In this article we take a look at the 15 Biggest Islands on Earth. Click to skip ahead and jump to the 5 Biggest Islands on Earth.
While everybody wants to head to one of the countries with most islands in the world for their dream island getaways and the ultimate island hopping experiences - its the islands with the gigantic sizes that leave us awestruck. And, if islands are the talk of interest for you, you have brought yourself at the right discussion!
Of all the bizarre COVID 19 news we have heard recently, islands have apparently been in heavy demand for high net worth individuals ever since the pandemic started. And not just as a post-pandemic travel destination but as a real estate investment. Even as the economy dips, the wealthy have been quick to gauge the lucrativeness of islands as a safe-haven from the pandemic a perfect place to isolate while enjoying the tropical paradise life. Come to think of it, it does seem like the dream!
While many of us have wished for a possibility to holiday on an island through the pandemic, it isnt such a farfetched dream for the ultra-rich. In fact, owning private islands may not be out of ordinary for the wealthy. While a lot of them might have planned to acquire their own islands, COVID 19 has just put a timeline to it. Many of the buyers see this as a contingency plan for any future mishaps and an island to themselves now seems much more consequential. Theres also a Now or Never sentiment that has caused the buyers to commit to owning islands in these times.
However, the wish to own an isolation destination is not the only reason many are looking to buy islands this season. It is also a means to invest in a foreign country to earn citizenship. While Caribbean has always been one of the most popular spots for owning private islands, demand has also surged in countries with good COVID handling mechanisms, like Australia and New Zealand.
If you too would like to take social distancing to another level, or have always dreamt of owning your own private island it might not be as impossible as it sounds. One can buy an island for less than 100,000, depending upon the location, the development status and amenities available on the island. A small island in Nova Scotia, Canada is currently listed at a price of USD 68,104. Some, more pricier ones might come with extra perks like a private helipad or fully functional residence with recreational facilities.
Whether you are looking to escape to an island or not, islands are an interesting topic that entices a lot of us. While there are over 2000 islands on the oceans in the world, we are likely to know so little about them. The most famous islands of the world include Santorini in Greece, Bali and Java in Indonesia and Maui in Hawaii, among others. However, when it comes to the biggest islands, some of them have always confused enthusiasts and been on the topic of interests of experts alike. One such island that features on our list is Great Britain, which is not only the ninth largest island on the Earth but also the largest island in the whole of Europe. It is one of the few island civilizations which have been reached the status of a global empire.
On another hand there is Australia, which clearly seems like an island to us -- however, it might not be! Is Australia an island - is a question that leaves the best of us perplexed. To put it simply, the island continent doesnt qualify for a position on our list because it already checks off all the requirements of being a continent! According to geographical definitions, an island and continent are considered different. Therefore, even if Australia is larger than Greenland, it cannot be considered an island and Britannica explains it perfectly for us.
As opposed to the bigwigs, there are also the smallest islands of the Earth on the other end of the spectrum, which are equally interesting to know about. Some of the smallest ones include Smyley Island, Mornington Island and Grande Comore. But if you are wondering what is the smallest island in the world, the answer is Bishop Rock, a part of the Isles of Scilly, an archipelago in the Atlantic ocean in Cornwall, South West England. On the island which is 46m long and 16 meters wide, there is only a lighthouse. The rest of the list we might tackle on a future article! And then there are also the biggest river islands, like Majuli island, which is the largest river island in India and the world, as well!
Some of the most beautiful islands in the world, also might not feature in the largest. For example the beautiful islands in India. If you are thinking of taking a long sabbatical from city life and finding a way to relax when we finally get back to traveling, maybe an escape to the 10 Most Remote Inhabited Islands in the World would be of your interest.
Coming back to our current topic, we have used trusted sources like Britannica Encyclopedia and other informative sites like Brilliant Maps and World Atlas to compile our list. Lets explore the biggest islands on Earth.
