One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. Those immortal words belong to history. But in the long story of human evolution, 50 years is only the blink of an eye, hardly of import when measured against the rhythm of civilizations.
Fifty years is significant when measured in a human life span, affecting our ability to appreciate events; immersed in the day to day struggle of doing we easily can lose sight of the path we travel. Since Sputnik first launched and man set foot on the moon, the changes, evolution and expansion of human activities in space has been rapid and momentous. It is important to understand the trajectory we are on as we tackle the challenges in front of us and create our future.
The dynamic setting our course is the fundamental expansion of human experience, both in terms of actual humans and surrogate devices, our amazing exploration machines, off the planet and out into our solar system and the greater universe around us. Those who speak of space as the new frontier are touching upon the correct paradigm. Initially, the sole provenance of governments, the only entities that could afford to invest in complex, risky endeavors that had no basis in profit generation, space was unchartered territory.
As experience, knowledge and technological innovation amassed and quickly disseminated throughout the globe, the breadth and depth of space activities also expanded.
Today, in a relatively few decades, our bubble of human experience now encompasses a rich ecosystem of government entities, commercial/private sector actors and even areas of academia.
The boundary of the new frontier, once defined by merely escaping the planet, is being extended further outward beyond low Earth orbit.
But instead of journeying alone, as was necessary in the early years, government activities can be augmented by a wide array of existing and growing capabilities being developed in the private sector.
In low Earth orbit, we are striving to create an economic zone of activity that is not reliant solely on a government customer but is just one of many consumers.
This natural transition, as our frontier expands away from Earth, where low Earth orbit is no longer the single domain of government, but one where private enterprise is healthy and robust, is a daunting task. Times of transition always arebut it is one that we can achieve if we work collaboratively and comprehensively through the issues as a community.
But the definition of the community must expand. Those of us in the space industry have to readjust our thoughts about what encompasses the space industry. Just like the first pioneers who crossed the western plains of the United States looking for new places to settle, space for us has been an alien place; something we have had to wrestle, conquer, and with great fortitude plan to engage with.
However, for those multitudes that followed that first wave of pioneers across the vast western United States., traveling on established wagon tracks, stopping in small outposts for directions, provisions and a slice of semi-civilization, the trip, while certainly challenging and not without risk, was if not quite normal, certainly not exotic. And that is the same shift taking place in human engagement in space, especially with respect to low Earth orbit.
It is time for us, the traditional space community, to recognize that a wider community has shed the mythology and thinks about space as merely another place to do business; as an environment similar to a desert, the ocean, a large city, where people want to come and do something. Its hard to make such a huge mental shift for those of us still wrestling with the challenges of the frontier beyond low Earth orbit that remain the same, but the shift that is already taking place not only in the communities around us but also in the space workforce.
There are people entering the workforce today for whom it is normal that people live and work in space on a full-time basis. Think about thatit is taken for granted that people live and work in space. Which such a formative norm, the leap to expanding the type and number of people who live and work in space, expanding the use of space, expanding the breadth of people who want to take advantage of space is not really a giant leap for mankind but just another small step for man.
That is not to dismiss the fact that space is still very risky nor that we still have much to learn, but simply that the mental paradigm has shifted and will continue to move inexorably forward out into the solar system.
Consequently, it is not surprising, given the dynamic process of expansion occurring that today a broader group of people, outside of the traditional space community, have expressed interest, made investments, and are exploring ways to utilize space. It is actually quite astounding the amount of creative energy targeted at space for the last decade.
New entrants are proposing everything from space hotels, human transportation systems, man-tended laboratories, in-space manufacturing, energy harvesting, asteroid mining, fueling depots, Earth imagery, small satellite constellation-based internet services and the list goes on.
Accompanying the proposals is a separate but related collection of companies created to offer services from communication technologies, sensor platforms, training programs, propulsion technologies, specialized launch services and so on; another huge ecosystem of entrepreneurial activity. Not to be outdone, traditional space companies are also innovating leveraging years of experience to take advantage of the broad interest that has erupted around space. Clearly not every project or idea will be successful, and many will likely underestimate the risks, both financial and technological, after all we all know that space is hard, but the momentum of human expansion is taking us into this new frontier and thus we will go.
The question then becomes how to manage the evolving of such a diverse, dynamic ecosystem of space participants to achieve our collective goals? In addition to the traditional space community of engineers, scientists, technicians, and government agents we must add lawyers, entrepreneurs, investors of all stripes, insurance companies, standards organizations, university professors and their students, small business, artists, and entertainers, just to name a few.
In the past the space industry has been accused of talking to itself and now we have to learn how to reach out and engage with a much more diverse community with a myriad different agendas, concerns and motivations. Complicating the situation is the fact that the transition discussed here is taking place globally. Thus, the need for constant communication and open discourse becomes vital.
