There were notable moments throughout 2019 for the Tonganoxie area, but many seemed to happen in the final months of the year.
Heres a look at a few of those top stories:
A new Caseys for Tonganoxie
The new Caseys General Store will be opened in October.
The store officially opened at 6 p.m. Oct. 17.
Tonganoxies newest Caseys is about two blocks south of the former store, with the new locale being south of the U.S. Highway 24-40 and Kansas Highway 16 intersection on the west side of the road.
The current store closed at 11 p.m. Oct. 16, with the kitchen closing at 2 p.m. that day.
This is the third Caseys to be built in Tonganoxie. All three have been constructed in the same proximity.
The first location was on the northwest corner of U.S. 24-40 and K-16 where the optometry office of Richard Dean and Katie Volk now stands. The current was then built a block north.
The landscape near the new Caseys is expected to continue to change, as a residential development in the area is in the works.
Battle of the Brains
A handful of Tonganoxie Middle School students made history with a big accomplishment in December.
The TMS proposal of Step Right Up was named the 2019 Burns & McDonnell Battle of the Brains winner.
The students won $50,000 for the schools science, technology, engineering and math department. Plus, the students will work with engineers to create a replica a $1 million replica of their proposal.
The exhibit likely will open around January 2021 at Science City.
Tonganoxie Middle School students and their teachers celebrate learning the news that TMS was one of the Top 20 Finalists for this years Battle of the Brains. TMS teachers Tracey Waldeier and Steve Bartlow, along with students Lucy Graveman, Ella Pruitt, Jameson Breitzman, Lauren Glynn, Caleb Hodges, Wesley Johnson and Joshua Duvall made up the winning team.
Various news outlets interviewed the students before a big welcome happened later that day outside TMS. Fellow students lined the drive to the schools main entrance to welcome the team back home. Team members also spoke before the school board at the boards December meeting.
The TMS team won out of a field of 840 proposals involving 7,250 students from 270 schools in 50 school districts.
Making history on the gridiron and the course
The Tonganoxie High football team won 10 games for the first time in a season this year.
The Chieftains also won two playoff games in the same year for the first time and finished the regular season undefeated for the second time in three season. THS ended the season two games short of playing for a state title.
The THS boys cross country team placed third place in the state in back-to-back seasons for the first time in school history. The squad also recorded a third straight regional title, the programs best string of regional titles since Tonganoxie won four consecutive regional titles from 1989-92.
More firsts at THS
The Tonganoxie High wrestling team had its first individual state champion in Korbin Riedel. The school got its second not long after when Connor Searcy won gold for Tonganoxie in February at the Class 4A state wrestling championships in Salina. Searcy will try to win another title this year, while Grayson Sonntag will look to get another state medal himself. Sonntag placed third at state in 2019.
Big election year
New school, new commission district, new commissioner.
Tonganoxie voters passed a $51.4 million bond issue that will overhaul the current THS campus. The September mail-in ballot passed by 93 votes.
Leavenworth County also appointed its first commissioner for the new Fifth District in Mike Stieben.
The Tonganoxie Republican won the four-person race with 654 votes. Tonganoxie Independent David Frese, who in November would be elected Tonganoxie mayor, finished second a mere 33 votes behind Stieben.
Frese replaces longtime Mayor Jason Ward, who opted not to run for re-election. He served for 14 years, first as a council member and then mayor.
Tonganoxie came together to raise money for field turf that was installed in time for fall season.
Pledges from residents and businesses raise nearly $400,000, with the district paying $250,000.
Construction of new Tonganoxie Public Library
By the end of 2019, the new Tonganoxie Public Library was built.
Interior work still needs to be done in the new year before it can open in March 2020. The project is expected to be finished in February, with move-in coming in March.
The $3.75 million project is coming to fruition thanks to a 20-year 3/4-cent sales tax Tonganoxie voters approved in 2017. The tax replaced a 10-year tax of the same rate that funded the Tonganoxie Water Park.
A massive EF-4 tornado caused roughly $26 million in damage to Linwood and other parts of Leavenworth County in May.
Nearly 130 homes in the county were damaged, with 44 of them completely destroyed. Along with that were 159 "accessory structures, such as out buildings and, the most noticeable structure on television media coverage that day, the Free State Growers greenhouses. The tornado leveled that campus, which sits across Kansas Highway 32 from Linwood to the north.
McLouth High basketball heads to state
The McLouth High boys basketball team went 18-6 in 2018-19, and with that ended a sizable state basketball drought.
MHS won the Class 2A substate at Valley Heights to qualify for the state tournament in Hays. It was McLouth's first state appearance in nearly 60 years, as the Bulldogs last went to state in 1960.
