While most students are busy enjoying their summer break, about 50 Stillwater Public Schools students chose to actively pursue credit recovery in English, math or social studies at Lincoln Academy.
Students, who range from incoming sophomores to soon-to-be graduates, had four weeks to retake a course or two they failed for one reason or another.
The self-paced program, which started May 30 and ends Thursday, allowed students to work through the coursework once credit at a time.
Katie Carlisle, 19, is thankful SPS provides this service for students.
It gives people an opportunity to redeem themselves, she said.
Carlisle failed Algebra II her senior year at Stillwater High, but was able to walk at graduation last month.
Students who are short two or fewer credits are allowed to walk at graduation, Trent Swanson, principal at Lincoln Academy said Tuesday. Two students that walked at graduation participated in credit recovery.
Carlisle will be taking her last Algebra II tests Wednesday.
If I pass the tests, Ill get my diploma, Carlisle said. If I dont pass, I dont know what Ill do.
She plans to continue her studies at Meridian Technology Center this fall where she is studying information technology.
One day she hopes to be a computer forensic investigator.
Also participating in the credit recovery program wash Nick Warne, 15, who was busy working on his last freshman English assignment on Tuesday.
He struggled with the course the first time around.
When the work got harder, I just slacked off, Warne said.
He is enjoying the format at Lincoln Academy.
I like to work at my own pace, Warne said.
Hes not sure if he will attend Stillwater High or Lincoln Academy next year for his sophomore year but he knows he wants to graduate.
Warne hopes to attend culinary school in Colorado and become a chef.
A huge dream of mine is to own my own restaurant, Warne said.
Warne and other students got help along the way from Aaron Frisby, a Lincoln Academy teacher.
I believe in self-paced learning, Frisby said. It is the way we do it here at Lincoln.
He said students read the novel Anthem, by Ayn Rand as a class and have recently been working on their writing.
Students attend class Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-noon and are offered a meal from the district each day. The are also given a weekend food bag courtesy of First United Methodist Church.
Swanson said the program is a great way to help students and that he has heard positive feedback from parents.
Im also appreciative of teachers for giving up time in the summer to help kids recover credits, Swanson said.
Continue reading here:
- Ayn Rand | Biography, Books, & Facts | Britannica - February 24th, 2020
- Ayn Rand - - Biography - February 24th, 2020
- Who Is Ayn Rand? - The Objective Standard - February 24th, 2020
- Clinical psychologist explains how Ayn Rand helped turn the US into a selfish and greedy nation - Raw Story - February 24th, 2020
- Created Equal: Clarence Thomas in His Own Words - Arkansas Online - February 24th, 2020
- A World to Win - The New Republic - February 24th, 2020
- A counter-revolution is brewing in the U.K. and Europe - The Advocate - February 24th, 2020
- Trump Pardons Every Criminal He Knows, Which Is A Lot Of Criminals - Wonkette - February 24th, 2020
- OPINION: Hateful, and then some | Cit - Independent Tribune - January 7th, 2020
- Bike about Vice City in GTA V with this mod - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 7th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: What next? - Washington Times - January 7th, 2020
- The notion of victory and other reasons people (politicians) tell lies | By Godwin Uche Uwadilachi - Qwenu! - January 7th, 2020
- Understanding Ayn Rand's Rejection of Faith - November 21st, 2019
- Gordon Sondland: 5 things to know - Fox News - November 21st, 2019
- Why Selfishness is Necessary - Thrive Global - November 21st, 2019
- Gordon Sondland's Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - November 21st, 2019
- What Is the Root of Cronyism? - New Ideal - October 1st, 2019
- Marine Serre, Telfar, Draw Inspiration From the Apocalypse - Papermag - October 1st, 2019
- Joker is a film of our time, but not the film we need - Fabius Maximus website - October 1st, 2019
- Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That There's More to ... - May 11th, 2019
- News - Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" Shows Us That ... - May 11th, 2019
- Ayn Rand | Biography, Books, & Facts | Britannica.com - April 29th, 2019
- Inspirational Ayn Rand quotes On Life and Capitalism - April 29th, 2019
- Ayn Rand's life & ideas | Ayn Rand, Objectivism | The Atlas ... - April 20th, 2019
- Ayn Rand Quotes (Author of Atlas Shrugged) - Goodreads - April 20th, 2019
