As nice as it’d be to have the option of catching up on some reading — or sleep — while an autonomous vehicle drives you to work, the real draw of self-driving cars is the idea that they’ll be safer drivers than whoever just cut you off in the exit lane with inches to spare. After all, if the vast majority of traffic accidents are caused by human error, taking humans out of the equation should save lives, right?
In theory, sure. But in practice? Only if we can build autonomous vehicles safer than, well, the average driver. And right now, the entire auto industry is approaching that same goal from countless directions, and no one even knows what the measure of success is — or should — be.
To bring some orderliness to this currently chaotic situation, a group of 11 companies, including Intel, Audi, and Volkswagen, teamed up to publish a white paper titled “Safety First for Automated Driving,” an exhaustive guide to developing safe autonomous vehicles.
The 146-page-long document’s centerpiece are twelve guiding principles detailing the various capabilities a self-driving car must have before it can be considered “safe.” Here’s a quick primer on each of them.
Safe Operation: An autonomous vehicle must be able to cope with the loss of any of its critical components.
Safety Layer: The self-driving car must know its own limits and understand when it’s safe to return control to the human driver.
Operational Design Domain (ODD): The autonomous vehicle must be prepared to assess the risks of typical driving situations.
Behavior in Traffic: The car’s behavior needs to be predictable to other drivers on the road, and it needs to act according to traffic rules.
User Responsibility: The vehicle needs to be able to recognize a driver’s state of alertness and communicate to them any tasks for which they are responsible.
Vehicle-Initiated Handover: Autonomous vehicles must be able to let drivers know when they need to takeover and make it easy for them to do so. If a takeover request is ignored, the vehicle also needs to have a way to cope with the situation while minimizing risk.
Driver-Initiated Handover: The driver needs to have a way to explicitly ask to take over operation of the self-driving car.
Effects of Automation: An autonomous vehicle must consider how automation could affect the driver even directly after the period of automated driving is over.
Safety Assessment: There needs to be a consistent way to verify and validate the autonomous vehicle’s ability to meet safety goals.
Data Recording: If the self-driving car recognizes an event or incident, it needs to be able to record relevant data in a way that doesn’t violate applicable data privacy laws.
Security: Safe autonomous vehicles will need to have some protection against security threats.
Passive Safety: The self-driving car needs to be prepared for any crash scenarios that might be unique to vehicle automation.
This all sounds well and good. Accomplishing all — let alone most, or even a majority — of these goals is going to be another matter.
Notably, a few major companies and tech players are missing from the list of people who assembled this list (i.e., Tesla, Waymo, et al). Hard not to wonder why: Maybe these companies, all of whom are seemingly behind in the race for self-driving vehicles, are looking to assemble some common ground to edge their behemoth competition out of (or maybe they simply have other ideas about safety).
Whatever the case may be, the autonomous road race won’t be won by anybody who doesn’t adhere to these concepts if they become law — in other words, consider this just another in a long series of shots in the war to earn pole position.
READ MORE: 11 companies propose guiding principles for self-driving vehicles [VentureBeat]
More on autonomous vehicles: This Guide Could Dictate How Cops Handle Autonomous Car Crashes
The post White Paper: These 12 Principles Are Shaping the Future of Autonomous Cars appeared first on Futurism.
