5G Scenario Oriented White Paper at 2019 MBBF - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- Ecosystem creation vital ahead of 5G Orange SVP - Mobile World Live - October 16th, 2019
- Zoomtopia 2019 Showcases Expanded Unified Communications Platform and Ecosystem, and New Technologies to Empower Communications - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Is Cyberthreat-Free Ecosystem A Soon-To-Be-Reality? - CIO Applications - October 16th, 2019