SportsPulse: Dan Wolken and Paul Myerberg discuss if there will be college football this fall. As Wolken put its, all it takes is one bad outcome due to the pandemic to send the sport into chaos. USA TODAY
So now, were in a staring contest. Who will be the first to decide the fate of 2020 fall college football:College footballs biggest classification of strength (aka Power Five), or the NCAAs Board of Governors?
Let the staredown begin.
It actually started Friday afternoon, after the BOG accepted a Power Five and NCAA Division-I Football Oversight Committee request to delay a decision on whether to postpone championships this fall or to allow soccer, womens volleyball, cross-country, field hockey and lower-level football to proceed as usual.
Who blinks first?
No one wants to be the person that actually utters the play-on mandate, or pulls a cord on a sport that a lot of people think will eventually be pulled.
No one is leading college footballs overall plight to find a workable plan for a healthy fall season. How many quarantined players during a week equals not playing a game? Will anyone nationally be keeping weekly tabs on the number (not individuals names) of positive COVID-19 tests?
Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz and Bruce Harreld chat on the sidelines before the Hawkeyes' game against Northern Illinois at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018.(Photo: David Scrivner/For the Press-Citizen)
The Board of Governors meets again on Aug. 4. By then, maybe well know more, but for now, it looks like a situation in which no one wants to make the ultimate decision. Thats the takeaway from weekend conversations with people connected to all levels of college football.
The Big 12, SEC and ACC are waiting as long as they can before declaring their intent for football in the fall and the Big 12 might wait the longest. Schedule models have been formed, re-formed and tweaked.
Conference opponents only? Conference opponents plus one or two others? Starting the season on time? First games on Sept. 19 instead of Sept. 5? Pushing the season to the spring?
Its all out there. Hopefully, by the time fall camp opens during the first week of August, everyone will know the tentative plan.
Give the Board of Governors credit for listening to Power Five leaders who cringed that the rug would be pulled on the NCAA staging fall championships in the sports it oversees which isnt football at the highest level.
What would the optics have been if, for example, bigger conferences played football, while everyone else was sidelined? Ill help you.Not good.
Everyone now has a couple more weeks before the decision time clock expires to figure out workable solutions assuming one exists.
Oct 20, 2018; Fort Worth, TX, USA; Oklahoma Sooners athletic director Joe Castiglione speaks with former WWE host Jim Ross (right) before the game against the TCU Horned Frogs at Amon G. Carter Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports(Photo: Kevin Jairaj, Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports)
The largest schools want to play football, but only if its safe. Theyre trending toward changing the starting date some favor earlier, some later. Theyre trending toward a conference-only format that includes playing someone beyond whos on annual schedules. The buzz word is flexible.
On Saturday, Kansas added Southern Illinois to replace the New Hampshire game, which was lost when the Colonial League decided not to play football and the Wildcats chose not to seek an independent schedule. The Salukis originally were scheduled to play at Wisconsin, which was scratched with the Big Tens earlier scheduling decision.
Also over the weekend, Oklahoma moved its opener against Missouri State up a week to Aug. 29. The Sooners press release said the date was changed to allow more scheduling flexibility in addressing potential issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"If the season is indeed permitted to start as scheduled, the benefit of extra time between games will help our teams manage any variety of possible circumstances that may occur," OU athletics director Joe Castiglione said. "Our original schedule had an open date between the second and third games, so now we will have a span of five weeks to play three games. It provides us a more gradual approach to safely manage the conditions of these unprecedented times. We're thankful to Missouri State for their cooperation during this process and to the NCAA for allowing both teams to start the season a week earlier."
Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell celebrates with defensive lineman Steve Wirtel (39) after an NCAA college football game against Texas, Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, in Ames, Iowa. Iowa State won 23-21. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)(Photo: Charlie Neibergall, AP)
Theres another school of thought that goes something like this: Start later, like Sept. 19. Give the bubble in which football players have been existing time to re-seal after students converge on campuses having in-person instruction.
Both plans seem workable, assuming its even healthy enough to play.
Both seem all right, especially in a college football climate in which one plan doesnt necessarily have to fit every program.
Iowa State columnist Randy Peterson has been writingfor the Des Moines Register for parts of sixdecades. Reach him at email@example.com, 515-284-8132, and on Twitter at @RandyPete. No one covers the Cyclones like the Register.Your subscription makes work like this possible. Subscribe today at DesMoinesRegister.com/Deal
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson catches two TDs in 42-28 win over Campus - The Hutchinson News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020
- Washington Football News: Alex Smith part of Washingtons equation at QB when healthy; Love, Guice and Pete - Hogs Haven - August 3rd, 2020
- BWW Interview: Jon Peterson of P3 Theatre Company on Presenting Streaming Performances of Tour-de-Farce Comedy GREATER TUNA - Broadway World - August 3rd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson could benefit from the lack of offseason activities - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- Suspects in Monroe officer's line-of-duty shooting appear in court - WTOL - August 3rd, 2020
- Mets vs. Red Sox recap: The Mets beatdown in Beantown continues - Amazin' Avenue - August 3rd, 2020
- No mass shootings in the U.S. since the pandemic started what about once its over? - ABC27 - August 3rd, 2020
- Friends and family remember Amy Gibson on one year anniversary of shooting at Dawson fire station - Forsyth County News Online - July 31st, 2020
- Peterson wins MLB debut as Mets beat Red Sox 8-3 - theday.com - July 31st, 2020
- Flight Works Alabama is a new airspace exhibition and education center in Mobile - WKRG News 5 - July 31st, 2020