Go here to read the rest:
- Facebook Is Finally Fighting Its Pseudoscience “Miracle Cure” Content Problem - July 6th, 2019
- This AI Gives Other AIs Names Like “Ass Federation” And “Hot Pie” Because Robots Can Be Weird Too - July 6th, 2019
- Here’s How You Can Watch Today’s Total Solar Eclipse - July 6th, 2019
- World’s Smallest MRI Machine Means We Can Now Scan Individual Atoms - July 6th, 2019
- NASA’s Orion Crew Capsule Aced Its Abort System Test - July 6th, 2019
- Possible Alien Radio Signals Way More Common Than Believed - July 6th, 2019
- The Pentagon Wants Its Own Orbital Space Station, Like a Death Star, But Not, Okay? - July 6th, 2019
- Russian Sub That Caught Fire Possibly Sent to Cut Internet Cables - July 6th, 2019
- What Do a Toy Store and a Tech Accelerator Have in Common? Cloud-Based Tech. - July 6th, 2019
- This Room-Sized Device Could Create Artificial Gravity in Space - July 6th, 2019
- The Era of Sex for Reproduction Is Coming to an End, Says Author - July 6th, 2019
- A Physicist and His Son Are 3D-Printing a Full-Scale Lamborghini - July 6th, 2019
- AI Poised to Ruin Internet Using “Massive Tsunami” of Fake News - July 6th, 2019
- CRISPR Helps Scientists Cure HIV In Living Animals For First Time - July 6th, 2019
- Billionaires Are Dead Serious About Moving Factories to Space - July 6th, 2019
- We May Never Know When That Third CRISPR Baby Is Born - July 6th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, historic Charts and detailed Metrics - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, charts, market cap, and other ... - April 29th, 2019
- Moon Cash | Free bitcoin cash faucet - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Soars As Ethereum, Ripple's XRP, Bitcoin Cash, And ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - finance.yahoo.com - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia - April 29th, 2019
- What is Bitcoin Cash? - Coin Rivet - April 29th, 2019
- Cash App - Bitcoin - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price, chart, and fundamentals info ... - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoincash price | index, chart and news | WorldCoinIndex - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Price, View BCH Live Value & Buy Bitcoin ... - April 29th, 2019
- Superintelligence - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- Nick Bostrom - Wikipedia - April 21st, 2019
- Chill: Robots Wont Take All Our Jobs | WIRED - April 21st, 2019
- Grady Booch: Don't fear superintelligent AI | TED Talk - April 21st, 2019
- What is Artificial Superintelligence (ASI)? - Definition ... - April 21st, 2019
- Astrophysics - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- Astro-Physics - Home | Facebook - April 20th, 2019
- NASA Astrophysics | Science Mission Directorate - April 20th, 2019
- Astrophysics - Wikipedia - April 14th, 2019
- Company Seven | Astro-Optics Index Page - April 14th, 2019
- Astronomy Ireland | Studying Astronomy - April 14th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 12th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 12th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 12th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 12th, 2019
- Israel’s Lunar Lander Just Crashed Into the Moon - April 12th, 2019
- We Wouldn’t Have the First Black Hole Image Without Katie Bouman - April 12th, 2019
- Space Station Mice Learned to Propel Themselves in Zero Gravity - April 12th, 2019
- NASA: Genetic Changes Caused by Space Travel Are Temporary - April 12th, 2019
- The First Black Hole Photo Is Even More Amazing When You Zoom Out - April 12th, 2019
- Family Caught Selling Diseased Body Parts to Medical Centers - April 12th, 2019
- SpaceX Milestone: Company Lands Three Falcon Heavy Boosters - April 12th, 2019
- People Are Horrified When They Have to Torture a Virtual Person - April 12th, 2019
- Fecal Transplants Reduce Symptoms of Autism Long Term - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists: Next Black Hole Image Will Be Way Clearer - April 11th, 2019
- Seven Ways Cannabis Legalization Will Make the Future Better - April 11th, 2019
- Tesla Says Autopilot Is Statistically Safer Than a Human Driver - April 11th, 2019
- Chinese Scientists Gene-Hacked Super Smart Human-Monkey Hybrids - April 11th, 2019
- Zapping Elderly People’s Brains Supercharges Their Working Memory - April 11th, 2019
- Undersea Robots Are Helping Save the Great Barrier Reef - April 11th, 2019
- Walmart Is Rolling Out Floor-Cleaning Robots in 1,500 Stores - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Is Fighting South American Govs to Control “.Amazon” Domains - April 11th, 2019