YouTubeGordon Sondland's family includes two kids and a wife.
Gordon Sondland, Donald Trumps ambassador to the EU, is a hotelier from the west coast who is the son of parents who escaped the Nazis. He has two children and is married to Katherine Durant, who runs an investment company and with whom hes been described as a power couple.
Sondland is a long-time Republican donor, businessman, and philanthropist (who has at times donated to Democrats) and who has ties to the campaigns of George W. Bush, Jeb Bush, and Mitt Romney. Hes been mixed on Trump over the years, but he did give the presidents inaugural committee $1 million through various companies, and hes now found himself in the midst of the impeachment inquiry.
Sondland attorney, Robert Luskin, told CBS News, Sondland believes strongly that he acted at all times in the best interests of the United States, and he stands ready to answer the Committees questions fully and truthfully.
A video biography created when Sondland became ambassador highlighted his wife and kids:
VideoVideo related to gordon sondlands family: 5 fast facts you need toknow2019-11-20T09:20:19-05:00
Heres what you need to know about Sondlands Family:
Gordon Sondland, the United States Ambassador to the European Union, addresses the media during a press conference at the US Embassy to Romania in Bucharest September 5, 2019.
Sondland is the child of immigrant parents who fled Nazi Germany, according to Politico.
Oregon Live reported that Sondlands parents left Gdansk, now Poland, and his father fought the Nazis in the French Foreign Legion and British Army. The family eventually settled in Uruguay and then Seattle, Washington.
In a video biography put out when he was named ambassador, Sondland said he was born and raised in Seattle, but he was the first in my family who were born in the U.S.
My mother was able to get out of Nazi Germany because her father was Russian, and those with a Russian passport could leave, Sondland said, according to Fox News. My father was not so fortunate and he had to be smuggled out of Germany by being tied to the bow of a vegetable freighter that was leaving for the North Sea. He almost lost one leg because it was so cold and he wound up in France. His father later fought the Nazis in North Africa.
Sondland spoke about his family origins and the Holocaust to Portland Business Review. You can listen to that audio interview here. In it, he explained that his parents married at age 15 and were teenage sweethearts who left Nazi Germany in a very precarious way.
He gave a lengthy tribute to his parents at his nomination hearing, saying, Theirs was a story of intense personal sacrifice, unshakeable spirit and faith, hard work, good luck, and a deep commitmentdevoted in equal parts to the United States and to each other. Having met and married in Berlin in 1938, Gunther and Frieda, and my sister Lucy, unlike so many of their less fortunate relatives were able to flee the scourge of Nazism.
In 1939, Frieda and Lucy found safe haven in South America, while Gunther promptly volunteered to take up arms against the murderous, authoritarian regime from which theyd just escaped. First, with the French Foreign Legion in Africa, and later with the British Army in Burma. World War II came to a close, and two years later so too did Gunther and Friedas eight-year separation, when they were reunited in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1947. Along with tens of thousands of other Jews, Gunthers surviving family had sought shelter in Shanghai. Soon, they and Gunther, Frieda, and my sister Lucy found fortunate, permanent refuge in Seattle, Washington, on the Northwestern edge of our great country. Here, they raised their two children, including me, the first of my family ever to claim natural-born citizenship in the United States. Here, they embarked on their own unique American dream, as proud American citizens, eventually starting and running a small successful dry-cleaning business for the next thirty years. Here, they labored, loved, made many friends andhad a positive impact on their community. Here, they never ceased being grateful to the country that had given them hope, safety, and a new beginning. Gunther and Frieda fought hard for their American citizenship. They cherished it. They nurtured it. And, they marinated me and my sister Lucy in it. They bequeathed to us neither riches nor property, but something much more treasured: an abiding respect for industry, determination, and self-sufficiency; a deep love of God, family, and country this country in particular; faith in the rule of law; and, finally, the certainty that self-governance is essential to happiness, prosperity and true liberty.