- Scientific & Technological Progress | The Ayn Rand Institute - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - Philosopher, Writer - Biography - March 25th, 2019
- Atlas Shrugged: (Centennial Edition) by Ayn Rand, Paperback ... - March 25th, 2019
- Ayn Rand - The New York Times - March 25th, 2019
- Column: This is what happens when you take Ayn Rand seriously ... - February 16th, 2019
- President Obama Jabs At Ayn Rand, Knocks Himself Out - December 9th, 2018
- Ayn Rand raged against government benefits but grabbed ... - November 29th, 2018
- Is There a Proof of Ayn Rand's Ethics? - November 27th, 2018
- Here's how Ayn Rand helped turn the US into a selfish and ... - November 27th, 2018
- Ayn Rand, Objectivism - The Atlas Society - November 23rd, 2018
- Ayn Rand Institute eStore - September 6th, 2018
- In Defense of Ayn Rand, Monster Under the Progressive Bed - July 21st, 2018
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Paperback | Barnes & Noble - July 16th, 2018
- Ayn Rand's Ideas - An Overview | AynRand.org - June 23rd, 2018
- How Hillary Clinton Is Like Ayn Rand | The Weekly Standard - March 16th, 2018
- Why Mark Cuban and Kevin O'Leary read Ayn Rand - January 29th, 2018
- Movie Review: In Pattinson, 'Twilight' sidles up to Ratso Rizzo - The Providence Journal - August 25th, 2017
- Why Stephen K. Bannon was such a failure - The Washington Post - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- What's Wrong With America? - Falls Church News Press - August 25th, 2017
- Anthem Essay Contest Ayn Rand Education - August 24th, 2017
- 30 important life lessons Dirty Dancing taught us - EW.com - August 24th, 2017
- Ayn Rand - Salon.com - August 24th, 2017
- Is There Really an 'Insidious Libertarian-To-Alt-Right Pipeline'? - Reason (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Violent tribalism on display in Charlottesville - MDJOnline.com - August 24th, 2017
- Takers and Fakers - New York Times (blog) - July 14th, 2017
- Republican states raising taxes, not lowering them | The Seattle Times - The Seattle Times - July 3rd, 2017
- J. Talbot Manvel: Declaration of Independence joined morality and law - CapitalGazette.com - July 2nd, 2017
- I watched the sun set on my Sunset Boulevard romance - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2017
- Letter: Things aren't going so well under President Trump - Detroit Lakes Online - July 2nd, 2017
- Why can't self-satisfied liberals admit that conservatives care about people, too? - The Week Magazine - June 30th, 2017
- The least of these - Ashland Daily Press - June 30th, 2017
- The Continuing Scourge of Tenant Harassment: If You Don't Like It, Move. - The Nonprofit Quarterly (registration) - June 27th, 2017
- This Classic Colonial Revival in Westchester Has Impressive Literary Ties - Mansion Global - June 26th, 2017
- Lowell Thomas, the Original 'Voice of America' - The Weekly Standard - June 26th, 2017
- BOB BARR: Goodbye reason, Hello violence - MDJOnline.com - June 26th, 2017
- Paul Ryan conflicted by Jesus Christ and Ayn Rand -- Norman Jensen - Madison.com - June 24th, 2017
- London Theater Review: Topical Drama 'Terror' - Variety - June 23rd, 2017
- Travis Kalanick may have resigned as Uber's CEO but he isn't going away - Washington Post - June 22nd, 2017
- 'Fargo' Season 3 finale recap: A mostly satisfying, but ambiguous ending - Baltimore Sun - June 22nd, 2017
- Ayn Rand | American author | Britannica.com - June 21st, 2017
- If You Saw Uber's CEO Testify Before the DC Council, His Downfall May Come as No Surprise - HuffPost - June 21st, 2017
- Selfie by Will Storr review are the young really so self-obsessed? - The Guardian - June 21st, 2017
- Goodbye Reason, Hello Violence - Townhall - June 21st, 2017
- Wayne LaPierre, Tomi Lahren, and a Rally Cry From Young Conservative Women - D Magazine - June 20th, 2017
- Both parties responsible for economic failings - Alpena News - June 18th, 2017
- NY Times, After 'Corrections,' Still Has Palin-Giffords 'Targeting' Myth in Scalise Shooting Editorial - NewsBusters (press release) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Fountainhead: American Eclectic - Patheos (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Tech Talk: Israel's Fortune 500 companies - The Jerusalem Post - June 16th, 2017
- South Fayette educator and coach has the music in him - Observer-Reporter - June 16th, 2017
- PBS Is Airing Right-Wing-Sponsored School Privatization Propaganda - The National Memo (blog) - June 16th, 2017
- Shall we all hang separately? - Nevada Appeal - June 14th, 2017
- Trump & Ryan's (Tryan's) Co-Conspiracy in Moral Bankruptcy - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 12th, 2017
- Trump's Credibility Problem - National Review - June 12th, 2017
- How the Dark Web's Dread Pirate Roberts Went Down - New York Times - June 12th, 2017
- Letter: Deregulation is not always best - Aiken Standard - June 11th, 2017