As a teenager, Daniel Negreanu would visit the mall in his hometown of Toronto - but he wasnt there to buy clothes.
Instead, he was there simply to watch people walk by.
It was, in part, the making of a genius. He wouldnt realise it at the time, but by studying anyone and everyone who happened to enter his vision, Negreanu was mastering his craft.
When he took to the poker tables, it became his forte. He developed an almost subhuman ability to call his opponents hand, as he assessed his opponents body language on top of their betting patterns.
It would win him championships - six World Series of Poker bracelets, two World Poker Tour titles and over 32million in tournament winnings - and coupled with his quirky and bubbly personality which perfectly lent itself to the televised game, he soon became a true superstar of the felt.
When I was learning the game as a teenager, I just noticed patterns, Negreanu said.
To some people, it may sound a bit silly. Id sit on a bench for like an hour and I wouldnt say anything, and Id watch people walk by.
I would make up stories in my head about who they are. What they were like in high school, whether I liked them, whether I could trust them, would they be honest.
It wouldnt matter if I was wrong, it was just the case of seeing what I could pick up.
Negreanu ended up becoming a blockbuster star of the game he was introduced to by friends at his local snooker centre. He soon got the poker bug and would host private games in his basement, or even play in the cafeteria at school.
Those games were funded by a modest early working life: he was a telemarketer, but didnt like people hanging up on him so quit after one day, and had spells working in Subway sandwiches, as a dishwasher and as a bus boy.
I did a lot of those things in high school, just so I could have enough money to gamble at pool, or go to the pool hall, and eat and have a life, he said.
Those were the only jobs that I had but then as soon as poker took off for me, no more jobs existed.
Ultimately, Negreanu knew he was destined for the big time when he made his debut at the World Series of Poker in 1998. In his very first event, he took home over 130,000 and won a coveted bracelet, which remains the holy grail for players learning the game today.
While it was confirmation that he could compete at the very highest level, it would also prove to be a steep learning curve.
I was like woah, I have so much money, I could never lose this money ever and the two months later, it disappeared, he said.
I think the first one was when I won my bracelet in my first-ever event at the World Series of Poker in 1998. My bankroll went from like $2,000 to $150,000.
But then I started to stake the wrong people, I lent the wrong people money, a few of those things and then it was all gone.
So that was a life lesson of understanding that I had to treat this more like a business, I cant just do this loosey-goosey.
Fast forward 22 years and Negreanu is now content that he has achieved all of his early lifes goals. Primarily, he wanted enough money so he would never have to work by the time he was 30.
He lives with his wife, Amanda, on the outskirts of Las Vegas, in a house built to his dream specifications. He has a pool, a golf simulator, a state-of-the-art TV multi-screen system, video games, everything he needs.
He actively avoids going on lavish holidays and visiting the worlds flashiest places in favour of kicking back on the sofa.
And despite appearing to be a natural showman on the televised poker tables, Negreanu says that he prefers playing online poker in the comfort of his own company - and is currently playing this years World Series of Poker, which is being hosted online on GGPoker.
Contrary to popular belief, people make the assumption about me that I am an extrovert, he explained. I would say its the opposite. Im very introverted and so is my wife.
Introvert doesnt mean that you cant have fun and be socially engaging when you are out, it just means that when you are doing that, you are spending energy and it drains you.
When I am home and relaxed, that is my favourite thing in the world, I feel energised.
I find that a lot of people judge if you dont go out hiking and seeing nature, travel and all that stuff, people think youre not living, he said. If thats what you like to do, more power to you, go out on a hike, go travel.
Me and my wife love staying home. We love watching TV together, we love reading. What are you judging me for, because I am not living my life how you would do if you had money?
Were living a life as we designed it and as we want. Guess what, if we wanted to go out and go hiking, I can do that!
Throughout my career, I travelled so much for poker. I would travel to Atlantic City, LA, whatever for months at a time.
I would go to Europe for two straight months and I would see all these beautiful places, but they were always related to work. They were work trips.
I remember I would go to say, Barcelona, and people would ask me what it is like there and I would say I dont know, the hotel was nice and the room service was good because I didnt really experience it.
The truth is that the only two vacations Ive taken that were not poker related were my first honeymoon and my second honeymoon!
I am not a traveller. I much prefer staying at home. I feel that when Im at home, Im on a regular routine. I thoroughly enjoy that.
Vegas has proven the ideal base for Negreanu, because while the outskirts of the city overlooking the desert provide him the peace and quiet he craves, he does remain just a 15 minute drive from the strip.
It is down the famous Las Vegas Boulevard in the world famous Bellagio where you might be most likely to spot him.
The Bellagio is the venue of pokers most iconic high stakes environment: Bobbys Room. And thats the place where Negreanus world renowned status counts for nothing.
When you enter Bobbys Room, they dont care if you are Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama. Youre just a person with money. So lets sit down, put your money down on the table and lets shoot the s*** as they would say!
There is no sense of awe with these guys. They are all killers themselves.
