Never in a million years would I dream of being in this situation
For 22-year old poker player Ethan Yau, the situation hes referring to is being a newly crowned World Series of Poker gold bracelet winner. In the early hours of Monday morning, Yau topped the 2,502-entry field of WSOP Event #26 ($500 NLHE Grande Finale) to claim the $164,494 first-place prize and his first gold bracelet. And, he did it all while streaming on YouTube to an audience of thousands.
Yau is the first to admit, hes not a tournament pro. For the past couple of years, Yau has been focused on playing live NLHE cash games and doing it all in front of the camera for his rapidly growing YouTube channel, RampagePoker. When his summer plans of flying to Las Vegas for the first time to play at the WSOP were derailed due to the coronoavirus, he pivoted to picking a weekend in New Jersey to get his first taste of the World Series of Poker by playing online.
One of the cool experiences for me is getting to play in a WSOP event for the first time in my life because Im twenty-two, Yau said. I wasnt able to go to Vegas last year and I had planned to go this summer. Unfortunately, that never worked out. So I just had the intention of trying to have a good time and also put out an entertaining stream for the people that watch my videos.
What started out simply as possible content for Yaus 22.5K subscribers, turned into something much more. Sunday night turned into Monday morning and Yau found himself progressing deeper in the tournament. His viewer count began to soar and those viewers were there to cheer him on. And maybe even guide him a little here and there.
The stream played a really huge part in helping me out because, for one, Im obviously new to the game. So Im very unfamiliar with different pros. I knew that the WSOP events were very pro heavy and super tough, he said. So the stream helped me navigate through the tournament where if there was someone that they knew, theyd tell me. Theyd say this player to your right is a huge, crazy prosuper, super good so try to avoid them even though you have position on them.
It was really cool to have that instantaneous feedback to help me navigate through the tournament. If I ever made a mistakeI would know immediately. So just being able to kind of tighten up and play a little bit better, getting that feedback and knowing what mistakes I was making. That was huge to kind of prevent and prolong the eventual punt that I assumed I would make.
Yau has always been open to audience feedback when it comes to poker. Thats part of what makes his WSOP victory extra special, as it was his audience that drove him to compete at higher levels in the first place.
Unlike a generation of online grinders that picked up poker through a family home game or by watching Moneymaker on ESPN, Yau stumbled into the game just two years ago. As a student at UMass, he first gave playing blackjack a serious shot. But after losing a decent chunk of change as a college student a friend helped him switched over to poker.
In the first thirty minutes, I lost five hundred dollars. I lost two buy-ins in basically thirty minutesterrible, he recalled.So I walked away from that experience thinking alright I am going to try and get good at this somehow or never play again.
Yau went to YouTube and searched for ways to get better at poker. He quickly found videos from some of the top poker vloggers like Andrew Neeme, Brad Owen, Johnny Moreno, and Jaman Burton. He absorbed the content and not only learned more about poker by watching them, but he became inspired by them.
I had some experience making YouTube videos before. I used to make gaming videos, he said. So I was familiar with editing videos and posting a schedule. So I thought why not just go for it? Try. Because I needed to find a way to learn anyway.
So Yau followed in the vloggers footsteps and created his first poker video in January 2018.
It was one of my first five sessions playing live ever, he said. I was still unsure of how the button moved.
What he lacked in poker knowledge at the time he more than made up for with drive. He kept an open mind and responded quickly to those who watched what he was creating.
I got a lot of helpful feedback and a lot of real criticism, which I needed. I kept making videos, I kept learning from the YouTube comments. And that was honestly one of the main ways Ive learned, just getting feedback from random people online. And it was very harsh, but it was what I needed to hear to learn. Over time, I have improved along the way.
Not only has he improved as a player along the way but his channel has flourished as well. Over the past two years, Yau has created over 170 poker vlogs some of which have upwards of 80,000 views.
Yaus gold bracelet weekend in New Jersey has come to an end but his YouTube exploits are just beginning. He says he has plans to expand into blackjack and golfing channels while keeping his focus on RampagePoker. When the coast is clear hell be traveling to poker rooms across the U.S., and possibly internationally, to give his vlogs a different flavor.
Yaus journey through poker has been helped by the advice of his audience but as he drives home after winning a WSOP gold bracelet he also has some feedback for those who watched him do it.
If someone like me who has virtually zero experience with tournaments, poker or studying the gameI think if someone like me can win a tournament, anyone can. Seriously, like literally its the dream. If I can do it, anyone can. You just need a little bit of luck on your side and anything can happen.
See the original post:
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - December 16th, 2020
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020
- Poker Strategy: In Omaha, Outs Aren't Everything, It's Whether You Improve Enough - Poker News Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Police arrest suspect connected to apparent killing of professional poker player Susie Zhao - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Daniel Negreanu Thinks Phil Ivey Is the Best Poker Player in the World - NBC Chicago - August 2nd, 2020
- Person in custody in connection with Oakland County professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 1st, 2020
- PKO US: Progressive Knockouts Roll out to Global Poker, WPN and Partypoker NJ - Pokerfuse - August 1st, 2020
- Facebooks New ReBel Poker AI Scores Higher than Pluribus - Beat The Fish - July 31st, 2020
- Ivonne Montealegre discusses how live poker is embracing the online space - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With the Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- Facebook AI ReBel Capable of Beating Poker Pros | My Blog - Tight Poker - July 30th, 2020
- How to attract more luck into your life, using the 'poker mindset' - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition, and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- What Are the Best Poker Apps of 2020? - GameIndustry.com - July 30th, 2020
- Kai Havertz WILL face Rangers as Chelsea 'poker game' forces dramatic U-turn over 80m superstar - Daily Record - July 30th, 2020
- Man Utd in transfer 'poker game' for winger that could save Ed Woodward 55m - Express - July 29th, 2020
- This book is the new 'Moneyball' (and every investor should read it) - The Australian Financial Review - July 28th, 2020
- 5 Best Online Poker Sites for Real Money (2020) - July 26th, 2020
- Best 7 Online Poker Sites (2020) for Real Money - July 26th, 2020
- Best 9 Online Poker Sites for Real Money 2020 - Bonus to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Josh & Heather Altman Threw Son Ace an Adorable Poker-Themed 1st Birthday Bash - Bravo - July 26th, 2020
- Inside the world of Daniel Negreanu: The life and making of poker's biggest superstar - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- Dont Hold Your Breath: Live Poker Not A Top Priority In Reopened PA Casinos Yet - Penn Bets - July 21st, 2020
- Chasing Poker Greatness: #68 Andrew Brokos: Co-Host ThinkingPoker Podcast & Author of Play Optimal Poker - Pokerfuse - July 21st, 2020
- The Phil Ivey Of Poker - HBCU Buzz - July 21st, 2020
- Venetian poker room going to 8-handed tables - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 21st, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Undark Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- NJ Special Legislation and the Impact on Online Casino Players in NY - Blog - The Island Now - July 21st, 2020
- Trump's approach to politics bears the hallmarks of a bad poker player, author says - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020
- Key Points To Consider When Choosing Online Poker Tables - Top10PokerWebsites - July 21st, 2020
- The Most Famous Woman in the History of Gambling - Poker Alice Story - Newswire - July 21st, 2020