Reader: Why all the fuss? If you don't want to run into a burning building, don't become a fireman. If you don't like high-speed chases, don't train to be a police officer. If you don't want to be exposed to possible contagious germs, don't become a health care professional.
My point is if you train and are compensated well financially and with ample benefits, then that should be enough. I tire of the constant barrage of accolades, free food, free gas, free car washes, etc., etc., etc., for so-called first responders!
Am I thankful for these above-mentioned people? Absolutely, but enough is enough. Once we start praising and rewarding with "goodies" certain professions, we leave out so many other well-deserving individuals and groups.
So again I ask, "Why all the fuss?"
Peterson: You could ask 1,000 people this question, and collect 1,000 different answers. I saw a similar sentiment in comments on our Facebook post asking people to honor heroes first responders and other front-line workers. That reader wrote that these individuals are not heroes, just people doing their jobs.
But I'll share how I see it, Robert, with thanks for taking my call Friday (We had a nice brief chat about how many handwritten letters we still receive at the newspaper; on average, about two a day come in by mail).
One, kindness. I think and see from the news and feature story ideas that come our way and our reporters dig up, that people simply want to show kindness to others during this pandemic.
Two, I think people want to help, and what form can that take during stay-at-home orders that many people have lived under for nearly two months? They may not have the proper training and authority to run into a burning building, and they may not have the education and licensing to save the life of a mother dying from the coronavirus, but they can sure help how they are able. And that may be in the form of offering free food or a service they are able to provide.
Does that mean other well-deserving individuals and groups may be left out, as Robert asks? Well sure. Maybe those kindnesses come in smaller but more direct ways, like the hefty tips I've given to the Shipt shoppers who've delivered my Target groceries (finding great substitutes when necessary, but yep, no toilet paper!), and the hearty verbal thank-yous I've given to two veterinarians and their staffs who have helped me in the last month.
A little kindness to some still seems like worthy kindness to me.
At a boardinghouse, all diners sit down at the same time at long table(s) and eat what is being served at that meal. You don't order off a menu, you share the food served in platters/bowls with the diners closest to you whether they are in your party or not. Your party is not separated from another party by any space.
The Nevada Basque restaurants mentioned in Mr. Lang's submission do not serve boardinghouse style. I am very familiar with these restaurants as well as all the Basque restaurants along the I-80 corridor between Reno and Elko, Nev. I've been eating at them for 30 years. I've made the trip along that corridor at least 18 times in the last 20 years and have eaten at each of the mentioned restaurants within the last year.
I've co-authored two articles for Nevada Magazine (August 1998 and November 2017) on those very restaurants. None of them serve boardinghouse style, they serve "family" style. Does "family" style sound familiar?
It should; it's how meals are served at the remaining excellent traditional Basque restaurants in Bakersfield such as Wool Growers and Benji's. The last semblances of Basque boardinghouse service that I know of are the "boarder's table" at Santa Fe Basque Restaurant in Fresno, and the one at Centro Basco Restaurant in Chino, both of which also have regular service.
In short, if you want to take a journey to Nevada and sample some Basque restaurants, it's a nice trip and some pretty good restaurants. But if you're going in search of a boardinghouse-style Basque restaurant, forget about it. The last one in North America, and probably the world, that served strictly boardinghouse style just closed.
Larry Errea, former director and president, Kern County Basque Club
Peterson: Thank you, Larry, for taking the time to write and share your expertise on boardinghouse and family dining, and Basque traditions. What rich history!
Reader: The word trump there are quite a few that mean the same for that sentence. Not needed for your byline.
Oh, well Kern County will be fooled twice come fall so shame on you. Until people start calling out Trump to his face (all on camera) every name in the book he wont stop his (expletive) show.
You want four more years of him?
Notice that headline has a lowercase "trump," and it is used as a verb.
Webster's New World College Dictionary, the one we use along with the Associated Press Stylebook, defines it in this case as to surpass or outdo. Regardless of your politics, trump, lowercase, was a perfectly fine word to use in this context.
