Before the Hutchinson High School football team could turn their attention to next weeks monster showdown with undefeated Maize, the Salthawks had to take care of business against Campus on Friday night at Gowans Stadium.
Tied at 14 late in the first half, quarterback Myles Thompson found receiver Treyton Peterson for a 50-yard touchdown to give the Salthawks a 21-14 lead heading into halftime.
Petersons receiving touchdown was the start of a 21-0 run that allowed the Salthawks to create separation en route to a 42-28 victory.
"That touchdown was especially important because Campus got the ball to start the second half," Hutchinson head coach Mike Vernon said. "I wouldnt say that was the main swinging point of the game, but it definitely helped us."
Of Thompsons 123 passing yards, 110 went to Peterson, including both touchdown passes. On the ground, Hutchinson rushed for 374 yards as a team.
Alec McCuan rushed for 185 yards, while Thompson gained 107 on the ground. Both McCuan and Thompson rushed for a touchdown, as did Jalen Barlow and Anthony Blackwell.
Vernon said Campus did a good job of taking away McCuan and Noah Khokhar on the ground, and praised Barlow and Blackwell for stepping up, especially in the second half.
"Campus did some things that other teams hadnt done to us this year," Vernon said. "We talked about at halftime how some other guys would have to step up. Im super proud of Barlow and Blackwell. Theyve been super selfless this year with blocking, and tonight they made some plays."
Campus struck first on a 63-yard touchdown run from Christian Sicard to take a 7-0 lead. The Salthawks responded with an eight-play, 88-yard drive that was capped off by a 7-yard touchdown from Thompson.
Blackwell put the Salthawks up by seven on a 5-yard score early in the second, but Campus answered on an 8-yard touchdown pass by Braelyn Jay to Jacob Rymer.
Tied at 14 with 14 seconds left in the first half, Peterson caught a pass on a comeback route, turned inside and made a man miss, then beat the safety deep for a 50-yard touchdown to give Hutchinson the lead at halftime.
A 3-yard rushing touchdown from Barlow and a 13-yard touchdown pass from Thompson to Peterson put the Salthawks up 35-14. McCuan scored a touchdown late in the fourth, and the Salthawks held on for a victory.
The Salthawks are now 6-1 on the season and 4-0 within the Ark Valley Chisholm Trail League Division I. All eyes will be on Hutchinson next Friday when the Salthawks host Maize (7-0, 5-0 AVCTL DI) next Friday to end the regular season.
"Were going to have to play mistake-free we cant turn the ball over or have stupid penalties," Vernon said. "Were also going to have to get off the field on third down. Thats our recipe to win every week, it doesnt matter who it is.
"Its going to be a great night of football in Hutchinson, Kansas at Gowans Stadium."