GettyUS Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland (L) and European Commission Vice President Maros Sefcovic talk with to reporters aboard Air Force One May 14, 2019, in Louisiana.
Sondland has gone back and forth on Trump over the years, and hes regarded as more of an establishment Republican who is a fan of the free market and Ayn Rand.
Sondland spoke about Trump to a Politico podcast in which he also advocated for the free market. Hes a hell of a lot of fun, Sondland said, of Trump, indicating that he thinks Europeans have been too hard on the president. I think they would enjoy his company.
However, according to Oregon Live, after initially supporting Trump during his run for president once Trump was the Republican nominee, Sondland and his wife broke with Trump when he criticized Gold Star Father Khizr Khan. Trumps constantly evolving positions diverge from their personal beliefs and values on so many levels, their spokesperson said, according to Oregon Live.
At that time, a spokesperson for Sondland cited his parents experiences, saying they were persecuted for their faith.
The spokesperson also said, according to Willamette Week: Mr. Sondland is a first generation American whose parents were forced to flee Germany during the years leading up to World War II because they were persecuted for their faithHistorically, Mr. Sondland has been supportive of the Republican partys nominees for President. However, in light of Mr. Trumps treatment of the Khan family and the fact his constantly evolving positions diverge from their personal beliefs and values on so many levels, neither Mr. Sondland or Mr. Wali can support his candidacy.
Sondland, chairman of Provenance Hotels and based in Oregon and Washington, later changed his mind and became a major donor to Trumps inaugural committee.
Sondland and his wife run the Sondland Durant Foundation. Its website says The Gordon D. Sondland and Katherine J. Durant Foundation was founded in 1999 by Gordon Sondland & Katherine Durant. The organizations supported by the Foundation include the Portland Art Museum, OMSI, OHSU, New Avenues for Youth, Oregon Ballet Theatre, the Portland Parks Foundation.
The foundations mission is described as Helping Families & Boosting Communities. Sondlands wife, who is also called Katy, holds a Bachelor of Science in Business form Pepperdine University as well as an MBA in Finance from Willamette University, according to the foundations website. Max and Lucy Sondland are also listed on the website. They are both college students.
In 2018, in his statement after being nominated as ambassador, Sondland said of his wife, Shes a formidable success in business, as well as in our home, and shes been an enduring source of strength and humbling, smart advice since the day I was fortunate to meet her nearly 30 years ago.
The foundation website lists these boards for Durant: Pratt School of Engineering Board of Visitors at Duke University; Portland Art Museum Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Chair of the Investment Committee; Jesuit High School Board of Trustees; Elevate Oregon Board of Directors.
Sondlands website lists him as serving on the following boards: Sanford School Board of Visitors at Duke University; Oregon Health & Science University Foundation; U.S. Bancorp Washington State Advisory Board; National Finance Co-Chairman; George W. Bush Center.
Sondlands wife is also involved in real estate investment.
YouTubeGordon Sondland and his wife, Katherine Durant.
Both Sondlands described to Oregon Business how they met. I flew to Portland to look at a building Katy was marketing. My friend and mentor Howard S. Wright counseled me against the investment but advised me to keep in touch with that broker; she is really pretty and smart, Sondland said.
Katy added, He really wasnt my type. I was focused on showing him and Mr. Wright the building I hoped they would buy. I was not successful in that endeavor, but I sold it to someone else. Today we say it was the best deal weve ever done that didnt go through. She told the site she insisted on keeping her name and staying in Portland.
They have gone on to amass a $60 million fortune and a major art collection.
Im also a lover of art. Katy and I have assembled a wonderful collection. Weve been fortunate even to loan a couple of paintings to the White House, Sondland said in the video biography, which shows off a couple of the familys paintings. According to Mother Jones, Sondlands art collection is worth about $25 million.
Gordon Sondland and his wife.
Max and Lucy Sondland, the couples children, are also listed on the foundations website. They are both college students. Willamette Week reports that Max attends Duke University; his parents gave the college $2.5 million.