Peterson: A reader wrote to point out and I think complain that my Sound Off columns aren't as long as my predecessor's and unless I am working more than 100 hours a week, I need to do better.
Sorry to disappoint, Mr. Reader who did not want his name used. I guess I'm failing in his eyes. The length of Sound Off largely depends on what I receive. Send some good comments and questions and I'll try to answer them here. Full first and last names are preferred.
Executive Editor Christine L. Peterson answers your questions and takes your complaints about our news coverage in this weekly feedback forum. Questions may be edited for space and clarity. To offer your input by phone, call 661-395-7649 and leave your comments in a voicemail message or email us at email@example.com. Include your name and phone number; your contact information wont be published.
- Analysts think Saquon Barkley could be the next Adrian Peterson - 247Sports - June 9th, 2020
- Is Saquon Barkley the next Adrian Peterson? - Giants Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Analyzing the NY Mets' Top 10 prospects: No. 6 David Peterson - NorthJersey.com - June 9th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson Says He Will Kneel During The National Anthem Without A Doubt - uSports.org - June 9th, 2020
- How Michigan couples are getting married - or not - during the coronavirus pandemic - MLive.com - June 9th, 2020
- Protesters Renew Demand To Change The Name Of Faneuil Hall - WBUR - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: The things you won't see in 2020 | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - June 9th, 2020
- Peterson: Iowa football allegations show the societal impact empowered college athletes can have here and nationally - Des Moines Register - June 9th, 2020
- James Peterson elected to roadbuilders hall of fame - Daily Reporter - June 9th, 2020
- McKinnon to test knee in workouts with AP - NFL.com - May 9th, 2020
- Behind the scenes with retail reporter Hayley Peterson - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 9th, 2020
- YouTuber Coyote Peterson willingly got stung by a Murder Hornet and it seemed awful - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 9th, 2020
- Student of the Week: Caley Peterson - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - May 9th, 2020
- Sebring quarterback headed to powerhouse program: Theyre going to get my 100% - WKBN.com - May 9th, 2020
- Restaurants begin opening to dine-in guests once again - Daily Journal Online - May 9th, 2020
- Dickinson surprises teacher, staff of the year with parade - The Dickinson Press - May 9th, 2020
- Apart.y Helps You Connect With Loved Ones From Afar - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Some Children Diagnosed With Coronavirus Also Stricken By Inflammatory Syndrome - News On 6 - May 9th, 2020
- The Book-Length Critique of Jordan Peterson Isn't Perfect, Either - Merion West - May 9th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 9th, 2020
- Bee Peterson: We want to work. We will do it safely. Let us help figure things out so we can reopen - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - April 27th, 2020
- Redskins Adrian Peterson reacts to Trent Williams trade with disappointment - ClutchPoints - April 27th, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - April 27th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson can play with both Thaddeus and Randy Moss in career - Redskins Wire - April 27th, 2020
- KC DoorDash driver starts petition for hazard pay; what other companies are doing - KSHB - April 27th, 2020
- Nursing homes sounded the alarm weeks ago, knowing COVID-19 could be devastating - WTSP.com - April 27th, 2020
- Three from Central Missouri to be inducted into MIAA Hall of Fame - The Daily Star-Journal - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan's 'last dance' at Carolina, through the eyes of his teammates - Winston-Salem Journal - April 27th, 2020
- The faces of adversity: Bemidji seniors mourn the death of a final season that never was - Bemidji Pioneer - April 27th, 2020
- Michael Jordan feared a certain NFL legend on the basketball court, according to his North Carolina roommate - CBS Sports - April 27th, 2020
- The economic fallout of COVID-19: Baxter Regional fights to survive - ktlo.com - April 27th, 2020
- Fighting the virus with personal freedom in socialist Sweden - Chicago Daily Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Maryann Plunkett, Liza Jessie Peterson and More to Appear on 10PM WITH GALINSKY - Broadway World - April 24th, 2020
- Politics behind the pandemic - WAOW - April 24th, 2020
- 'The Last Kids on Earth': Max Brallier and Scott Peterson on Season 2 and Beyond - Collider.com - April 24th, 2020