There are a multitude of topics that require discussion, coordination and education across the burgeoning ecosystem that include: identifying appropriate regulations and standards, establishing liability and applicable tenets of space law, how to develop business plans and secure funding, how to manage the space environment given increased activity, defining rules of conduct on orbit for both people and machines, the integration of air and space traffic into a manageable global system, and the dynamics of supply and demand in a frontier environment are just a few.
To complicate matters even further, all of the above issues are interwoven and cannot readily be addressed in total isolation.
The time is ripe for a platform which convenes the entire global ecosystem, not just the Aerospace industry, with the aim of facilitating the necessary conversations, targeting outcomes and tracking resolution of critical issues. Working together, coherently as a broad community of interest in space, we can succeed.
Sandra Magnus is the deputy director for engineering within the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering and is a guiding coalition member of Ascend. She was formerly the executive director of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and served in the NASA Astronaut Corps. The views expressed here are those of the author and do not reflect the official position of the Department of Defense or the U.S. government.
This article originally appeared in the Oct. 7, 2019 issue of SpaceNews magazine.
Read the original:
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020
- THE CONNECTIVITY B2B ECOSYSTEM: How 5G and next-gen networks are transforming the role telecoms play in enterp - Business Insider India - January 2nd, 2020
- Looking back at the Indian startup ecosystem in 2019 - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: Key Milestones That Indian Startup Ecosystem Achieved This Year - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi Partner to Bring New Wireless File Transfer System to Global Consumers - PRNewswire - January 2nd, 2020
- Bringing start-ups and corporates together to foster maritime innovation - Riviera Maritime Media - January 2nd, 2020
- Regional disparities in the Indian innovation ecosystem - Forbes India - January 2nd, 2020
- Fixing the rot in Indias financial ecosystem - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2020
- The inside story of the AppStore, Salesforces Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs - 9to5Mac - January 2nd, 2020
- 2019 In Review: The Best Of Inc42 - Inc42 Media - January 2nd, 2020
- For 2020, Cross River Bank Says It Will Increase Collaboration to Grow New Jersey's Fintech Ecosystem - njtechweekly.com - January 2nd, 2020
- As healthcare moves to the home, CISOs can't be 'Dr. No' - MobiHealthNews - January 2nd, 2020
- The story of why Marc Benioff gifted the AppStore.com domain to Steve Jobs - TechCrunch - January 2nd, 2020
- NBCs Ben Collins to Chris Hayes: Trump Retweets Shady Accounts Because He Listens to Alternate Ecosystem Where Hes God Emperor - Mediaite - January 2nd, 2020
- The moon and Earths ecosystem - OrissaPOST - January 2nd, 2020
- Frontline Systems Launches Analytic Solver V2020: Tool for Analytics-Powered Decision Models in the Microsoft Ecosystem - PR Web - January 2nd, 2020
- Time to stop playing with acronyms and create vibrant eco system in North East - Economic Times - December 21st, 2019
- What You Can Do to Build an Innovative Ecosystem - CMSWire - December 21st, 2019
- TrueFort Expands Fortified Ecosystem with Infoblox and Others - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- Driving up the value of AI starts with building an ecosystem - CIO Dive - December 21st, 2019
- OKEx Research: Ecosystem, and Innovative Products - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- The Unter-class is the Whole Ecosystem - Fairplanet - December 21st, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 21st, 2019
- Dotscience Gains Momentum in the MLOps Ecosystem and Accelerates Deployment of Machine Learning Models into Production with New Technology... - December 21st, 2019
- Rakshit Shetty talks about 'Avane Srimannarayana' and the eco-system that enables his work - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Are Apple Macs worth the money? - scallywagandvagabond - December 21st, 2019
- Silicon Labs and Z-Wave Alliance Expand Smart Home Ecosystem by Opening Z-Wave to Silicon and Stack Suppliers - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2019
- Transforming the insurance sector to an Open API Ecosystem - Finextra - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Issues New Blow To Google With This Bold Security Move - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Why the $52K Mac Pro is important for everyone who cares about the survival of the Mac ecosystem - ZDNet - December 21st, 2019
- The Top 3 Fintech Stocks to Buy in 2020 - Motley Fool - December 21st, 2019
- GW addresses report recommendations to improve research - GW Hatchet - December 21st, 2019
- Hyundai teases flying car concept ahead of CES - Autoblog - December 21st, 2019
- N.S. won't protect land with 'globally rare' ecosystem that company eyes for golf resort - CBC.ca - December 21st, 2019