Area : 109,965 km/ 42457.72 sq mi The largest island of Philippines and where the city of Manila is nestled. The Luzon strait separated the island from Taiwan. Home to many bays and gulfs, Luzon covers almost one-third of land area in Philippines. Pixabay/Public Domain
Area : 111,583 km/ 43082.43 sq mi New Zealands North Island, is divided from South Island by the Cook Strait. The island is home to a terrain rising to central mountain range with volcanic Mount Ruapehu at its highest point and within the Tongariro National Park, which is a designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Area : 138,794 km/ 53588.66 sq mi Surrounded by Malaysia, Sumatra, Borneo and Bali, the beautiful Indonesian island is one of the most prominent islands of the country. The island has Jakarta, Indonesias Capital, and largest city.
Area : 145,836 km/ 56307.59 sq mi The larger of Indonesias two islands, South Island is dotted with mountains. The island houses several World Heritage sites including a protected wilderness area Te Wahipounamu. Achim Baque/Shutterstock.com
Area: 188,522 km / 72,789 sq mi
The fourth biggest island in Indonesia, Sulawesi is quite unique and peculiar. The island is interestingly shaped with four peninsulas and three gulfs. The landscape is dotted with mountains, the highest peak of which is Mount Rantekombola and one might even come across quite a few active volcanoes.
Area: 196,236 km / 75,767 sq mi
Ellesmere Island, the number 10 on our list of biggest islands on Earth, is the third largest island in Canada and the largest of the Queen Elizabeth Islands in the country. It is the most northerly island in the Arctic Archipelago. The island lies in Nunavut territory, and the Kennedy Channel and Kane basin separate it from Greenland. Along with being interestingly located, Ellesmere also has a fascinating history associated with it and is believed to have been visited by the Vikings in the 10th Century. Speaking of Canada, we should mention that this is the country which has the longest coastline (125,567 miles, to be precise).
Area: 209,331 km/ 80,823 sq mi
Separated from the European mainland by the English Channel and the North Sea, Great Britain includes three nations namely England, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain and several other islands like the Isle of Wight, Isles of Scilly, we already mentioned, and others are marked with rich history, medieval architecture and prehistoric sites.
Area: 217, 291 km/ 83,896 sq mi
Canadas second largest island also finds a place among the biggest islands on Earth. It's a 'little bit' greater in size than Great Britain. Victoria Island is special since it contains the largest island-in-a-lake-on-an-island-in-a-lake-on-an-island.
Area: 227,898 km/ 87,992 sq mi
Japans main and most populous island, Honshu, houses some of the countrys major cities and sites and is also home to the famous snow-capped volcano, Mount Fuji. The island is the second-most populous island in the world right after Java in Indonesia. Honshu separates the Sea of Japan from the Northern Pacific Ocean and forms most of Japans industry belt including cities like Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and Hiroshima.
Area: 443,065 km/ 171,068 sq mi
The largest island lying wholly in Indonesia is a fascinating elongated mass of land running along a diagonal axis. The island is surrounded by a lot of other important islands in the vicinity and is separated from the Malay Peninsula by the famous Strait of Malacca. Sumatra is also known for its wide range of fauna and the unique animal species found here.
Click to continue reading and see the 5 Biggest Islands on Earth.
Disclosure: 15 Biggest Islands on Earth is originally published on Insider Monkey.
