We are becoming like all the other nations, the queen says in a moment of despair. We have unhappy prisoners, indifferent citizens and the young people refuse to reproduce.
Actually, the nation she rules with her husband, Roy, has just one of each of those things: one prisoner (a recent hostage, good at chess), one citizen (a doofus interested in pyrotechnics) and one young person (the 17-year-old prince, currently away on a mission).
Thats because Terra Firma, as the queen has named it, is a micronation: a self-declared kingdom located on an abandoned 6,000-square-foot antiaircraft platform six miles out to sea. It may not boast much land or populace, but it has a national anthem, a tatty flag, a centralized health service and a constitution if the queen could ever complete it.
Terra Firma, the play by Barbara Hammond about this country, likewise seems in need of more work. Ambitious and smart, it is not yet coherent, at least not in its world premiere, which opened on Thursday at the Baruch Performing Arts Center. Shifting from whimsical comedy to light satire to lumpy allegory, it quickly strips its gears and stops cold.
The whimsy, coming right at the start, proves especially deadly in Shana Coopers staging for a newly founded theater company called the Coop. Mild humor about the micronations pretensions to real statehood seems especially vaporous on the imposing set (by Andrew Boyce) and amid the foreboding ocean roar of Jane Shaws sound design. But at least the absurdity of the premise has a historical precedent: Terra Firma is based on a real place called Sealand, established in the late 1960s off the east coast of England.
The humans seem less precedented. As the citizen (John Keating) and Roy (Gerardo Rodriguez) hoist their hostage (Tom OKeefe) onto the platform and proceed to interrogate him, we might almost be watching a Three Stooges routine, except with less finesse. Clumsily handled as well is the back story: The citizen and Roy, believing that recent nearby explosions are the work of enemies bent on their destruction, are desperate to understand the danger theyre in.
That danger, we quickly understand from the scripts broad hints, is ecological. When the young prince (Daniel Molina) returns from his reconnaissance mission, he brings with him a sliver of a hedge to decorate the homeland; it is apparently the last piece of greenery left in the world. And when a weather-beaten diplomat (T. Ryder Smith) arrives to negotiate the hostage crisis, we learn that the reason he is the first to heed Terra Firmas calls for help delivered in bottles cast out to sea is that there may be no one else left to answer.
The queen, unwilling to credit such dire suspicions, doubles down on her queenliness. Because she is played by Andrus Nichols the marvelously grave Elinor in Kate Hamills Sense & Sensibility a character that could easily turn camp instead comes across as somehow both deluded and brave. Despite her stained blouse and paste tiara, she practices holding her right arm aloft whenever she appears, as if searching for the perfect salute to comfort a grateful people.
This pathos gets at what the play does best: It understands and in some way forgives human limitation. It fares less well when it attempts a critique of rulers who reject reality even if its a reality they helped create. A parallel is suggested between the characters pride and the disaster now engulfing them, as if Terra Firma were the industrialized West in miniature, unable to steer away from the brink of climate change. In an authors note, Hammond writes that she saw in the story of the real Sealand a metaphor for the human predicament.
But that comparison is under-drawn and illogical; a few people stuck on a massive steel life raft for several decades cannot have much to do with rising sea levels and whatever else is eating the rest of the world. The Terra Firmans arent nuclear physicists who built faulty reactors like the characters in Lucy Kirkwoods The Children, a much more sophisticated treatment of the same theme. Theyre refugees.
So, in a way, are the members of the Coop, recently formed as a kind of breakaway republic from another theater company, Bedlam. Terra Firma, the Coops inaugural production, matches its mission to stage plays that resonate with timeless themes and universal truths, but in this case resonance isnt enough.
Thats a problem built into the bloated mash-up of genres: Comedy is based on particularizing human behavior, but allegory is based on generalizing it. In trying to be both, and an ecological tragedy as well, Terra Firma pulls in too many directions. Though the cast especially Nichols, OKeefe and Smith is strong, and Cooper makes lovely stage pictures on the rusty platform, theres something thin and self-defeating about the resulting circular logic. Like most life raft stories, Terra Firma doesnt hold water.