Sitting next to Katy are our two proudest accomplishments, our children Max and Lucy, both of whom are undergraduates at Duke, and both of whom departed challenging summer internships so they could be here by my side, Sondland said in 2018 at his nomination hearing. Im delighted they could be here today.
A video biography introducing Sondland by the U.S. Mission to the EU shows the new ambassador sitting in his home with his wife, making coffee, and sitting next to his dog. He said he had been married for 25 years to Katy Durant and introduced his two children.
My family is the most important thing to me, said Sondland.
READ NEXT: Gordon Sondlands Net Worth.
- Who Is Ayn Rand? - The Objective Standard - January 7th, 2020
- OPINION: Hateful, and then some | Cit - Independent Tribune - January 7th, 2020
- Bike about Vice City in GTA V with this mod - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 7th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: What next? - Washington Times - January 7th, 2020
- The notion of victory and other reasons people (politicians) tell lies | By Godwin Uche Uwadilachi - Qwenu! - January 7th, 2020
- Ayn Rand - - Biography - November 21st, 2019
- Understanding Ayn Rand's Rejection of Faith - November 21st, 2019
- Gordon Sondland: 5 things to know - Fox News - November 21st, 2019
- Why Selfishness is Necessary - Thrive Global - November 21st, 2019
- What Is the Root of Cronyism? - New Ideal - October 1st, 2019
- Marine Serre, Telfar, Draw Inspiration From the Apocalypse - Papermag - October 1st, 2019
- Joker is a film of our time, but not the film we need - Fabius Maximus website - October 1st, 2019
- Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That There's More to ... - May 11th, 2019
- News - Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That ... - May 11th, 2019
- Ayn Rand | Biography, Books, & Facts | Britannica.com - April 29th, 2019
- Inspirational Ayn Rand quotes On Life and Capitalism - April 29th, 2019
- Ayn Rand's life & ideas | Ayn Rand, Objectivism | The Atlas ... - April 20th, 2019
- Ayn Rand Quotes (Author of Atlas Shrugged) - Goodreads - April 20th, 2019
- Scientific & Technological Progress | The Ayn Rand Institute - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - Philosopher, Writer - Biography - March 25th, 2019
- Atlas Shrugged: (Centennial Edition) by Ayn Rand, Paperback ... - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - The New York Times - March 25th, 2019
- Column: This is what happens when you take Ayn Rand seriously ... - February 16th, 2019
- President Obama Jabs At Ayn Rand, Knocks Himself Out - December 9th, 2018
- Ayn Rand raged against government benefits but grabbed ... - November 29th, 2018
- Is There a Proof of Ayn Rand's Ethics? - November 27th, 2018
- Here's how Ayn Rand helped turn the US into a selfish and ... - November 27th, 2018
- Ayn Rand, Objectivism - The Atlas Society - November 23rd, 2018
- Ayn Rand Institute eStore - September 6th, 2018
- In Defense of Ayn Rand, Monster Under the Progressive Bed - July 21st, 2018
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Paperback | Barnes & Noble - July 16th, 2018
- Ayn Rand's Ideas - An Overview | AynRand.org - June 23rd, 2018
- How Hillary Clinton Is Like Ayn Rand | The Weekly Standard - March 16th, 2018
- Why Mark Cuban and Kevin O'Leary read Ayn Rand - January 29th, 2018
- Movie Review: In Pattinson, 'Twilight' sidles up to Ratso Rizzo - The Providence Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Why Stephen K. Bannon was such a failure - The Washington Post - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- What's Wrong With America? - Falls Church News Press - August 25th, 2017
- Anthem Essay Contest Ayn Rand Education - August 24th, 2017
- 30 important life lessons Dirty Dancing taught us - EW.com - August 24th, 2017
- Ayn Rand - Salon.com - August 24th, 2017