- Iowa State starts re-stocking what could be a depleted tight end position with immediately eligible transfer - Des Moines Register - April 24th, 2020
- Regis Jesuit alum David Peterson remains on track to make big-league debut for Mets in the near future - The Denver Post - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson: Sports were better back in the day | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - April 2nd, 2020
- Vernon J. Peterson of WEC Energy Group is Appointed Chair of the 2020 MEA Board of Directors - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson vs Jadeveon Clowney: Who was the better recruit? - 247Sports - April 2nd, 2020
- Sundays With Mike: the Peterson Guide to Social Distancing - KMAland - April 2nd, 2020
- Eufaulas Peterson named Super 12 Player of the Year - Dothan Eagle - April 2nd, 2020
- Man accused of making bomb threat arrested - pvtimes.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Peterson establishes testing point to limit spread of COVID-19 - csmng - April 2nd, 2020
- Check Out This Virtual Tour Of The Peterson Automotive Museum - TheThings - April 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - March 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 17th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 17th, 2020
- Ron Rivera wants Adrian Peterson to set the tone for his Redskins - Redskins Wire - March 17th, 2020
- City of Florence announces modified operations to prevent the spread of coronavirus - SCNow - March 17th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor - Peterson has this Republican's vote - Crookston Daily Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Critics of Social Justice, from Jonah Goldberg to Jordan Peterson - Merion West - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson was a great coach, better man - Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Even Da Crusher is prepared for coronavirus. A South Milwaukee resident took photos of the statue with face mask and toilet paper. - Milwaukee Journal... - March 17th, 2020
- Local psychologist offers tips on how to protect your mental health, talk to kids during coronavirus outbreak - ABC 57 News - March 17th, 2020
- Rebecca Peterson: The goal is to join the Olympics and keep climbing all the time - Tennis World USA - March 17th, 2020
- Peterson: Dear IHSAA, what are we doing here? Limit or cancel the boys' tournament - Des Moines Register - March 17th, 2020
- DoD issues travel restrictions: What this means for military in Colorado Springs - KKTV 11 News - March 17th, 2020
- REPORT: Tampa Bay Buccaneers to Announce Patriot QB Tom Brady Signing on Wednesday | - SpaceCoastDaily.com - March 17th, 2020
- Former MTSU baseball coach Steve Peterson through the years - The Daily News Journal - March 17th, 2020
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - February 16th, 2020
- Is Jordan Peterson the New Ayn Rand? - Merion West - February 16th, 2020
- Redskins' Adrian Peterson in arbitration with Morgan Stanley in latest money dustup - The Athletic - February 16th, 2020
- Coyote Peterson on 'Brave the Wild' - Mental Floss - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson takes over as new judge - Daily Astorian - February 16th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 16th, 2020
- Controversial Scholar Jordan Peterson Treated for Addiction in Russia - The Moscow Times - February 16th, 2020
- David Peterson eyes the impact of Pullman Porter Museum before 25th anniversary - Rolling Out - February 16th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- How Matt Peterson, an addict since childhood, got sober and learned to help others - WCPO Cincinnati - February 16th, 2020
- A High and Humble Calling - Bethel University News - February 16th, 2020
- Talented transfer fits in nicely with Barons - The San Diego Union-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 16th, 2020
- Peterson blasts big cuts to farm programs in Trump's budget - Echo Press - February 12th, 2020
- MonDak Ag Days and Trade Show to feature the Peterson Farm Brothers - Sidney Herald Leader - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Almost Died In Induced Coma During Withdrawal From Anxiety Drug, Daughter Says - The Daily Wire - February 12th, 2020
- Boys district basketball: Nicholas Mason, Jordan Peterson lead Medical Lake to district tourney win - Sports and Weather Right Now - February 12th, 2020
- No Charges Pending in Shooting Death of 24-Year-Old - County 17 - February 12th, 2020
- Barbara Kay: Jordan Peterson and the deadly overprescription of benzos - National Post - February 12th, 2020
- AGAR: The awful responses to Rush Limbaugh and Jordan Peterson - Toronto Sun - February 12th, 2020