Tickets Through Nov. 10 at Baruch Performing Arts Center, Manhattan; 212-352-3101, thecoopnyc.org. Running time: 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Residents urged to take care after house fire in Sealand - LeaderLive - June 1st, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Analysis, Trends, Forecast, 2019-2025 -... - June 1st, 2020
- Revamped Aldi Chester store to open its doors next week - The Chester Standard - May 11th, 2020
- SeaWorld trainer torn limb from limb by killer whale turned 'psychotic' by captivity - Mirror Online - April 26th, 2020
- Man charged with alleged offence under new Covid 19 legislation following incident in Deeside on Thursday - Deeside.com - April 9th, 2020
- Heres Why Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Must Use Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - March 22nd, 2020
- Flintshire man who went to see son play in band in Chester caught drink-driving on way home - The Chester Standard - March 22nd, 2020
- More than three weeks of overnight closures on Cheshire roads to start - Cheshire Live - March 22nd, 2020
- The 72 businesses with a five star food hygiene rating in Flintshire - Daily Post - March 16th, 2020
- Sealand reduces transit time between Chile and the US for table grapes - FreshPlaza.com - February 24th, 2020
- China firms in $10 billion share sale rush as funding rules eased amid virus worries - Reuters - February 24th, 2020
- Photographer from Deeside on 'cloud nine' with accolade - LeaderLive - February 24th, 2020
- Roadworks in and around Flintshire over the next few days - Deeside.com - February 24th, 2020
- Sealand Community Council to decide three new positions by co-option | The Leader - LeaderLive - January 30th, 2020
- Chinese New Year Gifting 2020: From Gucci to Faberg, Rats & Mice Galore | Jewellery | Watches & Jewellery - Luxury London - January 14th, 2020
- This is what was happening in Chester as the 1990s dawned - Cheshire Live - January 2nd, 2020
- Easter eggs are already on sale in Plymouth - Plymouth Live - January 2nd, 2020
- All the shops and businesses Chester said goodbye to in 2019 - Cheshire Live - January 2nd, 2020
- Somaliland in the Guide to the 'almost countries' of The World - MENAFN.COM - December 27th, 2019
- SeaWorld Prisoner Kyuquot the Orca Needs Our Help! - The Union Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Former football star and Telegraph photographer Gary Talbot dies at 82 - Lancashire Telegraph - December 27th, 2019
- Panerai Celebrates the Year of the Rat With Sparsello-Decorated Luminor Sealand - HYPEBEAST - December 18th, 2019
- Global Smart Container Market Set to Reach $5.74 Billion by 2024 - Asia-Pacific Expected to Grow at the Highest CAGR - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 16th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Deeside.com - October 16th, 2019
- Queues on Sealand Road in Chester due to water works - Cheshire Live - October 14th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - LeaderLive - October 14th, 2019
- Terra Firma Imagines a Tiny Country Surviving the Rising Waters - TheaterMania.com - October 14th, 2019
- IN PICTURES: Terry is first person to complete nine-mile swim from Sealand to Dovercourt - Harwich and Manningtree Standard - October 1st, 2019
- Great Escapes: The Pristine Shores and Year-Round Charm of Denmarks North Sealand - Barron's - October 1st, 2019
- Hefty bill for Sealand farmer who ignored warnings to clear waste off his land - LeaderLive - October 1st, 2019
- Surfer cleans his playground by turning pollution into functional fashion - East Coast Radio - October 1st, 2019
- Principality of Sealand - Become A Lord Or Lady With Sealand - May 14th, 2019
- Sealand - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 14th, 2019
- Sealand Marine - 4 Locations Across Nebraska and South ... - May 14th, 2019
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand | Sealand History - January 31st, 2019
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand - January 11th, 2019
- Sealand | West Marine - January 11th, 2019
- Sealand | Hetalia Archives | FANDOM powered by Wikia - January 11th, 2019
- Vacuflush Parts and Systems for marine and RV toilets. - January 11th, 2019
- Sealand | Dynamic Ship Simulator III Wiki - dss-iii.wikia.com - December 5th, 2018
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - December 5th, 2018
- SeaLand is now Dometic | Dometic - Mobile living made easy. - November 24th, 2018
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - October 16th, 2018
- Search for a route - sealand.com - September 16th, 2018
- Sealand Marine Toilet Parts | West Marine - September 16th, 2018
- Sealand The Mystery Solved - Part One - YouTube - August 30th, 2018
- Sealand | MicroWiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 29th, 2018
- Home | Sealand Aviation Ltd., Campbell River aircraft ... - June 29th, 2018
- Principality of Sealand - Wikipedia - June 5th, 2018
- About - Principality of Sealand - February 6th, 2018
- Sealand - Wikitravel - August 25th, 2017
- About Us - Principality of Sealand - August 25th, 2017
- 150 years of the Shipping Forecast: The magic and poetry of Dogger, Fisher and German Bight - Country Life - August 25th, 2017
- Chester floodplain housing scheme unanimously rejected - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - August 6th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 14th, 2017
- Independence Day 2017 SeaLand & Port Schedule - American Journal of Transportation - June 27th, 2017
- Pivot Points in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - June 21st, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving -40.00% in Session - BVN - June 17th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 16th, 2017
- sealand toilet | eBay - June 14th, 2017
- Inquiry date for Chester flood plain homes plan - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - June 14th, 2017
- How Are Analysts Interpreting Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)'s Relative Strength? - Nelson Research - June 8th, 2017
- About Sealand - June 7th, 2017
- Malawi govt over paid farm input suppliers by K61billion - Nyasa Times - June 7th, 2017
- Sealand - The Principality of Sealand - thoughtco.com - April 8th, 2017
- Gardening club launch at Sealand and Queensferry Dementia Caf - Deeside.com - April 8th, 2017
- Sealand of the Pacific - Wikipedia - March 11th, 2017
- Sealand - The Principality of Sealand - March 8th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Unregistered Sales of Equity Securities - Market Exclusive - March 2nd, 2017
- Global Camping Toilet Market 2017 By Manufacturers Zodi, Camco, SeaLand, Thetford Marine - NetDugout - March 2nd, 2017
- Did you get married in this Sealand church? - Daily Post North Wales - March 1st, 2017
- Burglar in 'lunatic' Flintshire police chase jailed - Daily Post North Wales - February 23rd, 2017
- Floatplane fuselage donated for entrance feature - Campbell River Mirror - February 22nd, 2017
- sealand | eBay - February 15th, 2017
- Sealand man jailed for high speed police chase near Chester - LeaderLive - February 10th, 2017
- Schedules - SeaLand - December 28th, 2016
- SeaLand Toilets - Motorhome, RV & Marine - PPL Motor Homes - December 23rd, 2016
- The Principality of Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or ... - December 8th, 2016