Location: Mount Kisco, New York
Price: $1.999 million
Bennett Cerf is best known as the 20th-century powerhouse publisher who co-founded Modern Library and Random House in New York. His authors included William Faulkner, Eugene ONeill, John OHara, Ayn Rand, James Michener and Truman Capote.
Along with a Manhattan apartment, he and his wife, the actress Phyllis Fraser, maintained a 10-acre estate in suburban Westchester County for many years. Their former home, a classic Colonial Revival in Mount Kisco, is now on the market.
Cerf also wrote humor books and had a starring role as one of four panelists on the CBS weekly show Whats My Line? for most of the 1950s and 60s. Fraser was also a journalist and childrens book publisher. So friends and frequent houseguests were often literary or political luminaries or well-known stars from Hollywood and Broadway.
These house guests included the likes of Frank Sinatra, John F. Kennedy and Theodor Seuss Geisel (better known as Dr. Seuss), according to Jessica Chan of William Pitt Julia B. Fee Sothebys International Realty.
More:A Seaside Nantucket Compound Moonlights as the Perfect Summer Getaway
Because he was married to an actress, the house was a central location for entertaining some really prominent people, Ms. Chan said. It was the center of the literary and entertainment worlds.
There is still an original brass plate on the front door that reads Cerf. The house is known as The Columns for its two-story columned veranda at the back. Old-timers also know it as the Cerf-Wagner estate because his widow married former New York City Mayor Robert F. Wagner Jr. after Cerfs death in 1971 and they made it their part-time home until Wagner died in 1991.
The current owners bought the house from the Cerf family in 1993, Ms. Chan said.
Its such a huge house, almost like a compound, she said, mentioning that one Thanksgiving, the current owners had 25 overnight houseguests.
The interior has been renovated throughout, but they kept all of the original period characteristics of the house, Ms. Chan said. Its the best of both worlds.
More:A 19th-Century Princeton Home with Original Details Throughout
Original architectural features of the 1927 house include hardwood floors, high ceilings, a grand center-hall staircase, crown moldings and five working fireplaces.
All of the windows have been replaced, and plumbing and utilities updated, Ms. Chan said. The bathrooms have all been renovated, but they were done to look like the 1920s.
This house is a good balance of modern versus old, but its a move-in-ready house, she said. Some old houses need so much workthis one doesnt.
The 5,789-square-foot house has eight bedrooms, seven full bathrooms and one half bath. It sits on 9.63 acres. There are also two guesthouses.
Guest House A is around 800 square feet with one bedroom, two bathrooms and a living room with kitchen, Ms. Chan said. Guest House B is smaller, a studio with a bathroom.
Both have been beautifully renovated, she said. Guest House A is the historical one where people like Frank Sinatra frequently stayed.
More:A Penthouse on Lake Como with A Musical History
Amenities include a swimming pool, large flagstone patio, tennis court, two-hole golf course, greenhouse, rolling meadows, two ponds and frontage on the scenic Kisco River. There is also detached three-car garage.
Orchard Road is a dead-end road, filled with beautiful housesclassic Colonials, Tudorsthat were built in the 1920s, Ms. Chan said.
Its such a safe and quiet neighborhood, she said. This house is set back from the road so no one would even know its there.
More:History Breathes New Life into this Napa Property
Its just a 10-minute walk to the Metro-North train station in downtown Mount Kisco, she said, which has many restaurants and shops.
The property actually straddles two Westchester communities, with 6.1 acres in the town of New Castle and the rest in Mount Kisco. It is in the Chappaqua school district, one of Westchesters best.
Agent Name: Jessica Chan, William Pitt Julia B Fee Sothebys International Realty
View the full listing
Write to Listing of the Day
Follow Mansion Global:
Stay up to date with Mansion Global newsletters
Follow this link:
- Who Is Ayn Rand? - The Objective Standard - January 7th, 2020
- OPINION: Hateful, and then some | Cit - Independent Tribune - January 7th, 2020
- Bike about Vice City in GTA V with this mod - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 7th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: What next? - Washington Times - January 7th, 2020
- The notion of victory and other reasons people (politicians) tell lies | By Godwin Uche Uwadilachi - Qwenu! - January 7th, 2020
- Ayn Rand - - Biography - November 21st, 2019
- Understanding Ayn Rand's Rejection of Faith - November 21st, 2019
- Gordon Sondland: 5 things to know - Fox News - November 21st, 2019
- Why Selfishness is Necessary - Thrive Global - November 21st, 2019
- Gordon Sondland's Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - November 21st, 2019
- What Is the Root of Cronyism? - New Ideal - October 1st, 2019
- Marine Serre, Telfar, Draw Inspiration From the Apocalypse - Papermag - October 1st, 2019
- Joker is a film of our time, but not the film we need - Fabius Maximus website - October 1st, 2019
- Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That There's More to ... - May 11th, 2019
- News - Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That ... - May 11th, 2019
- Ayn Rand | Biography, Books, & Facts | Britannica.com - April 29th, 2019
- Inspirational Ayn Rand quotes On Life and Capitalism - April 29th, 2019