See the rest here:
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- PM lifts restrictions on southern islands, 20 new cases reported - EyeWitness News - August 10th, 2020
- A promise is a promise at least to these two - Coastal Point - August 10th, 2020
- The Good Place Season 3: The Best One-Liners of The Season - TheThings - August 10th, 2020
- Five of the worlds best private islands for sale - Financial Times - August 8th, 2020
- Chinas secret war on America, a Fox News sex scandal, and a space-time wormhole in this weeks dubious tabloids - Boing Boing - August 8th, 2020
- Recycling being boosted on holiday island of Santorini | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- St. Barts Travel: 7 Things Not To Miss When Visiting the Island - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- The Nautilus Maldives refreshed and ready to reopen on 1 September - ITCM - August 7th, 2020
- JOAN MULLER: Home is where the renovation is - Financial Mail - August 7th, 2020
- Hey, You Free on Friday for a Meeting and a Bank Heist? - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- Solitude and adventure on the Sunshine Coast - The Province - August 6th, 2020
- Water, Sand and Plenty of Elbow Room on 8 Wild, Protected Coastlines - The New York Times - August 6th, 2020
- Bermuda Introduces a One-Year Visa That Allows Digital Nomads to Work From an Island - Robb Report - August 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein conspiracy theories? All the private island theories - Film Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Tahiti and Bora Bora are Open to Travellers Again - Outlook India - August 2nd, 2020
- How the pandemic is piquing UHNW interest in private islands - - Spear's WMS - August 2nd, 2020
- Private island retreat project launched in the Abacos - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2020
- Montage Announces Development of a New Private Island Resort in The Bahamas - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 31st, 2020
- Private six-acre Connecticut island hits the market for $2.5million and it's just an hour from NYC - Brinkwire - July 31st, 2020
- Where to stay in St Vincent and the Grenadines for a tropical 'air bridge' holiday - The Telegraph - July 31st, 2020
- Partiers prompt Baker to review gathering limits - Taunton Daily Gazette - July 31st, 2020
- Can you really buy your own private island getaway? - The Star Online - July 29th, 2020
- Plan A Staycation At One Of These Beautiful Island Resorts In Malaysia - Tatler Malaysia - July 29th, 2020
- Is There a Connection Between Jeffrey Epstein and SpongeBob SquarePants? - The Dispatch - July 29th, 2020
- Sweeping Conservation Initiative Protects Rare Lands on Cuttyhunk - The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News - July 29th, 2020
- Clubs in Crisis: Artists and Indie Venues on the Future of Live Music Post-COVID - FLOOD Magazine - July 29th, 2020
- Conspiracy theorists think theres a connection between Epstein and SpongeBob - The Daily Dot - July 29th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos Is Now Open for Tourism Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Laws Protecting Private Employees' Speech and Political Activity Against Employer Retaliation: Focused on Political Opinions, Party Affiliation, or... - July 28th, 2020
- The Royal Family has survived against the odds - but Harry and Meghan may cause lasting damage - iNews - July 28th, 2020
- Taylor Swifts 9 Richest Exes, Ranked By Net Worth | TheThings - TheThings - July 28th, 2020
- The Loch Lomond island home to a colony of wallabies - Glasgow Live - July 27th, 2020
- This is how much Kriti Sanon earned in a year, and how she spends her crores - GQ India - July 27th, 2020
- The best hotels for all-inclusive holidays to Crete, including family-friendly aqua parks and adults-only overwater villas - The Telegraph - July 27th, 2020
- Private Islands AWE - July 26th, 2020
- Can I visit the Maldives? Here's how to do it as the islands reopen to tourism - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Infant with heart condition airlifted from Lakshadweep islands to Kochi for treatment, dies - The New Indian Express - July 26th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Turks and Caicos, 7 Private Islands You Can Visit - Caribbean Journal - July 24th, 2020
- Looking to unwind outside the city? Abu Dhabis stunning resorts, islands and parks are ideal for some quiet time - Happytrips - July 24th, 2020
- Day Cruisers to Tivua Island to Get Involved in Reef Sustainability - FTNnews.com - July 24th, 2020
- Donald Trump says 'just ask Prince Andrew' when probed about Epsteins 'paedophile island' - Express - July 24th, 2020
- 50 million to boost islands' economy - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - July 24th, 2020
- Maldives has reopened, but a vacay won't be cheap - IOL - July 24th, 2020
- How 5 eco-friendly resorts survived the pandemic without guests - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 23rd, 2020
- Antigua's Hottest All-Inclusive Resort Is Open Again - Caribbean Journal - July 23rd, 2020