Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism isnot an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too oftendefined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
Older dictionaries define atheism as a belief that there is no God. Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as there is no God betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read there are no gods.
While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. To put it in a more humorous way: If atheism is a religion, thennot collecting stamps is a hobby.
Despite the fact that atheism is not a religion, atheism is protected by many of the same Constitutional rights that protect religion. That, however, does not mean that atheism is itself a religion, only that our sincerely held (lack of) beliefs are protected in the same way as the religious beliefs of others. Similarly, many interfaith groups will include atheists. This, again, does not mean that atheism is a religious belief.
Some groups will use words like Agnostic, Humanist, Secular, Bright, Freethinker, or any number of other terms to self identify. Those words are perfectly fine as a self-identifier, but we strongly advocate using the word that people understand: Atheist. Dont use those other terms to disguise your atheism or to shy away from a word that some think has a negative connotation. We should be using the terminology that is most accurate and that answers the question that is actually being asked. We should use the term that binds all of us together.
If you call yourself a humanist, a freethinker, a bright, or even a cultural Catholic and lack belief in a god, you are an atheist. Dont shy away from the term. Embrace it.
Agnostic isnt just a weaker version of being an atheist. It answers a different question. Atheism is about what you believe. Agnosticism is about what you know.
In recent surveys, the Pew Research Center has grouped atheists, agnostics, and the unaffiliated into one category. The so-called Nones are the fastest growing religious demographic in the United States. Pewseparates out atheists from agnostics and the non-religious, but that is primarily a function of self-identification. Only about 5% of people call themselves atheists, but if you ask about belief in gods, 11% say they do not believe in gods. Those people are atheists, whether they choose to use the word or not.
A recent survey fromUniversity of Kentucky psychologists Will Gervais and Maxine Najle found that as many as 26% of Americans may be atheists. This study was designed to overcome the stigma associated with atheism and the potential for closeted atheists to abstain from outing themselves even when speaking anonymously to pollsters. The full study is awaiting publication inSocial Psychological and Personality Sciencejournal but a pre-print version is available here.
Even more people say that their definition of god is simply a unifying force between all people. Or that they arent sure what they believe.If you lack an active belief in gods, you are an atheist.
Being an atheist doesnt mean youre sure about every theological question, have answers to the way the world was created, or how evolution works. It just means that the assertion that gods exist has left you unconvinced.
Wishing that there was an afterlife, or a creator god, or a specific god doesnt mean youre not an atheist. Being an atheist is about what you believe and dont believe, not about what you wish to be true or would find comforting.
The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.
Atheists exist across the political spectrum. We are members of every race. We are members of the LGBTQ* community. There are atheists in urban, suburban, and rural communities and in every state of the nation.
We have more than 170 affiliates and local partners nationwide. If you are looking for a community, we strongly recommend reaching out to an affiliate in your area.
View original post here:
- Socialism and Atheism Still US Political Liabilities - Gallup - February 12th, 2020
- Yes, There Are Atheists Who Still Fear Hell - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- Atheist Gives U. of Texas $1 Million Endowment to Study Non-Religious Americans - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 308: Mitt Romney Did the Right Thing for the Wrong Reason - Patheos - February 12th, 2020
- The Problem with Atheism By Mohammad Alshereda - Nature World News - February 11th, 2020
- Journal Writing Project Reflection of ourselves - Fillmore County Journal - February 11th, 2020
- What If I Told You That You Could Help Save A Life With A Tweet? - Patheos - February 11th, 2020
- Fighting over Evolution? Why? - Covalence - February 11th, 2020
- Podcast Ep. 306: The Church That Doesn't Want Old People - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - January 29th, 2020
- Tory politician who claims its Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve insists hes not homophobic - PinkNews - January 29th, 2020
- Atheism's second thoughts | WORLD News Group - WORLD News Group - January 19th, 2020
- If Everything Is Religion, Is Anything Religion? | Libby Anne - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Christian lifestyle and the reasons of so-called Christian education importance - Christian Post - January 19th, 2020
- Qubec Takes Religion Out of Ethics and Religion Course in Public Schools - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- A brief history of doubt and the emotion that underpins it - Church Times - January 19th, 2020