- OPPO announces three initiatives to co-build new intelligent service ecosystem with developers & partners - United News of India - December 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem | Definition of Ecosystem by Merriam-Webster - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2019
- Has Arm Discovered the Ecosystem Keys? - The Next Platform - November 21st, 2019
- Integrating Global Seagrass and Mangrove Ecosystem Observations - Eos - November 21st, 2019
- The collapse of the information ecosystem poses profound risks for humanity - The Guardian - November 21st, 2019
- Dreamforce 2019: Salesforce Outlines Initiatives To Ignite Ecosystem Growth - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Ten Predictions On The Future Of Work, VC And The Tech Ecosystem For 2020 And Beyond - Forbes - November 21st, 2019
- Galt Earth Day: Lucero Farms partners with the ecosystem - The Galt Herald - November 21st, 2019
- Why Your Organization Needs an Innovation Ecosystem - Harvard Business Review - November 21st, 2019
- Ecosystem Kickstarter is a cardboard structure that fights soil erosion - Dezeen - November 21st, 2019
- Sapiens Expands Its Partnership Ecosystem With Lightico to Enhance Digital Customer Interactions for the Insurance Market - MarTech Series - November 21st, 2019
- How human and animal excrement harm the planet's ecosystem - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 21st, 2019
- Working in Partnership to Power the News Ecosystem - Reuters - November 21st, 2019
- Mellanox, JVP To Develop Haifa's Tech And Innovation Ecosystem With $14M Investment | Technology News - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - November 21st, 2019
- Oracle's Aubrey Hawes on Open Banking and ecosystem building - Tearsheet - November 21st, 2019
- Vermont Futures Project recommends strengthening the innovation ecosystem - Vermont Biz - October 24th, 2019
- Android 9 was installed on less than a quarter of the ecosystem as Android 10 launched - The Verge - October 24th, 2019
- Leave those fall leaves for a nicer lawn and a healthier ecosystem - Greater Greater Washington - October 24th, 2019
- Innovation and safety: creating a safer road transport ecosystem - Intelligent Transport - October 24th, 2019
- Inmar Expands Innovator Ecosystem with Acquisition of Digitus Solutions - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Plasan Introduces the StreetDrone Open Autonomy Platform to Israel - Army Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Investing In The Nonprofit Ecosystem - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- 35 New Integration Partners Join Thriving Clio App Ecosystem - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Trump Wants Loggers to Tear Through This Pristine Forest. If It Happens, the Ecosystem Will Be in Chaos. - Mother Jones - October 24th, 2019
- Treating the IT Ecosystem as an Actual Ecosystem - MarketScale Industries - October 24th, 2019
- Identity and Access Management for Healthcare getting it right to support clinical workflows Part Two - HealthLeaders Media - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding Startup Investment Dynamics Within The Logistics Ecosystem - Benzinga - October 24th, 2019
- Understanding the Decentralized Finance Ecosystem: Part 2 Top DeFi Projects - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - October 24th, 2019
- Indian startups have raised a record $11.3B this year - TechCrunch - October 24th, 2019
- Global Access Control Ecosystem, 2019 | 5 Year Forecasts of Unit Sales & Revenues for Smart Door Locks, Video Doorbells, and Smart Garage Door... - October 24th, 2019
- Restoration Agriculture: A New Approach to Growing Food - WCAI - October 24th, 2019
- Yurok Tribes Connection to Klamath River Weakens as Ecosystem Declines - The LumberJack - October 24th, 2019
- For the love of learning: Moglix boss is a fan of NYC's startup ecosystem, LA's diversity - Economic Times - October 24th, 2019
- The Value Of Pollinators To The Ecosystem And Our Economy - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Stanford trustees hear annual report from president, discuss the university's research ecosystem, sustainability solutions - Stanford University News - October 16th, 2019
- Merged Mining in Bitcoin: Contributing to Sustainability on the Bitcoin ecosystem - Equities.com - October 16th, 2019
- China has built 'massive global data-collection ecosystem' to boost its interests - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- SoftAtHome Welcomes Aerial Technologies to Software Ecosystem to Accelerate Innovation in the Digital Home - Multichannel News - October 16th, 2019
- Biopharma Leaders to Discuss and Share Insights on the Regional Biopharma Ecosystem at LeadingBiotech's NY/NJ CEO Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Huawei, HKT, and GSA Jointly Release the Indoor 5G Scenario Oriented White Paper at 2019 MBBF - GlobeNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- Ecosystem creation vital ahead of 5G Orange SVP - Mobile World Live - October 16th, 2019
- Zoomtopia 2019 Showcases Expanded Unified Communications Platform and Ecosystem, and New Technologies to Empower Communications - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Is Cyberthreat-Free Ecosystem A Soon-To-Be-Reality? - CIO Applications - October 16th, 2019