Reader: First, I love The Bakersfield Californian the comics, puzzles, many great columnists, and of course, news. My father was a newspaperman also. He owned his own paper, lost it in the Depression and then worked for several other papers, including lastly, the N.Y. Daily News.
I am a tree lover, have owned several places with many types of trees pine, palm, mulberry, oak, crape myrtle, Chinese elm, maple, poplar, fruit trees, but I really love the Ailanthus. It's a beautiful tree and should not be belittled since it grows easily.
You may want a nice old oak tree, but if you move to a yard that has nothing but dirt, you'll be very happy to grow a lovely Ailanthus, which will give you shade within a year. Just because a tree is hardy and fast-growing is no reason to insult a tree that given the chance, can grow to be large and beautiful.
Joan Owen, Bakersfield
Peterson: Joan, I am thrilled to hear you love The Californian. While I don't come from a family of newspaper people like your father, my mom tells me my great-grandfather read multiple newspapers in English and Polish from cover to cover every morning in Chicago. We like to think that inspired my love for newspapers something in our genes!
I'm not a tree expert, but I think the description Steven gave of the Ailanthus "the back yard sports several so-called trees of heaven, a vigorous invasive species that clones itself so efficiently a sucker is growing from a crack in the covered front porch" is accurate. Some websites I looked at basically describe it as a weed, which seems a bit harsh.
I guess when it comes to trees, it's to each his or her own! We all have our favorites.
Reader: What a great edition of TBC you had on Wednesday, Aug. 5. Not only were there three great philosophical cartoons in the comics section, but that ad asking us readers to help out. You guys and gals are at the center of our big newspaper family universe. I was already going to call all the people you listed in your ad, even before I read the little letters that explained so much ...
Whoever wrote it and gave the final OK is both a genius, and a fair deal-maker. That piece of legislation mixed up the nation's newspaper business with the nation's lawmakers and we citizens, who are the final product. It's going to make newspapers live and thrive until the money that pays for those business and personal ads return ...
After I read the intro, I was going to agree even before I read the details. Not only would I like to thank the wealthy patriots who bought The Washington Post, the not-failing New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, I would like to thank whoever bought TBC. I don't care about any of the changes made when papers were merged to print in the same place. Someone bought TBC for the love of the game. Too bad the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Denver's big guy, and others were not able to last as long.
But, it's like every month you have to PAY people to come through the gates. It's not going to last forever, but there are real American First Amendment Intellectuals who will step up to the plate forever I hope.
Even though a lot has changed both internally and physically, and quickly it's still thrown on my driveway every morning. Life is good.
Thank you for hanging in there and printing that Wednesday TBC.
Peterson: Life is good with newspapers, Matt, and I'm glad you enjoy The Californian.
The legislation Matt's referring to is the Local Journalism Sustainability Act, which, if passed by Congress, would provide a tax credit for local newspaper subscriptions, a payroll credit for compensation of journalists and a credit for advertising in local newspapers and local media.
Reader: There are not many happy headlines to read in the paper these days, what with COVID-19, political wrangling, weather, fires, etc. But on July 31, John Cox made the best of a bad assignment with the headline "Lice become one more head-scratcher during pandemic." Very witty and funny! Keep up the good work, John.
Bob Goon, Bakersfield
Peterson: Believe it or not, Bob, John Cox wasn't assigned this story, which was much different from the business stories he most often tackles. Rather, he came across a news release in his email inbox about the prevalence of head lice as many families with children are staying close to home, and ran with it. And yes, that headline, which he kicked around with News Editor Teddy Feinberg, was perfect for this head-scratcher of a story.
Reader: I have to give you credit for consistency. Letters to the editor supporting Trump always give solid reasons and encouragement. Then there is the obligatory Trump hater or haters who have a lot of emotional problems that they have to vent. Even todays (Wednesday's) editorial cartoon about changing the election date is fundamentally a lie, misleading and contributes nothing to the solution of Californias grossly illegal and unconstitutional voting system. Oh, well, I dont expect you to change. I still enjoy my crossword puzzle.
Peterson: Glad you enjoy your crossword puzzle, Jerry.
For every person like you who says there are Trump haters who have emotional problems they have to vent, I hear similar comments from the other side.
I'm not sure how Wednesday's editorial cartoon, which depicted a woman looking at a photo of President Trump and saying "now he wants to move the election" is "fundamentally a lie" and "misleading." Is it the headlines in the newspaper the man is holding, which also are true?
Did not Trump tweet on July 30 that With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???
According to a July 31 Associated Press report, "GOP officials from New Hampshire to Mississippi to Iowa quickly pushed back against Trump's suggestion on Thursday (July 31) that it might be necessary to delay the November election which he cannot do without congressional approval because of the unfounded threat of voter fraud. They reassured voters that the election would proceed on the constitutionally mandated day as it has for more than two centuries."
Did I miss something, Jerry?
Executive Editor Christine Peterson answers your questions and takes your complaints about The Californians news coverage in this weekly feedback forum. Questions may be edited for space and clarity. To offer your input by phone, call 661-395-7649 and leave your comments in a voicemail message or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and phone number; your phone number wont be published.
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson Ridge has a new trailheadwith parking and bathrooms | Go Here | Bend - The Source Weekly - July 31st, 2020
- Man accused of shooting tenants' AC with shotgun - Rutland Herald - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 31st, 2020
- 'Voire Dire': How the Portage County Circuit Court inspired an opera, and now a CD - Stevens Point Journal - July 29th, 2020