Posted on: January 25, 2021, 03:52h.
Last updated on: January 25, 2021, 09:55h.
A recent federal appeals courts decision against a Trump Administration-era opinion on the Wire Act will almost certainly lead to exponential growth in online poker in the US. Thats according to 888 Holdings Yaniv Sherman, who talked with Casino.org after the ruling.
Currently, only Delaware, Nevada, and New Jersey participate in the Multi-State Internet Gaming Association. That allows sites, such as WSOP.com, to operate in those states to have players play against each other. That connectivity allowed the World Series of Poker to hold the first two days of its COVID-forced hybrid-format Main Event in both New Jersey and Nevada last month.
Theres interest among other states in joining the group. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) signed a shared liquidity gaming bill into law a couple of weeks ago. Pennsylvanias expanded gaming legislation passed in 2017 would allow the state to enter the multi-state compact. However, Pennsylvania and other states have been hesitant to join. Thats due in large part to the Wire Act opinion the Department of Justice posted for review in 2018.
Before then, the 1961 law had been accepted as having a narrow application for using communications devices to transmit sports betting information across state lines. Trumps Department of Justice sought to expand the scope of the law to apply to other forms of gaming. However, that led to the successful lawsuit filed by the New Hampshire Lottery Corp.
As President Biden was sworn into office on the day of the First Circuit Court of Appeals decision, it seems unlikely that an appeal to the Supreme Court will take place, as the new president was cool to the idea of an expanded Wire Act scope.
Sherman, who serves as a senior vice president for 888 and head of its US division, noted that online poker in New Jersey generated about $38 million in revenue for licensees. In neighboring Pennsylvania, where, for now, players can only compete against others in the state, poker sites made $36 million.
Combined, New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware have a population of slightly less than 13 million. Thats roughly the same size as Pennsylvania. Add in Michigans 10 million residents, and Sherman said the pool of players becomes quite sizeable.
And while the expansion of gaming may have a cannibalizing effect to some extent as other states approve sports betting and consider iGaming, Sherman said that wont happen with online poker.
With poker, its a net positive for everybody because it continues to grow, Sherman told Casino.org. If you have those (five) states, it could be well north of $200-$250 million in the short term.
And if youre looking at the 2025 joint projections that weve seen from Morgan Stanley and other reputable analysts and banks, youre talking about the gaming market being worth anywhere between $10 to $12 billion in 2025. Then I would argue that poker out of that should be well-positioned for about a 10 percent share, he continued.
With the favorable Wire Act ruling, Sherman hopes it will lead to more progress on the iGaming front. It may lead to West Virginia, another state with iGaming, to become part of the multi-state network. Elsewhere, nine operators in Michigan launched their casino apps this past weekend, and other states like Indiana have filed bills to allow online poker and casino gaming.
With more liquidity and more states, we can offer an amazing customer experience across the nation, he said. Were very excited about this. I mean, its been something weve been waiting for for a very long time.
While 888 operates its own online gaming websites, it also serves as a back-end provider platform provider as well.
The day before the Wire Act ruling, 888 and Caesars Interactive Entertainment announced a multi-year extension of their business-to-business partnership. The deal means 888 will continue to provide the platform for Caesars WSOP.com poker room.
With the extension in place, Caesars is looking to expand its online iGaming and poker network into other states.
In addition, 888 plans to roll out its Poker 8 platform in the US because of the deal. Sherman said the new platform will offer benefits across the board for players of all skill levels. That includes more mobile functionality to allow players to play more games on their phone or iPad and multitask easier while playing.
We added a portrait mode, which was important for players, because we realized that they wanted to be able to play with just one hand, he said.
The new platform also includes responsible gaming enhancements to ensure players are playing within their means.
Sherman noted 888 officially launched in Europe in November and said players liked using the new platform.
See the article here:
- Five-Step Guide to Becoming a Sponsored Poker Player - PokerTube - November 29th, 2021
- The Biggest Bubble in Poker History Bursts in Episode #8 of Triton Million - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- Why are poker players obsessed with CryptoPunk NFTs? - Coin Rivet - November 29th, 2021
- AEX celebrates its 8th anniversary with 'Texas Hold'em Poker' competition - AMBCrypto News - November 29th, 2021
- By the Numbers: 17 Years of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) at the Rio - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Time Is (Still) Now For Change In The Poker Hall of Fame - PocketFives - November 29th, 2021
- October Online Poker Revenue Remains Steady in PA and NJ, Online Gambling Revenues Soar - CardsChat.com - November 29th, 2021
- Police probe 'strip poker' footage of cops after officers filmed in flat without consent - Scottish Daily Record - November 29th, 2021
- The EndBoss Takes It All - MIT Grad Ishaan Chugh Reveals What Its Like To Win Pokers Top Spot! - News18 - November 29th, 2021
- BetMGM Poker Running Spin the Wheel Promo in Pennsylvania - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Atlantic City Poker Rooms Remove COVID-Related Seating Restrictions - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker qualifies for the World Series of Poker - Pounding The Rock - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker earns berth into World Series of Poker Main Event - Larry Brown Sports - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Bill Passes Senate, Awaits Governor's Signature - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- "Paul Pierce and Phil Ivey to participate in crypto-based poker tournament for charity": Celtics legend to... - The Sportsrush - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Legalized as Governor Signs Gambling Expansion Bill - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut on the Verge of Legalizing Online Poker, Casino Games and Sports Betting - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Spurs legend Tony Parker is 'very excited' to be the first qualified player for WSOP Main Event - mySA - May 29th, 2021
- WSOP and 888 Banks Biggest Share of New Jersey Online Poker Revenue in April - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Will The Pandemic Kill Our Love Of Live Poker? - Casino.Org News - May 29th, 2021
- Online Poker Launches In Michigan Friday Morning - CardPlayer.com - January 30th, 2021
- 4th Annual Ace of Hearts Poker Run benefiting the American Heart Association - WKRG News 5 - January 30th, 2021
- Is There A Future for Nationwide Online Gaming and Poker in the US? - Poker News Daily - January 30th, 2021
- Online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - INFORUM - January 30th, 2021
- Fed Needs a Poker Face to Avoid Taper Tell - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- Is online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - The Dickinson Press - January 30th, 2021
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Justice Kagan: Poker Shark - Above the Law - January 30th, 2021
- The FIVES Poker Podcast: WPT in the Headlines, Polk Tilts Negreanu - PocketFives - January 30th, 2021
- Partypoker US Network Posts Big Online Poker Revenue Gains in New Jersey During the Final Quarter of 2020 - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Los Angeles Poker Rooms Given Green Light to Reopen this Week - CardsChat.com - January 30th, 2021
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020