See more here:
- Peterson: Can pulsating brake lights reduce rear-end collisions? - Fleet Owner - December 17th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson shows off need for speed with impressive car collection - Arizona Sports - December 17th, 2020
- Sight unseen, Jessica Peterson finds everything she was looking for at UNK - krvn.com - December 17th, 2020
- Brewers Reportedly Sign Slugging 1B Dustin Peterson To Minors Deal - Reviewing the Brew - December 17th, 2020
- Early Signing Day: 2021 OLB Darryl Peterson signs with Wisconsin - Bucky's 5th Quarter - December 17th, 2020
- Jeremy Adams and Brandon Peterson on Flash #768 in March 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson announces funding to increase college broadband capacity - Record Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Peterson Health says it will know Wednesday when it will receive Pfizer vaccine - dailytimes.com - December 17th, 2020
- Lions' Week 15 Thursday Injury Report: Stafford, Ragnow, Golladay, Hand Out - Sports Illustrated - December 17th, 2020
- 28-year sentence recommended in fatal beating at Fargo apartment - INFORUM - December 17th, 2020
- Will the Defeat of Democrat Collin Peterson Be Good for the Climate? - Mother Jones - November 7th, 2020
- Letter: 'Whether or not Mr. Peterson was involved in drug crime, he should not have feared for his life, and he should not be dead, over something as... - November 7th, 2020
- Collin Peterson loses in CD-7, tight races in CD-1 and CD-2 - Bring Me The News - November 7th, 2020
- With roles reversed, Lee and Peterson face off again for NC Senate seat - Port City Daily - October 19th, 2020
- 198 thoughts on The Strange Fate of Jordan Peterson - Book and Film Globe - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson on how to defeat Cowboys without Dak Prescott: 'We have to force Andy Dalton to beat us' - CBS Sports - October 19th, 2020
- The Most Vulnerable Incumbent In The House Is A Democrat, But Republicans Are Defending More Competitive Seats - FiveThirtyEight - October 19th, 2020
- OU football: Joe Mixon and Adrian Peterson score, Baker Mayfield struggles, Sooners in the NFL week 6 - The Oklahoma Daily - October 19th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson passes Walter Payton on this list with latest rushing TD - 97.1 The Ticket - October 19th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: LB Isaiah Simmons 'not technically ready' for extensive role - Cards Wire - October 19th, 2020
- Letter | Peterson will serve Morrow County well as commissioner - East Oregonian - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson family still swinging at the LCC Foundation Golf Classic - Neuse News - October 19th, 2020
- Peterson offers fresh perspective | Letters To The Editor - Mankato Free Press - October 10th, 2020
- President Trump & AG Barr Sued for Vindictive Prosecution Against Black Politician Robert Peterson & Fields Associates Announced today -... - October 10th, 2020
- Olson, Peterson inducted into York Area Ag Hall of Fame - York News-Times - October 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson and the Vikings Won an Ultra-Rare Tuesday Night Game in 2010 - Sportscasting - October 10th, 2020
- Things to Do in Miami: Karen Peterson and Dancers' Virtual 30th Anniversary - Miami New Times - October 10th, 2020
- Fantasy football fallout post-NFL roster cuts: Adrian Peterson, Antonio Gibson, Cam Akers and more | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections -... - September 8th, 2020
- Former Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to sign with Lions - Vikings Wire - September 8th, 2020
- Will Adrian Peterson Be The Latest Addition To The Tom Brady Revolution In Tampa Bay? - Essentially Sports - September 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets shuffle starting rotation plans, including David Peterson to bullpen - Yahoo Sports - September 2nd, 2020
- Adrian Peterson rushing to catch Emmitt Smith in record books - Richmond Free Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Mets pitcher Steven Matz is hearing the footsteps of David Peterson - Rising Apple - September 2nd, 2020
- Recent Graduate Receives Fulbright Grant to Teach in Spain - ISU Bengal Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Letter: Peterson | Letters To The Editor | record-eagle.com - Traverse City Record Eagle - September 2nd, 2020
- Peterson family named conservationists of the year in Rice County, Minn. - AberdeenNews.com - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson Believes He Still Has a Lot to Prove - NBC4 Washington - August 31st, 2020
- Adrian Peterson still out to prove something - WUSA9.com - August 31st, 2020
- Meet the MBA Class of 2022: Caroline Peterson, University of Texas (McCombs) - Poets&Quants - August 31st, 2020