Negreanu came through a generation of iconic poker players. He would often brush shoulders with legends such as Phil Hellmuth, Tony G, Sammy Farha, Scotty Nguyen and Doyle Brunson.
But over the years, those names began to disappear from the limelight as they couldnt keep pace with the younger, online-centred generation who were rapidly evolving the game.
The secret to success? Mindset.
If you get to the point where you think youre the best, and youve stopped learning and youve stopped working on your game - everyone else is still working really hard.
I have watched the Rocky movies a lot and there is this montage where Rocky Balboa is doing commercials, doing ads, but Clubber Lang is in the gym, hes working hard, sweat, blood and tears. What happens when Rocky fights him? Clubber Lang knocks him cold - because he was not prepared and not ready.
I always look at these young and up-and-comers and rather than think these kids have got nothing on me, I think what are these kids doing well? Is he better than me? And if he is, what is he doing so I can learn and be better?
I am constantly looking at my game, every six months to a year, looking if I am good enough and what do I need to be doing differently.
I think a lot of my generation has fallen off, because of an unwillingness to learn from them and they just chastise themselves.
So, what next for Negreanu? He actively admits that until this year's World Series of Poker, hes playing less than ever before - and his goal is now to create a version of himself that he is happier with.
I have done everything in my life and now I want to look the part, he explained as he talked through his decision to go through an extreme body transformation.
I have tried different things at different times, with varying degrees of success, but I found a really good coach, who is vegan and he put me on a good meal plan, a good workout plan, with a good mindset.
We went from 176lbs to 138lbs, which is a huge swing for someone of my size, but I feel great. Right now Im at 140 and the plan is to gain muscle over the next year.
I have always been someone who has been about self-improvement. I have always enjoyed working out, being on a plan, so it goes well with my way of thinking in life.
As for poker? When I was young, I had a clear goal in life in my early 20s, so that when Im in my 30s, I dont have to work, I can do whatever I want because I have enough money. And Ive accomplished that goal.
I play when I am inspired to play. I will play the high rollers, I will play the big tournaments, but outside of that, I have a pretty balanced life and it is not a case of burn out, because I still enjoy the game, but its just a case that I dont have to do it to put food on the table.
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - December 16th, 2020
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020
- Poker Strategy: In Omaha, Outs Aren't Everything, It's Whether You Improve Enough - Poker News Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Police arrest suspect connected to apparent killing of professional poker player Susie Zhao - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Daniel Negreanu Thinks Phil Ivey Is the Best Poker Player in the World - NBC Chicago - August 2nd, 2020
- Person in custody in connection with Oakland County professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 1st, 2020
- PKO US: Progressive Knockouts Roll out to Global Poker, WPN and Partypoker NJ - Pokerfuse - August 1st, 2020
- Ethan Yau Brings Audience Into His World Series of Poker Dream - PocketFives - August 1st, 2020
- Facebooks New ReBel Poker AI Scores Higher than Pluribus - Beat The Fish - July 31st, 2020
- Ivonne Montealegre discusses how live poker is embracing the online space - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With the Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- Facebook AI ReBel Capable of Beating Poker Pros | My Blog - Tight Poker - July 30th, 2020
- How to attract more luck into your life, using the 'poker mindset' - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition, and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- What Are the Best Poker Apps of 2020? - GameIndustry.com - July 30th, 2020
- Kai Havertz WILL face Rangers as Chelsea 'poker game' forces dramatic U-turn over 80m superstar - Daily Record - July 30th, 2020
- Man Utd in transfer 'poker game' for winger that could save Ed Woodward 55m - Express - July 29th, 2020
- This book is the new 'Moneyball' (and every investor should read it) - The Australian Financial Review - July 28th, 2020
- 5 Best Online Poker Sites for Real Money (2020) - July 26th, 2020
- Best 7 Online Poker Sites (2020) for Real Money - July 26th, 2020
- Best 9 Online Poker Sites for Real Money 2020 - Bonus to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Josh & Heather Altman Threw Son Ace an Adorable Poker-Themed 1st Birthday Bash - Bravo - July 26th, 2020
- Dont Hold Your Breath: Live Poker Not A Top Priority In Reopened PA Casinos Yet - Penn Bets - July 21st, 2020
- Chasing Poker Greatness: #68 Andrew Brokos: Co-Host ThinkingPoker Podcast & Author of Play Optimal Poker - Pokerfuse - July 21st, 2020
- The Phil Ivey Of Poker - HBCU Buzz - July 21st, 2020
- Venetian poker room going to 8-handed tables - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 21st, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Undark Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- NJ Special Legislation and the Impact on Online Casino Players in NY - Blog - The Island Now - July 21st, 2020
- Trump's approach to politics bears the hallmarks of a bad poker player, author says - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020
- Key Points To Consider When Choosing Online Poker Tables - Top10PokerWebsites - July 21st, 2020
- The Most Famous Woman in the History of Gambling - Poker Alice Story - Newswire - July 21st, 2020