- Is There Really an 'Insidious Libertarian-To-Alt-Right Pipeline'? - Reason (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Violent tribalism on display in Charlottesville - MDJOnline.com - August 24th, 2017
- Takers and Fakers - New York Times (blog) - July 14th, 2017
- Republican states raising taxes, not lowering them | The Seattle Times - The Seattle Times - July 3rd, 2017
- J. Talbot Manvel: Declaration of Independence joined morality and law - CapitalGazette.com - July 2nd, 2017
- I watched the sun set on my Sunset Boulevard romance - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- Letter: Things aren't going so well under President Trump - Detroit Lakes Online - July 2nd, 2017
- Why can't self-satisfied liberals admit that conservatives care about people, too? - The Week Magazine - June 30th, 2017
- The least of these - Ashland Daily Press - June 30th, 2017
- The Continuing Scourge of Tenant Harassment: If You Don't Like It, Move. - The Nonprofit Quarterly (registration) - June 27th, 2017
- This Classic Colonial Revival in Westchester Has Impressive Literary Ties - Mansion Global - June 26th, 2017
- Lowell Thomas, the Original 'Voice of America' - The Weekly Standard - June 26th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Goodbye reason, Hello violence - MDJOnline.com - June 26th, 2017
- Paul Ryan conflicted by Jesus Christ and Ayn Rand -- Norman Jensen - Madison.com - June 24th, 2017
- London Theater Review: Topical Drama 'Terror' - Variety - June 23rd, 2017
- Travis Kalanick may have resigned as Uber's CEO but he isn't going away - Washington Post - June 22nd, 2017
- 'Fargo' Season 3 finale recap: A mostly satisfying, but ambiguous ending - Baltimore Sun - June 22nd, 2017
- Ayn Rand | American author | Britannica.com - June 21st, 2017
- Working toward graduation: 50 SPS students participate in credit recovery program - Stillwater News Press - June 21st, 2017
- If You Saw Uber's CEO Testify Before the DC Council, His Downfall May Come as No Surprise - HuffPost - June 21st, 2017
- Selfie by Will Storr review are the young really so self-obsessed? - The Guardian - June 21st, 2017
- Goodbye Reason, Hello Violence - Townhall - June 21st, 2017
- Wayne LaPierre, Tomi Lahren, and a Rally Cry From Young Conservative Women - D Magazine - June 20th, 2017
- Both parties responsible for economic failings - Alpena News - June 18th, 2017
- NY Times, After 'Corrections,' Still Has Palin-Giffords 'Targeting' Myth in Scalise Shooting Editorial - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Fountainhead: American Eclectic - Patheos (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Tech Talk: Israel's Fortune 500 companies - The Jerusalem Post - June 16th, 2017
- South Fayette educator and coach has the music in him - Observer-Reporter - June 16th, 2017
- PBS Is Airing Right-Wing-Sponsored School Privatization Propaganda - The National Memo (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- Shall we all hang separately? - Nevada Appeal - June 14th, 2017
- Trump & Ryan's (Tryan's) Co-Conspiracy in Moral Bankruptcy - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 12th, 2017
- Trump's Credibility Problem - National Review - June 12th, 2017
- How the Dark Web's Dread Pirate Roberts Went Down - New York Times - June 12th, 2017
- Letter: Deregulation is not always best - Aiken Standard - June 11th, 2017
- Is Germany Blowing It? - The Awl - June 7th, 2017
- Elate's Revival of Ayn Rand's NIGHT OF JANUARY 16TH Opens 6/3 - Broadway World - June 6th, 2017
- Neo-Tech Views On Ayn Rand and Objectivism | Good Herald - Good Herald - June 6th, 2017
- Make the magic money tree work for everyone, not just the rich - The Guardian - June 6th, 2017
- Mick Mulvaney's snake oil: A blend of bad science, bad math and really bad politics - Salon - June 6th, 2017
- How Ayn Rand's 'elitism' lives on in the Donald Trump ... - April 8th, 2017