- I would absolutely become a true believer tomorrow if - Patheos - January 19th, 2020
- Latino atheists gather as a secular group, rejecting religion - Los Angeles Times - January 9th, 2020
- BreakPoint: The 'New Atheism' is old news because it couldn't explain sin - Chattanooga Times Free Press - January 9th, 2020
- What Is New About The New Atheists? | Peter Hammond Schwartz - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- Prayer saved thousands in Mallacoota, claims atheist - Eternity News - January 9th, 2020
- The Peripatetic Preacher and the Necessity of Doubt - Patheos - January 9th, 2020
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to Agnosticism ... - December 6th, 2019
- Atheism | Definition of Atheism by Merriam-Webster - December 6th, 2019
- Church of Atheism might worship science, but it is not a religion, court decides - National Post - December 6th, 2019
- Can you be both a Christian and an unbeliever? - The Irish Times - December 6th, 2019
- Review: Evaluating the Rich Ambiguities of Western Atheism - The Wire - December 6th, 2019
- Elizabeth Warren Was Asked About Her Plan to Protect the Rights of Atheists - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- Anti-Theism Conference Organizer Defends Sexual Misconduct in Bizarre Rant - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - December 6th, 2019
- 'Unbelievers: An Emotional History of Doubt' Book Review - National Review - December 6th, 2019
- Hiring of Accused Atheist Leader Is Reminder That #MeToo Is Still Needed in Organized Atheism - Rewire.News - October 19th, 2019
- A lot of people were Googling 'Ron Reagan' after his atheism ad aired - WTHR - October 19th, 2019
- Franklin Graham: Atheist Ron Reagan Better Be Afraid of Burning in Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Podcast Ep. 292: The Unabashed Atheist Who's Not Afraid of Hell - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 19th, 2019
- Religion holds answers to questions of humanity - Monroe Evening News - October 19th, 2019
- HARROD: Professor Claims Islam Is Not The Root Of Islamic Terrorism - The Daily Wire - October 19th, 2019
- Nick Cave says hes repelled by woke cultures self-righteous belief and lack of humility - NME Live - October 19th, 2019
- Despite Misconduct Allegations, David Silverman Is Now Running an Atheist Group - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Reading Suggestions for Aquinas' Five Ways - Discovery Institute - October 16th, 2019
- A Neglected Modern Masterpiece and Its Perverse Hero - The New Yorker - October 16th, 2019
- Atheist Kicked Off Egyptian TV Show Now Says He's Safely in Another Country - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- This Life and Outgrowing God review heaven, atheism and what gives life meaning - The Guardian - October 2nd, 2019
- As an Afghan immigrant, Britain and atheism showed me the bright side of democracy - The Independent - October 2nd, 2019
- Why Did America Lose Its Religion? Thank the Internet. - Patheos - October 2nd, 2019
- What religion meant to the Mahatma - Hindustan Times - October 2nd, 2019
- Dravidian atheism on a wing and a prayer - Times of India - October 2nd, 2019
- The atheist revolution - Hot Air - October 2nd, 2019
- The Necessity of Atheism - Wikipedia - April 27th, 2019
- Common Sense Atheism Atheism is just the beginning. Now ... - April 27th, 2019
- Atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Britannica.com - March 29th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit - March 29th, 2019
- History of atheism - Wikipedia - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - RationalWiki - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism | Encyclopedia.com - March 29th, 2019
- Atheism - Philosophy - AllAboutPhilosophy.org - February 3rd, 2019
- Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - Conservapedia - February 3rd, 2019
- Atheism - creation.com - January 13th, 2019
- New Atheism - Wikipedia - January 13th, 2019
- Top 10 Atheism Quotes - Common Sense Atheism - January 5th, 2019
- Atheist Apologist: My Favorite Atheism Quotes - January 5th, 2019
- atheism - reddit - January 1st, 2019
- Atheism | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 20th, 2018
- Atheism - December 20th, 2018
- Atheist Websites Directory - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher (Web Exclusive) - November 8th, 2018
- President Obama on Atheism | Real Time with Bill Maher ... - September 30th, 2018
- Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia - August 23rd, 2018
- AtheismUK.com - Challenging Religious Faith - August 8th, 2018
- 600+ Atheism vs. Theism Debates - August 2nd, 2018
- Humanism vs. Atheism | Progressive Humanism - June 2nd, 2018
- The Trouble With Atheism | Documentary Heaven - June 2nd, 2018
- First Church of Atheism | Minister's Site - May 29th, 2018
- Atheism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - March 25th, 2018
- Top 10 Atheism Quotes - February 15th, 2018
- Do Christians REALLY Believe? - Common Sense Atheism - February 15th, 2018
- Why We Should Be Compassionate Toward Atheists - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Everyone's suspicious of atheists even other atheists - SBS - August 25th, 2017
- Beware the War Against ASEAN's Atheists | The Diplomat - The Diplomat - August 25th, 2017
- Atheists go after Sen. Marco Rubio with guns blazing this is why they're dead wrong - TheBlaze.com - August 25th, 2017