An additional 159 accessory structures such as out buildings and an industrial center, were totally destroyed.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - May 11th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott and TMS issue statement on Genesys 300 - Speedway Digest - May 11th, 2020
- BBC TMS star Isa Guha reveals she peed in a cup on open-top bus tour celebrating famous 2005 Ashes win - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Nexstim Plc to host Webinars to Present a Business Update and Information about the Rights Issue 2020 - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Share, Opportunities, SWOT Analysis and Forecast-2026 - Press... - May 11th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2020 Financial Results on May 13, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Florida TMS Clinic Offering Copay Waiver for Those Suffering from Depression and Anxiety Affected by COVID-19 - MENAFN.COM - May 1st, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 1st, 2020
- Global Toll Management System (TMS) Market With Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pokemon GO Elite TM: Best Moves to Teach Pokemon - Heavy.com - May 1st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Associated Press - March 25th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 25th, 2020
- GTreasury Supports New Survey of Corporate Treasurers That Gathers Industry Response Data to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Strategy Analytics: Coronavirus Expected to Add 5% to Global Video-on-Demand Subscriptions In 2020 - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - March 25th, 2020
- Neuronetics Hits Major Milestones with More Than 2.5 Million Treatments and 1000 Installations of Its NeuroStar Advanced Therapy System -... - March 16th, 2020
- TMS Red Team ups record to 6-0 | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Gallery Systems Unveils TMS Collections 2020, the Most Powerful Release of its Online Collections Management Software, to Help Museums Manage Their... - March 16th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) MarMarket 2020 with Top Companies, Growth Factors and Development Estimation up to 2025 - NJ MMA News - March 16th, 2020
- US$2.68: That's What Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc. Is Worth After Its Latest Results - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Why Did You Move Your Hand Just Now? Linking Free Will and Movement - The Great Courses Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Student of the week: The Marin Schools Marissa Ahuncain - Marin Independent Journal - March 16th, 2020
- [Major Update] TMS Confirms, Dr Stone Season 2: What will be the story story arc tell us? Release Date ... - Union Journalism - March 16th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And... - March 16th, 2020
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Shiny Pokemon: where to find and how to catch shinies - RPG Site - March 16th, 2020
- 7 Takeaways From REWIRED, An inewsource Investigation - KPBS - February 24th, 2020
- Global transportation management systems (TMS) market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 13.4% over the forecast period from 2018-2024 - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Author talk leads to TMS anti-bullying club - Teton Valley News - February 24th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc 2019 Full Year Results - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Best informative report on Cyber- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market is growing rapidly with provides detailed profile - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Size 2020-2025: Why It Is Important? and Key Manufacturers| MAG & More , Magstim , MagVenture -... - February 24th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan should 'do the right thing' and withdraw TMs - World Intellectual Property Review - February 24th, 2020
- The Morning Show: From Reality To The Screen - Old Gold & Black - February 24th, 2020
- 3Gtms Announces Additions to Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 24th, 2020
- project44 and BluJay Solutions announce new partnership with a focus on visibility - Logistics Management - January 24th, 2020
- Time to move on: How to rework Pokemon Gos TM system - Pokemon GO Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Rita Oras 4th Talent Show Judging Gig Just ANOTHER Cash Grab? - Talent Recap - January 5th, 2020
- These Breakthroughs Made the 2010s the Decade of the Brain - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (Tms): Market 2019 Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in The Upcoming Year to Expand its Size in Overseas Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Read This If You're Considering Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 31st, 2019
- Digitizing Transportation Processes: A Win/Win for Shippers and Carriers | 2019-12-06 - SupplyChainBrain - December 31st, 2019
- Outlook on the World's $1+ Billion Tumor Ablation Market, 2019-2024 - Minimally Invasive (MI) Procedures are Gaining Widespread Preference -... - December 31st, 2019
- The Morning Show Season Finale Recap: Cut the Feed - Vulture - December 27th, 2019
- ConnectToBrain: The dynamics of the brain - SciTech Europa - December 27th, 2019
- Hedge Funds Have Never Been This Bullish On EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) - Yahoo Finance - December 27th, 2019
- New Security Scanning Technology Looks To Expand In Cincinnati Area Businesses, Government, Schools - WVXU - December 27th, 2019
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends and Outlook 2020 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- This Year's 4 Most Mind-Boggling Stories About the Brain - Singularity Hub - December 27th, 2019
- New kid on the block | easter 2019 - BerthoudSurveyor.com - November 13th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - November 13th, 2019
- November 2019 LM Viewpoint: Transformation starts with the basics - Logistics Management - November 13th, 2019
- Real-Life Telepathy Is Closer Than You Think - The Daily Beast - November 13th, 2019
- Sullivan takes over TMS wrestling program | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- TMS projects aim to bring bullying to a halt - Tahlequah Daily Press - October 28th, 2019
- TMS Busy in the Shetland Islands, Toft Pier Development in Full Swing - Dredging Today - October 28th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Tand D.com - October 28th, 2019
- Previewing the NASCAR playoffs at Texas Motor Speedway: The contenders, their success on remaining tracks and more - The Dallas Morning News - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter and Nine Months 2019 Financial Results on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2019
- How the UK investment landscape is helping alleviate NHS load on mental health - BQ Live - October 28th, 2019
- How Old Dominion is using technology to better serve its customers - Fast Company - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) estimated to achieve average price target of $5.72 - Market Seat - October 28th, 2019
- Mexican carrier TMS partners with Fr8Hub - American Journal of Transportation - October 15th, 2019
- Changes in the Nexstim Plcs Board - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Fr8Hub CEO Ohad Axelrod to Discuss US-Mexico Cross-Border Trade at Journal of Commerce Inland Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Welcome to the Shiny New Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - October 15th, 2019
- TMS Motor Spares Ltd - March 13th, 2019
- TMS - Welcome to TMS - January 9th, 2019
- TMS - Wholesale - November 23rd, 2018
- Temecula Middle School - Official Site - July 15th, 2018
- TMS Engineering - Home - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Therapy Center of Tulsa - Cutting Edge Depression ... - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Worldwide A belgian company operating worldwide! - May 24th, 2018