- Bay Area air-quality forecast for the week ahead - SF Gate - August 31st, 2020
- What the hail? P-S GAR JA can offer help - csmng - August 31st, 2020
- Female Truckers to Honor Women's Suffrage on Trip - Transport Topics - August 31st, 2020
- Will County coroner announces retirement | The Herald-News - The Herald-News - August 31st, 2020
- Breaking down the Washington backfield for fantasy football: Can Adrian Peterson hold off Antonio Gibson and Bryce Love? | Fantasy Football News,... - August 10th, 2020
- Nielsen pulls ahead of Peterson in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 10th, 2020
- Metros Lynn Peterson offers to reduce payroll tax rate in transportation package if business group remains - OregonLive - August 10th, 2020
- High-throughput testing system latest addition to combat COVID-19 at LRMC - United States Army - August 10th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson has goals: Breaking Emmitt Smiths rushing record, and a championship - The Dallas Morning News - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile COVID testing to soon hit the road in central Pa., will also deliver regular flu tests and shots - PennLive - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson: NCAA could be another casualty | News, Sports, Jobs - Daily Mining Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Andrew Peterson farm donations grind to a halt; funding in jeopardy - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Ducks in the show: Week Two - 247Sports - August 10th, 2020
- Rare tuna catch from shore attracts pack of giant roosters - For The Win - August 10th, 2020
- Peterson working to make sure HEROES Act ag provisions make it in final bill - brownfieldagnews.com - August 10th, 2020
- Controversial professor Jordan Peterson suffering with coronavirus and got worse after taking treatment dru - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- David Peterson Continues Solid Stretch in Win Over Marlins - metsmerizedonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Minnesota pastor appears on Penn and Teller's TV show | INFORUM - INFORUM - August 10th, 2020
- Professor Jordan Peterson reported to have COVID - The Bay Observer - Providing a Fresh Perspective for Hamilton and Burlington - August 10th, 2020
- SOUND OFF: Can trees, newspapers and Trump get any respect? - The Bakersfield Californian - August 10th, 2020
- Mets' Peterson getting more comfortable with every start - Newsday - August 9th, 2020
- 'Burnt orange runs through my veins': Westlake's Blake Peterson to play baseball at Texas - Hookem.com - August 9th, 2020
- Adrian Peterson reflects on favorite run of career back in 2009 - Vikings Wire - August 9th, 2020
- Bus driver shortages occurring locally due to pandemic - Picayune Item - Picayune Item - August 9th, 2020
- Peterson reports just five hospitalized from Kerr County with COVID-19 - dailytimes.com - August 8th, 2020
- Lake View City Officials Pleased To Announce New Lagoon Is Now Effectively Treating Wastewater - 1380 KCIM - August 8th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race, while Tilque, Anderson and Hendrix lead in council races - AZCentral - August 6th, 2020
- Nebraska AG Peterson Joins Bipartisan Coalition Urging Federal Government Action - STL.News - August 6th, 2020
- Lady Panthers volleyball camp integrates young players into the program - Liberty Hill Independent - August 6th, 2020
- 'Siesta Key': Fans Think Kelsey Owens Wanted to Dump Garrett Miller and Get Back With Jake Peterson All Along - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Investigation into Cottonwood Heights Police regarding 'use of force,' policy reform discussions underway - fox13now.com - August 6th, 2020
- More travelers are flying in and out of Yakima, leading Alaska Airlines to add a 2nd daily flight - Yakima Herald-Republic - August 6th, 2020
- PALERMO. Camila Giorgi surprises Peterson in the 1st round. HIGHLIGHTS - Tennis Tonic - August 6th, 2020
- Peterson has a slight lead in the Gilbert mayoral race. Here's a closer look at mayoral and council results - AZCentral - August 5th, 2020
- Peterson concerned about COVID-19, 'but work is work' - NBC Sports Washington - August 5th, 2020
- Angler Shows the Benefits of Fishing With a 'Tiny Child Rig' and What it Looks Like Underwater - Wide Open Country - August 5th, 2020
- Bush shocks Clay in congressional primary: 'We the people have answers' - Cherokee Tribune Ledger News - August 5th, 2020
- Robin Peterson Reveals He Was Once Called The 'K-Word' By A Former South African Cricketer - Cricket Addictor - August 4th, 2020
- Peterson: Who wants to clean up this mess? - Vail Daily News - August 4th, 2020
- FARMERS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA MEET WITH FARMERS IN THE CROOKSTON AREA - kroxam.com - August 4th, 2020