The recent proposal for special legislation to be introduced in New Jersey relating to poker was undoubtedly great news for fans of the game in the state.
However, for players in neighbouring New York it is highly likely that the announcement will have left them feeling just a little deflated.
While New Jersey officials continue to be proactive in embracing the gambling boom, their counterparts in New York are still dragging their heels.
Read on as we take a closer look at the latest state of play for poker in New Jersey and assess how developments there may affect New York in the future.
NJ Aiming to Declare Poker a Game of Skill
Players already have plenty of online casino NJ opportunities for real-money games and their options would be widened if the new legislation is passed.
The bill aims to have poker classified as a game of skill and bluff and would therefore not be a form of gambling that is restricted by the provisions of the New Jersey Constitution.
This would mean that permit holders for racetracks in the state could establish a poker room at their venues on the basis that they retained a portion of the amounts wagered.
The games would fall under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement rather than the New Jersey Racing Commission.
Why Does the Bill Matter?
Establishing poker as a game of skill rather than a form of gambling is an important distinction to make and would have much wider reaching implications.
It would create new opportunities for the live poker industry and generate extra revenues for the various racetrack operators.
The latter point is a particularly pertinent one, with some venues in New Jersey currently struggling to make ends meet in the current financial climate.
Although there may be opposition from some Atlantic City casinos, the bill could have a good chance of passing as it is limited to the game of poker.
NJ Poker Boom Continues Apace
Online poker revenues continue to boom in New Jersey, highlighting the lucrative potential of the game in the state and elsewhere.
More than $3.5 million was generated by regulated operators there during June 2020 almost double the figure reported for the same period last year.
With revenues in April and May also showing a significant year-on-year increase, it is easy to see why officials in New Jersey are eager to cash in.
Allowing poker to be played at the racetracks would serve to heighten the games popularity and generate even greater revenues in the state.
New York Players Look on With Envy
While New Jerseys gambling boom is great news for players, operators and state finances, the situation is very different in New York.
The state has historically had some of the strictest gambling laws in the United States and has been reluctant to let off the brakes in recent times.
Although it is not illegal for New York residents to participate in online gambling, they have to use the services of operators located elsewhere.
However, the success of regulated online gambling in other states has left many NY players yearning for new legislation to be introduced in their jurisdiction.
Addabbo Leading the Poker Charge in NY
The push in New Jersey to have poker declared as a game of skill and bluff could have a major knock-on effect in New York.
Officials in the state have been trying for seven years to legalise online poker in the state, and they will be keeping a watchful eye on events in New Jersey.
A bill from Senator Joseph Addabbo to remove poker as an illegal game of chance has appeared back on file and may have a greater chance of succeeding than previous incarnations.
Passing new legislation for poker would not only be a positive move for NY players, but would also prove to be hugely beneficial for the state in terms of tax revenues.
NY Ready to Join the Poker Party
Given the difficulties many industries are facing in the current climate, it makes perfect sense for New York to ease the restrictions on poker.
The figures generated in New Jersey highlight the popularity of the game and operators are queuing up to replicate that success in New York.
The key to breaking down the barriers may well lie in the proposal in New Jersey to have poker declared as a game of skill and bluff as opposed to a form of gambling.
If that bill is passed, it would be no surprise to see Addabbos proposal rubber-stamped and that would be fantastic news for poker fans in New York.
Read this article:
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - December 16th, 2020
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020
- Poker Strategy: In Omaha, Outs Aren't Everything, It's Whether You Improve Enough - Poker News Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Police arrest suspect connected to apparent killing of professional poker player Susie Zhao - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Daniel Negreanu Thinks Phil Ivey Is the Best Poker Player in the World - NBC Chicago - August 2nd, 2020
- Person in custody in connection with Oakland County professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 1st, 2020
- PKO US: Progressive Knockouts Roll out to Global Poker, WPN and Partypoker NJ - Pokerfuse - August 1st, 2020
- Ethan Yau Brings Audience Into His World Series of Poker Dream - PocketFives - August 1st, 2020
- Facebooks New ReBel Poker AI Scores Higher than Pluribus - Beat The Fish - July 31st, 2020
- Ivonne Montealegre discusses how live poker is embracing the online space - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With the Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- Facebook AI ReBel Capable of Beating Poker Pros | My Blog - Tight Poker - July 30th, 2020
- How to attract more luck into your life, using the 'poker mindset' - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition, and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- What Are the Best Poker Apps of 2020? - GameIndustry.com - July 30th, 2020
- Kai Havertz WILL face Rangers as Chelsea 'poker game' forces dramatic U-turn over 80m superstar - Daily Record - July 30th, 2020
- Man Utd in transfer 'poker game' for winger that could save Ed Woodward 55m - Express - July 29th, 2020
- This book is the new 'Moneyball' (and every investor should read it) - The Australian Financial Review - July 28th, 2020
- 5 Best Online Poker Sites for Real Money (2020) - July 26th, 2020
- Best 7 Online Poker Sites (2020) for Real Money - July 26th, 2020
- Best 9 Online Poker Sites for Real Money 2020 - Bonus to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Josh & Heather Altman Threw Son Ace an Adorable Poker-Themed 1st Birthday Bash - Bravo - July 26th, 2020
- Inside the world of Daniel Negreanu: The life and making of poker's biggest superstar - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- Dont Hold Your Breath: Live Poker Not A Top Priority In Reopened PA Casinos Yet - Penn Bets - July 21st, 2020
- Chasing Poker Greatness: #68 Andrew Brokos: Co-Host ThinkingPoker Podcast & Author of Play Optimal Poker - Pokerfuse - July 21st, 2020
- The Phil Ivey Of Poker - HBCU Buzz - July 21st, 2020
- Venetian poker room going to 8-handed tables - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 21st, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Undark Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- Trump's approach to politics bears the hallmarks of a bad poker player, author says - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020
- Key Points To Consider When Choosing Online Poker Tables - Top10PokerWebsites - July 21st, 2020
- The Most Famous Woman in the History of Gambling - Poker Alice Story - Newswire - July 21st, 2020