- Ayn Rand's life & ideas | Ayn Rand, Objectivism | The Atlas ... - April 20th, 2019
- Ayn Rand Quotes (Author of Atlas Shrugged) - Goodreads - April 20th, 2019
- Scientific & Technological Progress | The Ayn Rand Institute - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - Philosopher, Writer - Biography - March 25th, 2019
- Atlas Shrugged: (Centennial Edition) by Ayn Rand, Paperback ... - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - The New York Times - March 25th, 2019
- Column: This is what happens when you take Ayn Rand seriously ... - February 16th, 2019
- President Obama Jabs At Ayn Rand, Knocks Himself Out - December 9th, 2018
- Ayn Rand raged against government benefits but grabbed ... - November 29th, 2018
- Is There a Proof of Ayn Rand's Ethics? - November 27th, 2018
- Here's how Ayn Rand helped turn the US into a selfish and ... - November 27th, 2018
- Ayn Rand, Objectivism - The Atlas Society - November 23rd, 2018
- Ayn Rand Institute eStore - September 6th, 2018
- In Defense of Ayn Rand, Monster Under the Progressive Bed - July 21st, 2018
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Paperback | Barnes & Noble - July 16th, 2018
- Ayn Rand's Ideas - An Overview | AynRand.org - June 23rd, 2018
- How Hillary Clinton Is Like Ayn Rand | The Weekly Standard - March 16th, 2018
- Why Mark Cuban and Kevin O'Leary read Ayn Rand - January 29th, 2018
- Movie Review: In Pattinson, 'Twilight' sidles up to Ratso Rizzo - The Providence Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Why Stephen K. Bannon was such a failure - The Washington Post - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- What's Wrong With America? - Falls Church News Press - August 25th, 2017
- Anthem Essay Contest Ayn Rand Education - August 24th, 2017
- 30 important life lessons Dirty Dancing taught us - EW.com - August 24th, 2017
- Ayn Rand - Salon.com - August 24th, 2017
- Is There Really an 'Insidious Libertarian-To-Alt-Right Pipeline'? - Reason (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Violent tribalism on display in Charlottesville - MDJOnline.com - August 24th, 2017
- Takers and Fakers - New York Times (blog) - July 14th, 2017
- Republican states raising taxes, not lowering them | The Seattle Times - The Seattle Times - July 3rd, 2017
- J. Talbot Manvel: Declaration of Independence joined morality and law - CapitalGazette.com - July 2nd, 2017
- I watched the sun set on my Sunset Boulevard romance - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- Letter: Things aren't going so well under President Trump - Detroit Lakes Online - July 2nd, 2017
- Why can't self-satisfied liberals admit that conservatives care about people, too? - The Week Magazine - June 30th, 2017
- The least of these - Ashland Daily Press - June 30th, 2017
- The Continuing Scourge of Tenant Harassment: If You Don't Like It, Move. - The Nonprofit Quarterly (registration) - June 27th, 2017
- Lowell Thomas, the Original 'Voice of America' - The Weekly Standard - June 26th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Goodbye reason, Hello violence - MDJOnline.com - June 26th, 2017
- Paul Ryan conflicted by Jesus Christ and Ayn Rand -- Norman Jensen - Madison.com - June 24th, 2017
- London Theater Review: Topical Drama 'Terror' - Variety - June 23rd, 2017
- Travis Kalanick may have resigned as Uber's CEO but he isn't going away - Washington Post - June 22nd, 2017
- 'Fargo' Season 3 finale recap: A mostly satisfying, but ambiguous ending - Baltimore Sun - June 22nd, 2017
- Ayn Rand | American author | Britannica.com - June 21st, 2017
- Working toward graduation: 50 SPS students participate in credit recovery program - Stillwater News Press - June 21st, 2017
- If You Saw Uber's CEO Testify Before the DC Council, His Downfall May Come as No Surprise - HuffPost - June 21st, 2017
- Selfie by Will Storr review are the young really so self-obsessed? - The Guardian - June 21st, 2017
- Goodbye Reason, Hello Violence - Townhall - June 21st, 2017
- Wayne LaPierre, Tomi Lahren, and a Rally Cry From Young Conservative Women - D Magazine - June 20th, 2017
- Both parties responsible for economic failings - Alpena News - June 18th, 2017
- NY Times, After 'Corrections,' Still Has Palin-Giffords 'Targeting' Myth in Scalise Shooting Editorial - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Fountainhead: American Eclectic - Patheos (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Tech Talk: Israel's Fortune 500 companies - The Jerusalem Post - June 16th, 2017
- South Fayette educator and coach has the music in him - Observer-Reporter - June 16th, 2017
- PBS Is Airing Right-Wing-Sponsored School Privatization Propaganda - The National Memo (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- Shall we all hang separately? - Nevada Appeal - June 14th, 2017
- Trump & Ryan's (Tryan's) Co-Conspiracy in Moral Bankruptcy - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 12th, 2017
- Trump's Credibility Problem - National Review - June 12th, 2017
- How the Dark Web's Dread Pirate Roberts Went Down - New York Times - June 12th, 2017
- Letter: Deregulation is not always best - Aiken Standard - June 11th, 2017
- Is Germany Blowing It? - The Awl - June 7th, 2017
- Elate's Revival of Ayn Rand's NIGHT OF JANUARY 16TH Opens 6/3 - Broadway World - June 6th, 2017
- Neo-Tech Views On Ayn Rand and Objectivism | Good Herald - Good Herald - June 6th, 2017
- Make the magic money tree work for everyone, not just the rich - The Guardian - June 6th, 2017
- Mick Mulvaney's snake oil: A blend of bad science, bad math and really bad politics - Salon - June 6th, 2017
- How Ayn Rand's 'elitism' lives on in the Donald Trump ... - April 8th, 2017